Home Dota 2

Pipotchi's Workshop

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I'm pretty new to polycount but I love the set ideas that people are producing and thought I'd throw some concepts out too.

UPDATE:
Current available concepts:

tumblr_n5n10nL4qg1s6wwz7o2_r1_1280.jpg

qlMOLnW.jpg

tumblr_mswoqbSopL1s6wwz7o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mswohifXyV1s6wwz7o1_500.png

tumblr_msbhrvH0zS1s6wwz7o1_500.png

tumblr_msapc8jQSc1s6wwz7o1_500.png

Q7qp81p.jpg?1

IPu3Neg.jpg?1

Ue4oeSc.jpg

DbkqHZ6.jpg

tumblr_n9v2srmxJ11s6wwz7o1_500.jpg

0QykMbC.jpg

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

28C8C2E483B4CB6DA08364D33EF7A3D6412D9D13

Hope you like my stuff! All criticism is much appreciated :)

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I like your concepts a lot. If you're not able to model them all I'd be interested in doing the Slardar set in a month or so when I finish off what I'm currently doing.

As for tips, I'd say take into account the hero's slots more when concepting. On slardar for example, the arm slot is only 450 triangles and a 128x256 texture so fitting two shoulders and bracers on that without access to alpha might stretch the budget a bit, mainly because of those wavy ripped pink cloth/fin pieces.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I like your concepts a lot. If you're not able to model them all I'd be interested in doing the Slardar set in a month or so when I finish off what I'm currently doing.

As for tips, I'd say take into account the hero's slots more when concepting. On slardar for example, the arm slot is only 450 triangles and a 128x256 texture so fitting two shoulders and bracers on that without access to alpha might stretch the budget a bit, mainly because of those wavy ripped pink cloth/fin pieces.

Thank you :) I'd say wait until I have split it into items though, because thats when I will be cutting away unnecessary parts in order to make it more reasonable for the tri limit. Also I am not sure what Im doing with the Slardar set but Ill tell you if I dont want to do it soon (probably once it has been broken into items)
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing around with a lion set.. very iffy on the headgear but I like the feel of the mantle and the pincer.

Also added two lion wands which are flower themed maces ideally. The concept behind them is that they are crafted by demon warmages, thus needing to be tools for channeling precise and delicate spells and hexes, as well as being deadly enough to pulverize someone's skull in close combat.

liono.png
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew out two concepts I had in my sketchbook for a while, feedback appreciated!
    ck_concept.png

nyx_concept.png

edit: + a couple of sand king heads for good measure
    sk_heads2.png

edit 2: aaand tails
    sk_tails.png
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    your concepts looks good!
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drew out the proportions for the ck head. Also I dont think I will be able to make any of these sets any time soon so they are all up for the taking.
    ck_head_proportions.png

finding it really hard to make the front view how i envisaged it.. I think its mainly because my main idea is the horn, and its not visible from the front. Might have to rework this and maybe even make a rough copy in maya so its more accurate.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grabbing the Slardar set to do next month.

As for the CK helmet, I think it needs some more shape on the sides in the front. The sides look way too flat compared to the first iteration and the shadows on the side view don't really make sense with that amount of shape on the front.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, you're right. Its way too flat and shapeless, Im gunna try modelling it to try and get a better idea of how it should look. In the meantime I drew Slardar's head more clearly for the set and also a potential weapon
    slardar_head.png
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome. I sent you some crits and such in a PM.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back after a long time with an antimage set. Will be up for taking once I figure out a weapon, apparently ying yang blades are already taken..

antimage.png

also can someone inform me on the pracicality of including the ninja trousers in the belt or armor? Antimage has no leg slot but I feel it adds to the whole image kinda nicely.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Some really awesome concepts here! I suppose it's technically possible to add the trousers to the belt, but the tri limit is rather small. You would just need to weight the skinning process correctly.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see :) maybe adding it to armor would be easier. Heres a better sketch including weapon:

antimage2.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Silhouette wise, that weapon is really close to Frump's recent weapon, but the rest looks damn fine!
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just found his recent antimage weapon and sadly you are right.. However I really want to keep with a shape which will look semi-circular (and will look like a whole circle when paired with the other blade). I tried to change the inner shape to remove the big triangle which is very similar to Frumps:

antimage_wep.jpg
    Is something like this different enough? I never even saw his design until you brought it up so its very strange that I had such a similar idea.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New doom sword, Greed. Ive not really used photoshop much before so hopefully its not too bad, just wanted to try a new way of drawing.
    I have a few other ideas based on swords with both great power and a huge drawback, so hopefully I can get those concepted soon.
    (taken down because needs extra work..)
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some juggernaut items which Sukotto is modelling
    juggernautset2.png
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool balls. The hilt and handle could be rendered out a bit more maybe though on the sword. Is it just solid black metal?
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like jugger set, can i try work whis it please? add me please to friends in workshop http://steamcommunity.com/id/prostomogy/ i have a lot more works what i didn't add in workshop yet.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Cool balls. The hilt and handle could be rendered out a bit more maybe though on the sword. Is it just solid black metal?

