Home Technical Talk

Dynamesh to Low Poly Workflow

Hi

Its my first time modeling a hard surface character in Zbrush, and I am really confused, I will be really greatfull if someone will shed some light on the topic.

My issues are :

1. How will you rejoin all the subtools with details on them together to create a single low poly mesh for games.(my hard poly mesh has way too many subtools).

2. When you go for Uving like before adding details or after it?

I have tutorial which I am following for hard surface modeling, but the problem is they did not go into texturing part.

Their workflow is :

- Dynamesh concepting
- Zremesher Topology for cleaner mesh
- Re dynamesh for detailing
- Posing
- Decimation and rendering with no textures

Thank You :)

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    1.Export everything as separate .obj files and put in Xnormal for baking
    2.UVs are usually being done after retopology, that's the most common practice.

If it won't be a game model or in some special cases it would be better to make UVs of a basemesh/highpoly mesh to apply interesting things like Noisemaker alphas. You don't need UVs for polypainting, btw, but they will come in handy if you want to move your texture between Zbrush and, say, Photoshop.
  • profpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Can we create a single Normal, Spec Map from multiple .obj's in Xnormal? since it is going to be a game character I cannot afford it to have multiple maps for each mesh(subtool).
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    profpoly wrote: »

Can we create a single Normal, Spec Map from multiple .obj's in Xnormal? since it is going to be a game character I cannot afford it to have multiple maps for each mesh(subtool).

Workflow:

1. HP - export it as single obj as well as objs of the subtools
    2. Re-Topo the whole thing to low poly.
    3. Make a UV set for your combined LP meshes (at least those that should share a texture).
    4. Make a copy of your game model where your meshes are cleanly combined that use same material/texture set. You will also need the separated parts for baking.

Now consider where you are at:
    You have a game model with a finished UV-layout and copies of your parts that are using their individual place on that UV-layout. So for example your characters arm on the combined mesh for the game, has the same UVs as the separated arm. The next part is as simple as it gets...

5. Bake the HP sub tools using the separated LP meshes. This will reduce artifacts, make the calculation faster (as there less triangles to do per part) as well as speed up your loops to correct errors.
    6. Once you have all the bakes you go to Photoshop and make a single map out of every bake set.
    7. Apply those created maps to your unified game model.
    8. Done.
  • profpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag wrote: »
    profpoly wrote: »

That sounds logical... thanks... I will try to follow
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    As I wrote the previous post pretty messy - should any questions arise - please just ask, I will do my best to answer in proper English the next time ;)
  • profpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure will do thanks a lot :)