Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Garden Bench

Youngy798
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
I had been working on a rust gun, but I thought I would try something easier and try to finish it completely, as well as texturing before going onto more complex pieces.

So far I have this:

rCyqlas.png

I plan to sculpt the metal so it looks more dented, also I need to add in some bolts on the planks of wood.

It is based on these references, but not an exact copy:

iQ9k7dl.jpg

6pbHTCJ.jpg

6iwMujL.jpg

Replies

• Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I redesigned parts the part the wooden planks attach to, I also got the high poly looking nicer, it was looking a bit distorted before.

I am going to redo the bolts, I don't like how they look at the moment.

7O4TukT.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Don't forget that rounded feet on the bottom. Other than that, everything looks good. This is mostly going to be a texturing challenge, understandably.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to keep the feet less rounded, I am not copying the references directly. I may make them more like the first image though, I like that style.

Yeah, this is a practice for me so I can get used to the process of baking high to low poly and creating textures.

I also wanted to get some practice trying to make some different shapes that I haven't done before. I found a great youtube channel with tons of tutorials, it has inspired me to carry on and finish some stuff.

Arrimus3d https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a rebuttal, the rounded feet probably gives the bench more surface area contact with the ground, increasing its stability. Even if you decide it's an aesthetic thing to not keep it rounded, it may behoove you to consider otherwise to really get an understanding on how these props are engineered.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I think you should try and pursue at least the design of the back piece from the last image you posted. It has an interesting design and I think would be a nice change. The seating part seems too flat to me, if you look at the images closely most of them have some sort of slight bend in its profile. Keep going!
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did make a bend in the chair, it might not be very visible for the screenshot angle, from the side its fairly clear.

I don't know about making the curly bits, it would be very polygon intensive.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by polygon intensive?
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would take a lot of polygons/tris to model in all that detail without it looking blocky, for a simple prop like a bench. Making it and rendering it to a flat plane would also look bad

I changed up the bases a bit:

JDaDSNk.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use however many polys you want for the High poly. There's no real limit, just whatever you're trying to nail.

It's only intensive if the low-poly is masive.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, but I still have to get it a decent low poly result
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are pretty boxy shapes. You shouldn't have an issue keeping it reasonably low. Besides engines can handle a decent amount of polys. Obviously keep it as optimized as possible, but the design is much much more interesting, and not that difficult to accomplish.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill have a go then, got to go to bed soon, its like 1 am here.

Ill post some updates in the morning once I have some progress
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't get round to doing anything, but I did find a nice reference.

It was hard to find a proper front on reference of something like this, so I found this image:

ckbbOUy.jpg

and rotated it a bit to get this:

DGVv75s.png

I can then just make one side and mirror it. What would be the best way to go about doing this? Just using the create polygon tool to draw out the shape and then fix it up or should I try and use splines?
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly finished working on it, the separate piece looks like this:

1RZRTTf.png

I managed to keep the majority of it in quads, some tricky bits ended up being tris though.

This is what it looks like as a a double piece, I am having some trouble welding the verts in the middle though, for some reason its not working. Even if I try target weld.

AytnsV3.png

Q7HGT9e.png
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just decided to use symmetry instead. This is the turbo smoothed result

5kTaegu.png
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added it into my chair, it looks a lot better than the planks did.

Thanks for suggesting this and pushing me towards doing, it will make for a much better piece to show my skills :D

4CfDKwS.png
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how the final thing will look with the planks included.

I am not sure about the cylindrical part underneath the wooden planks, it seems to clash with the rest of the design, what do you guys think?

nUFIXvV.png
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any last comments or should I start working on the low poly?
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to change the little rest for the planks, it looks better now.

D72tWoV.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good. just waiting on your texturing.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im really crap at texturing :D

Ill low poly and UV this later, then do some test bakes
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got it to 3.6k tris. Is that too high?

Also, is using the optimise modifier bad? I thought it was alright but you guys have more experience than me :D

hqwN2QS.png
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realized I made some mistakes while doing this, so I have some questions before I go and finally do all this stuff.

