Home Technical Talk

How do you keep your system organised?

I've gone through several systems for keeping files organised and my pc happy, but none have been as satisfying. I'm curious as to how you keep things clean, I mean pc/laptop and project wise.

What I'm thinking of, and kind of have now:
Making a windows partition with programs and make an image, if it gets screwed I will replace it with the image
And a seperate parition with files I work on in projects, from varying categies
I have almost the same setup on my laptop, and I want to keep the same it up to date. I reckon some kind of synchronisation software and a cross-over cable would work. Keeping files in a remote place seems like a valid option too.

Anyone familiar with such a setup, synch software recommendations, remote services, tips on preventing the work partition from getting bloated with old work?

Replies

• Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I have 2 partitions for main HD, all the software on c:. d: drive has all project files, references, 2D, games, etc.

I also made a ghost (image file) of the primary partition so in case of a crash i dont have to re-install anything.

f: drive is 500 GB of storage. When this gets full, i'll move old data to external USB drive. In last resort there's DVD burning.
  • Mark Dygert
    ^ Just like above ^
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Organized? What's that? I just remember "Okay, I got that project under 'G:\ZNewstuff\Flayertype\", and that one under "E:\ffstuff\gameart\testfig026\" and such. laugh.gif
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    organisation is for something for simple minds and databases^^
    only releasefiles, thast i give to others are sorted/organized^^
  • Penzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    If you want to sync a partition from your laptop to a matching partition on your desktop, the best program I've heard of is called FreeCommander. I've never used it myself, but I have several friends that swear by it.

http://www.freecommander.com/index.htm
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever you do, don't forget your data backups.

Thankfully I've not been burned, but I've had one harddisk die (it was backed up nightly to an external USB). Course an external won't prevent loss of data from a fire or burglars, but it'll catch most of your common issues.

These days I do so little external artwork that keeping a work/home sync boils down to a pen drive. I find that online storage is still too slow compared to even a USB drive. However, for all my tech docs and email I've switched to Google - a central repository for anything text based, synced everywhere.
  • Pedro Amorim
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have 2 partitions for main HD, all the software on c:. d: drive has all project files, references, 2D, games, etc.

I also made a ghost (image file) of the primary partition so in case of a crash i dont have to re-install anything.

f: drive is 500 GB of storage. When this gets full, i'll move old data to external USB drive. In last resort there's DVD burning.

[/ QUOTE ]

after you make the image of the partition C if you ever want to reformart your windows and install with that partition how do you do it?
    how do you load the image to the disk?
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I should admit, if I ever actually get a job in the industry, I'll use whatever method Da Boss assigns for organization. laugh.gif
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i put all my projects (including failed attempts at games, models and even music) into a folder called Projects

I keep my OS on small partitions of their own. less than 10gb for each

I put reference in a "figure" folder, with subcategories i.e. anime_female_resin, naked_male_african, loomises_fking_figure_drawin_for_all_its_fkin_worth_books, cats, etc.
  • rybeck
    Used to be dependant on Ghost, but not anymore after one major crash (Yikke~ )
    Don't have laptop atm, but I used to leave laptop HDD pretty much empty since it won't be never replace my workstation (I know there are humongous notebook that fast as hell, but still I won't fill its HDD) If you can afford external HDD for laptop, use it to transfer files that you absolutely need. For worksatation, I keep several partitions as leilei's method (having smaller partition for categorized files), and separated reference folder, and work folder (both current and past). Also have an external HDD for primary backup. Once in while, let's say every month or so, take some time over weekend to backup all references and files whatnot into portable media (4.7 GB DVD-ROM is usual choice) which will be kept in safe place as 2nd backup.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Personal work projects go into a Projects folder on my external drive. Something like:

J: Backups >> OldWorkFoldersHere
    ...Music >> MyMusicaFoldersHere
    ...Projects >> Polycount >> Challenge36, etc
    ...Reference >> Artists >> ArtistNameHere
    ...Textures >> TextureFoldersHere

Each half of the drive gets backed up every week on separate 500GB drives. Every three months, I'll create a hard copy on DVD'. I can't wait for cheap HD-DVD backup drives. My god that'll be nice smile.gif
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    after you make the image of the partition C if you ever want to reformart your windows and install with that partition how do you do it?
    how do you load the image to the disk?

[/ QUOTE ]

To restore, i use a bootable version of XP called PatWindows, a typical system bootdisk should work too. Formatting isnt necessary it'll overwrite the partition.
  • hyrumark
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    3 Hard drives in my system.

#1. Drive with OS and programs
    #2. Drive that all my work goes on
    #3. External drive that backs up drive #2 every night at 4AM, or whenever I want. Also, if I leave the house on vacation or for long periods of time, I'll move this drive to some place OTHER than my house.

I use Acronis TrueImage to back up drive #1. I use Syncback SE for all other backups, I also have it set to automatically back up my most recent project files to an FTP server, for that extra piece of mind of an offsite backup. Syncback is the best backup/syncronisation program out there.

Finally, I'll archive older stuff to DVD from time to time. And of course I use a beefy uninterruptable power supply in case of bad weather/power outages.
  • StJoris
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Ironically after preparing for a format to make a "clean and perfect image", the soundcard starting hurling things at me. It wouldn't be detected anymore, even after a format, some bios twinking and booting it in and out of the slot, somehow fixed it.

That Syncback thing looks pretty good, and I'll try that acronis TrueIMage.
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I make custom icons for some of my folders, so i know thats the one I am currently working on. ie a big red star or something. I am simple man.0

I also make a custom default project folder contain subfolders like zbrush, max,reference textures etc then copy sand paste this when I start a new project, renaming it to whatever.