Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel SUITE | Tutorials, Guides and General workflow tips

Hi everybody!

I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where all the tips & tricks and workflow guides could be gathered. I´ve been getting quite a few questions regarding how I do certain things so I thought I would kickstart this thread with my guide on: "How to create custom patterns for DDO" posted below. Please feel free to share your own guides & tutorials, and try to keep the format user friendly!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Models not loading properly into 3Do seem to be a common theme here. I've attached my settings that, so far, work flawlessly on any model I've loaded. This also applies to dDo Legacy's viewer as well.

BExLP8I.jpg
  • Eric Ramberg
    This tutorial will show every step in making custom patterns for DDO. I am by no means a Photoshop wizard and I´m sure there are multiple ways of reaching the same if not better results, but this is how I do it.

Most smart materials can be created using the already included materials and the Dynamask editor, but for those rare cases when you need something else, that´s what this tutorial is for!

So what is a pattern and what can it be used for? A pattern is a simple black and white texture that is used in the DDO Dynamask editor, the pattern can also contain normal map information should it need to. The patterns that are already included in DDO are located in the material browser under “Patterns”

k9TslCL.jpg

There is an option to import a Grunge mask straight in to Dynamask, there is even a sizeable library of included grungemasks to chose from. This is an excellent compliment that I use very frequently.

m608xJN.jpg

This feature can be used instead of creating a custom pattern as a material, but I like the fact that they are so instantly accessible and easier to to tile than Grunge maps. You also have the option to include a normal map which can be very important at times

I usually make my patters 4096x4096, you never know what you will end up using them for in the future, and 4K is sufficient for most things. For this tutorial we will be doing a dirt pattern, quite grungy. These kinds of patterns are easier to make than The tiger stripes for instance, but the principal is the same. I´ve used a photo I took myself, partly because it is gratifying to make something from scratch, but mostly to avoid copyright infringement. This is the picture I will start from.

Sn1pLHn.jpg

This image is in raw format which can be extremely helpful at times, for this image though I didn’t do to many changes in the Photoshop
    RAW importer. First I used “Match Color” on the blue, and desaturated it and reduced lightness, all in the “match color” window. After that I desaturated the image. That leaves us with this:

4WAIFkI.jpg

Since the original image isn´t 4096 pixels high I´m going to have to do some cut and paste. I also need to cover the locking mechanism and chain. Luckily the image is wider than 4096 pixels, that means I can use some parts to cover and prolong the texture without having certain details repeat. I simply cut parts of the image that I know won´t be used in the end, and paste them to cover the “problem areas”. My very simple technique for doing this is to always overlap the cut out patch and use eraser and clone tool to mask the edges. It helps to have brushes suitable for the task, here I used very grungy brushes. After that we are left with this:

7uvPV4E.jpg

The next step is to make sure the background is completely black, this will ensure that it will be completely transparent when used as a mask. There might be cases when you don´t want that of course, but for this texture I only want the dirt to show. I use Curves and levels to achieve this. I´m making sure that I don´t blow out the grey/white since I want the dirt to look natural. Next step is to make sure it tiles, again, you don’t have to do this, but since it makes the pattern so much more versatile I always make sure my textures tile. using photoshops “offset” filter we are left with this:

jQrE05O.jpg

Its starting to get there but we obviously need to fix the tiling here. What I usually do is I make a copy of the layer before tiling it, and I keep the original layer underneath. I then proceed to use the eraser tool on the top layer and remove all the tiling. Its good to work at close to 100% zoom here so that your texture comes out nice and perfect. If you zoom out to far its very easy to loose sight of details and your texture will end up with obvious clone/brush marks. Very important again to use brushes that blend well with the texture here. After this step the texture look like this:

QAsPjNg.jpg

Notice that all the tiling is gone but the texture looks quite natural and you can’t really tell that it has been tiled.
    We´re close to the finish line here, at this stage I usually use the “offset” feature in Photoshop to restore the texture to the “Default” position, this is only personal preference. Its also a good time to look the texture over and do the final touches. Make sure the black/white balance is correct. So after all the polish and offsetting it back to it´s original position the texture looks like this:

PZIACzr.jpg

As you can see the the white parts are not entirely white, I did not want to push it any further since I didn´t want
    to loose all the nice details. You can always do the final push in Dynamask editor once the texture has been made in to a pattern.
    That being said, your patterns should not be hazy or grey when they don´t need to be.

