Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    I'm in love...
  • rsanti1964
    Offline / Send Message
    rsanti1964 polycounter lvl 3
    Lachtan wrote: »
    Beautiful, beautiful textures.

Hmm, am I the only one who thinks that black outlines and details in diffuse texture(not in shader) hide most of normal/spec map details?

Those high poly models are state of art, but unfortunately, it doesn't show ingame, since diffuse is super complex and those nice details are difficult to read with diffuse maps such these.

Was there a point in development where you asked yourselves "Is baking from hi poly really necessary? Is it time efficient and worth the end results?"

Also, this reminds me, I created a TEDIORE smg some time ago based on the first (cam) footage and concept art released

tediore2011lowpoly0001.jpg

ss01m.jpg

Yes it's true that once u ink over the edge normals it does ruin the illusion of depth so we were very selective on what needed a high and what didn't. Characters needed the high poly cause of the folds on the clothing and muscle definition, most assets that didn't need a normal we faked it in the texture with shadows and highlights and even if the prop didn't need a normal the detail of the high poly helped in placing all that cool detail.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    D: i'm going to be staring at this thread for a while.
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I just wanted to say a big thank you to the Borderlands team for creating this thread for the PC community! It was really a pleasure looking through all of your works :) Amazing job!

I have went through and saved the images in order of posting, and just numbered them and organized them into a few loose headings (Chars, Enviro, Weapons, Vehicle).

Save some ppl a little time filling up your reference/inspiration folders with all this glory!

Dropbox - http://bit.ly/Uvc0n3
    GoogleDrive - http://bit.ly/RHyzX8 (B/C some studios block Dropbox)
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    shabba wrote: »
    Thanks dude, I appreciate that!

Still keeping a close eye on this thread, so much good art and info.
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff BL2 team!!! Such a good art style and execution. Super inspiring stuff. Gonna practice some of that technique for sure! SO GOOD. :)
  • JBarnett
    Offline / Send Message
    JBarnett polycounter lvl 4
    Lachtan – To expand on what rsanti1964 said, one of the main reasons is all the other rips we get out of the high that go into making the texture what it is. Even if we don’t end up using the normal or it gets cut, we still get a highlight, cavity, and baked lighting pass out of it. Not mention a few other little tricks that add to the style. You are absolutely correct though. A lot of the work the normal does gets painted and inked over in the valleys and cracks. To get a bit more out of it though we actually started breaking the ink lines on highlight edges onto either side. This way you still get the nice rounded corners and a nice blingy highlighted edge while the ink and the style are still present. This started on the weapons but it kind of trickled over to other assets we did afterwards. Plus, as a friend of mine brought up to me, having a solid high poly prevents details and proportions within the texture from becoming too cartoony. It is actually very easy to go too far and push the textures out of the realm of the style.
  • makhkk
    wow, fantastic work right here. Would be nice if possible to share some of how u guys do the texture/material. We are all dying to know how!
  • throttlekitty
    Great work! I was always impressed with the consistency across the game.
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Killer work guys, so many sculpts!!
  • Cheez
    This is fucking awesome ! Really great job, guys :)
    BL2 might be my favorite game this year.
  • penrod
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    Kick ass!

I wish Ellie was a playable character!

- BoBo

Ha! You would. What's the deal with you and chubby chicks? Fat bottom girls makin' your rockin' world go round?
  • Dr. Kalashnikov
    slipsius wrote: »
    TL : DR - I think the best part of this thread is we now know who we should send lots and lots of candy / beer to, and who we should mail bomb! If you made any box or weapon, prepare for beer. If you made any of the annoying enemies, prepare for the tiny tina treatment!

...uh oh.... I think everyone made some sort of loot chest so we should be safe right?

But on topic:
    Some dynamic assets didn't even have anything baked down. Heck, Brent Hollon made the Bunk3r without a highpoly. The Bunk3r was all hand painted. ;)
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    ...uh oh.... I think everyone made some sort of loot chest so we should be safe right?

