Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Foliage Scene

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anglorum polycounter lvl 6
Hey there everyone. Doing another hand painted project now that the Riot stuff's all wrapped up, but this time I'm going to do a little bit of further exploration. I want to try and create an environment that has no man-made or artificial props or characters in it. I want to focus on creating an enteresting environment, using only just that, the environment (things which are naturally occuring such as rocks, water formations, trees, etc.)

To do this, I will be picking from one of three areas in the new Warlords of Draenor expansion, and pulling heavily for inspiration from one of those. Idealy, I'd love to do all 3 of them, but given I have a time budget, being before the 15th of January, we had best just see how far I get on one.

I'll be posting my Work in Progress on this thread, and keeping you guys posted regularly. I get a short break from work, so hopefully I'll be pretty diligent about keeping up on this whole thing.

Here are the preliminary exploration sketches:

Shadowmoon Valley (Finished Concept):

AK2Wi1n.jpg

Frostfire Ridge (Clean Lines):

SG0pCyb.jpg

Nagrand (Clean Lines):

GFjshmd.jpg

They're next-to-thumbnail level of detail at the moment, but I wanted to ensure the overall composition and idea was somewhat apparent.

If you have any questions, or ofcourse critique, don't hesistate to throw it down in the comments section. This should be a great load of fun and I can't wait to push myself further than I have ever before as an artist!

Replies

• FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    oh i am so excited to see how this turns out! Great little sketches, out of them all i am drawn to the first one the most :)
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks FemCharles! I loved your Riot piece.

Here's some clean lines for Shadowmoon. I've received the most positive reaction to that one, so it's a front runner. Would like to at least flesh out concepts for each of them though.

I tweaked the composition slightly and attempted to add a bit of verticality to the piece. I might push it further in the actual 3d scene, but for now, this is as tall as she gets.

qlCDzHZ.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Can't wait to see where this is going. Sub.
    I really like the concept.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Fenyce! I'm excited to get started on the modeling, but first, I'm gonna do these concepts up all nice n' tasty.

Here are some clean lines for the last two concepts.

GFjshmd.jpg

SG0pCyb.jpg
  • AngryMindtricks
    I like :)

Just a reference for your use... the style is quite similar to a iPad game I'm playing atm called "Summoners War"

Subbed, will have a look at your progress :P
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colors for Shadow Moon Valley.

Going to start modeling on this as my time budget isn't nearly what I thought it was. I will continue on to the second two when I've finished this one.

AK2Wi1n.jpg

Also, thanks Angry! And yeah, that's such a great compliment! I love that game's art style.
  • AngryMindtricks
    No problem :)

Although this is just a concept.. and I'm aware of that... when you start building the trees try to think about the direction of how your leaves are falling... I'm not an expert on trees but assuming they were given the same handbook in tree school like plants... the branches will grow towards it's light sources... so from general observation your leaves looks like they should either be dead (logically) or gravity's being an ass hole and has your leaves in a sleeper hold to the ground haha... i kid i kid, but again it's a concept so don't worry too much about correcting it now... just keep this in mind when you start building the trees :)
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    The trees could be weeping willows or a similar droopy tree with larger leaves.

I really like the crystals in the concept!
  • AngryMindtricks
    @billymcguffin

well played sir! I'll bare that in mind next time thanks :D ignore my last post then haha
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah! Angry, the Trees are supposed to be like weeping willows, but I could definitely stand to make that more apparent in the final product. I am kind of pressed for time at the moment due to holiday family visit stuff, but as soon as I return, it's going to be all hands on deck to get this sucker done!

Either way though, feel free to keep the crits comin guys!