At this point I could call this done and just import it in to DDO, but I also would like to make a normal map to really give the grime a sense of dept when using this pattern. So all I have to do is open NDO and use the photo-normal automatic converter, make sure to check “tillable” before converting. After tweaking the settings this is what I came up with, as I want it fairly subtle it looks quite flat, but that is what I was going for here.

LNo71so.jpg

From this point the process is very simple, open up DDO, click “Input custom material”, insert albedo and normal (optional)
    and click “Create Material.”

OrpStIL.jpg

To demonstrate the results I´m using a very simple project with the “Scratched painted metal 07” as a base, I´m using the “Muddy dirt” material as the dirt, scaled down to -1 with the albedo texture intensity lowered. The layer stack in DDO looks like this:

ls3Nm5t.jpg

Notice that the normals for the dirt is in a separate layer that has the pattern set as the material.
    And here is how it looks in 3do, not to shabby:

jDTRpmK.jpg

This is obviously the most basic use for this custom pattern.
    Lets have a look how it tiles:

oLxJQ4J.jpg

The tiling is somewhat obvious but it works correctly. With this guide you can now start making your own custom patterns and I hope that I have demonstrated with this example that it is an easy and fast way workflow.

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome tutorial. thanks.
  • EoinOBroin
    Offline / Send Message
    EoinOBroin polycounter lvl 3
    Eric, thanks for this- really thorough tutorial! I've been wondering how to make dirt masks for a long while now- this just gave me an excuse to go out and shoot some grimy walls and then play with the results in DDO!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Glad you like it! And you should go out and shoot your own textures it´s a lot of fun, remember to use a tripod if you can, really helps with that final sharpness push!
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I love being 'that weirdo' at the park that has his camera pointed at the sidewalk when everyone else is taking pictures of landscapes, architecture, or each other. :P
  • OutOfMyMind
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    That's awesome tutorial!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Anything in particular you would like to see in a tutorial in the future?

CKhol - I have seen some hilarious pictures of Teddy doing this... :D
  • Devil_Inside
    Do you think that it might be a good idea to add those tips/tutorials to the Quixel wiki?
    As for what I'd like to see is some examples of organic/skin texturing.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Yes it will be on the wiki as well! Organic texturing you say, that´s cool! anything else?
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Thanks for doing this, easy to follow and well written.

+1 on skin texturing tutorial.
  • beddowz94
    Would love to see a tutorial on how to get a high poly zbrush model into dDo !
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    beddowz94 wrote: »
    Would love to see a tutorial on how to get a high poly zbrush model into dDo !

If you mean a zbrush model that has normal maps etc, just make sure your lowest poly has UV and create a Normal map. If you like, use poly paint to paint areas for colourID. Use multimap export to export everything you want, then export the low poly model and import the lot into DDO. Should be relatively simple, and not much different to getting your zbrush model into any other 3d package.
  • Eric Ramberg
    We´re putting together a Organic/monster/skin-tutorial right now!
    Since we´ve been getting a lot of questions about high-poly texturing I´m thinking a tutorial on that would also be good. Any particular things regarding highpoly texturing that you want more information on?
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    The hardest part, for me, was creating a map (either normal or curvature) that would allow for effective use of the smart materials, without having to majorly tweak the dynamasks. That would be good info. It would either have to go into the best settings for xnormal, or how to best to create a curvature map with good cotntrast.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Thanks for the feedback robb! Its a good point, I´ve seen many struggle with that step!
  • Martin7
    The hardest part, for me, was creating a map (either normal or curvature) that would allow for effective use of the smart materials, without having to majorly tweak the dynamasks. That would be good info. It would either have to go into the best settings for xnormal, or how to best to create a curvature map with good cotntrast.

