Home General Discussion

How many of you dev.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Hey Honest question.

I know alot of you guys fancy yourself devs. But lets face it, making art isn't deving a game, and writing a story or writing up game play concepts with no exciton isnt either. And purely programming (while closer) is not.

My question to you guys is simple aside from the 1 or 2 of you I know personally.

How many of you guys have games running around and ready for release or are playable or at early alpha points?

What are some of your struggles you face. What are your goals? Is it for learning, is it to build for fun? Is it for profit? Is it for a future?

Just curious what you guys (or gals) have to say on this.

To NOT be full of shit. My current game I am hoping to aim for a August Release.

I have busted my hump on this with my business partners and despite it being a simple mobile game , it has been a big uphill challenge.

www.templetapgame.com

Just curious of other stories is all.

Also of success stories etc if there at all any on here!

Personally for me , my goal is to make my small game company, I recently started my 1st steps this year with my business partners and want to develop my own unique games I have had in my head for my entire life. An end goal is to become sort of like a Double fine studio, I want all my games to be unique and fun and no 2 games the same.

Its tough, mainly me and my 2 business partners are offering our services as freelancers while deving the game to pay the bills. And its not quite easy, but at the same time its what fuels us to move forward.

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Remi, I Dev.... I devote my life to devotion. :P

So, yes, I feel your concerns, I do also have my game while I also have my fulltime job. Its rough, but it's something I want to achieve. People say I'm crazy and they can't do it, but I don't know man, I'm young enough (31yo), and I think I can still do a lot.

My game: www.thinkhugegames.com

Epic Dragons takes me around 3-4hs per day, and around 6hs on weekends.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I used to dev back in around 2002, but then got in to the games industry. I still have a working prototype game that I made then. mainly my side was focusing in the artwork/animation and did initially do the coding.
    Then I got a great programming guy on board and it looked ok
    Still, it's a long way from that to a full release game that is actually worth playing.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    I play around with GameMaker some and make some simple prototypes.

Struggles I face is... I have to much shit I want to make, resulting in me not being able to focus. I constantly juggle between art(not necessarily for a game I am working on), gamemaker, freelance stuff.
    Right now it's mainly for fun/learning, but I intend to make a profit with it some day.
    As I am still struggling finding a fulltime (game) art related job.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    already have a shitty game I made myself on the app store im pseudo proud to say :P

Developing is hard, but when you get the itch what can you do just got to bash it out, might try my hand at a bigger more ambitious game in a month or two depends on a lot of things.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hands up.

made an iphone game by myself, currently working on a small party game with a friend, and starting work on a few year long project which i plan to put in the time for the long haul.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm just curious, but how is being an artist or programmer not being a developer? You can have a game without an artist but you can't have a game without a programmer, but the fact is, if you want to make anything that comes close to meeting modern game standards, then good luck doing it without dedicated artists.

As for programmers not being developers, how does that one work?

Personally, I've been working on a fan-game which is essentially a remake of a popular classic adventure game with a small team of 4 other people while also trying to finish a degree for the last two years. I'm not sure if that would qualify as "developing" a game but I primarily do programming and occasionally art which I'm trying to improve at.

The hardest part of this journey has definitely been related to people. Since our game is non-profit, we have all had to make it a secondary goal as paying bills comes first. Additionally, we work together using the internet since we are all scattered across the world, and that leads to a lot of timing problems. When I'm working on something, everybody else is usually busy with work or school, and when I'm sleeping, other people are getting some assets done or something of the sort.

It has definitely caused the project to take longer than it should have, but we're still progressing and I hope to finish it soon, along with providing the full source to everybody interested in the project to continue maintaining the game after release, if they desire.

People in general can cause a lot of different problems though. Sometimes I'll contract somebody to do something like make a particular texture set to save me time, they'll tell me that it'll take a few weeks and in reality, they won't get back to me with a finished result for several months. Our "structure" hasn't been very straightforward either. In a professional setting, I think teams have a designer or "idea guy" come up with most of the gameplay mechanics, but in our case, development is very open. If anybody thinks of something that could improve the project, we talk it over and think about how to go about implementing the idea.

