Home Dota 2

Automedic's Particle Project

Hello there!

Welcome to my little workshop. I'm specializing on particle effects so pretty much everything you will see here has particle effects attached to it one way or another. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in a collaboration.

ACCEPTED:

200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

SUBMITTED:

200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

VIDEOS and GIFS:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzJDXrbP-2E"]Mirror of Companionship 4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8cqW_p0Ug"]Celestial Spark - Ingame Footage - YouTube[/ame]

637x358.resizedimage

8Z4TMXu

Replies

• Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Automedic wrote: »
    Well, well, well... this is the only item I worked on that ever made it into the shop: The Nether Lord's Regalia. Unfortunately without the particles I contributed. Valve requested them, Robo sent them and they promised to add them on an almost weekly basis. As of now they weren't added. Is it a curse? Don't think so. Come to think of it I probably shouldn't have kicked that old gypsy hag... oh dammit. Anyways, here's what the effects I created for the set look like.
    8Z4TMXu8Z4TMXu.gif

I was wondering about that, so that set never came with custom particles?

I think it's a fine line having users create particle effects, creating something super flashy and impressive will gets lots of votes from the public, but can lead to the game looking like a huge disco.

Perhaps valve want's to moderate that, arcanas and mythicals tend to get their own custom particles to make it special, so when everyone's submitting sets with those in them it might lose its value over time.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »
    I was wondering about that, so that set never came with custom particles?

I think it's a fine line having users create particle effects, creating something super flashy and impressive will gets lots of votes from the public, but can lead to the game looking like a huge disco.

Perhaps valve want's to moderate that, arcanas and mythicals tend to get their own custom particles to make it special, so when everyone are submitting sets with those in them it might lose its value over time.

Might be, I don't think that applied to this item though. Compare it to the normal Pugna Weapon and ward effect. This one is a lot less flashy. We were actually concerned that it might not be visible enough. Anyways, during the Cinese New Year event they told us they were busy with other projects so I suppose they simply forgot about it. Otherwise they could've just told us the effect won't make it into the game straight out.

I personally consider particles a way to enhance a concept of an item over just its model. Of course the game will get super-messy if everyone just randomly applies particle effects to their items, so I generally try to avoid that and keep it basic.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for updates! Might be a little bit late, but here's another project I've been working on. I created the rot effect for the Pudge's Chains of the Black Death set created by Random Smiley Face (:3) and Kunkka for Neil and SUNSFan from DotaCinema.

Unfortunately pictures don't quite catch an animated particle effect, so here's a video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fegmRvS-lNs"]Dota 2 Chains of the Black Death (Pudge set - Workshop submission) - YouTube[/ame]

17236_Pudge_Black_Rot.gif

49305_Pudge_Black_Rot_top.gif
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm proud to announce that the rot effect I created for Dota Cinema's Pudge set "Chains of the Black Death" is the first community-made particle effect that made it into the game! Here's the video CleGFX created for the release and a gif of the final version of the effect:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bd3rZ3vr5Q"]Dota 2 Pudge - The Black Death Arrives - YouTube[/ame]

43683_pudgeBlackDeathreworked.gif
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    well done, bro! still waiting for some tutorials from u
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently I'm working on a little own project for Shadow Demon, a hero that hasn't recieved a lot of love in the workshop yet. As I'm not a big fan of his default particle effects I want to design a new particle overhaul similar to the Celestial Spark I created for wisp. It's still WIP so I'd definitely appreciate feedback! As only Arcana items can remake all of his abilities though I highly doubt that Valve will consider adding it so it's more practice than ambitious work. Still, it's fun to tinker with this kind of effects. We'll see what I'll do with it in the future.

I've started off with Disruption. For this I've reworked the entire effect and created new materials for it. The chains around the effect are randomly rotated when the effect is spawned so it will always look a little bit different.

