Home General Discussion

Do your friends nag you to apply for everything ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
So my RL friends know I do 3D stuff and such. And they keep telling me to apply for just about everything. (I do 3D characters)

VFX Artist, Technical Artist, Web Developer O o', Lead/Senior role, Art Director, Producer etc.

"Just apply first, you can learn to do it in a few days."

Like...... wha ?

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are these friends also involved in game development? To me it just sounds like ignorance on their part.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Some are game developers, who usually encourage me to learn C++ in 1-2 yrs.
    Some are... software engineers in mobiles and data analyst or something.
    I think I am the only 'artist' in the group... <_<"
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    My friends tell me to do whatever I want to do
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I don't have friends like that.

But my dad will text me that he found something on google
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    they are nuts. just apply to positions that you are comfortable with. even if it's not listed ask them if it's available anyway.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, don't bother applying to jobs you have either no experience in, or have nothing in your portfolio showing your ability to accomplish that position's responsibilities. You will just waste time stressing about hearing back when you never will. Build a folio around what you do best and apply to jobs pertaining to that skill.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My friends don't, but man recruiters love doing that.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Your into computers aren't u? I heard they r hiring at the grocery store! Sounds perfect fer u! Why r u getting so angry? What the hell iz yer problem?!

BTW...
    can u fix my computer? :poly127:
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hahaha yeah, if you have bad luck they project any job on you, but i also love these dialogues:

"would you like to work on this exciting new project at companyxyz?"

"uhm check my profile i already work on that game!"

and no i never had such friends, tho pretty much all my friends are artists, so they know the deal
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    It gets even trickier when your friends start bugging and say apply to any job, completely unrelated to what you want to do. Had it happen to me, and they might mean well, but if you really want to do something, mediate.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    im one of those people who used to nag my friends to apply for jobs, but i kept it realistic. in school i had a friend who wanted to do props. i saw a prop opening at blizzard, told him to apply. he said no because he didnt think he was good enough. after a while i said fuck it and stopped trying to get them to apply because i soon realized they didnt even want to work in games and kind of wasted years going to school for it.

6745f59b.jpg.505x650_q85.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Art Director, Producer etc.

well... for those two... lol :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    So my RL friends know I do 3D stuff and such. And they keep telling me to apply for just about everything. (I do 3D characters)

VFX Artist, Technical Artist, Web Developer O o', Lead/Senior role, Art Director, Producer etc.

Like...... wha ?

nope. Do you want to do something different? If no, then ignore them.

If yes, then I would say they're not entirely wrong. Many people change jobs or get promoted to find themselves in a new role wondering how to master it. e.g. there are a few threads from freshly made leads here on Polycount, looking for advice. You may not be able to learn it in "a few days", that's just naive. But if you and the person hiring you have confidence, then it's definitely possible to grow into a new role that way.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Francois_K wrote: »
    I don't have friends like that.

But my dad will text me that he found something on google

lol, exactly the same for me, except he usually finds it in the newspaper or something instead.
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    claydough wrote: »
    Your into computers aren't u? I heard they r hiring at the grocery store! Sounds perfect fer u! Why r u getting so angry? What the hell iz yer problem?!

BTW...
    can u fix my computer? :poly127:

I have a lot of this kind of "you're into computers aren't you?" situations even though I countless times explained what I do and what I want to do in the future.
    But still regularly get questions(mostly my parents) if I would like to work in some IT company that make software and apps using languages I never even heard of...but hey..that is all computers.. It all the same right? Eh
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Lol....it's just happen a lot with me, people wanting me to try work everywhere for jobs that really doesn't fit or is too much for what I know (like blizzard level - I want to work for then, but right now is obvious for me that is not possible) family and friends wanting me to fix the computer problems ( and the deal is just turn on the antivirus) and here in my country almost 60% that ask me for work in their game (mobile games) want free job...

Its hard to deal with it, so I'm thinking in get a job doing advertising art/animation till I get better
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your friends don't seem very smart.
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    The interior city of an underdeveloped country...
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I have ton of those friends and their logic never applies the reality of international work expectancy. These are usually people who think they can " learn how to model characters in 2 months" .

So you do the math....
  • baalnazzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It won't work. 3D, VFX, programming. This isn't hammering or packing so you can just go and do it :)
  • ArtLearner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtLearner polycounter lvl 3
    I know that feeling,
    Most of the people mean it well,
    Only it is annoying people trying to push you to just do it,
    I myself am not at the level I need to be too apply,
    Even afraid to apply and to be made fun of.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Some are game developers, who usually encourage me to learn C++ in 1-2 yrs.
    Some are... software engineers in mobiles and data analyst or something.
    I think I am the only 'artist' in the group... <_<"

as someone who's learning c++ on the job (and more importantly REMOTELY from the team), it's definitely possible and i would encourage you to try.

however it's also not for everyone. it's bloody hard.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I'm mostly the one doing the nagging.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Its normal that they dont understand what goes in your professional activity, the same way you probably dont know about theirs. If they nag you , you know that :

1 - they dont have the inside knowledge nor the practical knowledge of the job you have , so its just a way for them to "try" to nudge you in a "higher" position or whatever they think that also applies , you cant blame them for not knowing what you know in regards to work in this industry .

2 - If they annoy you , instead of coming to polycount , you should probably have a face to face talk to tell them how you dont like that and for them to stop.
  • Napa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My friends and family put me in a similar situation. However, a lot of my friends do gaming too. I've had some job suggestions sent my way that I scoffed at off the bat, ended up applying for, and actually overall ended up having a really good experience.

I determine what skills I can take away from each opportunity and if the struggle is more than the benefits of that opportunity, I just let them know it's not for me. My roommates and I push each other a lot into these things, but I know at the end of the day it's all about the effort and getting that exposure and even though we annoy each other some times, we've all landed some pretty interesting positions by just throwing flyers out to one another.

I guess just let them down easy when they suggest something that's not too cool for you, and seriously consider some that seem interesting even if they're out of your comfort zone. You never know where an obscure contract can take you.

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Yes I WILL design your ( bar's, Landromat's, pet walking, babysitting, Deli's fill in the blank here_______ ) website.

I charge $10,000 for a one up design with no web administration afterwards.
    No security or web purchasing can or ever will be provided.
    ( DESIGN only. assets n art and design by someone who hates the compromise inherent in web design )

Luckily I am offering a discount this month 50% off! ( $5000 )

But since u r so special to me ( best friend, family member, Drug Dealer, Fill in the blank here_______ )

I will offer the same fer $3000!

Wow! you r s0 lucky!

( I have the same exact offer I have used for the past 30 years for dodging painting portraits )