Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 3 Crusader WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Heather_Bea polycounter lvl 5
Hi there! I have decided to do a fan art painting of the Diablo 3 Crusader in the Akkans Set with a Phalanx Shield and Flail.

Here are some reference photos-
Armor-
yBHwlJf.png
Sheild-
cGOPjeV.jpg
Flail-
CwV2Hq1.jpg
Human reference-
tumblr_n3rvomuHoz1swf1ieo5_1280.jpg

And this is what I have so far-
ctE4I0D.png

Any feedback/critiques are very welcome!
I'll update and respond when I can : )

Replies

• Heather_Bea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heather_Bea polycounter lvl 5
    fpxdS67.png
    Did a skew to get it to look better and threw on some color.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    The body and gear is coming along nicely, but one thing that stands out to me is the face. I did a little paintover to show what I mean.

The main things I changed were:

• smoothing out the side of the face, as the divot from your eye socket wouldn't show up at that angle,
    • I moved the chin so it is in perspective and shortened it,
    • I also moved the hairline down to cut off more of the face, and then raised the eyebrows, reducing the size of the forehead.

Mostly, some things like the eyes and nose was drawn as if the face was looking straight forward, as the face was turned away, making it look odd. The eyes are a bit small and the head overall was a bit tall.

Some changes are my own personal taste, but the perspective issues and overall proportions I feel are legit problems.
    1DCksj6.jpg

Also, some of the features don't go into perspective like it should, I drew a little box face on the right to show what I mean, kind of hard to put into words. As the features wrap around the face, and move off into perspective, they bend, shrink, and skew a little bit since they are located on a slight curve. (your face is the curve)

Hopefully this all makes sense! :)