34056_SinisterSpark_disruption_reworked.gif

The second effect I've tackled is Shadow Poison. I think it's pretty tough to rework the effect as its recognition pattern is extremely basic (a black, smokey cloud). To allude to the strife for power theme of SD's lore I've added a humanoid silhouette that should rise from the cloud, embrace/grab the targets the spell is supposed to corrupt, then fall back into the smoke. This effect still is nowhere near finished, I'm currently looking for a way to add a blur/smoke effect to the humanoid silhouette so it blends better with the main body of the effect. As of now I've had no luck with that, but I'll keep working on it.

65269_SinisterSpark_shadowpoison_reworked.gif

The effects for Soul Catcher and Demonic Purge are currently only in a very early stage, so I'll upload gifs of them some other time.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    The only thing that worries me about these particles, espically the pudge one is that it ignores the base color pallet of pudge's base particles. It's not so much of a problem given that you can't have multiple pudges in a game, but the fact that you altered from green to a dark red says to me that if you were alter say, vipers autoattack particle from green to yellow that would be ok. But my question is if sets need to follow the base color pallet of the hero, why should particles be any different? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm in a similar boat you're in, given the fact that there is so little support for these systems it's almost our responsibility to flesh it out properly for future submissions. Maybe I'm overthinking it as well, who knows! As long we dont see rainbows flying out of Sprit Breakers ass while he charges, I think I'll be ok with whatever you produce to be honest haha. Although, now that I think about it, that would make an excellent april fools submission! Haha!

Now, besides my opinion on that. The shadow shamon stuff youre working on is absolutly brilliant, even as it is now it looks solid, cant wait to see the finished product.

They also need to consider selling gems separately so we can just submit particles and animations without bundling them with sets. :thumbup:
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    65269_SinisterSpark_shadowpoison_reworked.gif
    really cool, just think the big guy in front its calling too much attention, maybe turning it into multiple smaller dudes could help.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing that worries me about these particles, espically the pudge one is that it ignores the base color pallet of pudge's base particles. It's not so much of a problem given that you can't have multiple pudges in a game, but the fact that you altered from green to a dark red says to me that if you were alter say, vipers autoattack particle from green to yellow that would be ok. But my question is if sets need to follow the base color pallet of the hero, why should particles be any different? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm in a similar boat you're in, given the fact that there is so little support for these systems it's almost our responsibility to flesh it out properly for future submissions. Maybe I'm overthinking it as well, who knows! As long we dont see rainbows flying out of Sprit Breakers ass while he charges, I think I'll be ok with whatever you produce to be honest haha. Although, now that I think about it, that would make an excellent april fools submission! Haha!

That gives me an idea :poly123:

No, let's be serious: Actually the first version of the effect I created was red/green-ish and therefore a lot closer to the original, using the colours of the default rot and the dismember blood effect. It looked pretty sick (literally). We changed it later on because SUNSFan and Neil wanted it to be black (given the black plague theme) and Valve agreed to the colour swap, probably because they thought the scope of the change would be justified by the rarity and overall complexity of the set (levelling beard, custom icons, several styles). I absolutely agree that changing the basic effect colour is a very dangerous thing but black/red were the only colours that we could've swapped to without introducing new colours to his palette (red is used by his wounds, the hook and dismember; black/grey is present in the hook, the offhand, the rings/chains; the only other colour is green). I don't think it will be something they'll accept on a regular basis, so I guess we should consider it Terrorblade Arcana's little brother in that aspect.
    Now, besides my opinion on that. The shadow shamon stuff youre working on is absolutly brilliant, even as it is now it looks solid, cant wait to see the finished product.

They also need to consider selling gems separately so we can just submit particles and animations without bundling them with sets. :thumbup:

Hehe thank you very much. I personally don't think particle effects should stand alone. I like the supporting aspect of particles, they should be a way to enhance a set concept beyond its model. For animations though it's a different matter entirely since they can be combined more freely without risking a complete clusterfuck. An option to submit gems or taunts is long overdue.

*charges into the sunset*

35040_FABULOUS.png

P.S.: Sorry.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 wrote: »
    really cool, just think the big guy in front its calling too much attention, maybe turning it into multiple smaller dudes could help.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure wether multiple smaller models wouldn't just be more confusing. I think alternatively I could reduce the size or turn him invisible once I manage to attach a blur/shadow effect to the silhouette.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    How do you do custom particles!!

