Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Sharvo

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Sharvo keyframe
Hello,

Just putting my name down for this,as it sounds like a good thing to try and be part of and that i use to play a lot of UT.

Fairly new to the concept art stuff, but hopefully i will make something cool :)

I am thinking of going down the ruins/fantasy side of things at the moment and just gathering some ideas and thoughts.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Sounds good! Ruins are always fun...
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cheers WarrenM for the initial comment :) after doing some sketching that i will scan in once i get to a scanner, i feel that i have two possible ideas/themes i want to explore.

The great library - a place holding the history of the universe lit mainly my natural light and candles, it will hold all sorts of books and statues of the past. I will try and pay some homage to the older games by having some references of them in it.

The ancient ruins - this will be a underground city with lava running through it. Some of the buildings will be carved into the rocks whilst some will have been made on the uneven flooring.

I like both these ideas - i loved the old games but never got in to the universe, its inhabitants the lore and that side of things. So if these ideas are totally off please let me know :)
  • WarrenM
    These both sound great. I love library levels although they can be hard to pull off in a clean way ... shelves full of books are inherently visually noisy.

Looking forward to what you come up with!
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    I had noticed this in some of the entries, that you are looking for a 'clean' approach to this, i think i might have read over that in the original post. But is that one of the criteria for the game?
  • WarrenM
    It's more about clarity of visuals. The main complaint about UT3's visuals is that between the meshing and the post processing, the environments feel noisy and it's hard to pick out opponents against the background.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it in the concept art stage. We'd rather you guys work unrestrained as ideas can be refined later. At this stage, it's the idea that is most important.
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Ok cool, cheers for the clarification on that WarrenM as said before i just did a few doodles and scaned them in and added colour to a few. Not sure if people can work out some of the mad scribbles, but they have defiantly aided me in my design so far... Onwards and upwards!

conceptScans001.jpg

conceptScans002.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    So... after a weekend away in Cambridge i am back on this in my spare time. Whilst their i got some more sketches down and decided on an outcome.

I am going to create a land that is filled with LAVA!!! So, inspiration is coming from Star Wars 3 (the last fight) LOTR (the end scene), 2012 and from artists mainly Pei Gong.

In the center of my map will be this shrine/building its purpose i haven't decided a final outcome yet at the moment i feel that it is holding some relic maybe? The land around it will be moving if possible to give some added gameplay maybe?

So, here is an image i worked a bit on in 3d and then took into Photoshop for a quick paintover.

concept_02_small.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Just an update on this as to where i am with this piece of art... Let me know what you think!

concept_02_C.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Welp had a bit of time at lunch to work on this, most of the time was spent organizing layers and folders in the file... But as you can see tweaked the cracks a bit! and went a bit more orangina on the atmosphere!

As always any feedback would be nice.

concept_02_E_small.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Another update at lunch, nearly done with this and move on to some other shots!

concept_02_F_small.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Wow - so many great entries coming in...

Using the base from before i am now working on a more wide angle to show off some of the other areas in this potential map/setting. Still early days on this piece the third piece if i get time will be using one of the images provided and doing the interior of this building, which will be a lot different to the exteriors surrounding!

concept_01_D.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Its been awhile...

Still a long way to go!

concept_01_G.jpg

Also tweaked my original image a bit...

concept_02_G_small.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Hey Sharvo, you have some interesting ideas and the turbine-like building is pretty different architecture than usual for lava themes. It looks like your zoomed out shot has what looks like a lava reservoir, neat!

It looks like you're zeroed in on this theme and you've gotten the first one pretty much down. I dig platforming from lava flow rocks.

My only issue with your theme right now is your choice of colors. Particularly that fluorescent green, in my opinion it doesn't work and if you want to try a green color out for the flags opt for a much darker shade.

Another more minor suggestion would be to try to improve your overall colors. Conveying heat especially lava has a much wider range of contrast. Lava generally gives off an intensely deep shade of red to things. While this doesn't change any part of the design it would help sell the mood of a dangerous place.

Good luck!
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cheers for the feedback Fireborn felt a bit alone before you replied :) especially as concepting is fairly new to me
    I went back to the original one and i think i still have some changes to make i am not happy with the flags.

