Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Luke003

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Luke003 polycounter lvl 8
Love polycount. Been mostly just lurking, trying to learn as much as I can. Now that I'm finally coming up on the end of my schooling I am trying to pop the clutch on my 3D. (and my 2D as well)

Please crit away. I need the feedback. I'm driven to improve. :)

First up is a baseline. My first legit model. More of a workflow study than anything. Female cable:

8021860913_64a4ba38a4_b.jpg
8021860835_88d0823e96_b.jpg

Once I get into a groove and start getting better at this I am going to come back to this and redo it so I can see my progress.

Next is this pet project I have been working on the last couple of weeks between working on my thesis. I am trying to model my car. Practicing hard-surface, texturing, baking, etc.. All I have done so far is the wheel/tire.

High-Poly:
8194125757_17c45b8a41_b.jpg
8195219038_9a46dbcfab_b.jpg

Low-Poly:
8194125875_fe09294967_b.jpg
8195219188_0003a29501_b.jpg
8195219154_3178807fd1_b.jpg

Texture Sheet:
8195285758_b15d20fe9b_b.jpg

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks for viewing. :)

Replies

• Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Been super busy with work lately. Three non-3D jobs = major portfolio detraction. :poly118:

Slowly progressing through this "block-in" phase. Feels mostly like inspiration limbo though...
    8433983072_f91de6efb5_b.jpg
    8432898671_0d42b14285_b.jpg

Slowly, but surely.
    Must...focus...on...portfolio..........
  • ShootandRun
    for the tire, it is very repetitive, you can try and chop the hubcap into 5ths (cut it like a pizza) and the actual tire tread into a smaller chunks, the only thing is that they have to tile, but then you can have a higher resolution on the tire tread and the hubcap ;)
  • TaylorAnimated
    Watch your proportions on the human model, her arms and legs are all much too long.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys.

@TaylorAnimated - Thanks, I'm going to pay special attention to the proportions of my next character. I realize that this one is an anatomical nightmare. I followed through with it regardless to give myself a small victory. I'm at the phase in my art career where I need to make things day in and day out to get better. I just needed to get over that hump of thinking that my first attempts at this weren't going to suck. Still slowly getting over that completely.

@ShootandRun
    - That is pretty clever. I think I'm going to go back and redo the low-poly on the wheel completely. I am definitely going to try that approach when I texture it.

In other news, I started one other small project and made some progress on a couple others. First off I am going toe attempt to model a current-gen spec version of my favorite ship from the original F-Zero. Pico's Wild Goose:

8445638078_f59265c1fc.jpg

I wish I had the focus to stop coming up with these ideas and ACTUALLY finish something one day...:( Anyway, one problem I am having is the only reference images I have are skewed because they are the original sprites for the Mode-7 gameplay. I want this model to be a re-creation of the original concept, so I really should re-draw some blueprints so I have better references to go off of. What I did instead was loosely blocked it in, and checked it orthographically for proportions:

8445638678_bb8a961028.jpg

I'm starting to feel like this is obscenely half-assed though, so I am going to back burner this for a little bit and make some legit blueprints to go off of.

Projects I have in limbo are:
    My Neon - midpoly (or whatever) car
    Dash Rendar - character model
    Jericho 941 - hero weapon
    Molle-E - WoW fan art
    Hap-Hazard - custom weapon (sawn-off)

but my NUMBER 1 PRIORITY is (and should be) FINISHING my Neon car model. :poly127:
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a big rush Unity project at work today, so hopefully things will calm down a bit and let me work on some personal stuff. Speaking of which:

8455593363_1e4074202c_b.jpg

I finished blocking the general shape in. Now I am going into each piece and adding detail. This is slightly difficult because the blueprints I am using are for the SRT-4 version of the Neon, but I am creating the SXT version that I actually drive. I do have plenty of picture reference for the parts that are different though, i.e. the front bumper:

-SRT-4 blueprint-
    8456691552_58fd42783f.jpg
    -Side-
    8455593519_27bb38b8b2.jpg
    -Picture of the SXT Bumper-
    8455594671_17e88558fb_z.jpg

I am going to wait and see how this comes together a little bit before I make a final decision on how I am going to texture it. I need to do some experiments because:
    • I would like to play around with having the car paint handled by a shader and use textures for the interior, wheels, emblems etc..
    • I would also like to try and have a "dirty" version, and I'm not sure how to go about this exactly.
    • I am going to be inserting this into a Unity environment for a short tech demo of a racing game idea I have.
    • Aaaannnnd I want to try and insert it into Cryengine and play around a bit. (I think I am going to use the blockin geometry to construct some simple LOD levels.)
    • Not to mention some Marmoset portfolio shots etc..
    Anyone familiar with modern generation car modeling workflows please leave your two cents. I've read most of the related threads that I could find, but I am pretty much at the point of experimenting and just seeing what works for me.