There's no way ATM to create a curvature map that works with DDO and smart material .Teddy did confirm the problem and that a fix is on the way. I'd still be interested in viewing what's best setting in xnormal to create good curvature map.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not true. I have done it. I'll find a link to my post.
  • Gordon Robb
  • Martin7
    Well it works if you dont use the medium,big, large and huge slider in dynamask curvature.
  • Devil_Inside
    Yeah, I too would like to see an example of how to generate a curvature map. The only good curvature map I was able to generate was through substance designer. Every other tool or method is plainly wrong. The suggestion to use a high pass filter on the AO is also wrong and just doesn't give you a proper curvature map. xNormal curvature is also really weird, it uses raycasting and generates cavities where in reality there is just ambient occlusion.
    In theory the curvature map doesn't need any raycasting and should be generated either directly from mesh or from a normal map, but also take into consideration the edges of UV islands.
    I spent the last few days researching this topic and came to the conclusion that at the moment, Substance Designer is the only tool that generates a proper curvature map. I hope that in the future, Quixel will be able to generate it's own proper curvature map that takes UV island in consideration.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    Billy Lundevall polycounter lvl 7
    The following tutorials wasn't really meant to be posted in a thread like this but will be here temporarily. They might go in to a bit of more detail then necessary for this kind of platform and will be available on the Wiki as well later on.

So here is a little tutorial on how I created the skin for the Bat Man model showed in our GDC trailer this year. This is actually a very simple setup based on one of the standard smart materials in the Quixel Suite and is the exact same method used on my troll model.
    The Quixel Suite might be able to do some magic for you, but it all starts with good base maps. The better the base maps, the better the results will be with the preset materials or anything else that will use the masking features. Do them properly.

This is my usual setup, which includes an “ID Map” to define what material should go where, a “Tangent Space Normal Map” for some texture based trickery when the existing geometry isn’t enough, an “Ambient Occlusion Map” to define what is most exposed to light, or in some cases what is in a crevice or inside a closed object, an “Object Space Normal Map” to define directionally specific details and a curvature map to define small details like wrinkles, scratches or harder edges. In some cases I also use a gradient map for materials that gradually fade over the mesh, this are also the things that most of the included Smart Materials is based on, if a specific map would be missing that part of the masking simply would not take place. DDO will however create a curvature map from the tangent space normal map if you do not plug in one of your own, and it does a pretty good job of doing so.

I baked all of my maps in Xnormal, something that you will be able to do directly in the Quixel Suite shortly.

01%20-%20Inputs%20%28alt%29.jpg

For the outputs I unchecked both “Bump” and “Ambient Occlusion” since I will not need them for my purpose, which is rendering and left “Albedo”, “Specular”, “Gloss”, and “Normal” checked.
    I left the calibration profile at the default setting since I don’t work for any specific engine or anything that requires any modifications of my textures.
    The “Texel Density” will directly influence the size of the detail patterns applied to your materials, this is also a number we see being confused a lot. What it actually refers to is the surface area of the texture itself. So if you were to have a UV mapped flat plane of 1x1 meters, and wanted a 2k texture the value would be 2048 pixels/m2. This number doesn’t have to be super accurate, as long as it isn’t a crazy low or high value. If you are uncertain, just leave it at the default value. There is room for tweaking after the project has been created.

02%20-%20Base%20Maps%20Input.jpg
    03%20-%20Outpout%20Maps.jpg

Alright, now just hit create and after some loading you should be greeted with a grey square and some open Photoshop documents, which in this case indicates success! You will also see this nifty little window where you can add a Smart Material by clicking the button showed in the picture, which will open the “Material Browser”.

04%20-%20Add%20Smart%20Material.jpg

In this case we will use the Smart Material called ”Monster Skin”, which is found under the “Organic” tab in the left side menu in the Material Browser.

