Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• empeck
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Jerc wrote: »
    As a side note, we decided to allow the use of the Non-Commercial version for people generating less than $10K per year in revenue, so indies or people doing freelancing on the side can use the non-commercial version for their projects for example.

Love you guys, just bought the beta.
    ambershee wrote: »
    Is this strictly for Painter, or also for other tools?

This is what I would like to know too.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Any way to buy a copy @$75 without going through Steam?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why would you not go through steam? you get a standalone copy as well, they just aren't ready yet.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    That. is. awesome.

Is this strictly for Painter, or also for other tools?

This is for all Allegorithmic products.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    MORE. AWESOME.
  • mats effect
    Quick question, I am painting a material, rubber just for example but when exported I don't appear to get anything on my spec map that I added. Stuff only really shows on the diffuse?

What am I doing wrong?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    when you added the spec map, did you make sure to enable spec in the brush options and also give it a value?
  • mats effect
    Yep think that was it. Cheers!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i've just made the mac trial version screw up the wacom input during a session. the program would not recognize the pen-up event anymore and interpreted it all as pen-down (like a stuck mouse button).
    the tablet driver continued to respond fine outside the application however and substance painter behaved whenever i used the touchpad of the computer.

if it's of any relevance:
    MBP late 2011 running lion 10.7.4
    intuos 5 with driver 6.3.6w3

other than that it ran quite well. quite interesting program.

just wondering where you want to take this software? is it to be an fx painting app intended as a sidekick to established workflows? or do you want to make this a full-fledged competitor to mudbox and mari?
  • mats effect
    Another quick dump question, is there away to more or less lock the area you are painting too quickly like selecting a part of the model and then only painting to it? Looked around in the selection part of the UI but could not work it out.
  • empeck
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Played a bit with beta, and what I really need is a phong shader (diffuse/spec/gloss/normal/reflection mask) and 4k texture resolution. PBR is nice and next gen, but not everyone uses them yet, unfortunately.

I also need to figure out how to create my own particle presets for aircraft textures - like smoke stains from exhaust or guns, custom leaks, etc.

One more question Is it possible to paint with tileable texture?

The performance is quite good on my machine. Cant wait for advanced masking and 2d editing.
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    Yay, this thread has become insanely useful for learning this great new tool. I hope we can also help improve it too.

One thing I am confused about is how can I take a PBR material which I have working in marmoset, and import it to painter to apply to a model? Do I also need substance designer in order to make my own substances?
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure if i doing it correctly but when i have painted a differnet material eg. the gold material i would expect the colour to be the metalness or reflection howver when i export it its in the diffuse. What am i doing wrong?

Cheers
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's correct Goobatastic.

with the metalness workflow, all colour information is in the diffuse. your shader then uses the metalness map as a mask to "pull" the reflection data from the diffuse map.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Coontang wrote: »
    Yay, this thread has become insanely useful for learning this great new tool. I hope we can also help improve it too.

One thing I am confused about is how can I take a PBR material which I have working in marmoset, and import it to painter to apply to a model? Do I also need substance designer in order to make my own substances?

in substance painter, create a new layer with the little "B" icon, this will create a fill layer. then go file - import image, select your textures and import. in the fill layer you've just created, you can then use the layer properties tab to give that fill layer a diffuse/metalness/roughness/normal map.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I just picked up one of these today...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbdJT4_45mwPXn8VCH2dFGrjhAPUtklSaoig_9duyypubW0hCiD-xJEylNo4cWPPlw_ejGmvlD&usqp=CAE

and was really disappointed to find it didn't work at all with the Substance Painter beta.

Are there any plans to support the 3D Connexion 3d mice??

I think a 3D mouse is probably ideal for sculpting and it would be great to be able to tumble and navigate around while simultaneously spraying particle paint on a mesh.
  • mats effect
    Another quick dump question, is there away to more or less lock the area you are painting too quickly like selecting a part of the model and then only painting to it? Looked around in the selection part of the UI but could not work it out.

Ok worked this out in case its useful to anyone else. Add a mask to your layer, then go into selection mode, set the fill colour to black and then use element selection to select the portions of the mesh you don't want to paint over. Noticed it does not always show where you are selecting on the mesh when editing the mask in selection mode but it does work.
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    I've noticed that if I edit a brush's settings and then switch to another brush and back I lose my settings. Can anyone tell me how to save the settings as a preset or something?
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Computron wrote: »
    Hey, I just picked up one of these today...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbdJT4_45mwPXn8VCH2dFGrjhAPUtklSaoig_9duyypubW0hCiD-xJEylNo4cWPPlw_ejGmvlD&usqp=CAE

and was really disappointed to find it didn't work at all with the Substance Painter beta.

Are there any plans to support the 3D Connexion 3d mice??

