Home Technical Talk

animation frame sampling

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
hey ho!

I want to transfer simple idle animations (technical and organic) to ogre and I have to decide how I want it to be sampled (how many samples per second)

Now I don't really have a feeling how big of an impact this could have on the performance (or RAM usage).

Most of the time I have quite slow animation loops which don't use much key frames but last quite long (slow rotation of whatever for example)
sometimes it's a mix of faster wiggling and slow motions.

Now would it be better to setup the animation in max with as less as possible interpolated frames, then sample it corresponding (1 sample per second) and then scale the animation time/speed afterwards
or should I make the animation in max with .. 24fps or 15fps or whatever until the speed looks fine and sample it then with 4 samples per second and a time scaling / speed of 1?

I guess the problem is to get the smallest time interval / fastest change of movement in the animation.

Just as someone who has no knowledge of the technical aspects of getting animations in game I try to find out what's the common way of doing it.
cheers

Replies

• Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Here're some technical aspects.

Performance wise:
    More frames should not have a heavy impact on performance, because the calculation is mostly an interpolation between two frames.

Memory footprint:
    Per bone and frame you need atleast 1 quaternion and 1 position (~2*4*4=32 bytes). A rig with 100 bones and 1000 frames would consume about 3mb of memory (uncompressed, floating point precision).
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cheers! thx for the info