Oh yea I guess I could add some ridges, but it is black metal. It can definitely have some more features though :) good idea.
    btw I will send you those slardar weapons soon.

Also prosomogy this set isnt up for taking because someone is already working on it but Im glad you like it :)
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a concept for a courier called Rookie the Grand Apprentice. He's like a quirky little self-assumed Rubick prodigy, trying to catch the eye of his favourite magus on the battlefield. Except I have a few worries about the design.. #1 is am I making the sillhouette too close to rubick? Bear in mind there will be a size difference too, I want this guy to be really short and stubby.
    #2 is there any chance he might get mistaken for a ward? I know its maybe a stupid thing to say but his eye is pretty similar to the ward eyes.

And the last and biggest worry: I am a fairly weak/not knowledgeable modeller but I am really interested in doing this myself if no-one is willing to collaborate on it since I think I would be able to animate it. I also think Im just about capable of making a lowpoly version of this, but the highpoly would probably take me a long amount of time since I dont own zbrush or other modelling software. I'll try and learn but in the meantime I was going to aim to do the lowpoly and animate it. Is there a way to create a highpoly from a lowpoly? I just hope I can get the concept done well.

rookie.png
    (very rough work.. once I work out whether this is a feasible project I will make it better. also will draw out the flying version, which'll likely be him surfing on one of the scrolls carried)
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Okay. First of all, nice design, it looks really neat and it fits Rubick really well.
    About the colours, I do not believe that it would be mistaken for Rubick, even though it's basically the same colours (mostly because of the size difference.)
    And third, change that eye to a face or something. When I saw it the first thing I thought was that it was a ward. It would really help the design if you did that.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Pipotchi: I would like to make that jugg sword ( If its possible to take it separate from the set ) .

my workshop link is :http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Pipotchi: I would like to make that jugg sword ( If its possible to take it separate from the set ) .

my workshop link is :http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/

Sukotto is already modeling the entire set and is pretty much done with the sculpt for the whole thing last I saw.

EDIT: Also I'm snatching up #3 and #5 of the Sand King tails. I'll be doing #3 this week as a single item and we're planning to flesh out #5 into a set sometime in the future.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good! I was drawing up the blue nyx set when I got carried away and turned it into something completely different. Looks kinda lobster/dragonlike.

nyx.png
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the colors work that well with the base Nyx, especially on the legs. It looks like chunks of lobster armor on top of chunks of his bug carapace which is weird. I think if the leg pieces and the back piece covered more of the tan parts it'd look a lot better to me.
  • Sean_R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pipotchi,
    I say your post up above about not being able to get the front view of the helmet "right". I find working with a little bit of sculpey on my desk helps figure out spacial issues quickly. Of course sketch up can do this too but Sculpey is quicker (for fleshing out an already sketched idea), plus working in the real world is refreshing sometimes!
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdly I never even considered using actual sculpting in real life.. I will have to try it when I can afford some clay :) thanks for the advice! Also I redid the nyx colours to make them a lot less garish, also reworked the armor so the spikes lead directly into the body at parts. Kinda made me realise how strange nyx's original colours actually are.. mouldy green/brown and navy blues, with black orangey red and yellow highlights for armor.

nyx2.png
  • Sean_R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Nyx! Yeah you'd be surprised how a hard to figure out geometry problem can be fixed in a second with some clay. Great stuff, keep it up.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid rookies head to make it less wardlike and more wasplike, like Rubick hopefully still different enough?

rookie2_copy.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The most important thing I think with 'mini heroes' as couriers is that they dont read as a hero or creep ingame. Otherwise it might get rejected purely for gameplay clarity reasons.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mm if it comes across as a mini hero then its still not there yet then. It needs to look completely different as you said, although I really want it to be identifiable as Rubick's little helper. It would be cool to have a courier for a support hero since they are the one buying it. Ill maybe try some less humanoid sillhouettes, perhaps give him 6 limbs and extend into the wasp shape that Im leaning towards.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I like the courier but I'd agree with Spudnik on moving away from the 'mini hero' design. Take a look at Juggernaut's couriers, since they take his design elements and use them on suitable animals like the war dog and ox.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I like the courier but I'd agree with Spudnik on moving away from the 'mini hero' design. Take a look at Juggernaut's couriers, since they take his design elements and use them on suitable animals like the war dog and ox.

Now that you mention animals, the rubick looks a little like a mini rubick bird!
  • w@lker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your art concept , I want to work with you.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show me some of your stuff if you want to work with me?
    also a bird is possibly another way i could adapt the rubick courier, good idea :)
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Im having a really annoying problem with making an item for Lion. I still dont really know much about 3d so I'm not so sure what I'm doing wrong.