There's also the problem of motivation. I've been very motivated to work for the last year and I have done more than I originally imagined this year, but every now and then I have a deep feeling of "fuck this I want to quit!" which most likely comes from the fact that I've been working on something I care a lot about that may not see the light of day (since it is based on somebody else's IP, after all). At the same time, I won't get a paycheck at the end of the development cycle, and even when I'm done, I won't be employable since I have focused on learning a large variety of tasks rather than focusing on mastering a few amount of tasks.

Still, making a game is an awesome experience. I envy the people who get to do it professionally. I'd suggest giving it a shot to anybody who only knows a limited amount of skills (such as only knowing how to make art, or only knowing how to program) because you learn a lot and the feeling of overcoming the many challenges you'll face is always great.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Do you even dev, bro?
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    This makes absolutely no sense. So im not a dev because I make art? And you consider yourself one, and want to have a studio in the end..which then in turn is full of non-devs I guess? :P
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Hey , we got your point but you really put it a tad harsh.

Normally programmers discourage artists from programming and artist laugh their a..es of to programmers' understanding of "visuals". The only ones that posses both skill sets are usually ones that comes out of the game dev. environments who are indie or hobbiests and older industry vets that had time to devlop to other skill set.

I am trying to develop my own RTS currently and it is not easy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    TeriyakiStyle - yeah nearly every time I used to ask programmers to work with me on a project they would end up trying to use me as hired help for 'their' project, but without actually paying me.
    no one really wants to give away that level of control, so for me at least I would still at some point like to learn some coding so i can make a little game of my own.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Ruz wrote: »
    TeriyakiStyle - yeah nearly every time I used to ask programmers to work with me on a project they would end up trying to use me as hired help for 'their' project, but without actually paying me.
    no one really wants to give away that level of control, so for me at least I would still at some point like to learn some coding so i can make a little game of my own.
    I can imagine that this is actually quite common. I don't know anybody interested in game development outside of the internet but many of the programmers I meet at school, both good and bad, are ego-stroking jerks.

Programming a small simple game really isn't that difficult, you just have to be willing to learn, much like your first time learning how to do something in 3D for example. My sister is part of a club/organization that teaches middle school girls about programming in order to get them more interested in technology related fields and they just finished making some very simple "collect the items on the screen to win" type of games. If you start small you can apply that knowledge to larger projects too!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    To be fair though NegevPro, i did work with one guy who was a gem, did loads of good coding for me/us and we did a nice little demo.
    I did make a start on learning to code, but it takes a lot of effort to not only learn the basics, but to apply that knowledge creatively to make something useful.
    maybe I will have another go at some point
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    The question is who is actively making a game.

Seforin just said that if you aren't making assets for an actual project then you aren't developing a game and being a developer... which is intrinsically true.

Seriously? People are taking offense to this?
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Muzz wrote: »
    The question is who is actively making a game.

Seforin just said that if you aren't making assets for an actual project then you aren't developing a game and being a developer... which is intrinsically true.

Seriously? People are taking offense to this?

"I know alot of you guys fancy yourself devs. But lets face it, making art isn't deving a game, and writing a story or writing up game play concepts with no exciton isnt either. And purely programming (while closer) is not."

I think it may be the way he's putting it that may offend people.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I thought it was to the point,

You guys are reading to far into it.

If all you have is art in a game engine doing nothing, that's not a game that's art.

If all you have is cubes moving around but nothing designed out. That's a prototype (and a bit closer, but still not a game)

If you have something with a little of everything and something I can pick up, play, and say "hey this isnt bad, or this needs work"

That's a game.

so AGAIN my original question was simple.

Who here has games they made. What are your struggles and such.

I say making purely art for a game is not a game simply because I can make cool art all day long and have people look at it. But in the end of the day if I try to release that , it wont sell, it wont get on steam, and im lucky if it gets attention.

Its why im saying making art for your game is cool. I get that.In example that guy on here, bannana steam punk guy (marshal bannana?)

That dude has been a 1 man train making a game, and art. But he focused on the art day one and only more recently (2 years down the road I think?) has made his game actually functional and such.

Thats poor execution was what I was trying to imply earlier saying "making just art, or just code isnt deving"

Seriously chillax guys, the question was straight forward. And if not I am making it clear now.

