Home Dota 2

Feeka Workshop!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Malloy polycounter lvl 6
Howdy chaps!

Longtime lurkers, Feeka Workshop (derived from Fika, Swedish cosy coffee times) is a collaborating between myself and a buddy from university! Absolutely love this forum and the wealth of knowledge that it is for aspiring game artists/developers! Am finally proud to announce our first submission to the dota 2 workshop!
Dezun Desecrator
DK_SotSP_Icon.JPG

DezunDes_Turntable.gif

Would like to thank you all for your daily inspiration by posting your arts! Such a joy to keep checking the Dota 2 Workshop thread and seeing all of your workshop sketchbooks!

Going forward we shall start posting our WIP's for feedback and crits based off your experience/opinion and hope to help contribute to the awesome art that flourishes on the workshop via polycount!

Hope all is well!

Malloy/Sam

Replies

• Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Boink!

Currently amidst tackling a weaver set at the moment... Wanted to go for a 'Demonic' theme with weaver, but it's tricky to break against the chitin like body structure whilst maintaining character integrity!

Sam's initial concept:
    WeaverArmour.JPG

I took a lot of liberty with experimenting with this form and sculpted along these lines:
    Weaver_Set_WIP_14.png

And this is it finally baked and rigged...
    Marmoset_Weaver_Screenshot_02.png

Only issue now is diffuse colouring and not completely shattering the restraints of the colour palette. Oh and the fact that the head piece is attached to the back slot and the new mandibles are on the head slot... which would cause issues if the players mixed and matched their sets. Would this make this set potentially invalid from the get go?

Thanks in advance!
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    oh man. its cool set! but... colors!
    need better color scheme like a default imho.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Looks cool but whats the idea behind this set? I cant really see the link between weaver and bone armor. Perhaps if you twist it more into weaver's actual lore then the colour scheme will fall into place a lot more naturally. White looks good but could be made to stand out if it was just highlights as well.
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Oh sorry! Forgot to mention that is just a flat colour to preview normals. The color map is up in the air at the moment :(, super happy fun times!

Many thanks for the feedback though!

Edit:

The lore was along the lines of...

- With weavers new found creative freedom, he starts experimenting with portal fabrication
    - Opens a portal to a new land where he is confronted by a demon, weaver doesn't belong etc...
    - Weaver slays the demon and dons his helm as a trophy, not knowing that the demon has a separate cranial capacity for telekinesis
    - Becomes torn in a battle of possession between creation and destruction.

(Would obviously polish :P, but that is the flavour)
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Update:

Added more visual content to our Dezun Desecrator item, hopefully it provides more clarity of what the weapon is like in its entirety. I feel not having sufficient screenshots of it ingame deterred initial viewers!

Lesson learned. Onward and upward!
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    This is just my personal preference so many see what other ppl say about this but: the more you stray from the original character, the best thing you can do to justify it is having a really logical and concise lore behind the set. So for the bone armor perhaps something like-
    "As a creature that plays with the fabric of reality, Skitskurr's body overlaps at many points during his timeline- manifesting sometimes as a warped combination of his future bony, aged carapace and his current young form."

Just anything very short and logical based on their lore. I dont really know why weaver would fight a demon and wear its head because his ambitions are way higher than collecting trophies.. Im sorry for pressuring you about it but I think it will improve your concepts to think of them in this way :p Im not saying you should use my idea but perhaps think of something else. Weaver seems like the sort of hero who growws his items from his body rather than wears them is what I am trying to say ^^ and the arms and body all look like they are grown from him which suits him.
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    I think it is good that you ask us these questions and it will only encourage us to develop our content more. We will have to have a long hard think about where we're going with Weaver. He's been on the backburner for a while tbh and will require a heavy push to become viable. In the mean time we're going to work on some more singles (Even though singles appear to be out of fashion with Valve atm :( )

Thanks for your critical feedback though man! Love your artwork!
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    quite interesting weaver set :D!
  • KungFuPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    concept is looking great, I would say you should be carefull with changing the colors too much, or the outline of the character. So colors should be like blue red and purple, you can have highlights of a different color but 90% should be the character's own colors
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Cheers guys,

Not sure if Potm is 'lolling' at it with that emote :P but yeh KungFuPanda, that is what we're torn about. Thanks for your input!
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    I like the bone-ish style idea that you've got with the set. But as the others have already said, try not to stray too far away from his lore.
  • Mr.ArtZet
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Eurgh, just did a total rebake of the weaver set components. Time to start rehashing diffuse variations based on Weaver's color pallet.

Weaver_Rebake_01.png

Time to get cracking!
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Ok,

Looking to collaborate with someone on the above ^

I've recently had a lot on my plate and feel like I can't finish this solo in the near future. The components are made, there are texture bakes ready to work from, I just need colour pass/masks and a splash if someone is up for it!

Please let me know :)