Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Phantom Assassin – Raven's Shadow

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
TelekineticFrog and Nik [TEAM]

[Dota2] – Phantom Assassin – Raven's Shadow

I decided to do Phantom Assassin as I really like the character a lot after watching her in game and playing with her some. I will be doing a set named Raven's Shadow. For now it will consist of Head (Helm with faceplate), Shoulders, Back and Weapon. If I can get through those with quality in time I will do the remaining pieces of the set.

Concept paintings shortly.

Adding my friend, co worker and now team mate for this comp, Nik. Nik is a concept artist with me over at Kings Isle Entertainment. He will post our concepts up shortly.

UPDATED WIP MODELS #01 - 11/02/12 "HELM"
DOTA2HELMWIP001.jpg
UPDATED WIP MODELS #02 - 11/02/12 (IMPORT TO DOTA 2 TEST "HELM")
testimport1.jpg
UPDATED WIP MODELS #03 - 11/03/12 "MAIN WEAPON"
DOTA2MAINWEAPONWIP001.jpg
UPDATED WIP MODELS #04 - 11/04/12 (IMPORT TO DOTA 2 TEST "MAIN WEAPON")
testimport3.jpg
UPDATED WIP MODELS #05 - 11/05/12 "BELT"
DOTA2BELTWIP001.jpg
UPDATED WIP MODELS #06 - 11/11/12 "MAIN WEAPON EDITS"
DOTA2MAINWEAPONWIP002.jpg
UPDATED WIP CONCEPT #01 - 11/11/12 "SHOULDERS"
Dota2_PhantomAssassin_shouldersNEW.jpg

Replies

• Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best of luck to you! You are already covering all the pieces allowed for Phantom Assassin, as you are not allowed to alter the bracers or boots. The only piece you're missing from that list you made there, are her daggers(belt)
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the helm (head) for the Raven's Shadow set a bit this evening. It is segmented so the bottom jaw of the beak and neck (like a collar) is one 1/2 of the helm making the lower part and then the upper part being the face, upper beak and cranium. This weekend I will get to spend more time with the set making my base meshes. May do a couple paint overs as well when time permits. Any feedback or thoughts, even if so early is appreciated.

*Current Helm WIP is at top of thread.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Cool idea, but I think you've taken it a bit too far. It has to be clear that it's a mask at first glance.
  • diegoleeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agree with spudnik. it really looks like a chicken without reading the title and your description
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    Hello All! As TKFrog mentioned I have joined the team, hooray! anyways here is the first rough set of concepts for what the armor (helmet and shoulders) might look like.

QdV6m.jpg

Anyways its large slew of raven/wing themed armors, some more abstract some more literal with the theme. Some having nothing to do with Ravens at all.

Were thinking about going with #1 without the uhm...eyebrows, since they dont look very ravenish. I'll do some variants on that one later but if you guys have any feedback, thoughts, and/or suggestions please lets hear them.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Some awesome ideas there, the one you're favouring really does look good. I also really like 3 and 6, some great shapes there.
  • tjallen8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept #1 looks fantastic. Also I can tell that a feather-style weapon would look great.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Wow concept 1 looks amazing! I'll all for anything feathery and this fit the bill quite well :D
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    liking the bird look.

have you seen the wc3 warden?

it's what phantom assassin's dota 2 look is based off, and there are some neat parallels between it and your design
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    yeah there is that wing motive on the WC3 Warden, kinda neat its an completely unintentional callback. But TKFrog came up with the theme, so he may have had ulterior motives that I didn't know about.

thanks for all the feedback guys!
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 and 6 looks great!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 and 6 are my favorites!
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    So TKFrog and i decided to go with #1 of the original set and here are some more variants based on that.

gBOlN.jpg

We're still thinking of going with helmet 1A, but can't decide between which shoulders to use. 1,7, and 9 seem to be the runners up for us, but maybe you guys have some good ideas or thoughts on this. We where also considering mixing some of the elements form different shoulders together.
  • Trakesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer 7. Seems more realistic and not too heavy on the design, but it conveys the idea of a bird theme spectacularly well. It would probably also be easier to distinguish the individual features on the cosmetics during normal gameplay with the bright/dark areas that outline the different layers. The lack of obvious shoulder guards like 1 and 1a also seems to work in favour for the design while the feathers that replace it blend in better with the overall outfit. Besides I feel like the cloth over her face just seems like its trying too hard to look cool on the variations of 1, making it hard to take it seriously. If you go for the 1 or 1a designs I suggest you think about removing it, I personally believe she would look better without it in the case of 1 and 1a.