Much to do, so I'm going to stop typing and get back to it. :)
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Listening to Zircon, trying to stay focused on my modeling. :poly142: Here's a quick update on the first piece of the Neon that I am making in detail: le front bumper.

8468822136_e4c6b0c31b_b.jpg

and some ref:
    8467742741_2e8b6936b2_z.jpg
    8467745075_94fff92160_z.jpg

Going to really follow through and make it look as good as I can without stagnating my progress on the car as a whole.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

This ridge is getting under my skin. I'm not sure the best way to go about keeping the corner smooth while holding its sharpness and still maintaining a decent poly-flow. But the back of my head is telling me that its a very small detail and I can tweak it later, so move on.

8471936464_cb3658cee7_b.jpg
    8471936540_0ab3af2273_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    This grille hex pattern probably took me longer than it should have. And it's probably a COMPLETE waste of polygons, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Up next, I think I'll do the headlights.

8474533896_6de4c25562_b.jpg

8473446767_f5a33ef840_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to keep the momentum up. Finished the general shape of the headlights. I'll get the finer details and ridges with textures or something. I'm going to wait until there is a little more to show before I try a P&P thread. I feel like I could really use some feedback and critique. Anyway:

8475754695_e2813b9d21_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Slight temporary detraction from the Neon. Just a quick semi-futuristic shipping crate. Intended to be a texture/baking exercise. Only going to spend a few days on this, then back to the Neon.

8487976438_9b5d4478c3_b.jpg
    8486884735_2b017d2862_b.jpg
    8486884999_6a560c5ea4_b.jpg
    8486884805_0a5b2186bb_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a few days, and my Neon has been neglected. :( I am almost done with this crate though, I just need to add some things and make some adjustments to the texture. Also need to make some show-off material for it.

Strangely, even though I wasn't really going for a low-poly model, it came in at just under 1000 tris.

I might make a P&P thread for this since it's my one of my first legit models and I really need some feedback on it. I might also make 2 more quick models this week before continuing my Neon.

Shipping Crate (View in 3D)

lDt4P
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzle... I made this P&P thread for crits on the shipping container. I might bump it or something later.

Here are the final images for it:

8507264343_e8a8454cbb_b.jpg
    8507264453_583f14978e_b.jpg

Pressing on: I am going to try and make a rail-gun or rocket launcher this week, as well as another static prop (maybe an ATM or something).

In other news: I am reworking my portfolio and I think it's coming along well. There is a job I am gunning for and I really hope I can score an art test or a response. I am very reluctant to apply or send them anything until my portfolio makes me more comfortable than I am with it currently. Hopefully it doesn't get snatched up in the meantime.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember when I said I was going to go back to the Neon... I lied. Hopefully Olga doesn't quit on me for not immortalizing her just yet. Anyway, I just got permission from the artist of this pic to model it in 3D.

F48.jpg

The artist is Adam Baines and his site is here.

Going to block it out today, and hopefully start grinding out some hi-poly tomorrow.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the opportunity to start working on the sub-machine gun. I've been helping some of my co-workers on their work-related projects so I haven't had much "me time." Also, I updated my portfolio finally. Got rid of all the high-school stuff, and the extra stuff that didn't need to be there. No I just have to fill it. Check it out here. Feedback would be appreciated.

Onto the SMG. Progress:

8530656897_fc9eef8cc7_b.jpg

My main concern right now is that these edges might be too tight for my normal maps. I guess I'll find out soon enough though.

