Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My substance materials

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
LATEST UPDATE:

Video UPLOADED:

[ame]

I have to say, SD is definitely raising my hype and possibilities on texturing choices. Just this weekend I was able to learn a lot and pretty fast. Reminder, those are all procedurally created, no maps what so ever.

First I did a simple tillable ceramic tile, which I know, it's simple:
proceduraltilejpg

Then I created a rock generator:
procedural_rockjpg

As much as I feel this is a non destructable process, and able to create endless variations and ideas, it's also hard to save something you like, hah.

Please, share your opinions and thoughts about it.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The tiles look really good, and turned out great. The rocks lack believability in my opinion. Maybe a workflow you could play with is sculpting the large shapes and laying in the detail with substance.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I've been playing in SD recently as well and as much as before it was pretty overwhelming I'm starting to get the hang of it too (or so I think) I think for some organic things it really does seem like it is better like BARDLER said, have the bigger shapes and then use SD to texture and add extra details (or maybe a height map to actually give some of the variations)

Really like the tiles though, looks good.
  • josh_lynch
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Exciting to see another Substance Designer thread here! Cant wait to see what you create going forward, I am subscribed!

As far was whats there I like the tiles even though they are simple. It would be nice to see some subtle hue/value variation across the tiles and the grout.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    @Badler, thanks for the feedback man, that was really just a study.

Thanks guys, here's another one I finished.
    cavernrock_hugo_sd2.jpg
    cavernrock_hugo_sd4.jpg
    cavernrock_hugo_sd5.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Those tiles and the last rock pieces looks freaking nuts.

Trying to get something that good in SD makes my head hurt. Someone needs to do a process video for something like this. Hint hint.
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    I like where the rocks are going. I'm with Zammit, a tutorial on this would be nice. ;)
  • Sammy101
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Bugo, love the tile and rocks. Might I ask how long you've been playing with Substance Designer? Tiles look photorealistic.
  • iFraude
    Offline / Send Message
    iFraude polycounter lvl 10
    Hi There ! Great job on the rocks ! I'm quite amazed by your coloring and how you've made it, I couldn't find any reliable resources on how to do that on the web.
    Would you be kind and share your secrets ? ^^

Subscribed, btw ;)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Amazing attention to detail on those last rock textures. I love the little specular mineral deposits.

+1 for tuts, or just a few high-res shots of your node graphs, if you can't be arsed to put all the work into a tutorial.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great job on the rock textures. Would love to see how you set those up as well. Can't wait to see them on an asset.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks fellas, I'm still not sure if I'm good enough to give a tutorial on it. I have been doing stuff on SD for just 1 week. Let me get some more knowledge from it before I go that route. :)
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Was able to finish a decidious tree bark today as asked by a coworker. I've done it from home, so here it is, took around 4hs to do it, I had to basically manage to create the pattern, and that was the hardest thing, then I used A LOT of "non uniform blurs" with anisotropic and asymetry to get different results. That's one of the things Substance is about, is go keep trying and trying every possiple way, until you find your best choice for what you need.

treebark.jpg
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    These are phenomenal man. Doesn't look procedural at all. I'm still in the early days of trying to generate and randomise shapes in SD so I can make these kinds of organic textures. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    bugo wrote: »
    Was able to finish a decidious tree bark today as asked by a coworker. I've done it from home, so here it is, took around 4hs to do it, I had to basically manage to create the pattern, and that was the hardest thing, then I used A LOT of "non uniform blurs" with anisotropic and asymetry to get different results. That's one of the things Substance is about, is go keep trying and trying every possiple way, until you find your best choice for what you need.

this is mindblowing (unless it's a photo! :D)
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Epic texture work Bugo!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
  • josh_lynch
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Wow that bark looks fantastic! Great job :-)
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    I've been wondering about SD for a while now. It reminds me of the time I tried to learn Filter Forge.....

What is the main advantage of SD besides I guess having the ability to tweak later for variations? For example the tile texture you made took you 4 hours to make which is a completely reasonable time limit to do the same thing in zbrush complete with all the maps.

I guess my question is: What made you decide to take the leap and start using SD? Would you say it's more for technical texturing artists? Does it really save all that time connecting and figuring out all the nodes, instead of just hammering it out in zbrush?

Any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Fantastic attention to detail :) I support he idea of making a tutorial for it ;)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    @synergy11 - The node based approach lets you tweak the resulting textures (all of them, roughness, albedo, metallic etc.) nearly in real-time. You can expose any parameters and export the material as a .sbsar file, which several engines can read natively (UE4, Unity, Maya etc.)

For example, you could expose a control for "tarnish" on a brass material, which you could then tweak instantly in your target engine's editor.

The .sbsar file also usually takes up much less space on disk, making your game have a smaller download size. It still ultimately creates bitmap textures for use in the game but they're created at run time, rather than having to be downloaded.
  • Boozebeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff man. I picked up painter and designer in the sale and have been going through some basic tutorials but I think it will take me a while to really get my head around all the nodes and what's possible with them. I Imagine you must have done some similar node based shader work before?
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I appreciate the comments guys.

@dzibarik: haha, no photo, i promess. Here's the crazy an unorganized graph:

treebark_graph.jpg

@synergy11: I'd say it's how interactive it is, how easy is to fix and tweak. At first I was taking longer to do the stuff because I didn't know the software so well, after a week, now I believe I know most of what the nodes do and the relationship between 2 or 3 blends and what they create as heightmaps. I believe that to get really good results in SD will depend on what you do and how much time u will spend on it. The issue with only going with zbrush is that u have extremely limited iteration. Although there are things I won't try doing in SD from scratch, like a wood ornament panel, which I know it would probably need custom sculpt for that, but then I can create other masks with ease and play with values, levels, noises and blend things together and all being iterative.