05%20-%20Add%20Smart%20Material.jpg

And after hitting create, this is what we should see without any tweaking.

06%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg
    07%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg

Now it’s time to mask the material so it is applied to the areas where we want it. To do this you click the white square next to the materials group in DDO’s window, which opens the “Dynamask editor”. To mask via ID, simply expand the category by clicking the small arrow on the right side of the tab and click links. A window with your ID map called the “Mask ID Editor” will show up. To select a color simply click it in that window, to select several colors, hold CTRL while clicking on the additional colors you want. After this, click done to close the Mask ID Editor and then click “done” in the Dynamask Editor to apply the mask. Sometimes this glitches out on me and just leaves me with a black mask. If you experience the same issue, simply open the Dynamask Editor again by clicking the mask once more, change nothing and hit “done” again and the change will apply.
    In this particular project this step wasn’t really necessary since the entire thing uses the same material, but it also looks cleaner in the texture map so I did it anyway, I also changed the background color to black for some extra neatness.

08%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg
    09%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg
    10%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg

After this step there is not really that much more to it, I just tweaked the color value of the “Skin blues”, “Skin greens” and “Skin reds” until I had a color I liked. This can be achieved by simply clicking the box representing the layer color in DDOs menu or in Photoshops layer menu. I also tweaked the “Scale” for the individual layers until I had something I liked, this number determines the size of the pattern overlay DDO uses to add detail to your texture.

11%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg
    12%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg

The rest of the tweaks were done on the albedo map only and with custom solid color and adjustment layers, using DDOs masking features. This can be done on any Photoshop layer with a mask attached to it and is done by creating it in Photoshops layer menu, in this case I used “Solid Color” layers. (My PC sadly ignores the menu where you find these while taking a print screen, but it’s located next to the “Create New Group” button in Photoshops layers menu and looks like a half filled circle)

For the highlights, I created a mask using the Ambient Occlusion tab in Dynamask, for the spots I used dirt masks, something Eric has already done a tutorial on and can be found in earlier in this thread.

Sometimes people sound surprised when I tell them you can just add whatever layer you want in Photoshops own layer menu and/or just paint stuff in when texturing with DDO, but there is nothing hindering you from doing so.

11%20-%20Monster%20Skin.jpg
    13%20-%20Custom.jpg
    15%20-%20Custom.jpg
    15%20-%20Custom%200.jpg
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    And finally, I added a contrast and saturation tweaks using a Photoshop levels and a vibrance layer. And that is it :).

Billy out.

16%20-%20Custom.jpg
    18%20-%20Final.jpg

Batman%20copy.jpg
    17%20-%20Final.jpg
    troll_00.jpg

Troll%20-%20Diffuse.jpg
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    We have been seeing a lot of requests lately on a texturing workflow for high-resolution models with DDO, so I put together this little guide on how I have created the base maps for my high resolution projects. The pictures shown below are examples that have no lower or higher resolution version then the one shown in the final render. So, let’s get started.

uzi_01.jpg
    akm_bayonet_01.jpg

The method I use to get good base maps might be a little bit backwards but it will work with any project and isn’t really any different from what you would do when baking maps to a low-resolution model from a higher resolution version. So, how does one get around this? I simply bake the high resolution model onto itself. Does that work? Indeed it does. And here is the proof, the final textures for my UZI model.

uzi_06.jpg

I am assuming that most people don’t bake cavity maps at all and just let DDO convert a tangent space normal map into a cavity map, something it does very well and will do automatically if no one is specified. But in this case we might not have a tangent space normal map at all or in my case, one with only a bit of symbols made in NDO and a bit of sculpted damage, neither do we need one as the only thing DDO really uses it for is to convert it into a curvature map and then use its black and white value for masking as well as putting it as a base texture on the output normal document.