-

You can also just change the person into a skull and make some sort of "Consumed into darkness" thing.
    or
    Some sort of sludge or ooze to define the poison aspect of the ability
    ("shadow poison")
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you do custom particles!!

I'm using the Alien Swarm Particle Editor. Cyborgmatt once released a simple guide to get it to run.
    You can also just change the person into a skull and make some sort of "Consumed into darkness" thing.

That was actually my first concept for the effect. The problem was that most people would see the skull from top view so the animation would be barely noticeable.
    Some sort of sludge or ooze to define the poison aspect of the ability
    ("shadow poison")

That's a good idea! Maybe small, dark puddles left in the wake of the effect. I think I'll try something like this.
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    your work is....amazing.......(crying in tears and grab your hand QmQ
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow - there's some REALLY nice work here! It's super interesting to hear the backstory behind the trials and tribulations of getting particles in game and accepted by Valve as well - it seems there's been quite a lot of ups and downs in the whole process of getting your first particles accepted.

The new Shadow Demon particles are amazing too - they really show that great FX can add that little something extra which a normal set or custom animation can't.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work on the Shadow Demon overhaul is temporarily suspended. I found out that it's impossible to add particle effects to my grabbing demon for the Shadow Poison, so I got to think of something else to blend it into the effect.

Besides that I've been busy working on some other projects. First a small particle effect for Crowntail's Slardar set. He wanted some additional blurs originating from Slardar's fins during the sprint. I also wanted to expand the cast animation a bit (a water splash dripping off of his body) to make it a bit more unique but Crowntail preferred the simple version.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSp_PH9C6QQ"]Sea Devil: New Set of items for Slardar by Crowntail. Made for CaspeRRR from SLTV. - YouTube[/ame]

And also a small collaboration on a set of AM weapons for [prosto-mogy]'s chest. He requested custom particle effects for the blades as well as a new Blink and Mana Void effect. Creating those was a bit tricky because it's a pretty fine line between creating a unique effect and retaining the readability of short-lived effects like those.

doc47308563_283162789?hash=7a9ccd2c2d3c169652&dl=6d60edd6482366d33d&wnd=1

doc47308563_283163199?hash=4aea9db884819cf253&dl=1bfef129505e04bf4d&wnd=1

doc47308563_283163489?hash=c11558e6c1f79bc74b&dl=7be498e33036fa0050&wnd=1

...oh, and something nice will happen tomorrow :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...oh, and something nice will happen tomorrow :)

oh really?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    oh really?

Tomorrow is April first. So it can be anything*shrug*
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomorrow is April first. So it can be anything*shrug*

best day of the year
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    This makes me miss all the sfx that were in Dota 1 that haven't(or will never) yet made it into Dota 2. Looking good! :-) Also my work blocks pictures from your filehosting website :-(
  • BladeofEvilsBane
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://youtu.be/9VWwOuELhws

Hahaha, nicely done

Damn, was in lab all day and now you beat me to posting it :)

Well guys, here's my new collaboration with DotaCinema, :3 and CLeGFX on the first community-made arcana item. I'm sure you guys will love it. I mean you have to. It even has hearts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VWwOuELhws&feature=youtu.be

637x358.resizedimage

(Fun fact: DC l Neil contacted me about that idea completely independently from AndrewHelenek :poly115:)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the particles are neat
  • AbyssWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, I have a question regarding custom particles on SB's weapon. I have a set on the workshop, but the thing I've hat the most problems is actually getting the particles on his weapon to load ingame.. any tips? Making the particles in the AlienSwarmSDK, I've figured out so far.. getting them to load ingame however has so far been a nightmare.
  • AbyssWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for double posting. Figuered them out! :D
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update. I've been pretty busy with my Bachelor's thesis lately so the time I could invest in the workshop suffered a little from that. Anyways, here is the Disruptor Ward I've been working on with Crowntail, Prophet and Robo.

ix6FmsNFn4bsC.gif

I must admit I've been pretty thrilled about the latest sets for ES and Abbadon that got accepted. Non-arcana sets that can overhaul the entire ability set were something I've been waiting for for a long time. And that's where my Shadow Demon particles kick in. Looks like what started off as a practice/just-for-fun project could actually stand a realistic chance. Anyways, here's the updated version of Shadow Poison and Disruption.