But on topic:
    Some dynamic assets didn't even have anything baked down. Heck, Brent Hollon made the Bunk3r without a highpoly. The Bunk3r was all hand painted. ;)

Not me... I'm probably going to open my door one day to get a giant hand slapping me in the face for that Buzzard, lol.
  • eyo
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    looks like a whole lot of love went into this game. Thanks for posting Gearbox Heroes!
  • dirtyhairy
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    ok, so a few have been asking for wireframes, textures, etc. So i dissected the work i did on the Bandit Assault rifle. Hope its useful :)

Most of the modeling was done in 3dsMax. I did some damage and wear in zbrush. Here is the high-low-normals-textured:
    (some of the parts changed a little after the high poly was finished)
    cA7vS.gif

Here is the normal rips on the low poly
    8dsVy.jpg
    jqkST.jpg

Textures and uvs
    9nnJ3.jpg
    J8EsE.jpg
  • Drywall
    I think a special shout out is in order for dirtyhairy, aka David May. He, along with Kevin Duc on concept, sat around the computer for hours trying to figure out how the new weapons would look and fit together. He built all the blocking meshes that insured consistency across all the artists making weapons. Because of how our gun system works, this was no small task. Not glamorous, and damn was it a ton of work, but it was the first step to some incredible art!
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    !UPDATE!
    Everyone check the 1st page toward the bottom mLink aka Matt Link has posted up some of his sweet sweet character sculpts.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for sharing all this awesome artwork. It's inspirational. Great job to everyone who worked on this game. :)
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Really great art dump guys!

Congrats for the game! :)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow awesome work & congrats to all on releasing the borderland titles, great dump for sure, thanks for the package links for the inspiration folder. :)
  • RMeeks
    Thank you for this! Great work and very inspiring.
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    I came in late in the project, and got to do a few assets. Never did high polies for them. Doing a Borderland Style texture is no easy task. You wrist will hurt at the end of the day! It is a lot of hard work. But its fun! :D
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    Any chance we could get a look at the shaders? Or a how-to guide for UDK maybe? Cause that'd be kinda awesome.
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Superdenny707 - our shaders look like every other basic shader used in unreal. There are no shader tricks, all of our inks are hand drawn. If you're talking about the black edge detection outline, that also is not much different from the already existing tutorials out there. Like we've mentioned before, it's just good old fashion hard work.
  • DEDE_pig
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the sharing !
    Really inspiring me as a student to strive harder !

Questions !!!

What is the poly budget that you guys are working on ?
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    oh... I was under the impression that there was a special custom shader used... That's even more awesome that it's not.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
  • pity
    Offline / Send Message
    pity polycounter lvl 8
    Whew) It was hard to download all this beautiful stuff!)) I like this style very much. Thanks
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! Thanks for posting all of those images.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ace work guys!
  • Arctemple
    Offline / Send Message
    Arctemple polycounter lvl 5
    awesome work guys. I love seeing this stuff :D
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    awesome thanks for posting :)
  • BrendtheCow
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    Wow O_O. Very well done, and congratulations on a great game! :D
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I know, I know... How many times can you say the same thing, but great work guys! I love whenever we get one of these threads going. It's one of the only times we get this kind of sharing of processes on the art side of the pipeline within the industry. They are always beneficial.
  • slipsius
    I gotta say, this really is how art dumps should be after game is released. a bunch of the artists, in one thread, sharing all their work and insight.

Kudos again.
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    mLink wrote: »
    0d4E1.jpg
    FTKxH.jpg
    HD23K.jpg
    7o1Gc.jpg

Matt Link updated again with some of his awesome Sand Bandits from Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty.
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    damiank wrote: »

dre4p.jpg?1
    1AzMK.jpg?1
    MzFHA.jpg?1
    r249l.jpg?1

bcWTA.jpg?1
    RMBwK.jpg?1

Damian Kim has updated with some texture flats and the Bonus Salvador Head you get for having a BL1 save when you start the game.
  • Pavel Petrenko
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel Petrenko polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing work guys!
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Dede_pig - Poly budget varies depending on what you're working on. The Buzzard ended up being 6k triangles, and most assets I made were usually under 1k. We tried to get as low as we could. I think characters ranged from 4k-7k triangles. The other guys could give you more insight on things. But in general everything had to be SUPER LOW.

