Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diana - LoL Fanart

No post, long time!

I've been slowly hacking away on this Diana (LoL) model for the last month or so. I’m getting close to being finished with the sculpt and feel a bit stuck. Pointing out any idiot mistakes I made would be really helpful.

I used things I like from these concepts as well as from the in-game model. I threw in some additional details, since I don’t really have to worry about the character being like 20 pixels big.

I would like to throw more nuts and bolts at the model, but the design isn't really that noisy and would probably just stray too far from the concept.

I also used an actress as reference for the face. It’s became very clear that I lack the anatomical knowledge to do a likeness. I've looked at about a 3-4 million photos, but, I. Just. Can’t. Any guesses as to who it might be?

Any comments and critique would be appreciated.

Aeu4ZKx.jpg

uwZV5Pw.jpg

bX41rPq.jpg

2SjXOPt.jpg

daFC5pi.jpg

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Everything is looking pretty good. I think some of the crevices need a hard polish over them to help define the surface a bit more. Some of it seems soft.
    I really like the original back piece in the concept, is there a reason you changed it?
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dimfist - Which of the concepts are you referring to? :) I tried to stick with the in-game version (the ones to the right). What I will probably change is how it is attached to the back though. It's kind of floaty right now.

And I'll do a second pass with the cracks after the bigger things are sorted.

Thanks for the input!
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a little break from the character and did her weapon.

I polypainted in Zbrush to get a good base. Colors are a bit off still, but I'll try and sort that in PS after baking.

2k6c664.jpg

Cheerz
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hai gais!

Ugh, I've been painting on and off during evenings. Slow going right now, just when I need to work hard to update portfolio. Such is the way.

I might have to do another pass though and really exaggerate, I want the final result to be much more “handpainted”. The colors are a bit too bright right now, but I can tweak that in PS.

Also! I’m trying to go out of my comfort zone and actually do an expression on her face. I've tried a couple of emotions, but I think the sad/forlorn look fits best with the pose I’m going for in the beauty shot.

Any crits or comments are very welcome, I've less idea what I’m doing with this than usual.

eiuIo2J.jpg

si58fod.jpg

uuyhTyB.jpg

1SeqPNf.jpg
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    I am liking the polypaint so far.

I might go for fuller, more feminine looking lips.

Also, I'm seeing a bit of roughness between the eyes on your last render.

Her expression overall looks kind of worried, I would up the feeling of confidence.

Keep going, I'm liking the color space you're in.
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay seriously who is the actress? I can clearly see her in my head but cannot for the life of me make a name appear :(

Looking really good :)
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, the face could use a bit of work, right now it's a bit of an 'ol woman face ;)

I really like the details on the chest armor with the little cracks and all that :)
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    For the face there are reference that riot artists did to keep the design consistent across skins/concepts/etc. The one for leona and diana was posted on reddit for some makeup contest.
    tPgsrak.jpg

Also I'm all up for some cracks and cuts on armor but that thing is basically unusable... most of its pieces (chest piece, bracers, the thing on her back) should be falling to pieces since cracks go over all their lenght, and some of the cracks don't even make much sense like those running across the yellowish parth of the boots : /

The painting is awesome and it's nice seeing all the hue shift but i really can'y unseen the destroied armor : D
    This clue led her to a secluded valley on Mount Targon where she unearthed the hidden entrance to an ancient, sealed temple. Inside, among aging relics and faded murals, she found an ornate suit of armor and a beautiful crescent blade, both inscribed with sigils of the moon.

This is from her lore, now it doesn't mention the armor being damaged or what but if you're going to write that it was an ornate suit of armor and a beautiful crescent blade, I'm not just led to think it might be so much damaged
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    She does have those crags on her original Riot model though. I guess to make them look a bit more "ancient"? See http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=131&skin=0

I guess from her Lore the Moon cult has been wiped out entirely and that's basically old leftovers. Might be magic infused and all that or even be made of magical moonstone. Who knows ;)
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She did then proceed to completely demolish the temple of the Solari and entered the League. Considerable damage is to be expected.
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexKola - Fuller lips, check. Might make her look a bit younger too I guess? I scrounged up her a forehead a bit, I think that's what you mean by roughness. I'll just smooth that out. Googling "confidently sad" :).

@BBFirefly - I think I had her likeness down a bit more, earlier in the sculpting. But it got lost somewhere in my prodding. Anyway, it was supposed to be:
    Marion Cotillard.

@Xaragoth - I'll try and make her face a bit fuller, maybe that'll make her look a bit younger. Since I think according to her backstory she is supposed to be.

@Fnitrox - Maybe I went a bit overboard with the damage. The material for her armor is a bit odd. I interpreted it as stone I guess, with the sheen of nacre. As Xaragoth mentions below, Ancient Magical Moonstone fused together by Moon Magix! Also the edges of her skirt-thing has cracks and wear and looks like stone, but is animated as bouncing/flowing on the in-game model. All kinds of confusing.

I'll try and mute the colors for the cracks a bit, or perhaps pinch them tighter. Adding scars around her eyes I think would look cool to, lore and all.