8530656953_57149c3ff5_b.jpg

The other thing on my mind is displacement/tesselation mapping. I have been reading about them, but my primary machine (Asus G50VT laptop) does not have a Dx11 capable card. :poly127: I can't put off my pc build much longer it seems.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    SMG Update:

I'm not entirely pleased with my progress. The rest of the week looks clear though. Everyone is clearing out for spring break next week, so I the lab I work at should be fairly quiet for a while. This is what I've managed to get done on it today:

8535887758_2a89364c62_b.jpg

My work flow is choppy, and I'm jumping from element to element. Not good, I know, but I am slowly progressing. There are some areas of the concept that I am having problems getting proportional. Also, I am getting really concerned about the tightness of my edges. I haven't done enough normal baking to have a sense for it. Other than that though, this is turning out to be a good exercise for me.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update on the SMG. Few parts refined, some added. Haven't resorted to bashing my head on my desk just yet, but with all of the other things I might have to deal with in the next few weeks.....we'll see.

8537395149_86802c2dd6_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed some of the proportions a bit and refined some of the shapes. Almost done with the high-poly. Just need to make the laser and the holographic sight and fix the grip. Then onto the low poly.

8540298174_2a5f6caa64_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the high-poly of the smg. Now I am going to retopo it. I screwed up and neglected to save simplified geometry versions of most of the pieces. So this is likely to be a huge pain in the ass. Big note-to-self/life lesson there...

8549279854_4d3955397e_b.jpg

Also, I'm not exactly sure what kind of polycount to shoot for. This isn't for a specific project, just a portfolio piece. Well, I better get cracking on the lowpoly.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the smg:
    So I have had a hard time with a few things. I keep making the work harder for myself by forgetting something or simple ignorance. But this is a learning process, so as long as I push forward I should be getting better at this. I can already tell I have improved significantly from where a was a few years ago. Here are the things that skipped my mind this go around that created headaches for me.

2 Colossal Screw-Ups
    1. I neglected to save a version of the simplified (blocked-in) geometry before I went all out with my control edges and the turbosmooth modifier... So essentially I was forced to retopo by meticulously deleting control edges and unnecessary vertices. Hours...
    2. I thought I was being smart when I created an exploded version of the mesh using the timeline before I created my UV maps. This became a problem because when I attached the pieces together, the keyframes were lost and the pieces were not in their original positions. I fixed it by going back and creating two separate files; one for exploded and one for the un-exploded version. About half an hour of wasted time and I'm not 100% sure the pieces are in the exact position they were originally.
    On a side tangent/note/rant, I love this website. Nothing has inspired me more over the last few years to really strive to become a better artist. One thing that I am struggling to get over is how easy and quick some artists make things look. Not too many people post how long something takes, but I always imagine people cranking out a crazy texture map in like a matter of minutes. Then I sit down, and do it the way I think it's supposed to be done, and it takes me hours and hours. And that's just the UV layout. I know getting better at this is all about improving the workflow and improving the quality, but damn... I can't imagine what this would be like is I was faint of heart and lacked fervor for this.

Anywho, here is the low-poly finished. Ignore the scaling on the test grid texture as the UV map for the main body of the gone is not done yet.

8569320338_761555bfaa_b.jpg

UV's for the accessories:

8568222375_f8c9478daa_b.jpg

Mainly because this is my first gun model, I'm not sure how to do this exactly. But, what I have done is I've separated the silencer, holo-sight, fore-grip, laser, and magazine onto their own texture sheet. It will probably be 2k. Then I plan to put the rest on a sheet, maybe 4k.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished what I think is the principle modeling and baking of the SMG. Now for the painstaking process of texturing and learning about texturing simultaneously. Tried an RGB/Color map for the first time:

8577096351_037cd1d7fd_b.jpg

I think I made some mistakes, but I see how to avoid them next time. I also realized that I created a problem with the main circle on the back with my explosion. Took a few minutes to fix. I not going to use nDo or dDo while texturing this. I think it's important that I learn and understand the principles of this process before I continue using tools like them.

Here's to finishing this before the weekend! Wish me luck.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the smg: Still working on the texture. I think the learning curve is slowing the process down, albeit necessarily. Right now, I am dragging my brain through the mud of figuring out how the texturing pipeline works as it pertains to Marmoset. Adding the gloss map to the alpha of the spec map for instance, took some figuring out. Hell, figuring out how to create a worthwhile gloss map is taking me forever. All that aside though, I was trying to get my base colors to read well before I went adding detail to the maps. I think I got it, so I just need to add detail now, but I am starting to see areas where I could have improved things like geometry and that can be somewhat disheartening. I'm unsure where the line lies between taking what I'm learning and applying it to future projects and attempting to fix all the problems and polish the current project... Enough of the philosophy, here's a progress pic. My next step (methinks) is to nail down the material definitions.