@Boozebeard: Only Unreal shader node and ShaderForge for Unity, but SD is completely different approach, just keep playing with it is what I would do.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Hay men great work keep it up you are definitely on the right track :D
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Oh thanks man! :)
  • AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    icH5u2z.png

Ready for texturing ! :D
    still have to get my hair/fur patches in place though
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    I think you might have the wrong thread Ashura
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    What? You did the modeling in Substance Designer? But... how? ;)
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Daaaamn dude. I thought I was getting a hang of substance but here this is :D.

Other than trial and error and the Allegorithic Tutorials, is there any other tutorial that really helped things click?
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    To be honest just open the nodes from other already made noises and look how you can achieve things. I mostly did trial and error tho
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    I think bugo you should take this to next level: texturing assets. Tileable are nice, but what Im raelly freaking curious about is texturing singlke assets, piece by piece.

I'd love to see that.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    bugo wrote: »
    To be honest just open the nodes from other already made noises and look how you can achieve things. I mostly did trial and error tho

Hahahha wow. I never knew until today that I could RMB > Open Reference on those. Okay I see. Ty :D
  • AshuraDX
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    I think you might have the wrong thread Ashura

OUPS XD
    If I posted this here...what did I post in the waywo thread ^^U, sorry
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I think bugo you should take this to next level: texturing assets. Tileable are nice, but what Im raelly freaking curious about is texturing singlke assets, piece by piece.

I'd love to see that.

A lot of people are already doing that. The challenge is actually doing tileable to be honest with you. There are a bunch of tutorials out there about that. I believe in tileable textures because I am an environment texture artist. Even working on a ps4 platform game we blend lots of textures together throught verts to get a better result even tho it's a reuse, and tileable means you are following a budget, not just a whole unique asset that texel ratio might hurt you by being lower than anything else. It's just 2 different focuses there. Props and Environment.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    As I was inspired by the surfaces of rocks on mountains I wanted to get a tileable rock for it, again I'm not looking for overall surface that can be done through an unique nmap or a mesh, I'm looking for the surface that stands through the rock. Here's something I came up with with SD today:

Lots of blends with substract, different splatters to get to it.

rock_sd.jpg
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Simple test, just to illustrate the material applied to a mesh. There's no blending yet. I figure the idea is to blend inbetween 3 textures, this noisy one, one with some edging/crumbly details and moss. Disregard the mesh quality please.

rocksurface_mesh.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Great looking stuff man!
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Arvin, here's some test progress..
    Nothing much, just setup a material blending on UDK 4 and blending of cracked and crumbly rock with the first surface made. Pretty much just missing the moss blend.

rocksurface_mesh2.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
  • Solmas
    Offline / Send Message
    Solmas polycounter lvl 4
    Subscribed. Great work Bugo! I'll add another vote for the tutorial request. I've found that I have a difficult time getting believable procedural textures using only SD without sculpting and getting a base normal, height, and AO map to work from. Seeing another work flow would be great to help fill in the blanks :)
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Oh, a tutorial... well, tell me a new material you guys would be willing to see, and I'll try to reproduce with a video when I have some free time.
  • josh_lynch
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    I would be interested in the bark or the rock wall. Or if they are made a similar way then seeing the workflow would be great too :-).
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, maybe then I should try reproducing a new kind of rock surface or bark. I'll get to it as soon as I can, any more ideas?

I did an old plywood today.
    old_plywood_hb.jpg
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Bugo dude, you are doing some outstanding work in SD.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    these are great! I havent used substance a lot but could you make one substance that combines 2 other materials eg paint peeling off an old wooden door? or transparent plastic over metal? or would those just be seperate substances/shaders or something?
  • Zarakun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, this work is insane! Congrats bugo! I just purchased SD few days ago (hello steam sales :))

I'm still in this first approach phase a bit daunting but really exciting at the same time. I've spent most of my time watching official introduction videos and your personal work as well as Josh_lynch or Rogelio's works. You guys are definitely SD killers.

It's really motivating and inspiring at the same time to see that even if it seems obscure at first glance, everything seems possible with this software.

Would you have any advice on how to chose your base noises and pattern when you start an organic texture like the plywood above? I suppose as always it's all about creating the broad shapes first and then adding smaller grain and details but how do you chose your first noise or your first detail information when your substance graph is completely empty?

Do you have some kind of database to know... lets see this cloud noise with the appropriate distortions should do the trick or is it just about trial and error every time you start a new substance?

The blank page syndrome seems even more true to me with this node based approach :(

Any good advice from pros like you would be really great! :)
  • josh_lynch
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Bugo - Plywood looks great. Could be cool to get some subtle value and hue shift in there on top of what you already have to get more definition. Thats being really pick though. Also congrats on the banner! :-)

Zarakun - Im humbled by your words, thank you!
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Real nice Hugo!
    Grats on the banner!

My only suggestion would that some of the notches look slightly off.. Not sure if you did that on purpose.
  • Zarakun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Josh - I mean it, I really like the subtle details on your subway tiles. I'm gonna spend some time to study every type of noise to quickly figure out when to use them.

And for an hypothetical Vertex 3, I'd love to see some article about your workflow guys ;)
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    hugo.. just stop.

stop being awesome. stop now.