Offline / Send Message
AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
Updated
afkslD2.png

aRgCUZZ.png

galt5YC.png

5k8siGp.png

X7nXT1F.png

Hello all it's been a really long time since I last posted, anyways I'm trying to wrap my head around physically based materials.

J7jy9HP.jpg
n2rwVcB.jpg
PWgIuEP.jpg
aRojoxM.jpg
gr26tky.jpg
PPB5RAr.jpg
hDE3R6M.jpg

I have really amazing reference and the ability to hold the pistol in my hand. I feel like I have a good base. but I feel like there is something I'm missing that will really bring this to life. I've spent the past 2 days in Substance Painter tweaking values.

Here is my reference album.
Reference
http://imgur.com/a/HEOdn

C&C welcome.

Replies

• Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I think the main wood material is really pale and boring. Also bronze material needs tweaking, it is too yellow and unrealistic.

edit: I've found an example for you http://gregrassam.artstation.com/portfolio/far-cry-4-elephant-gun-2
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Can we see your maps so we have some idea of where you might be going wrong?

Take a look at this document if you haven't already, especially the "Material Reference Values" section which will give you some good base values for your materials.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zelfit my friend gave me an identical comment about the wood. I also agree about the brass.

Billymcguffin: that document was very helpful I'm going to bed soon but I did see that it said brass did have a white highlight so it may be the exception as far as electric, I tried texturing it as a de-electric first but it just looked off. It was about that time I think I saw the metalness had a slider and I can effect how metal the object is if I read correctly brass probably falls in the 0-20% range. Anyways a lot of this stuff is new to me. Thanks for that PBR doc I'll have to read more tomorrow.

Here are my maps; and thanks for all the help.

Metalness
    ZR4FTJJ.jpg
    Albedo
    1yLTBQO.jpg
    Roughness/Gloss
    yhhpXTx.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I died and went to heaven came back and decided to post.

This has taken me far too long to get to this point. I suppose life has a way of just saying Nope to whatever. Anyways.

j47uBuv.jpg
    tbuMTZ2.jpg
    Z9v5kT6.jpg
    ZEpQLK3.jpg
    Z52lWOO.jpg
    H0wFo2Y.jpg
    CoDpgxT.jpg
    Su1qE0b.jpg
    zG2I65q.jpg
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    I think some of the materials are reading better than before, but it seems like there is a noticeable lack of wear, especially along edges. The brass also seems pretty saturated when compared to something like [URL="ttp://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/8690/9965247_1.jpg?v=8CD4DF9B5FA1950"]this[/URL].

Keep it up! Looking forward to more.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Your wood material feels very flat and could use a bunch of variation within the base color and the roughness map. Same thing can be said about your brass. It feels very much like it is one tone and that's it. You could probably boost up the gloss on the brass as well.

I really enjoy the level of grunge in this as far as the wood. If you were to make your brass like this, it'd probably take away from your ornate decoration.

pistol-US-1819-52372a.jpg

Overall, really focus on nailing the accuracy of the materials.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander I agree and what you said and was going to be my next action, basically adding grunge and distress.I'm not sure if I can just run it though Ddo and get what I need but maybe a good start.
    df
    Matt_BilleciI... yeah the wood needs on the pistol itself looks kinda how it does in the model viewer but I will have to play around with it more.

Thanks for all the Crits guys Keep it up!
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message