Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Flame Thrower MKV 1

lightbird
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lightbird polycounter lvl 3
Just starting out. Really need feedback. Im getting into concept art and this is something I painted in Photoshop to be able to model and render it at a later time. I would love some feedback on what you think. It could be colors, structure, whatever. Just let me know.

[IMG][/img]KbfbxzW.jpg

Replies

• Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Lightbird, That looks like a good start, liking some of the shapes you have.

A few things to consider, some of these areas are unfinished, or don't look like they've been thought out. The area in front of the trigger is especially confusing and unclear, but there are other parts where a modeler wouldn't know what to put, or would just make something uninteresting in 3d. These spots are the blue handle thing on top, the black vent things behind it, the grey spot above the trigger, and the jointed thing that goes above the gun.

These look fine in 2d, but you have to remember that some modelers, especially outsourcing, model EXACTLY what you draw. So if you hint at a cool shape like what's in front of the handle, then they will hint at it in 3d. A friend of mine once sent outsourcing a cape with squiggles in the trim, hinting at some kind of cool design along the trim. They literally modeled out the squiggles and sent it back. XD

When looking at the gun from the top, what sticks out, what breaks the blocky silhouette? If you can hint at these kinds of things, that would be great.

If you are just using it for yourself, and can figure all of that out later, then cool. But if you plan on showing it, then people will notice its incompleteness.

Design wise, you have the gun split almost down the middle with where the gas canister is, things like that should be kept off-center as it ends up looking odd, things always look better when weighted from one end, think big to small. Another thing to consider is the amount of dark mechanical bits vs the yellow cover pieces. Right now it's about 50/50 which, again, is not very visually attractive. More yellow bits for eye rest and then cool details peeking out, or vice-versa would look really good.

Hope this helps! :)
  • lightbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera, thanks alot for taking your time to help me out. I want to start by saying that I really liked the dungeons and environments you did for Darksiders. Really cool, great stuff! I myself want to learn Unreal 4.I have some wild ideas I would like to test. Anyways, yes, this concept was just made for me to get the initial shape and ideas. If I did it for a modeler I would have put more time in it and painted different angles. You are right about the colors, more orange will be more soothing for the eyes. Right. I´ll take that into concideration. I tested some colors and it looks better already. Cool! Aha, yeah, now I understand a little better when it comes to concept art that would be shown for modelers. Hmm, interesting. I modeled it and Im sending you some images for you to see. [URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/9JY92YN.jpg[/img]"]

Thanks for the design notes as well. They all come in handy. Great to get some tips from a pro.[/url]
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    That high poly has turned out really well so far! Is this a game asset?

If so, you might want to soften some of those edges. When baking, if you have a few pixels across to show there is an edge, or a change of plane, they won't pick up the small bevels you have going on right now, it might all just look flat with an odd shadow in the AO map.

If you have a low built, I'd say bake it and see the errors happen yourself, then soften some of the bevels and see what I mean firsthand.

Anyways, looking great!
  • lightbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Well, no its not a game asset.Its a high poly concept. I´m planning to take a course at CgSociety how to create them. I have never baked a map in my entire life and IM still learning about UV mapping. But I will keep in my mind the beveling tip. It´s good. I haven´t built a low poly version of it, I might after the course:) Thank you very much, it really means something when it comes from a pro who works in the industry. I will be texturing it in Substance Painter, bake the ambient occlusion and curvature in Substance Designer and play with the effects in SP. I bought it awhile back so I want to test drive it:) Do you know any good tutorials on making game assets? (I will post the result for you here)! Its been a ride, now I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride!
  • lightbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera, what are you working on right now? Is Unreal 4 hard to learn? What is your experience on it?
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lightbird,

If you want to be a lighting artist, or a worldbuilder and want to hit the ground running, then really diving into Unreal 4 is a good idea, and not that difficult to learn.

But if you plan on making props or weapons, just become proficient at creating really good pieces and getting them into a game engine. You can literally learn all you need to learn about getting things into Unreal 4 in 15-20 minutes. Or you could just put your assets into Marmoset Toolbag and get renders there.

There are also way more beastly artists about that could answer your questions better than I if you start posting your 3d work in the 3d section.

Also, check the Wiki for more specific knowledge bits and lists of tutorials.
  • lightbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks:) Yeah, IM interested in Unreal 4 because I have an idea that I would like to translate into a game. More than that, it started with a story that is a supernatural, horror, action role playing game that is anchored in reality. I would love to create a test and see where it takes me. At the moment Im in a competition at 3dconceptart.com (check it out, great site for 3D artists) but I will be working more on the story to evolve it. Its more about faith, mental illness, the struggle between dark and light, hope and love. Anyways Unreal 4 is perfect for the task. So Im working on a short story for a short movie, about 7 to 10 minutes and it will take me about a year or so to create it.Out of this short story the idea for the game was seeded and Im already scratching the surface. I will be looking for funding because I need equipment, rent Maya and stuff like that. But first I need alot more practice in 3D and filmmaking. Ive done my first short a year ago. I love games and world building is something Im really interested in if it is nested within a good story and great playability. I know how tough this industry is but I think I got some original and different elements to it that it can make the game fun and interesting to play. I´ll check the Wiki and I´ll start posting some of my stuff because I need alot of knowledge and there is a ton of talented people here....:) Take care.