Home Technical Talk

Which Type of Hair is Better, Sculpted or Planes?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
chrisjngs polycounter lvl 2
This question might have an obvious answer but. I am currently working on the character for the monthly challenge and have a question about hair. Specifically which type if better, sculpted or planes? I have been looking around and have seen AAA games use both types. For example, Mass Effect 3 uses both sculpted hair and poly plane hair.

Illusive_man_reaper.jpg
Jessica_Chobot.jpg

The same goes for the Last of Us.
166e052e271fe8adf2e2f07bac8e0dc0.jpg
original.jpg

So my question to everyone is this. Is there a specific reason, other than personal preference, to use one type of hair over the other?

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Planes only if you have something better than Alpha Test, and have the polycount to spare for it.

TressFX Trumps all.

^__^
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Planes only if you have something better than Alpha Test, and have the polycount to spare for it.

TressFX Trumps all.

^__^
    Agreed, Planes is the way to go if you have polys to spare. TressFX is a promising tech, but it's just not there yet.
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    I find planes more time consuming , but can look much more realistic
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    TressFX is a promising tech, but it's just not there yet.

Disagree.

We'll have some cool stuff to show at GDC:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Deus-Ex-Universe-Includes-AMD-TressFX-3-0-Hair-Solution-Will-Detail-It-at-GDC-2015-in-March-472661.shtml

/shameless plug
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think it probably depends on the hairstyle. And don't rule out the two methods used in combination with one another.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I should point out that TressFX is just a way for game engines to render splines. It just takes each spline, and renders a chain of forward facing polygons (similar to billboards). You don't have to contend with intersection of planes.

How 'Good' it can look, is largely dependant on the rendering tech, and the artist using it. But the tech itself is waaay superior to planes in pretty much every conceivable way.

hair07iudn.jpg

And when you make hair cards, you usually use an underlying 'helmet' for volume.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Planes, but alpha textures - masks, etc. Take a huge amount of time to process. Think about the lighting also. Sculpted is just that, how detailed can you go with it? Not much, since lots of game 'heroes' ended up being grade II, shaved headed, generic impostors.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I noticed that TressFX is AMD, am I able to use it with 2 GeForce GTX 780 TI's? Thank you.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    from what i know it is not a AMD exclusive tech and they also patched it to be faster on nvidia cards compared to the first release.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    TressFX for Tomb Raider was patched to work on Nvidia GPUs, maybe that will happen again with TressFX 3.
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Do you guys have any tips or tricks for making good hair with planes? A friend and I tried using the method in Ryan Kingslien's book on character art, (basically manipulating and copying planes around a reference sculpt in ZBrush) and what we found is that it was very hard to get a density of planes to create convincing hair. We started looking at Maya plugins that paint objects along geometry normals, but didn't get that far.
    Does everyone tend to use some sort of plugin or package, or are there some standard techniques?
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    @Urzaz From my own experience, brute force is the best way to make convincing hair, there is no shortcut. Create a few planes and place them one by one on the head, it just takes time. It can be a good idea to create an underlying "helmet" to give a basic volume first.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Few of my tips:

- Start from the back of the head and work your way up towards the crown. Then sides to the part line, then front/top to the crown.
    - Use White/Blonde hair textures, for working (dark will hide too many mistakes).
    - Do not let the hair cards intersect.
    - Rather than paint curvature in your texture, paint the hair relatively straight, and model in the curvature.
    - Snap the hair card to a vert, or an edge. This will ensure you don't have 'floating' hair.
    - Make sure you have enough curvature on the cards, so you don't see a lot of empty space when looking at the card perpendicularly.
    - Make sure the opaque part of the hair card covers the roots of the hair cards.

zzz tons more to think of..
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Better for what?
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much for the tips/advice, guys! Very useful.

Popol - It can be tough to know if what you're doing is stupid, or just difficult. I'll gladly take difficult, though. :) I will also say I really like the fur on the piece in your avatar.

Jacque - Thanks a ton. I went down the list and started checking things off. I definitely didn't know you shouldn't let them intersect, and the first tip is especially useful. I think a lot of my problems were from just having a bad starting texture, one that was too transparent.

Dustin - I recently moved over to Maya, (from Cinema4D) and juuust about got to the point where I can actually do work, i.e., the majority of my time isn't spent Googling for help. That makes tips like this very much appreciated, because I know where to look in this massive program. Thanks!
  • newfych
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i'm in process of writing tool for Maya to work with Zbrush IMM Hair strip brush. For now - it's free version. Features: you can unwrap UV's with one mouse click. You can organaize your scene by creating different groups of hairs. Critique is wellcomed. Most usefull comments authors will receive full version of plugin for free. Link video : [url]
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    newfych wrote: »
    Hi, i'm in process of writing tool for Maya to work with Zbrush IMM Hair strip brush. For now - it's free version. Features: you can unwrap UV's with one mouse click. You can organaize your scene by creating different groups of hairs. Critique is wellcomed. Most usefull comments authors will receive full version of plugin for free. Link video : [url]
    Something wrong with your audio track.