Home General Discussion

I need advice of how to manage my time

I want next year, summer or around this time to try to make a portfolio, so i can apply and to get some intern or entry level job as 3d modeler in one the studios in my town. I want to start with hard surface, and later to learn Anatomy.

My friend works there, and he told me that i can work as hard surface or/and character modeler.But because for modeling characters it is harder, and takes years to learn Anatomy, he advised me to learn and get a job as hard surface modeler, to start to earn some money.

But... i really want somehow to learn anatomy at the same time i model in Maya some props/assets (no idea if this is same thing). I am not sure how to manage my time with this.How much time to spend in hard surface modeling, how much time to spend in learning Anatomy?

Sorry for my bad English.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    too many "want to" and none of "im doing right now" , its the only advice i can give you.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pick hard surface OR Character and then work at it every day starting right now.
  • ComatoriuM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ComatoriuM polycounter lvl 3
    If I were you I would get some hard surface first, FINISH the project then go on anatomy. It's something you have to study very carefully to get a good result. You have to be very disciplined; wake up and model it....lunch and model it... work like 11 hours per day its going to have you a good routine of work.

But just start! Study and do it.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Pick hard surface OR Character and then work at it every day starting right now.

That doesn't work like that, for characters you need to know both
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Fair enough but it sounded more like he was leaning towards doing both env art and characters maybe pick between environment art or character art would be a better way of putting it.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    translating the "I want to" into "I'm doing" is the hardest part though..
    I wonder if there's a collection of excuses somewhere.. excuses you can use if you are in need.. jk
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @dustinbrown
    this looks pretty interesting, thanks! Apparently.. this doesn't only apply to art.. but to pretty much everything in everyday life
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right guys. This is lot of excuses here i admit it. I really want to do Characters, more than anything. But is it possible to learn at some point anatomy, that i can be able to actually create something? For one year or 6-8 months?

Will study 12-14h a day.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tusk wrote: »
    You are right guys. This is lot of excuses here i admit it. I really want to do Characters, more than anything. But is it possible to learn at some point anatomy, that i can be able to actually create something? For one year or 6-8 months?

Will study 12-14h a day.

I doubt that in a year you can do something good, but maybe you're a genius. There's just too much learning and practice involved. 2 years, sure.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds like characters it is.

Make a schedule. And stick to it. Like 4 hours a night (if you work during the day) to focus on anatomy.

Also compartmentalize things to help you digest it. I do that a lot when I'm learning stuff and it helps. So learn ear anatomy, then eye, nose, lips. After you can draw, model, and sculpt a proper ear, eye, whatever then put it all together. Do that with muscle groups like an arm next. Just keep going.

The stuff you make in the next 6-10 months are going to look horrible to you by month 12. And it should. I look at stuff I made in the past and just see flaws. That means your artistic eye is developing. Which is awesome. It's progress!

At the end of the day make a schedule start with small stuff to not overwhelm yourself and keep expanding. A year is a short timeframe to develop into a master but crazier things have happened and if you have the drive (and Red Bull) it might be possible. Good luck!
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    It sound so easy sometimes.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well anatomy is heavily depend on the individual and does take years to be good, even then you never really stop learning it as you progress beyond simple muscle groups & proportions and it moves into weight and likeness.

I'd maybe say '2 years' just out of the air for generic male & female anatomy from nothing.

Character artists kind of have to be all other types of game artist roles all in one. Most start off with the standard progression of game art; props > env > weapon/vehicle > char.

I started career wise as an env artist and moved into char as my folio progressed. Not to say everyone should, that's just what I did.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being guilty of this myself. Set small tasks for yourself to do and COMPLETE THEM.

Be structured in your approach and also don't be too hard on yourself. You'll have to accept that things wont go the way you want to at points, but its those points that you learn the most from. Not just the problem itself but how you deal and approach it and to also help avoid other problems further along.

Weirdly learning is a learning experience in itself!

Apologies if I have repeated anything anyone has said :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I can say is that it's gonna be very hard no matter what you choose. Don't forget to get good sleep.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    First of all, in order to give any kind of advice we need to know where you are starting from. Are you familiar with the medium already, or is that just something that you think you might like ? After all, if you really want to do something art related you probably have some sketches lying around already.

Then you/we need to know if you want to be a modeler, or a designer (=concept artist). While it is perfectly possible to wear both hats when working on personal projects, the reality of a studio job is different : you are either one or the other. So you need to ask yourself where you want to be. Now of course after a few years it is always possible to transition from one position to the other, and it can go both ways. It is also good to keep in mind that the duties of a concept artist can often involve some cool modeling tasks.

The tricky thing is that in order to be a good modeler focusing on executing on provided concepts, one needs to have a well trained artistic eye. If two artists apply to the same modeler position at a studio, the AD will probably hire the person with the most original portfolio pieces - even if the job in question is ultimately all about execution. So, just following modeling tutorials is not going to be enough. For instance if you want to become a modeler specialized in highpoly vehicles, your best bet would be to dedicate a few hours a week studying car design principles and filling up sketchbooks with studies of mechanical doodads.