This is my item in maya so far:
    so_far.png

And when I import it into dota 2, it does this:
    lion_issue.png
    Part of the weapon gets pulled to somewhere near his feet and stays there while the rest of the weapon swings around normally. I assume I've done something drastically wrong with attaching the weapon to the joint but I don't know what.

Im using Maya, I selected the weapon as an object as well as the joint "Weapon4_0" and chose these options for Smooth Bind:
    smoothbind.png

any help would be much appreciated.

edit: i just found a solution by changing the smooth bind settings so the weapon is attached not to the joint hierarchy but to the selected joint only. I've been confused about the problem for ages and find the solution 1 hour after I ask for help about it. >_<' may as well not waste this post, heres what i've got so far (no masks, just coloring at the moment)
    lionwep.png
    first time doing mudbox so i'm doing things in a weird order i think :p
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Change it from joint hierarchy to selected joint. You might also want to change max influences to 3 as this is the maximum Dota 2 supports.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed you already fixed it!
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lionwep2.png
    lionwep4.png

its going ok so far I think. But I am still having a few issues trying to sort out making a normal map as well as making the .tgas for the masks in photoshop elements, where there isnt a channel option. Anyone not use photoshop for their masks who can give me a good alternative?
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This idea popped into my head and I had to draw it up before I lost it. Its evening gown style death prophet, Ill do more on it but I want to focus on my lion item for now.
    I think I can bypass the channel issue by having 3 layers (rgb) and making them all Add blends, or whatever the photoshop equivalent is. Hopefully that works!

death_p.png
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I tried hehe.. I'm kinda ok with this since its my first time making a dota 2 item. Making this item definitely made me aware of how little I know about modelling but I think I can make something a lot better for my second attempt. Id love some criticism so I know how to improve next time.

lionweapon.png

edit: excuse my ultra crap render settings for in-game. At least you get to see what the item looks like at bare minimum quality

edit2: nvm, took some higher quality pics

highq.png
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My two collaborations are up on the workshop now:

Seismic Rattler
    sand_king_final_copy.jpg

Armaments of Reckoning
    jugg_long_sword_copy.jpg

Hopefully you guys like them. Also I am making a pugna concept based off flames. I figured the hero was one of the most unloved in the workshop right now so if we make a cool set for him it has a decent chance of getting in-game. This is up for collaboration (death prophet set isnt because I want to try that one myself)
    pugna_set.jpg
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will probably be my last idea for a while. I had some inspiration for Warlock after seeing another cool Warlock concept-

Q7qp81p.jpg?1

These two items are up for collaboration separately or together. I could make them into a set but if anyone wants to just do one or the other then thats fine too.

The overall theme is that Warlock (an avid explorer) is searching for a mythical beast known as a Dunewraith in the desert. The grub is bait, and the torch is a staff carved from the dead trees you can often see in deserts. I have a golem too (the dunewraith) but I imagine animating and modelling a golem is a lot of hard work.

Also I am not sure if it comes across properly but the branches on the staff twist around the flame in a spiral. Its hard for me to draw
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to go back and attempt my ck head I posted before:
    k4uiOad.png?1

This is the highpoly, I think it went well apart from the clipping on the top of the horn. I think this happened by me overlapping through the material because the horn is so thin, but I can go back and edit the normal maps to get rid of this effect. If anyone has any advice on how to make the model a bit better it will be much appreciated!
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, Im having a really strange issue with mudbox. I have a pl lance here and I have mirroring set to localX. Everything works mirrored fine, apart from the grab tool. If anyone knows why the grab tool is not mirroring properly I would love to find out :S

UeQoqm3.png?1
    also has some uv mapping problems + unfinished textures but I will finish those once I work out this sculpting problem.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My pl spear nears completion.. I just need to redo these textures so that they fit the texture size and outline some of the faint details and Im done. Ck helm is also very close to done!
    YivknoG.png?1

In the meantime I have a ton of new single item ideas. I was gunna post them all at the same time when they were all drawn up but ehh couldn't wait, and will be busy moving house over the next few days. Hope you like!
    IPu3Neg.jpg?1
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mux7h4fLwA1s6wwz7o1_1280.jpg
    I improved my first flame Pugna set concept, should I add a ward and weapon?

Also tried modelling Razor head B.. not so sure. I think my modelling skills are improving(????) but I still miss important parts of the design sometimes which Id have to go back and edit if I wanted to take this further
    fSOuKBs.png?1
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi : I would be interested in the Pugna concept . Can you make a staff and ward for it allso?

-waiting reply.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    That pugna concept is awesome, though I personally prefer the first collar to the one in the second image.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi : I see you are inactive on steam since the 30th , I took the liberty to block out the set ,and I'm gonna stop here until further notice

2w4bqqd.jpg

cheers