What 3D application and what program you use for baking doesn’t really matter but the steps may vary, of course. I create my models in Maya and bake my base maps in Xnormal.
    So to get this started, I usually explode my model so no part of it is in contact with anything else, this is because parts that are close may cause errors in the bake where the cage from one object penetrates the other. I then smooth the model to the wanted level of detail and then export it as an .OBJ file. I am using Mayas “Smooth Mesh Preview” when modelling, so none of my parts are actually the polycount they appear to be and if exported this way, they would be the actual number of polygons instead of the smooth model I want. Depending on what kind of model I make I also export an assembled version at times to generate an ambient occlusion map, this will generate a somewhat crude map with a few errors, but I mainly use my ambient occlusion maps to tell DDO what is on the inside of the model for grease, oil and such and don’t really use it for anything else, so it doesn’t really matter to me.

03%20-%20Diagram.jpg

Now comes the somewhat funky part, after exporting the mesh I start up Xnormal and import it under “High definition meshes”, I also import the exact same file under “Low definition meshes”.

04%20-%20Xnormal.jpg

I then hit the “3D Viewer” button and click “Launch viewer”. Xnormal might complain on your mesh scale while doing so, if that is the case you can scale the model up by increasing the value under “Mesh scale” on both meshes, which is found in the high and low definition mesh tabs or you could do as me and just model in the correct scale to begin with and never be bothered by this ;).

05%20-%20Xnormal.jpg

When inside the viewer, the camera might not be focusing on the mesh, if so, just click the icon that looks like a looking glass over globe in the top left corner and it will find it for you. The viewer also uses game controls and you can move around with the WASD keys. Now, click “Show cage” to show the cage and then drag the “Mesh global extrusion” slider a little bit to the right to expand it a little bit, you don’t need to extrude it much at all, just so it covers the parts. I have tried this without extruding a cage and it produces errors, even though the meshes are identical for some reason.

06%20-%20Xnormal.jpg

When you are happy with your cage, press the “Save meshes” button, this will open Windows standard explorer menu, then save the temporary file anywhere you like and call it whatever you like. After you click “Save” you will be asked if Xnormal is going to automatically switch your imported meshes for the new ones, click yes and then hit escape to exit the viewer.

07%20-%20Xnormal.jpg

Now, go into the “Baking options” tab and select “Curvature map” and/or anything else you might want generated at the same time. I usually bake an object space normal map in the same step as well and then bake a separate ambient occlusion map with the assembled version of the mesh like mentioned earlier. If you have vertex colors your model you could also bake a Color ID map with the “Bake highpoly’s vertex colors” option, I however usually do mine caveman style and just paint them in Photoshop.

08%20-%20Xnormal.jpg

We do however need to tinker a little bit with the curvature settings, since it will generate the map with a green background by default. So click the green square with 3 dots next to the map name to enter its options. In here we change the background color by clicking the colored rectangle in the bottom of the options window then changing the color to a 50% grey. You don’t really need to tinker with anything else, the default settings work just fine for most stuff.

09%20-%20Xnormal.jpg

After this is done, just enter the size you want your maps generated in under “Size” and then select where you want them to end up under “Output File” and click the round “Generate Maps” button in the lower right corner of the interface and then just let Xnormal do its thing. And here are my two output maps, enjoy :).

Billy out.

UZI_curvature.jpg
    UZI_object_normals.jpg
  • PlateCaptain
    Thanks for the awesome tutorials, Billy!

Also, just as a heads-up, in the first tutorial, you have the paragraph that starts with, "Alright, now just hit create and after some loading..." in there twice. If you're going to copy/paste the tutorial somewhere else, might want to take that one out.

This is perfect timing for me, since I'm working on a character right now who's waiting for a skin texture.
  • Martin7
    Is this curvature map a bit strange? Like the lightest gray here is a middle gray. In a normal curvature map, there's light gray to show convex curve and dark gray to show concave one and middle gray to show flat surface. But in your example , there's no lighter gray than 50%?

But then I tested your setting for a curvature map in xnormal and i got a regular curvature map with dark, middle and light gray. Am i missing something? Not that i does matter much as your results are obviously really good, i'm just curious.

