Home Technical Talk

Cannot snap to grid in Maya for lightmaps

Hey guys, having some major issues with snapping the UV's to a grid line, it seems to snap it just off to the side or just above as shown in the pic below, hoping its a simple fix - any ideas?
hYx936U.jpg

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure what method you're using since you didn't specify. You should just be able to hold X and move the point around and it'll snap perfectly. If you're trying to snap with multiple points selected you will have to reposition your gizmo first and/or toggle Preserve Component Spacing in the move tool options.
  • Numbtea
    I'm trying with one UV point, I had that UV corner placed as close as I could manage manually on the grid line, and when I tried to snap it up it went to that position vertically, then I tried to snap it left and it went that far left. So diagonal up/right then tried to return to the left. I've got preserve component spacing ticked aswell.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    So to be clear, this isn't working?

Snap.gif
  • Numbtea
    Yeah that doesn't work, it takes it the position on the picture rather than on the grid lines.
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm....
    Maybe gridsnapping is on by default, and you toggle it off by holding the X Key?
    Is Retain component spacing or soft seelction enabled in the Move settings?
    Are crazy meshsizes or scalings involved?
  • Numbtea
    As far as I'm aware the mesh is large, but thats due to the size of the BSP brush it was created around in UE4. Hopefully you can see something from this screenshot.
    liTjC4R.png
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    That is really odd indeed. The grid division and retain component spacing settings shouldn't matter if you are snapping a single point to a major grid intersection. Sorry, I can't offer a definite solution :( I guess just delete your history and freeze transformations, see if that makes a difference?

I can offer a workaround though: if you use the align UV buttons you can force the UVs to line up perfectly with another. Just select the misaligned UV and another one you want it to align with (either vertically or horizontally) and use one of the four align buttons at the top of the UV Texture Editor.

On a side note, why is your grid so dense? If you're trying to match UV points to a pixel, there is a pixel snapping tool just to the left of the Align buttons. You can right click the icon to adjust the map size.
  • Numbtea
    I managed to fix it! For some reason Maya decided to only take into account the 0.0078 value for grid lines rather than 0.0078125. I had to enter it a few times but after it registered the full no. I can now snap stuff to the lines, thanks for your help though!