The cloth hiding her face fits really well with the helmet in 7 though, after my own opinion of course.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik sometimes I think you're just trolling threads...number 11 looks like the raven is humping the back of her helm.

The warden must've been in my subconscious since I played WC3 tons. We may take the beak shape and add some subtle serrations to the shape...nothing too crazy but just to adjust silhouette. The mix of armor helm and scarf over lower face plays well into the assassin motif of the character. 9 was going in the direction of play on the whole death mystique idea. Let us know what you all think, we're having a lot of fun with jamming on this together.
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10 is also pretty cool

edit: now that you said that, I can't unsee it. In that case 1 or 1A is nice, 10 is cool if the claw wasn't so "textury" you know? the bumps on the talons i mean, if you smooth it out it might be nice
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Amasing art, comrad, I am too obsessed with Phantom Asassin) I personally like 1 and 8.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7's shoulders are nice! I like 1's helmet the best and 8. It has a nice silhouette :D
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damnit, now I can't unsee it either. -.-'

The reason why I originally liked 11 is because it looks more like a helm and less like a mask. I still think it's the strongest design, but you're right, maybe some adjustments to the bird's position would be in order :D

Same goes for the shoulder (11), it looks more like armor that carries a motif rather than a motif that serves as armor, and, again, I think that's why it's overall a stronger design.
  • foeffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1A and 7 look fantastic. Would buy straight away.
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

jlm08.jpg

TKFrog and I decided we needed a bit more stylization on the helmet and shoulders so here is a slightly updated version of the 1A/7 crossover. 7A was what we came up with 7B is just a bit more serration on the beak and a slightly altered beak. Most likely we will also add the "bulge" to the helmet from 7B since 7A right now is a bit too flat.

Anyways will try and post some weapon concepts tonight or tomorrow.
  • metaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concept and idea, hope to see more !
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    -Helmet activates passive ability: all arguments against it suffer a 100% effectiveness reduction.

Looking great guys!
  • Trakesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I like 7B more as a helmet, but if it was an actual birdfolk person I would prefer design 7A.

Other than that I have no constructive feedback, just praise for the design. :)
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    Doh! TKFrog and I where working so hard we forgot to post our progress over the weekend! So here it is.

KuslY.jpg

some work on the back of the shoulders.

ly43J.jpg

some early weapon concepts; we liked #1 so I went on and elaborated on it.

y3Fx6.jpg

So this is the final weapon set we have. We are still working out which one to go with so any suggestions would be welcome.

TKFrog is also working on the model now, he should be posting later on tonight or tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay progress! This is a wip shot of the helm coming together. I will post some more screengrabs this evening to show where it is right now. I'm at work and this is the only shot I had access to. Having fun with this project. Might be changing the eye on the helm to less stylized shape and more to a round shape like a bird's eye normally is.
    Feedback is always welcomed.

*Current Helm WIP is at top of thread.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #2 tickles my fancy.
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    #2 of what? the backs? the first set of weapons? or the second set?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies, I was referring to the weapons (the colored ones). The back pieces are all great, hard to pick a favorite...
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    #2 of the elaborated concepts definitely looks the best to me.
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just chiming in to say how amazing this is coming out so far. When I first saw that WIP I wasn't to pleased, but looking down at the new concepts, I was so amazed, keep it up.

But as to the weapon design, I'm really leaning towards number eight.
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    Thanks for input guys. I think right now 1,2,7, and 8 are the runners up on the weapons. TKFrog and I will see if there are anymore opinions if not we'll just have to decide on our own.

