Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Military checkpoint

Kowalski
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Kowalski polycounter lvl 4
Hi,
I created this Military checkpoint model in 3DS max, textured in Quixel Suite and rendered in Marmoset Toolbag. i need you honest opionion on this.
I did the best. :) thank you for your opinions.

i0xiN2L.jpg
AmjfNAh.jpg
iCOhS8v.jpg
rUChGzE.jpg
fnTAKs1.jpg

Replies

• Kowalski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump?.. I really need your opinion..thanks.
  • Un_dead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_dead polycounter lvl 11
    It's far too scattered. There's no sense of defensive capability. The models themselves seem ok, they kind of fit the same style, but even then; what are they? I've attached a plan of one of the checkpoints I manned a lot during my service. Notice the way cover is placed, as well as stuff placed in the path of a vehicle so as to force it into a chokepoint that has both machine-gun emplacements squarely on it?

In terms of your actual modeling, think about what would be at a checkpoint (razor wire, tank-traps, sandbags, foxholes, machine-gun emplacements, pillboxes) and try to model and place them within the environment with some semblance of order, like they're trying to achieve something.
    I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh, but your "barrels" or whatever they are look so much like resistors in a circuit that you had me confused for a while.

Long and short of it. Your scene has no cohesion, either in modeling style, or in order of model placement.
  • Kowalski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much!
    I really needed this kind of talk. I am going to work on a new "version" of the checkpoint.
    aaand you are right about those barrels..they do look alike a resistors.
    This is my first "bigger" project and i needed a pro. opinion :D about my modelling.
    I appreciate your words. :)

But when you wrote about a razer-wire..i don't know if i should do it with alpha-map or with a geometry.. (if i want to render it in Marmoset). ingame i would use alpha-map.
  • Un_dead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_dead polycounter lvl 11
    It would really depend on how you want it to look. You could do it using a helical spline and making your razor geometry follow it, but that's a little complex. A simple cylinder with an alpha map will do for lowpoly stuff. As for tank traps and concrete barriers, try and make them look like they've been shot at a couple of times, god knows they get enough shrapnel and bullets :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two major issues with this scene, first off the scale off the scene seems very odd. Each object seems to have been modeled at an arbitrary scale and doesn't seem to fit with the others, and the scale of details for the various objects are very confusing, for instance, the very soft edges on the concrete blocks make them look much smaller than they should. The table looks comparatively very large.

The second issue is each mesh seems to have been modeled based on what you think these things look like rather than any specific reference, so all the objects lack believability.
  • BradenLehman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like the wear & scratches in the textures