I looked at a few resource images and other artists.

concept_02_H_small.jpg

Added some more red and a bit more blue :)
  • FirebornForm
    I wouldn't take it too hard on lack-of-feedback Sharvo. I think the first week people were much more talkative including Epic themselves but after that it's kind of dropped off which is unfortunate because Warren checked out all of the threads. He, like everyone else in the forum most likely got caught up in their work. Now more than ever, as we approach the last week, it's crunch time so people don't have time to talk!

I missed the initial week of start-up buzz when everyone was talking amongst eachother but what can ya do when you enter the contest late.

Still, I try to give everyone some feedback and go back to the older threads bumping them up again. Even though we're all working with our heads down on our pieces, getting feedback is always valuable. My feedback isn't set-in-stone and like everyone elses it's just an artistic opinion. I generally jump on these boards and type up something in my break, like right now I'm finishing up my lunch :)

Darker flags look much better, but keep messing with it until you feel happy. You can also try exploring adding some darker grime to the main building to make it feel like it's part of the same spot. I would imagine being in a huge volcanic area it would have layers of char or soot and be much more corroded by heat than it is here.
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cheers fireborn...

Yeah i think your right the initial buzz has died down a bit and like you said its a bit of crunch time now. I also noticed a video from unreal themselves and have a few changes i would like to make to the building regarding that video and from your feedback.

But i am concentrating on the wide now as i want that finished before the deadline so i have two images... Dont think my third will be done in time for the deadline. Which was going to be the interior.
  • FirebornForm
    I hear you man, most of mine are just kind of one-off shots instead of different interior/exterior. instead I'm trying to compromise and filling the 1 shot with as much stuff for the theme (within reason) I watched the videos from Epic as well and it's a hard balance.

Regarding your theme, not every level in UT needs an outdoor AND indoor section. Many many maps take place majority or entirely indoors, many others have taken place outdoors with very few or no architectural indoor areas. It's more often that way so it's not a huge necessity.

Now I'm not sure how Epic wants to treat indoor/outdoor maps this time around but you've focused on the outdoors so far and I think that's perfectly fine to have just an outdoors area with a few buildings scattered here and there.

I know many others including myself wish we had more time to explore the themes weve come up with, and keep going with new ones but there's a deadline so keep focus on finishing your outdoor areas to present to Epic next week
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cheers for the reply FirebornForm yeah agree with all that you have said so far :)

I changed the idea a bit... i thought there was a bit too much orange going on and thought that having a bit of water would go better with the scene, i might be wrong so let me know if you think its going in the wrong direction. I wont have much time now until submission to work on these as i have other arrangements, but might be able to squeeze in an hour or two in places i do hope to get back to the close up of the building at some point and add a few bits and bobs to it.

At home i have sneakily been working on a third shot as well and will upload that at some point.

concept_01_L.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Taking a small break as I hack away on my next piece. I think your new version is great! I would say your decision to change it up has benefited it a lot. Not just as an artistic piece with nicer color balance but it helps you stand out from the same-ol stuff we've seen before.

UT has seen many maps with fire and one with a sea of magma has been in it since the original 99 version. Lava Giant is a pretty classic map and people love it, so it gets remade a lot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKMzLO4VYU"]Unreal Tournament 1999 The Lava Giant - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ank4G3PsBYo"]Unreal Tournament 2004 CTF - Magma - YouTube[/ame]

I figured you were a fan of Lava Giant and just making your own take on it (Plus lava is universally loved as a visual effect) but your new take on your theme though I think is uniquely you. I can't say I've ever played on an island in the middle of forming (lava dripping off into the water). This would also definitely be up Epic's alley of asking us to showcase their engine. Lava fire steam and smoke and the contrast of the ocean waves will fit that want nicely.
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey all,

So, i dont think i will have any time to do much to these, but does anyone know a good image uploading site?

Mine look really compressed!

Here is where they are at the moment, the interior is defiantly lacking...

concept_02_H_small.jpg

concept_01_L.jpg

Shot03_A.jpg