8590332682_2b1854b795_b.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the texture... At the moment I'm trying to refine the spec/gloss map. I think it's starting to get there. I really just want to be done with this now, so I can move on.

8613247131_b0f25e6fb4_b.jpg

Also, playing around with this really clarified some of the feedback I received on my textures for the shipping container. So, after this I am going to go back and make the spec/gloss map better.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    the gun looks really good! one minor crit though, and its more a taste thing, but some wear and dirt would add a lot to it. it looks brand new right now, but maybe thats what you want?
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    the gun looks really good! one minor crit though, and its more a taste thing, but some wear and dirt would add a lot to it. it looks brand new right now, but maybe thats what you want?

Thanks for the feedback! I've added some minor dirt and scratches to the body, but it's hard to see on such a small picture. I'm at the point where I'm adding detail like that to the textures, because I think the base colors read well. Honestly though, I can't decide if it should look pristine or heavily used. The concept image looks like it could be either.
  • Ereptor
    Are you using smoothing groups for the gun? I like how the handles are so much more refined than the rest of the gun. I can feel the difference in texture between the handle and the metal parts.

Have you seen the TKT knife tutorial up on polycount's main page? I didn't realize that it made sense to start hi-poly for a weapon and then work down. Is that what you did, or did you do the low-poly first?
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Ereptor wrote: »
    Are you using smoothing groups for the gun? I like how the handles are so much more refined than the rest of the gun. I can feel the difference in texture between the handle and the metal parts.

Have you seen the TKT knife tutorial up on polycount's main page? I didn't realize that it made sense to start hi-poly for a weapon and then work down. Is that what you did, or did you do the low-poly first?

The textures are still very much w.i.p. at this point. Better material definition is what I'm hoping to accomplish with a more refined spec/gloss map. Right now though, I'm redoing the hi-poly to get some looser edges.

I've seen the thread for the knife tut, just haven't had time to sit down and watch them all. But basically my process for this was:
    1. Block out the major shapes. Making sure the overall shape and volume of everything looked good in 3D.
    2. Take those shapes and begin hi-poly geo. (Right here I screwed up a bit. I should have saved an extra copy of the blocked out geo, as a starting point for my low-poly.)
    3. Re-topo and generate low-poly stuff.
    4. Bake and texture stuff.
    From what I've seen and read, it's pretty much the normal thing to build the hi-poly before the low. That's not to say you can't use elements from your block-in or basemesh on your low-poly though. But I think the point of the low-poly is to match the high's silhouette as close as possible within the poly budget. Also, I'm no expert on this, so take all that with a huge grain of salt.

As far as smoothing groups go, I used this script to separate the mesh into smoothing groups based on the UV islands. It's proven really helpful.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't made any progress on anything in a while. Not proud of myself... It's the end of the semester, work, moving, family, blah blah blah. Whatever, now I'm in a great place in a nice neighborhood, got my pc set up, new 3D mouse, a bed finally, and tons of beer in the fridge. I'm going to attack this shit like it stole something from me.

To get all mooded up last night, I rendered this shot of the SMG hi-poly. Been a long time since I actually rendered something, but this was just for fun. I see most guns on here presented this way, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

8699169396_ac2ef14346_b.jpg

Still working on a refined high-poly model, with better edges and adjusted silhouette etc.. Hoping to have it done or at least significant progress made by this weekend.
  • blzsoul
    Offline / Send Message
    blzsoul polycounter lvl 7
    Nice touch with the textures
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Over the weekend I managed to make some progress on this bad boy. Got kind of excited to finally see it come along.

8933258206_8976617ddd_o.jpg

I finally got xNormal working, but I need to tweak my cages significantly because my bakes are looking horrible. Here's to staying focused, I can see the final corner and the finish line.

Miserable bakes:
    8939653915_2290c991f5_c.jpg

8939654467_87343da249_c.jpg
  • Fenn
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Cool work in progress shot.
    Are you going to finish the car? Or start on something new?
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn wrote: »
    Cool work in progress shot.
    Are you going to finish the car? Or start on something new?