Many games are built in a way that you can stream content in and out depending on where you are in the level, allowing for smaller areas to have larger budgets. Because we are a 4-player co-op game we had to account for the possibility of all four players being in completely different areas of the map at any time. So everything in that map had to be loaded at all times. I'm still pretty surprised about the amount of detail we were able to push in some areas considering our strict budgets.
  • Crack Panda
    Congrats on all this beautiful work! Amazing art dump, so much to look at! I was working as a games tester for 2K games back before the release of the first Borderlands and got to see the game as it was before the art direction changed to the 'hand drawn' textured style and I must say I loved the game even more once it was introduced, it makes a world of difference. Kudos on all the hard work, it was worth it as it all looks fantastic. :)
  • KalebAylsworth
    Offline / Send Message
    KalebAylsworth polycounter lvl 4
    This is literally the best thread in the history of threads, and the best dump in the history of dumps.

Two questions:

1.) Max or Maya for the hard surf HP?

2.) How on earth did you get such beautiful renders? Zbrush matcaps? Max beauty render with point lights and IBL? Marmoset toolbag with some advanced sauce?

For the love of all that is holy, please please share! ..Please:)
  • Bbox85
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    KalebAylsworth - Glad you enjoy the thread!! :)

All but one of us use Max. Raul uses Modo. Our hard surfaced stuff was mostly inside Max, but then would go into ZBrush if it needed a damage pass.

For our renders, most of us just used ZBrush BPR with a custom mat cap that our co-worker Jason Neal made. We then would do the same with a few other mat caps (varied per person) to overlay in photoshop and get a neat look.
  • HarrisonPink
    I am in absolute awe of the artistry and eye for detail. This work is beautiful, and I am insanely jealous!

One selfish question though, which can be answered via PM if you like:

What are the chances of getting a version of the Zero model for armor crafting schematics purposes?
  • KalebAylsworth
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 wrote: »
    KalebAylsworth - Glad you enjoy the thread!! :)

All but one of us use Max. Raul uses Modo. Our hard surfaced stuff was mostly inside Max, but then would go into ZBrush if it needed a damage pass.

For our renders, most of us just used ZBrush BPR with a custom mat cap that our co-worker Jason Neal made. We then would do the same with a few other mat caps (varied per person) to overlay in photoshop and get a neat look.

You. Rule. :D!
  • reneemars
    Offline / Send Message
    reneemars polycounter lvl 5
    wow just incredible work here.
  • KalebAylsworth
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance you might be able to give us a ballpark on the kind of time estimates you guys had to work with on this stuff? (ie. 5 days for the high poly of a large prop, 3 for a medium and 1 for a small. Or 2 weeks for completed in-game model of a large prop, 1 for a medium, and 3 for a small..)

It would be cool to have a frame of reference on how fast we're expected to knock this kind of stuff out. Give us something to shoot for:)
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    This stuff is amazing guys!! thanks for sharing, as soon as I saw all this I went out and bought the game =P Going through it now with some friends and having a blast, though I did end up in an area where the good old blue and white checkered default material was in plain sight =D that's glitches for you! especially on a game of this scale.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    To much good stuff in one thread!!! Not healthy, eyes explodes!
  • weedude
    Thank you guys!!!
    I actually changed my field of work completely because of Borderlands 1 and 2, I quit Graphic Design and got back to make Concept art and started to learn 3D softs and UDK, so maybe someday I will be able to make things like that.
    So again thansk for share those bits of candy!

See ya!