Home Technical Talk

Zbrush unable to load model and is out of disk space

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Evil raz polycounter lvl 10
Everytime I load my model it gives me this error

79910903.jpg

I have tried to increase memory performance in zbrush but didn't work. I also tried to change the virtual memory to another space, still didn't work.
I have no idea what is wrong.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to know this as well. This cost me a model a few months back. Couldn't figure out how to get it loaded again and had to go to back up to get a working copy.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    32 bit Windows? Might be an issue with large memory mapped files. (this cannot be corrected with more RAM.) How large is the file?
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    32 bit Windows? Might be an issue with large memory mapped files. (this cannot be corrected with more RAM.) How large is the file?

It's actually 64-bit and the file size is 316 MB.

I have another file that is around 400mb and can easily load.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    don't save files bigger than 4gig space, simple as that. if you hit that barrier, split your tool :/

:edit: wow that file size is too small to be an issue
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It could be that you have alot going in your file, so ZB is having a hard-time loading it properly (EI: a dozen layers, with colors maybe, saved masks, etc?)

Please note that sometimes these stuff, if they occupy the same vertices won't make your file bigger, BUT they will require a large memory pool to work and be loaded properly.

I suggest tinkering with ZB settings, such as increasing your load-page, etc in the Memory panel. Also, in the latest versions of ZB, you can tell it how to 'load' the files (how many chunks per how many MB's) so fiddle with that, maybe it's loading sensitive data and cutting it wrongly in loading the chunks.
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Also, in the latest versions of ZB, you can tell it how to 'load' the files(how many chunks per how many MB's) so fiddle with that, maybe it's loading sensitive data and cutting it wrongly in loading the chunks.

Do you mean loading sub-tools separately? How would I be able to do that?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Is one of your HDD's or partitions full? if so, create some space.
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »
    Is one of your HDD's or partitions full? if so, create some space.

I don't think so. It seems a lot of space to me.

90743496.jpg
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still haven't fixed the problem yet.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Shot in the dark, but could it be a permissions error, somehow? Maybe try running it as an admin.
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Shot in the dark, but could it be a permissions error, somehow? Maybe try running it as an admin.

Tried that but it didn't work either. Thanks though.
  • dreatern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreatern polycounter lvl 6
    try turn off the Undo History and turn on the "skip loading" there.
    The undo history makes your file to become a MAMMOTH and can give problems to loading a tool.

See the image below
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreatern wrote: »
    try turn off the Undo History and turn on the "skip loading" there.
    The undo history makes your file to become a MAMMOTH and can give problems to loading a tool.

See the image below

Just tried that with zbrush as administrator and changing the memory to full with Virtual memory to /c/ drive.

Same error.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Just came across this same error. Anyone able to figure this out yet?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Like others have said, split your tool, preferably make each part separate from another entirely so that you don't loose your work and make a ton of rendition backs you save throughout the process so you can at least return to a previous state.

I always try to limit my undo's to 100 then delete, if they go to high Zbrush will crash, but luckily the autoback up works it's been a life saver to say the least.

I always run zbrush as admin, I always create a new scene after the startup load and I can work on 1GB files with no problem, though I rather not wait till things get that bad.

Also don't save with the undo history, delete all of it before saving.

How to load separate subtools:
    1. If you've saved out your bases or parts as either obj or .ztl you can load each one at a time but once you load up a file click one of the standard object at the save/load export panel so a cylinder object or the star anything other than your working files.

2. After you've loaded each up they should be ready to be appended to each other all you do is select one of the objects and locate the append option in the subtool panel and they will be loaded into your scene, do this for the remaining pieces but when doing this it will increase your saved file eventually with each subdivide on each tool/part, creating this problem your having now, most likely.