Hey, thanks. After this SMG is done, I plan on finishing up the car. Then I am probably going to spend a significant amount of time sharpening my 2D and anatomy skills.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this file sitting around on my jump drive, and I finally decided to go ahead and do something with it. I really felt like I've been kind of lost the past couple of years, unsure of myself and what lies ahead. I'm sure everyone goes through that at some point. I made this and put it next to my desk so that when I'm not in that groove and everything isn't going that smoothly, I have visual road map reminding me why I do this in the first place. I.e. what influences me.

The credit for the original goes to this guy, and it came accompanied with the following message:

"As an artist, you are influenced by things. The reason why you do what you do is the combined application of all the things that influence you. If you run into a major block and cannot create new work, chances are you are forgetting what inspires you and need a refresher. Fill in these squares with everything that influences and inspires you to fuel the art you love to create. Refer to it as a kind of "map" in the future in case you get lost."

9147442884_2cb3581964_b.jpg

I'm trying to change. Better myself etc. Right now that involves waking up on time. Kicking my complacent habits at work. Saving more money. Focusing on my Loomis studying. Shutting up and making some art.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a little break from my job and cranked out this quickie model to practice a little bit. Not polished by any means, but maybe only an hour or two of work.

10426292493_9ba39581f0_o.jpg

10426275434_51b3f8f65f_o.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    360 in Marmoset. I mainly wanted to practice setting up gloss maps etc.. It doesn't look great, but I think I'm starting to understand the concept better than I was before.

10433954463_92e9f8c799_o.gif
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick block-in for another Gundam related quickie model. My learning goal for this one is to integrate some zbrush for hard surface detailing and practice more texturing.

10503421634_6af0763ee1_o.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Zaku head. Grinding Hi-Po Sub-D knowledge biscuits with the NIN blaring in the Beats by Dre. Wish me luck.

10524028364_ae4c7b8644_o.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished a couple pieces of the low-poly and did some test bakes. These are in Max with Xoliul's shader. I'll throw it in Marmoset when I get home. I really want to finish this in the next day or two as this is only an exercise. Can't get hung up on it.

10677443623_fcc1ab9f59_o.jpg

10677248394_cd49cdcc04_o.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like I'm making some decent progress improving my texturing capabilities. Here's an update on the Zaku (ignore the spire, monoeye, and canister).

10949567965_019170022b_o.jpg

10949568425_296a9b6fe2_o.jpg

I think it's time to perform a finisher on the SMG project.
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Personal stuff has me fighting depression. In the mean time, I want to start getting my characters rolling. So here I have started a new base mesh for sculpting a character that I designed for an old animation idea. Need to practice sculpting (and characters in general), so this will be good for me.

11197823486_6cf0bae940_o.jpg

11197799885_78e8bdd6f2_o.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop complaining, work harder...

Sneak peak!
    12778364625_4357236270_o.gif
  • blackdragonstory
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    I am subscribing to your sketchbook :D
    I love the realism you are adding with metalic shading.
    How do you do it?
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the realism you are adding with metalic shading.
    How do you do it?

It's actually just the w.i.p. high-poly model with some basic pbr values plugged into Toolbag2. I was testing to see if some parts were smooth enough and if the highlights would hold up well. Seems like it, so I just need to finish a couple pieces then re-topo and texture it.

I did a test bake on one of the pieces already and it turned out well, so I am excited to see it evolve from here. Back to work, back to work...
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Labor additus...

13382970363_889537f698_o.jpg
  • Luke003
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Remade the textures on my shipping crate. Doing the same for the SMG. Hopefully they will make my folio seem a little better while I'm working on the other pieces.

13473212963_5954631997_o.jpg

13473460764_32fff6be64_o.jpg
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Blood squirts from his nose as he grits his teeth. He's gonna have an aneurysm for sure.

13568127433_7894b7c321_o.gif
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to working on the texture for this. I was originally configuring it for Toolbag2, but I've been playing with UE4 and might change tactics. I dunno.

16067949150_46e6192569_o.gif
  • Luke003
    Offline / Send Message
    In typical fashion, I'm starting a new project before I finish the others. Twin-turbo supercharged v8 truggy. My favorite silhouette out of anything I've ever made so far. Just blocking in major shapes.

18013701910_321f0b538b_o.gif