UZI_curvature.jpg
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    PlateCaptain: No problem man, and I had to paste it part by part since all the images had to be linked and made a mistake. I will fix it :).

Martin7: Yes, there is actually something funky with this one. I might have edited it and saved it over or something while working. I will have to find the original one or re-bake it. Good catch man.

//Edit: I found the original map and replaced the weird one without the lighter values.
  • Martin7
    Makes much more sense now and thanks Billy for the tutorials. Do you think it could be possible to make it a quixel downloadable sample file with the mesh and ddo file? As there's no official sample file for high poly model that we can study from. I would be personnally please with just the machine gun sample.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, the UZI is a model I originally made as a personal project and I made every single detail on it with geometry only, including the inside of the gun, which took over a month to finish.

Quixel doesn't own it and I won't give it away. Making some sort of test kit with another model might be a possibility though, if they want me to.
  • Martin7
    That's quite understandable, thanks!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Any more requests on what you guys want to see next! (Let´s refrain from the obvious "Megascans" joke :) )
  • Finalhart
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Any recommended workflow for adding decals? Haven't seen it anywhere. Nice work Eric, great tutorials!
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    Decals in what sense? Adding a part from another image not related to DDO is as simple as just throwing it in there like you would with any other layer or image in Photoshop. You can then use the "Copy layer to all maps" function to have it end up on the same location on all your maps :).
  • tach
    I'd like to know how to import custom materials in the way Quixel does. Every time I've tried adding new ones it turns out poorly (still usable but less refined than Quixel's). What's the process you follow exactly?
  • Eric Ramberg
    tach are you talking about materials or patterns? For patterns there is a guide in this thread, for materials its a different story. The materials that comes with the suite are from an earlier version of Megascans, they are real world surfaces scanned with Quixel hardware, so it would be very hard to emulate the same result yourself. But you can of course add your own material from reference photos or images captured by yourself!
  • tach
    I'm talking about custom materials indeed. As in importing pbr scanned textures from other sources into ddo. I believe the issues I'm getting, things like artifacts/spikes caused by height displacement, are caused by the format of the imported files. If you could share what's the source file format ddo uses for its material's textures that'd be great.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like a walk through on adding decals too. What I mean is if I have a nice material done, wear and all. And I want to add text, or a sticker on part of the mesh. I want a walk through on how to do it, so that I can get the sticker, with some thickness in the normal, and maybe make its edges tattered etc.
  • Devil_Inside
    I would like a walk through on adding decals too. What I mean is if I have a nice material done, wear and all. And I want to add text, or a sticker on part of the mesh. I want a walk through on how to do it, so that I can get the sticker, with some thickness in the normal, and maybe make its edges tattered etc.

+1
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message

Well, this can be arranged. Although, it would have to be a combination using both NDO and DDO to make the normal part and some standard Photoshop functions.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    tach wrote: »
    I'm talking about custom materials indeed. As in importing pbr scanned textures from other sources into ddo. I believe the issues I'm getting, things like artifacts/spikes caused by height displacement, are caused by the format of the imported files. If you could share what's the source file format ddo uses for its material's textures that'd be great.

Just tweak the Height slider in your material property, that should fix it.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    Me and Eric have now discussed this. I will be creating a quick decal guide, probably later today.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, this can be arranged. Although, it would have to be a combination using both NDO and DDO to make the normal part and some standard Photoshop functions.

This would be ideal.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so here is a little tutorial on how to add a texture decal on to your texture with the Quixel Suite. For this example I used my UZI once again, this time with my updated textures which are still a work in progress, don’t be mean!

For starters, we need to find our decal, here is the one I will use (it’s already cut out, I just added the black background for clarity).

02%20-%20Logo.jpg

To add the detail to your document, open it in Photoshop and drag/drop it into one of your DDO documents, copy paste it or import it anyway you want and then place it where you want it to appear on the texture. What document you put it in is irrelevant, I used the Albedo here.

