Home Dota 2

Is there Any data available on payout/acceptance rate?

So last year I made a hud which i thought was pretty good (link) but didn't get accepted. Ok no sweat, it was a learning experience. I'm considering making something new but the workshop is pretty packed with content and it makes me wonder what the frequency of acceptance is. Then I wonder how much money people see once they do get accepted.

Over all, i'd like to see if I make 10 huds and only 1 gets accepted, would it be economically viable for the time spent making them? Anyone have any numbers on this?

Replies

• Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    I read somewhere that a median is about 15k a year for a good item, sorry I dont have it in front of me. The gwneral consensus is, do it because it's fun, if you make money then great!
  • MrNobody109
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNobody109 polycounter lvl 4
    6k for 2 months
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno where you read the 15k/year thing, but honestly i don't think that the life span of an accepted set (not even a single item) is that long, unless it's mythical or legendary, and also in that case i kinda doubt.

Talking about revenue anyway is forbidden from the workshop contract if i'm not wrong, i'm sure someone else can confirm.

What i can say is that there is quite some variability in what any of the workshop artists makes in terms of money, depending on what they work on (sets, hud, wards, single items, pro-player sets, tournament boundles, etc...), how much time and quality they put on their creation, and how many people are involved.

Also, if you get something added to the game, the revenue can variate a lot depending on the period, how many chests have been released together and a lot of other factors that can shift the amount of sales.

In general, don't worry too much about the money, worry about making something high-quality that will make people go "WOW! I WANT THAT!"

Also a good tip to get noticed and have more chances to get stuff inside the game is...be consistent in your releases...meaning....don't release one thing, and then disappear from the workshop for 6 months....keep doing stuff, keep being there, and get noticed (this was told to me by Anuxi, and i just forward it to you).

Good luck
  • perfectpencil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points Motenai. I'm hoping to maybe release an item or two but for me (with 2 mouths to feed and not a lot of income) the dollar at the end of the rainbow is the goal, not so much making something nice. Which is a sad thing to say but... overall, if I can dedicate an hour or two a night and pull in more money than I would at a McJob, it is worth it for me......but the work with no payout is scary. I look at this venture now and think "man... when I was a teenager this would be perfect" ...but these days, time goes by faster, bills hit harder and every step along the way needs to be carefully calculated to keep the roof over my head and food in our bellies.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    motenai : The rule that I live by myself aswell:) . Persistence is the key word here . I couldt get shit in 2 years ago , and with a good reason , I needed practice/learning , and even tho' I had the desire to quit a few times , I knew that if you keep going/ get better , it will pay out .

"Over all, i'd like to see if I make 10 huds and only 1 gets accepted, would it be economically viable for the time spent making them? Anyone have any numbers on this? "

Yes it is viable , a 1/10 succes rate is considered a win in my books. It depens on your time spent offcourse. It is indeed forbidden to speak about hard number.

Gl
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I have been grumpy for sometime and for a good reason. Still, I do it because I like making stuff that the community appreciates. Got good amount of votes of many stuff I made for an entry artist and that keeps me going. Also, looking at my work, you will notice I keep improving as i go on! The amount of learning I get is amazing and that a lone is a great payoff. Still, getting something in a chest is my ultimate goal that I have yet to achieve. A lot of new comers had better luck than I, which can be frustrating, that should not deter you from making stuff. Hell, even if you don't get anything in ever, having stuff in the workshop with ascii thumbs and dicks is a motivation alone!
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Vayne4800: those erected dicks coments are what drives the workshop around:)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I don't know exact figures, but from the extensive searching I've done, here's what I've found.
    If you get at least two acceptances a year, you should make enough to live off (whether or not you can live comfortably on that is another story).
    Good and experienced artists tend to get somewhere around one in every 5-6 submissions accepted.
    I've not seen anyone who was not a total amateur get less than roughly one in every 10-12 submissions accepted.

So in theory, if you can release at least 1-2 quality submissions per month it should work as a functional job.
    Like others said though, there's some pretty huge variability in both acceptance and earnings based upon what types of submissions you create and how good you are.
    Most of my own information here is based on individual weapon/armor pieces.
    Full sets for example have a much higher acceptance rate and earning. As do couriers, I think, and wards are probably only a little higher than individual items.
    HUDs and loading screens I think are less.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Most of my own information here is based on individual weapon/armor pieces.
    Full sets for example have a much higher acceptance rate and earning. As do couriers, I think, and wards are probably only a little higher than individual items.
    HUDs and loading screens I think are less.

Where have you been the last twelve months? the playing field has changed and now sets, couriers and wards are as hard to get in as singles before.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    If that's true, then why do so many still make sets and such? That seems impractical.
    Plus, they haven't released a chest containing any singles at all in a crazy long time.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that's true, then why do so many still make sets and such? That seems impractical.
    Plus, they haven't released a chest containing any singles at all in a crazy long time.

Because one of the following reason:

- There are people who do really great stuff that are almost guaranteed to get their stuff in. These people deserve it because they are THAT good!

- People who are doing it to keep improving and at the same time a chance to get something in. Overall they enjoy doing it regardless.

The Dota 2 workshop is never a practical place for you to get a steady income. It is just an art dump, where whenever Valve wishes to take something from it, they do it and obviously they go for whatever sells for THEM foremost. You as a contributor are the least considered. Make 10 good sets and cry about it taking a lifetime will get you nowhere if any of them are the BEST for its hero.

TL;DR version: Unless you are a leading industry artist, don't ever do it for the money. Even the current leading artists do it for enjoyment as they can easily work somewhere else.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10

Very rarely can a single overpass a set in value unless it has been given a legendary or a mythical value. (Unless its a different patch update, which would just make the mythical be worthless).

Why doesn't Valve release singles?

They sell 2 singles for a $1 with a chance to get a bonus. That means, they have to find something really good for the bonus. It's all about incentive, unappealing items = less customers.

Why are sets harder to get in now?

Because there are so many sets in the workshop now.

Do not work for money with the workshop. There is no schedule on when Valve will release items and there is no guarantee that your item(s) will even enter ingame.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Well compared to single items, sets are still way more accepted (wards not so much).

Couriers on their side have the unlucky feature of being a lot less visible in-game, considering that till a couple a patches ago, the only courier shown in-game was the one owned by who bought it. So in general as a cosmetic is a lot less appealing in terms of sales, considering that once you have 3 or 4, you're probably not gonna feel the need to have many more.
    That's also why Valve is slow to accept couriers, cause they are literally saturated with them (imho).

Sets in general are those with the highest chance to get accepted in-game, if you ask me...