I think a 3D mouse is probably ideal for sculpting and it would be great to be able to tumble and navigate around while simultaneously spraying particle paint on a mesh.

why did you buy it in the first place though? this kind of device has been around for a long time but has IMO never made much sense in CG due to lack of support/conflict with the very way apps like zbrush handle user interaction. even for navigating 3ds max or maya it is very finicky and just plain slow to work with.
    perhaps it actually makes a difference in CAD apps though.
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    even for navigating 3ds max or maya it is very finicky and just plain slow to work with.

I disagree, after somebody at work lent me their old 3d mouse I couldn't go back. It's so much easier navigating around max with the 3d mouse than with the old mouse and keyboard method. And positioning cameras and getting into tight spaces in complex scenes is virtually impossible without it. It is a shame that zbrush is designed in a way that means it will never be compatible though.

Sorry this is kinda off topic. Substance painter rules! :)
  • JuanManuel
    I am thinking of adding both substance designer and painter to my pipeline. However, my resources are limited, so I'll first buy one then the other.
    Which one should I buy first? That is to say, which one is more useful from day one?
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    JuanManuel wrote: »
    I am thinking of adding both substance designer and painter to my pipeline. However, my resources are limited, so I'll first buy one then the other.
    Which one should I buy first? That is to say, which one is more useful from day one?

Depends on your pipeline, but at this point you will get far more out of designer than painter. Designer is solid, proven, gets great bake results. Painter isnt even finished and is still trying to find itself.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Here's a stupid question, but I can't seem to find any information on how to export your maps at all. Is it even possible? It'd be great if you could just export your diffuse/spec/gloss as TGA and such.

Still trying to figure this all out. Not used to the interface.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can export your channels through a right click in the viewport or through the File menu.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    How do you save a preview of a material?

Can I eyedrop a material?

Can I edit a material and have those changes propagate through the scene on already painted surfaces?

When will we get the ability to apply materials to a an object using colour masks, like in the Substance Designer car video

Will we get Substance Designer style masking, to mask by cavity?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    All of those things are coming. Preview generation and eyedropper very very soon, better masking pretty soon and the rest a bit later.

The color mask material assignment is a tricky one and still needs a bit of thinking to come up with a good workflow that will fit nicely with the rest of the tool.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    All of those things are coming.

3D mouse support?
  • DerekLeBrun
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Is layered PSD import/export a feature that will be implemented soon as well?

I'd also like to see a Zbrush style alternate navigation implemented like 3DCoat has. Using a cintiq with it right now is a bit cumbersome.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    PSD import/export is planned but probably not very short term.
    You can already change all the navigation shortcuts to mimic a zbrush behavior, but we will provide presets at some point to make things easier.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers - is there any publicly available ETA on those features?

Also, another list:

C cycles the Channels. Shift+C should cycle in reverse

Use the Photoshop keyboard shortcuts [ and ] for brush size
    Use the Photoshop keyboard for brush opacity

Use the Photoshop keyboard shortcuts [ and ] for brush size

Full scene could be CTRL+F instead of F
    F,K,L,R, T could be quick camera cuts to Front, Back, Left, Right, Top

On the Mac, the Z+Left and Z+Right doesn't seem to work.

Can we collapse layers?

The layer properties seems broken, or not hooked up. On a previous video they were shown as working.

You need to ship with a few more basic round brushes in the tools palette.

When I create a new material, such as Aluminium or Red Paint, those also appear in the Tools Palette as new_preset_1, new_preset_2, but with the brush I was using baked into the material too. Not saying this is a bad thing, but it's confusing. Perhaps when I save a material I get the option "Save as tool preset" or something like that?

Can I only drag Brushes into the Roughness and Metallic slots of a Material? The Material Editor could use some love.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I will soon create a thread with a list of all feature requests from the community and keep it updated to give an idea of what's in progress, what's coming, etc.

Shortcuts are already fully customizable but we will add the brackets shortcut for the brush size indeed.

Collapsing layers is a tricky thing due to the inner workings and the no-destructivity of Painter's process. Collapsing layers means giving away part of that non-destructivity and we are not sure yet how we want to handle it.

Layer properties are only available for Fill layers for now.

I'm not sure about your tool issue.
    When you save a tool, you can either only save the material, the brush settings only, or the whole tool.

The Tools window does need some love indeed :)
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Is it possible to load a texture like an ambient occlusion bake to use it as a mask ?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message

I'm not sure about your tool issue.
    When you save a tool, you can either only save the material, the brush settings only, or the whole tool.

The Tools window does need some love indeed :)

This seems to be osx only, my windows machine saves just the material when I right click and choose save material. On OSX it seems to save the material AND the tool when I choose save material. Running Mavericks, but it's the steam version on OSX and the free trial on Windows.

Where do the saved materials get stored? Can I load them in SD?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @imperator_dk Yes, you can import an image and use it in a Fill layer.