I only do this to render images.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    (Subtool Master's Multi Append would save you a good chunk of time if you want to import multiple OBJs at once and have them instantly appended into a single tool)
  • goose314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goose314 polycounter lvl 4
    anyone figure this out? I have a 40mb file thats only 2mil polys/points spread out across 10 subtools, and its giving me this error. I don't have my subtools saved out seperately, so if I can't get Zbrush to open my file, I have no way of rescuing any of my work :-( I've already tried 6 different computers at our computer lab, all with different memory capabilities and configurations, no luck with any of them. I've never had this issue before, even with very large files/heavy ztools.
  • Hellfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having the same error. I was building a robot that involved a lot of extractions and insert meshes. My file was only around 31 MBs, yet I had previously worked files with models above 700 MB without encountering this problem.

Did anyone else get an error right beofre this happened that said something like "zBrush could not offline the online memory because (insert technical jargon)" Then it saved out two files, one, the fantastically usless .zzz file and another file that appears to have been saved properly yet I get the same error every one is getting when trying to open it.

Sidenote: As some were saying verticies occupying the same spacae can cause this error because it requires greater memory, so when doing extractions would it be best to remove the inner wall of the extractions? I feel like zBrush doesn't like to alsways play nice with shaped with holes in them.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    it maybe that the file just got corrupted and is throwing out randowm error messages. I guess you have already tried to load the autobackup?
  • Hellfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked the bakups, but I guess I don't have it set up right. Zbrush saved one random panel from my robot's foot that was one of the first things I made and nothing else.

Any tips on setting zBrush back up? This isn't the first time I lost a few hours of work. Or even a little mod so when you quick save it just creates alternate files?
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    anyone figured out how to fix this? i have same exact problem, except file is like 50mb.
  • Giankharlo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giankharlo polycounter lvl 5
    same problem here , anyone has figured something ..???
  • CGloko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same error, using R4, I have lost a whole day work... If it helps my file is just 151 mb and I am not using dynamesh any any subtool is has higher polycount than 1 million.

Edit: I have solved it by updating Zbrush to the R5 version and trying to open again the same file. It gave me three different errors while loading the file but in the end I could recover the file.

I hope it helps.
  • Nulltorque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nulltorque polycounter lvl 3
    Well, I tried a few things when I got this error message on attempting to launch zBrush 4R6 for the first time on my Mac running OSX Lion 10.8.4 "File Write Error Sorry, the disk space is critically low. Please clear more disk space (by emptying the trash, deleting files, etc.) and then click OK to resume."

After scouring the internet forums nothing worked. While troubleshooting this I did find reference to the file "ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt". When I went to go look for it, I noticed I had dumped it in the trash from following other online instructions on how to completely uninstall zbrush. I had dumped it in the trash with the rest of the "ZBrushData" file folder. I retrieved the folder from the trash and placed it back in the Users/Shared folder, and suddenly the program was running smoothly again.

I figured I could at least show my solution, just in case this helps others out. I can't say if you mistakenly deleted your data folders like I did, or one of the files in there has become corrupted, but if it does not work for you directly, it may give you clue to further your investigation toward a solution that works for you.

I would like to note that the data folder did NOT reinstall itself when I uninstalled and reinstalled zBrush from scratch. All I had in the Users/shared folder that was related to the program was a folder called "Pixologic". That is NOT the data folder, "ZBrushData" is.

Good Luck!
  • AntohaRDNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the same issue on Mac: File Write Error

The answer for me:
    1 Open file: /Users/Shared/ZBrushData/ZBrushScratchDiskPath.TXT
    2 Check the path to cache folder in ZBrushScratchDiskPath.TXT. Path must be correct. Folder must be available.
  • cgsignal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those of you facing this bug, my workaround was to export the file to fbx and re-import it back to zbrush
    Hope it helps.

• rondinellimorais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there! I had the same problem:
    "FILE WRITE ERRORSorry, the disk space is critically low. Please clear more disk space (by emptying the trash, deleting files, etc.) and then click OK to resume. "
    And I resolved as Nulltorque said.
    Goto / Users / Shared and create a "ZBrushData" folder.Launch Zbrush app B) 
    Nulltorque, thank you very much!