At the moment I have my high poly set up like this:

iTPGhzl.png

In the end I am going to have these planks along the metal, but I will probably end up using duplicates of the planks. How would I go about creating an ambient occlusion map, would it mess up if I baked an AO and then moved the position of the planks in the final model? Would it also mess up if I duplicate the planks and use them multiple times?

Additionally, how do I go about making it so that I have both my high and low poly in the same file? I want to be able to go back and forwards and compare how parts are lining up, and also so I can get them into the exact same position.

Lastly, I have been watching this video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_YIHLcpwMU[/ame]

Is it true you don't need to create a cage in xnormal? I have seen other tutorials where they create a cage in max.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoo, totally understand the questions, these might be a mouthful.

\\ Weighing your time put in vs. effect.
    If you want an absolutely accurate and unique AO bake for each of the mesh elements in your low poly, you're going to have to provide a unique UV space for even the items that COULD be clones since each low poly plank is technically in a new position. Same situation happens in places like asymmetrical pants.

Both legs may be of the same material, but one might be bound by a rope or something along the thigh, so I'd have to provide a unique UV space for each pant leg.

Looking at your model, I don't think you'd have to be SUPER worried about providing each plank a unique space. I don't think the AO "issues" would be obvious enough to the naked eye. Unless this is a hero piece, save the time, just clone. Just imagine not only this to make, but trash cans, cars, lamp posts, newspaper stands, etc. in the course of several months for a game like Watch Dogs. The items players will focus on most your prioritize the love.

Now this does leave a question about how to bake your AO properly.

\\ To get the plank AO onto the metal frame:
    1) Move you planks back to where it SHOULD be in the end (the high poly mesh and low poly)

2) Export out the highpoly of the whole highpoly mesh, including planks.

3) Export out only the low poly metal frame, sans planks.

4) In xNormal, don't worry about baking out normals, just bake out your AO.

>> You get an more precise AO on the metal frame than doing an explode bake.

You can do the same for the planks, same method, just only bake out onto the low poly planks.

\\ Explode baking normals:
    If you're worried about normals, those can be baked in an explosion. Move all high poly, and their respective low poly meshes, outwards like an explosion. During a normal bake, since all meshes are not intersecting with each other, an the low poy meshes are with theire respective Hi-Poly meshes, you should get clean, manageable normal bakes.

This does not get your the AO that is accurate or the one you want. This is only really useful for normals or related maps.

ExplodedHPampLP_zps2f9f6675.png

The above methods do take time, much more than something that is simple exporting out your HP and LP to xNormal and baking, but it gets you clean bakes. You can of course make fixes and edits in Photoshop, this is fine and encouraged as necessary.

\\ Keeping your LP and HP in the same position in World Space
    In regards to making sure LP and HP are in the same position in a file, I'm assuming there's a way for your to group or parent an HP to an LP, so when you move the group or move the parent mesh, the child meshes transform as well. Ease of selection on export should be managed by some sort of Scene Objects List (in Maya, that's the Outliner to me), or Display Layers of some sort.

\\ You don't need cages in xNormal
    It is true you don't need cages in xNormal.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My follow up question about the planks is, I basically wanted to have 2 textured planks and just duplicate it in my final model so that I don't waste tons of UV space.

If I place all the planks in place before UV mapping, how would I be able to do this? Wouldn't I then have to UV each separate plank?
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I explained that horribly..

basically. In my final model I want more than 2 planks on the bench, but I only want to texture 2 individual planks.

What would I do if I had say, 4 planks on the model? If I have to put them in place before baking, wouldn't that mean I would have to UV map 4 planks instead of just 2?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, because you can stack UV islands on top of each other. That's how cloning can work for textures.

You would need to only export out only on of each plank with the unique UVs for baking, not all of the low poly planks.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So if I am understanding you correctly, I can just place, for example 4 planks. Then just unwrap 2 and stack them so I have 2 sets of 2 stacked UV's, and the bakes would still work properly?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, assuming you don't export all 4 LPs, and only export the ones you need. Just tor educe the possibility for error.

Give it a try, should be quick.