In the mean time some concepts for the belt daggers

BucOZ.jpg

and the Cape.

f91kZ.jpg

We're thinking 8 or 12 on the daggers, and 2 or 3 on the capes.
  • Pemaktitkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pemaktitkis polycounter lvl 7
    second one is the best and fits this whole raven theme rly well
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    #7, #11, #12 new weapon pix.

#2 cape.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helm is at the happy place and ready to sculpt up in Z Brush. Shoulders in progress and will post shortly.

DOTA2HELMWIP001.jpg
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick test to make sure I could indeed get this stuff out and into DOTA 2 when the time arrives. Was not bad at all.
    testimport1.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Helmet's looking good - I'm really looking forward to seeing this set progress, especially the weapons.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt ready mesh for the main weapon complete. Got the shoulders completed but then found there is no alpha test for this character, so had to scrap it and we're coming up with an alternative shoulder for the set. Concepts should be up shortly for that and a sculpt ready mesh final by end of the weekend and then it is on to sculpting on the Helm, Shoulders and Main Weapon. Feedback always welcome.

DOTA2MAINWEAPONWIP001.jpg
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another quick import test into DOTA2 to check that the main weapon behaves proper during animations and isn't clipping other geo. Worked great. Just a small adjustment in the length of the grip and all was good.

testimport3.jpg
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, man! Fantastic design. Love your concepts - you really caught the Raven style. And, alas, daggers are not in the list) Head
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 1200
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 600
    Texture Size: 256H x 256W
    Shoulders
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 1000
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 550
    Back
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 500
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 450
    Weapon
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 700
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 600
    This model should primarily be bound to the bone: weapon0_0
    Belt
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 500
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 300
    Texture Size: 128H x 256W

Also do not forget about polycount and this fact, that you can not use alfa to cut feathers tips on the shoulders. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1690681&postcount=242
    Great job so far, Keep it up!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man!

ACap: He must be able to use alpha, look at the base of that cape. The bottom is all alphaed up! xD
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this character unfortunately has no alpha test for materials. The default cape she wears for the back slot is all done with geo. The holes and irregular edge are modeled in. I actually had the shoulders finished for sculpting and then came to realize that. Oh well. So now myself and Nik are coming up with a new alternative shoulder piece for the set. Should have something up for that soon. As for the daggers, they are actually her belt slot, so yes they will be coming along for the ride. Nik and I were going to go with #8 from our concept lineup, save a change to the transition from blade to hilt which will match more of what is going on in the main weapon. Also going with cape #3 from our concepts for the back slot. More updates on the way soon. Thanks for the kind words all.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need some feedback on this. So I noticed some minor clipping on the main weapon in the game camera view. It was in part to the length being short, but it was matched almost to the same length of the default weapon that is in game. I tried to tweak it and still would get minor clipping, mainly on the ends of the cape during run animations as the tattered ends of her default cape swing pretty far left and right during those animations. Out of curiosity I exported the native main weapon and tested it and it also has the same clipping issues with the cape. I guess it isn't a big deal. I did though play with an alt length and configuration of the main weapon I modeled out. Mainly the grip area is lengthened a bit and the back end blade is rotated to face the same direction as the forward blade. This gives the blades an interesting raven wings silhouette in this arrangement and then both blades have a slight counter twist to each other. Anyways...thoughts? I figure clipping to some small extent will always be inevitable.

testimport4.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    I wouldn't worry about small amounts of clipping given that even some of the default sets have it. Nice progress so far.
  • Nik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nik
    So after that whole no alpha discussion TKFrog and I had to go back to the drawing board for the shoulders since our previous idea had way to many feathers sticking out. Here is what we came up with.

t2C8D.jpg

Were thinking about using #1 but if you guys want to share your thoughts on this that would be cool.
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 2 5 4 6

in order of what I like the most to what I like the least, don't even consider 3 it's an odd shape for phantom assassin
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    2 followed by 1