Home Unreal Engine

Lighting Help!

Hi guys!

I'm in the middle of attempting to light an interior scene with multiple rooms. I've looked at so many tutorials, but with everything jumbled together, I just can't get there.

First of all, I'll state this - all I need is passable lighting/shadows - nothing spectacular but decent visuals nonetheless. Now for this, is light mapping required? If I don't need to lightmap my objects in order to achieve passable lighting, then I won't go down that route.

Here are problems I'm having:

I'll put in several 'PointLightMoveables' in to my scene, and as you can see in the image, I have Interpactors placed all around the house, so dynamic lighting is selected. However, with several rooms, I'm needing several of these lights, which even when baked, is having a huge effect on performance. Visually, it looks great, but when I move the character/camera...the performance is terrible. Are there any workarounds? Anything to satisfy the needs of both static meshes and interpactors? Would light mapping solve the performance issues? Also, I'm not really up to speed on 'Pre-computed shadows' and whether any tick boxes hidden away somewhere could have a massive impact on my scene.

Hope you guys can help!

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Static Lightmaps can help things feel a lot more "real" they'll get you AO and soft shadows.
    At the moment, your scene is way to evenly lit. You'll want to try to keep "key lights", the brightest lights in a scene at the light sources. If you're gonna have a light somewhere, there has to be an object that it's coming from.
    Dim "fill lights" don't need to be at a light source, but they should only be used when you expressly want to brighten up an area that is currently too dark, and for artistic reasons. Less is more when it comes to lighting, small subtle things can have massive effect.