Shadow Poison - still the same crappy animated silhouette, but I feel like the particle effect part is pretty decent now.

i8SjI2F7BVDfF.gif

Disruption: added a few new details and reduced the particle count a bit.

i7wTIG6iACyRX.gif

And last but not least: a brand new effect for Soul Catcher. I didn't dare to touch the debuff as that could easily screw up the recognition value and hence affect gameplay, but the spawn effect gives a bit room to play. The particles emitting from the edges of the pentagram are actually homing, it looks quite nice when you have a moving target. Probably the most complex effect I've ever created. The gif is a bit laggy I'm afraid (because my computer is really crappy), so just imagine it to be... smoother :).

iS8Kg0Bcv2qFn.gif
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    All of those effects are amazing :O

We need more of this stuff!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Would you, if you have some spare time, to remake Pugna's Dota 1 attack particle? I'd just want to see that.
  • Shtreimel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, your effects are looking awesome!

How do you make all these amazing effects? (with what softwares?)

Would you ever make a tutorail of how to make an effect so we all can see the workflow of making an effect for Dota 2?

Keep it up man!:D
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy cow, I'm loving the Shadow Poison effect so much
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    The disruption's chains are a bit dull to me but the soul catcher fx is totally awesome, great work !
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a ward?

Let me elaborate. The eyeball on the ward, while interesting makes it very hard to identify as a ward, without there being a black pupil it reads as a single color. Simply darkening the center of the 'eye' would greatly increase its visablity in game. I also believe there should be a tilt in the eyeball to also make the center cross the path of the camera, the 'eye' would read better that way. The other half is the particles, while on the sentry they look cool, the warmer hue of the observer ward makes the particles look really silly and unfitting. I feel that if the particles also reflected that hue shift then they would be less of a problem. I think something like that is possible since the observer and sentry by default have different particles.

And personally, I feel the particles are a bit overwhelming to begin with. But that could very well be a person peference.

On a more positive note, the shadow demon stuff is awesome, although some feedback on the chains, I feel there should rotate on more then one axis, even if the other axis is subtle.

Cheers!
  • defaultsystem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a ward?

wasn't sure what I was looking at either

Everything looks really awesome though. I've been trying to create some particles as well, but it's a complete bitch. major respect :P
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    You are a big inspiration. Keep it up
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

@vertical: you mean that big, green splash attack? That shouldn't be too difficult - I'm still a bit busy but I'll give it a shot if I find the time.

@Shtreimel: I'm using the Alien Swarm SDK's particle editor. Cyborgmatt once released a little guide to get it to run. I've considered creating a tutorial but since I'm still pretty tied up at the moment (and accouting for the editor's complex options is more a task for a wiki than for a guide), it's probably not going to happen in the near future.

@AndrewHelenek: Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I wasn't actually involved in the modelling process so I don't really know what the reason for the missing iris is. As far as the particles are concerned: I've tried recolouring the effect for the observer but it just didn't read as a Disruptor ward anymore, so I kept the blue for both versions. The flashiness and "dominance" of the particles over the model is indeed intended (a tesla coil is also pretty bright business :)) - but it gets better from farther away, since the screens are all pretty close-up.
    Concerning the Disruption chain effect: The chain rotation axis indeed varies independently for both chains when it is cast, so they'll always spawn differently. I've considered to slowly rotate the chains around the core but I think it might just be a bit of a visual overkill (too much happening at the same time). I'll give it a shot though, I guess. You never really know how it turns out.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
  • flashice2030@163.com
    hi,Automedic
    After you edit your costum FX in the alien swarm what is the next step . How do you realize put the particle effect into the game.

best regard
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

after you created a particle file you have to override the vpk for that specific file. Here's a guide for that - replacing particles works pretty much the same way as replacing models/sounds. You can also add completely new particle files to the game but that's fairly complicated and probably more advanced than what you need right now.