I have made a group on top of all the DDO materials where I keep all the custom stuff, this is nothing you need to do but it’s a nice way to keep things organized. Custom layers can be added anywhere in the document.

03%20-%20Add.jpg

Next thing we need to do is to apply this decal to all the maps, this is done with a feature called “Copy layer to all maps” which is found in the top right menu in DDOs window. Despite the name of this feature, you will get a dialog box asking you what maps you want the layer copied to (we need to rename that thing), in my case it’s all of them.

04%20-%20Propagate.jpg

After you hit “Propagate”, the layer will be copied to the respective maps and you will now have an identical version on all of them. This of course is not what we want since the color information will have weird results in the normal and since this is a sticker-type decal I also want it to have a uniform specular and gloss value. To get around this I created solid color layers and used a clipping mask to bind them to the decal layer, this way I have a simple value to tweak restricted to the area of the decal with a uniform color.

To create a clipping mask, place the layer you want to clip down above the layer you want it clipped to, then right click on it and select “Create clipping mask” or hold ALT while hovering on the line between the layers and click while the cursor symbol changes to a box with a bent arrow. Do this in both the Gloss and the Specular documents.

05%20-%20Color%20FIll.jpg

After this, it’s time to tweak the normal. In this case we will not actually keep the copied layer, rather use its silhouette to create a selection which we can use with NDO. So firstly, we will create a selection buy holding CTRL and clicking the square representing the layer in Photoshops layer menu. This will select all the pixels within the layer. After this, we start NDO and click the convert selection button.

07%20-%20Normal%2001.jpg

Since this is within a DDO document, it will create a few things we won’t need like the backing layer and the thingamajig on top of our newly created normal so we can just delete them along with the old decal layer.

06%20-%20Delete.jpg

Now we need to change the blend mode of the decal to “Normal”, this will make it a solid color and keep the details underneath from showing through. After that, tweak the settings to your liking and then click the little zipper icon in the bottom left corner of NDOs interface to save some well needed performance.

09%20-%20Normal.jpg
    08%20-%20Normal%2002.jpg

And that’s it my friends. We now have a sticker placed on our gun, Counterstrike Global Offensive style. Enjoy.

Billy out.

10%20-%20Render.jpg
  • iinewmanii
    I can't import a grungemask into dynamask without it crashing the suite and photoshop. I have up to date photoshop cc on win 7 64 bit.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great, but I'm confused by the first step :)

You have a decal that is black background? or transparent background?

also, when you say drag and drop into DDO, where? Are you suggesting we create a new material layer on top over everything we have and import it into that?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Linewmanil - If you could create a new thread with your issue that would be great! We´ll try to keep this threat strictly Tips and tricks :)
  • Billy Lundevall
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great, but I'm confused by the first step :)

You have a decal that is black background? or transparent background?

also, when you say drag and drop into DDO, where? Are you suggesting we create a new material layer on top over everything we have and import it into that?

The decal has a transparent backround, if it would have a solid background that would simply be part of the decal.

And no, you don't need to create a DDO material at all. You just put the decal inside the Photoshop document like you would with any other image or project in Photoshop.

A DDO project is simply a bunch of standard Photoshop documents, so doing things outside of DDOs interface or combining functions from the Quixel suite with standard Photoshop features works just fine.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Anything more you want to see a tutorial on? Then now´s your chance, tell us what you want!
  • Vipera
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    I would like to see the steps how to modify a smart material by some custom maps and save result material to the library for future use. Lets say I have applied a smart material of metal with painted surface and scratches. Now I want to replace its solid color of painted metal to some camouflage texture and keep all scratches how they were. Then I want to save new material to the library. I have made such steps myself but I have a sense that I made it not in a right manner.
  • OutOfMyMind
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    No has ever explained in detail what "quality curvature" option does. Googled that. No need for tutorial, but detailed answer would be great.

Would like to learn how to exagerate the edge mask made from curavture map(in way like tightness option works). Plus how to blur that mask.