Art Dumps + Art Dev Articles

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Just in case you don't..
  1. Visit the news section of Polycount
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Follow us on Facebook
...I thought I'd post here the link to our latest article, the Environment Art of Halo 4 as written by 343 Industries exclusively for Polycount. Besides sexy art dump images there is a huge amount of information found in this article as written by the developers themselves. I personally find this type of information to be priceless and want to make sure everyone gets their eyeballs on it.

Also, if you're so inclined, you're welcome to post comments/feedback on such articles and what you think of them Vs. standard "art dumps" (e.g. Borderlands 2). Maybe you prefer one over the other? Maybe you don't care at all and just want to see more art? Either way, this would be the thread to discuss such topics.

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Love the write up and all the information shared by the 343 team..but...

I want more high rez/break down images from them like the Boarderlands 2 art dump. Master Chief and the UI get in the way of getting some great shots to break down and see how other artists constructed there envios.

I know there are a few high poly shots and 1 wireframe break down but with so many artists contributing to that article I would love to see more work as I'm sure like most, I love the eye candy :)

The article is great and the information shared by the 343 guys is very much appreciated, its just I feel like more of there fantastic art work could be shared beyond the 2 or 3 shots from each artist as in the article. Also, why dose it have to be mutually exclusive? Why not have both article/pure art dump?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    Also, why dose it have to be mutually exclusive? Why not have both article/pure art dump?

Agreed!
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    I think that both are valuable. One provides a lot of information but lacks content, the other lacks information but provides content. Maybe in the future a representative from a particular team/project can approach Polycount if they are interested in doing an in depth article like the one 343 has provided us. It would give Adam or someone else some time to think about questions they'd like developers to address regarding workflow, art direction, poly budgets, time management, etc. Then a post could be done providing a good amount of information as well as a ton of content to look at.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    The article was awesome. Though hopefully we get more tech breakdowns :D I for one was wondering about the specular term taken from the baked spherical harmonics data.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Oh thanks for posting that. I would have missed it otherwise. I never check those 3 places you mentioned.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have an excellent list of art dumps here on the wiki, mostly added by d1ver:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceGameArt

I absolutely love it when devs talk about their process, along with behind-the-scenes shots (wires, construction shots, lighting setups, plan views, etc.). I stopped subscribing to Cinefex because they kept showing less and less of this in each issue, all the digital progress shots were getting hidden from view.

I'm hoping we can see more articles like the Halo 4 one in the future. Thanks to you Adam and the 343 team for sharing this with us!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows of anything from the witcher? I've been playing Witcher2 this weekend, and I'm really amazed by what they have done with it. I'd love to see anything, especially character-related stuff.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know of anything official but there's a bunch of character work on MarcinB's cghub page
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that's great. The material definition on the cloth and leather pieces is awesome. And the chainmail... I'm not sure how that was done. It seems to flow with the underlying cloth.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's pretty hard to tell given the lack of close-ups, but i would guess the chainmail is a lot of duplicating along curves and then maybe some light use of the zProject brush in photoshop.