@Rick Stirling, I'll make sure we test this on Mavericks. The materials are only saved in Painter's library. An option to save them as sbsar that you can load in SD would be awesome though.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Jerc: Sorry to bother you, sent you a pm a few days or a day ago, where I asked a question that is quite important to me :)
  • Jerc
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Any plans to allow us to use our own preview shaders / sets of channels? Without that it will be hard for me to embed this in workflows for certain target engines etc.

cheers!
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost asked this, but not explicitly - how do I create a material that has image maps in the roughness and metal channels instead of uniform colours? I seems I can only drag brushes into those slots.

If I create a material like this, can I then change the image and have the material update automatically (or even with a force refresh)?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Masking my UVs would be handy.

Are you all sick of me yet?
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    I love painting with height map and roughness at the same time, but I wish there was a way to control the value of both after I painted them. Right now I can only change the opacity while it's the actual value that I am interested changing. A bit more procedural if you will.

Dodge / Burn that works on all channels, and a contrast brush working on all channels but with the ability to turn off channels if I don't want to affect my diffuse for example. Some kind of quick menu appearing under the brush with a list of all channels and turn on / off with a checkbox (could work a la photoshop layer's display toogle, drag on icons and turn off all in one stroke).

Also, something I love in Mudbox is the ability to go through layer blending modes with Shift+W, wish there was a way to do that in SP, and I wish there was a way to go through each channels isolate in the same manner. CTRL+SHift+W would go through Full shading to diffuse / roughness, etc and back to full.

Drag Rectangle Stroke a la Zbrush.

TRIPLANAR. I use this all the time in Mari. fast as hell to cover a surface with rust, mask it entirely and reveal only where needed. Advantage is you can always go back to tile it more / less.

Didn't look yet, but is there a way to import my own materials? Or mix and match colors and textures inside a material?

Also very interrested in blending by color masks as stated above. Import texture set mask, choose number of slots and assign them to mask1, mask2 and so on maybe?

Throwing bunch of ideas here don't slap me =D
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    All of this is noted. I'm compiling all the feature request this week and will create a new thread to help follow the state of all these requests as the beta evolves.

@Rick Stirling: You should be able to drag images from the shelf to the Materials slots in the Tool Window.
    @fr0gg1e: The ability to change values after having painted them will be there at some point. You can cycle through individual channels with the C key, and go back to PBR mode with the M key, although for now it doesn't reflects on the currently selected brush or the layer stack.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Are opacity and emissive layers used by Substance Painter's viewport? I can see effects of painting them in Solo mode only - they don't affect models in any way.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Avvi wrote: »
    Are opacity and emissive layers used by Substance Painter's viewport? I can see effects of painting them in Solo mode only - they don't affect models in any way.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure the shader only currently shows diffuse/roughness/height/spec currently.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks. That's too bad, because I wanted parts of my alien glowing from the inside :/ Will have to do this in PS then. I was having so much fun painting carapace so far that I forgot to check this obvious thing
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Well you can still do the painting inside SP (Since it's still painting emissive, just not displaying it with the pbr shader) but to preview your work for now you'll want to use Toolbag 2 or some other viewer.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    I'm done with Substance Painter part of alien tripod. Smooth, fun experience so far and thanks for today's update with [ and ] buttons ;) Now I'm proceeding to PS to do the emissive channel and further painting.

Melter-2014-03-17b.jpg
    Melter-2014-03-17a.jpg

Some notes I written down during painting the model:
    Feature requests:
    * Tiny brush cursor mode (ideally [Caps Lock] like in PS)
    * Ink-like particle brush preset, for filling deep cracks
    * Option for limiting brush only to the mesh element on which I started the stroke
    * Color swatches palette
    * Option to not paint on backfacing polygons
    * Continue to zoom in/out after mouse cursor reached screen border
    * Exposure in Viewer Settings
    * Stroke mode like ZBrush's Drag Rectangle

Place for improvement:
    * Faster save times. The program is super stable, but still I save too rarely

The program was really stable overall. I miss the features listed and more presets, but things that are already there didn't cause any problems :)
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a bit annoyed by the Indie bundle guys. I bought substance painter on release day to support you, and now I either buy it again or miss out on a really good deal? Hardly seams fair to early adopters.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Coontang wrote: »
    I'm a bit annoyed by the Indie bundle guys. I bought substance painter on release day to support you, and now I either buy it again or miss out on a really good deal? Hardly seams fair to early adopters.

How so?

Current prices on steam:
    Painter $75
    Designer $50
    B2M $25

Total: $150

In short its the same price as the indie pack, you can buy Designer and B2M sperately and not lose out on the deal. Allegorithmic is smart enough to know you dont have one deal and then trump it with another that would make the first buyers feel jipped. Give them some credit, I think they know what they are doing.

The bundle, I assume, is just a marketing approach to sell and bring attention to the new "indie" licensing and the new painter application as part of a growing texturing suite.
  • Baron Flame
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    How is the performance on an a laptop? Has anyone tried on something like a 670MX?
    I bought it but I haven't been able to test it out so far.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a full change list of the latest fixes/features?