I hope that helped!
  • flashice2030@163.com
    Hi,

after you created a particle file you have to override the vpk for that specific file. Here's a guide for that - replacing particles works pretty much the same way as replacing models/sounds. You can also add completely new particle files to the game but that's fairly complicated and probably more advanced than what you need right now.

I hope that helped!

How about your particles works,Are they all using replacing method instead of adding new complicated particle files.

I find that alien swarm particle editor is so hard to learn, how to start.
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi. i have an issue with particle editor:
    for some reason a lot of materials(vmt) for particles doesn't shows up in preview when i'm browsing it, but particles still works fine, for exaple "abaddon_aphotic_shield_explosion_trail"

Hrya.jpg

i have same thing with 50% material. did you faced this problem? how you solved it?
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the materials just don't show up, depending on their type. Beams for example cannot be previewed because they need at least two seperate points in space to render. Trail particles behave similarly, they need velocity to show up. That's why you can see them in the preview windows but not in the material selection preview.

The one you have there is a trail.
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the materials just don't show up, depending on their type. Beams for example cannot be previewed because they need at least two seperate points in space to render. Trail particles behave similarly, they need velocity to show up. That's why you can see them in the preview windows but not in the material selection preview.

The one you have there is a trail.

got it. much thanks
  • flashice2030@163.com
  • Shtreimel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, you said you're using that Alien Swarm Paticle Editor, but how do I make the costum particles?
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No update for quite a long time, so here's a bunch of stuff I have been working on in the meantime.

First a particle request for an OD weapon by prosto-mogy I created some time ago:

637x358.resizedimage

You also might have seen the particle overhaul I created for the Qualdin's Ambassador set by Crowntail and Yakonusuke. Here are a few gifs of the effects.

EE3964462D41EFAC5CF26EF9B4A79E1353EF137C

65467AD9EDA4EE220FD2BC321EC30C567504A2FE

824F538702E26DCB76036267709BCAF7AA1B9A95

23F663D1A896C8877B117DEEDB3EB00A2616B52E

And last but not least some WIP of a Sniper Ultimate I'm creating for BrontoThunder's upcoming Sniper set. He requested an ultimate consisting of two spinning bullets instead of one. As I pesonally think that his interpretation of Sniper is pretty... macho (?) (come on: headband and double-barreled rifle - it doesn't get more manly than that) I aimed for a more brutal/unrefined version of the ult (for example by adding absolutely exaggerated barrel fire when launching the projectile). I'm still not sure about the impact effect though - I initially wanted to go for a more bloody version but figured that it might probably be a bit too violent/gory (given that the bullets actually pierce the body in this effect), so I settled for sparks instead. I'm still a bit undecided, though - what do you think?

iMXbYBiidWVxR.gif
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I love this sniper ultimate effect. I am just curious if there is possibility to change the red smoke coming out riffle so it would not be rigid to its rotation. Could it just emit from muzzle position and than be affected by gravity/air so it would stay there for a moment even if sniper would run away later?.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    I love this sniper ultimate effect. I am just curious if there is possibility to change the red smoke coming out riffle so it would not be rigid to its rotation. Could it just emit from muzzle position and than be affected by gravity/air so it would stay there for a moment even if sniper would run away later?.

Yes and no - I actually tried that earlier but his casting animation is pretty fucked up. If the rotation is not locked the effect will launch sideways in a pretty weird way. (Fun fact: Sniper's rifle doesn't actually face straight ahead when he shoots his bullet. Imagine the barrel fire emitting at an angle 20° different from the projectile. :poly124:).
  • flashice2030@163.com
    HI,Automedic
    Had you ever tried to make a custom SFX item,I mean the original item did not have sfx. if you did so ,how was the work thread.
  • schnoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    I love these! If I may ask, how did you manage to create those chain particles, and have them circle the circumference of the disruption? I'm trying to figure out how to do something fairly similar, and i think insight into that would help me a lot!
  • Moffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, can u make custom particles for my sword? And how many % u want?