Huge thanks for taking the time to comment, people. Motivation boost!
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats the one! The chick from Inception!
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Oh ok, I wasn't getting the feeling of sad from the reference at the top. I think I see what you're going for in Fnitrox's post.
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this still going? Been waiting for dayssssssssssss
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BBFirefly - Yeah, still going :) I'm doing the low poly mesh right now, which takes foreveeer and there isn't much to show. I'm trying to use Zremesher in Zbrush and then fixing it in 3D-studio. Hoping to avoid doing the low poly manually in the interest of time. Seems to take the same amount though.

But I think on some rigid pieces, where the loops aren't as important it could save me some time.

I made some small changes to her face too. Her lips, I notice now that I'm uploading, still needs some work.

aDCGwAs.jpg

UYL3Kbx.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I really like the look of this so far!
    Will be following the thread to see the progress :)!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Some really nice work so far! Just some thoughts: I think you could lengthen the lower part of her face slightly and make her jaw line/chin a little narrower. Also check the the transition of her cheek bones (particularly in the front view) and check the anatomy of her ear. Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing more :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man everything looks beautiful. I love her armour.
    How do you feel about the zremesher retopology pathway? How much of a cleanup is required in max later? Since you mention it takes about the same amount of time if you just retopologised it i guess its better to just stick to it :poly122:

I think the armour needs more thickness however.
    Also, the face in my opinion needs some work. By work i mean some plane changes and values generally. I made a paintover to show you what i mean hope you dont mind, but pictures are much better than explaining.
    xZtYk1n.gif
    I really really suck at painting etc so i hope it gets my point across.
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My favorite character, she better be perfect when I come back!!!

Jokes aside, you already seem to have put quite some work in, but I will say it anyway, a more feminine face would be nice. To be honest, she might not even need to be younger,
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits - Thanks! Your Jinx was part of my inspiration for doing a LoL-character. Which turned out great!

@afisher - It does help, a lot! :) I'm not good enough to spot these mistakes yet. I'll try and fix the the issues.

@butt_sahib - Since it's the first time trying the Zremesher way, I'm not sure I'm doing it optimally. I try to find the best sub division and then smooth out some noise. After that, I run Zremesher, with various results. Main issue so far is that some meshes come out either too dense or too sparse and twisted. I'd rather go for the higher polycount, so the main work in 3Ds is removing polygons.

When doing it manually I tend to hold back a lot on adding edges and loops. This way it's just easier to let some edges stay where they are.

Thanks for the paintover, the picture explains a lot. Some adjustments are in order.

@AlphaMix - No, she's my favourite, and she's perfect however she turns out! :P Face will be dealt with.

Also, I won't have time to work on this until end of next week, SO MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS PEOPLE! Jeeez, gimme a break.

One million thank you's for the input guys and girls.
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update I managed to squeeze in amidst moving and having friends visiting. Hopefully in the right direction.

Otherwise continuing the low poly retopo. I think using Zremesher without proper guide curves and knowledge was a bad idea. It’s slow going and some loops are so uncooperative. Learnt’.

VFN172X.jpg

tBwHdmd.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I tried to do a real paint over but I gotta admit I really suck at them sooo...
    But the head shape is really bugging me, I don't know if anyone can agree with me ( I don't want to give you bad crits!)
    I feel like the back of the head and neck area is waaay too far back. Look how deap her neck is!
    lUm2iNJ.png
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    this is looking really nice man...can't wait to see this finished!
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits - Totally right. Waaay off!

@Slosh - Me neither. Check back in 2019, maybe I'll have a texture map ready! :D

Gaah. Spent hours on a head that just wouldn't turn out. So I went back to an earlier save and restarted, I think her head shape is leaning more towards humanoid this time around.

5lS2Dzm.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is still happening. Just busy times.

I've managed to finish the retopology. Which was a mess and has resulted in a weird mesh.
    ~28k tris and I’m not going to trim it more though I surely could. Enough already! (Unless I've done something really stupid or inefficient somewhere.)

h5U5EtH.jpg

UV-map:

I separated the hair and eyelashes into it’s own map. Since nothing else on the body uses alpha channel and it’s going to have anisotropic shader anyway?

It shouldn't be packed too tight (If it was actually going into a game) and the edges that are close to each other should be hidden. If it’s ass, let me know please.

As for wasted space I’m not sure how to avoid that without rotating pieces weirdly and cutting it up too much. Potentially I could also repack the things in the bottom of the map and squeeze the sword in there.

mIRv4g1.jpg

And on the to-do list:

Skin and rig.
    Bake and texture.
    Create some kind of facial expression.
    Bake and texture the sword.
    Create a simple environment for presentation.
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumping for some measure of closure. I kind of dropped the ball on this one. Shit happens. I’ve been doodling on and off for months on this one, started the base mesh back in March.

Seeing as there is some kind of tiny and unrelated contest going on here. I’ll start fresh instead.

Main issues and problems:
    -Baking. Just came out wrong. Too much Photoshop fixing, need to improve on that.

-Hair. I really need to learn how to make proper hair. The alpha testing gave me so much grief.

-Retopology in Zbrush, without proper know how. Took forever and the result was bad.

It was really fun for a while. Then just kinda hung over my head for months.

PICTURES! And thanks for the feedback everyone, even though it turned out meh.

znCsChF.jpg

GGShWnh.jpg

frqfS6o.jpg

zXHtqsw.jpg

WSdUxbB.jpg

toBI11y.jpg

Zvt7Qdl.jpg