If you guys are gonna get upset I'll just delete the original thread messages in this posts. The responses starting a flame war was not the point of me even asking.

So again the struggles and journey etc. That was what I was curious about. And who here has done it

Hugo congrats on your release!

A bit of insight on my end. I this last year started my own company with my 2 business partners. 2 of us work full time as freelancers to keep our company going. We work remotely for now to pay our bills, and our goal is by next year is to open a small office here.

We have our 2nd game in a prototype phaze to be showcased at a big local event here in orlando called orlando nerd fest that we will announce our new game.

Our goal is to have a complete version of our current game temple tap out for release and purchase by the even, along with our new game.

This last year we have had a lot of challenges we have been faced with. Our biggest being how to stay afloat while deving our own games and not working for others. 2 of us (myself and my other business partner) are doing full time freelance and consulting for various projects and games. We use that extra money to put back into our company to help us for the following year and our eventual move into an office. And while we have down time (or the weekends) we work on temple tap , since its near a completed state for release.

The struggles of having people who honestly are willing to put so much risk with you has been the biggest issue Ive faced more so then survival. The money can be found qite easily if you sell yourself the right way.

Did you have your game become self released hugo? Or did you strike a deal with a small publisher of some sort? Muzz and any others who have made games that are out, same sort of questions imply. If you self released it, how successful was that for you?

Is it earning a decent number of downloads/purchases? Or is it not paying the bills? Or is it just a flagship title for you and its about getting something out vs the numbers to you? (we fall into the later as we are trying to get a name and show our quality bar and gameplay to be something fun.)

Our website has VERY old game play videos on it, so I need to redevelop the site upcoming for it to showcase what we have.

Anywho, hopefully everyone will not get upset. And Tor you flex out art and work for a big daddy studio, that's not what im asking here and you know it! :p
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    "Who here has independent games they made. What are your struggles?"

That should've been your topic of discussion and your thread title. Stop convoluting the idea and distracting from the main point of what the thread should be.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The term you're looking for is "full stack developer". Commonly used in web development, it describes someone who can fill every role on complex projects, often including graphics. Unfortunately, in searching for the term, you reversed it with its supercategory "developer" and then projected your misconception onto everyone else in the most hilarious way possible. XD

It's like calling a crain operator a fraud because they don't have a license to work underwater, and then asking them to talk shop. I'm not saying you did it on purpose, but it is pretty funny.

Anyway, I've released a few Flash games over the years, usually as parts of larger ad campaigns. One pitfall I've found is that you tend to calculate the tasks you're not native to like the ones you are. An artist might think, "Oh, I'll just whip up this punch animation and code in some damage numbers for it.", or a programmer might think, "I'll implement the leaderboards and throw a pretty font on it." The first part's easy, but the second takes 3X as long as you thought it would.

The best solution I've found is to list everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Every asset you need, every class, absolutely everything. Then go through the list and figure out what you KNOW you're skilled in and what you're rusty with. (The rusty tasks will take at least twice as long.) When you're done with that, take your total predicted dev time and double that. That's how long it will take to get through the list.

When you're working with other people, be clear and specific. Show them the parts of the list they're working on and be specific about what each item needs. If they're making a leaderboard, what needs to be on it? (Scores, initials, gamertags?) The same goes for graphics.

A good list is your best friend on complex projects like this.

I wont get into horror stories, but in my experience they all come back to poor communication amongst team members.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I started a project, realized I couldn't draw any concept so I was stuck from the initial idea, so now it is just stuck in my head, but I do have a dream of a game where you are food and you take down the man.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    I started a project, realized I couldn't draw any concept so I was stuck from the initial idea, so now it is just stuck in my head, but I do have a dream of a game where you are food and you take down the man.

I too have a dream game involving food.
  • RyanB
    Haven't made a full game, but made a little app to show some particle effects working on mobile. I also wanted to test drive the submission process for Android and iPhone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryanjamesblanchard.particlepreviewera

Made it with Unity, NGUI, and Playmaker in about a week. Super easy.

I have a couple prototypes on hold. I'm working a lot of overtime and so they are on the backburner.