Now if you want to become a designer, that is to say, someone creating his/her own designs and being paid to do so, your best bet is probably to shut off your computer for the duration of these 8 coming months and just fill up sketchbooks with traditional concept art and studies.

But at the end of the day, what matters the most is to do what you like the best. If you become good enough at anything, someone will hire you for it !
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    -Give yourself strict deadlines by entering gamejams and contests, etc.
    -Start a thread on polycount. or tumblr. or somewhere. Just post every day with your daily work.
    -track your time on toggl.com and post your hours so you are saying, publicly, how much you worked toward your dream each day. Even if no one ever comments, that public posting is important.

Point is, do *whatever* you can to force yourself to be accountable, and you might find that you, well, become accountable. You'll also progress toward your goals.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

Sure it does, if i didn't decide to do it i could be sculpting and organically modelling all my way to now. You do not have to know HS modelling, but it sure helps and gives you a broader foundation and therefore better chances for your job. But unless you work on Halo or a few of the other very scifi brands, the little HS modelling you need for fantasy stuff is neglectable, same for many stylized things.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    Sure it does, if i didn't decide to do it i could be sculpting and organically modelling all my way to now. You do not have to know HS modelling, but it sure helps and gives you a broader foundation and therefore better chances for your job. But unless you work on Halo or a few of the other very scifi brands, the little HS modelling you need for fantasy stuff is neglectable, same for many stylized things.
    Right now I'm working on a character that is neither Halo nor Sci-fi and I still had to do a lot of hardsurface work, how does that happen? Everything that isn't organic is hardsurface, and even with organic basemeshes your hardsurface skills will come in handy. I suppose you can deal without these skills when you work on simple stylized characters, but I'm not entirely sure. Even with fantasy stuff, there's still a ton of hardsurface work: armor, weapons, all kinds of stuff. Not all fantasy is low-poly handpainted characters. I'm really confused why you think there's no need in hardsurface skills. I think you have a real narrow view on the industry,where there's only two types of art style: handpainted fantasy and Halo...

sorry for the wall of text, maybe I don't understand you correctly
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Right now I'm working on a character that is neither Halo nor Sci-fi and I still had to do a lot of hardsurface work, how does that happen? Everything that isn't organic is hardsurface, and even with organic basemeshes your hardsurface skills will come in handy. I suppose you can deal without these skills when you work on simple stylized characters, but I'm not entirely sure. Even with fantasy stuff, there's still a ton of hardsurface work: armor, weapons, all kinds of stuff. Not all fantasy is low-poly handpainted characters. I'm really confused why you think there's no need in hardsurface skills. I think you have a real narrow view on the industry,where there's only two types of art style: handpainted fantasy and Halo...

I've never known "hard surface modeling" to mean "modeling anything inorganic" and I'm pretty sure Neox didn't mean that either

When people say hard surface modeling they usually mean subdivision modeling an object where surface smoothness and accuracy of shapes is important. Those are things where sub-d modeling with clean edgeloops and topology really counts and shines over traditional sculpting tools.

And that requires a different skillset, one character artists who aren't working on sci fi projects don't usually need because 99% of the armor pieces they'll be making will be handmade from hammered metal, not molded with precision and put together by machinery. Sculpting things like that out of a basic mesh is perfectly fine.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

i guess we have a different understanding of HS modelling, and i agree modelling is a super important skill to have, but what i usually do for characters, sculptingmeshes, a button here a buckle there, maybe some armorplates.
    But while you need to know modelling, there is a difference in the skill level needed between modelling this http://mr-necturus.com/shop/image/cache/data/Products/Props/3_Halberds/Halberds_preview_04-600x600.jpg and that http://www.lonewolf3d.com/images/M4/M4_GHOST_SD_Money.jpg

or lets use my own art and not someone elses, this is what i would call HS modelling http://cdn.artstation.rocks/p/assets/images/images/000/261/542/large/airborn-studios-halo-rogue-suit-highpoly.jpg
    and this is mostly just super simple meshes created to sculpt on
    http://polyphobia3d.deviantart.com/art/frenja-step-14-446774138

for HS you just need to be precise and patient, for organics you can be much sloppier
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Tusk wrote: »
    I am not sure how to manage my time with this.How much time to spend in hard surface modeling, how much time to spend in learning Anatomy?

I recommend setting time for learning, where you follow along tutorials, and "playtime" where you practice what you currently know without the pressure of modelling or sculpting perfectly. How to play? Make 3d sketches. Show them in forums or just save them in your drive to record your efforts. More important is that you practice regularly and not just fill your head with theory. You do this long enough and have become better, you'll see that you might have enough decent samples to build a portfolio.

Helps if you can find a more experienced fellow learner or a generous mentor who can help you in your self-educational efforts.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    managing your schedule is easy.

Dont do this.

changedis.jpg

Do this.

todis.PNG

I even still left you "you" time with that schedule.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I can't sub-d model for crap. I've been doing hand painted stuff most of my career and recently moved on to the baked diffuse workflow that Blizzard and other companies have been using.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9

Nice page
    Artists tend to be temperamental sorts, it really is best to reevaluate yourself periodically to make sure your motivation can be built up and harnessed properly
    I've been having some motivational issues recently, though mainly from working on one project for many months
    In a situation like this it's hard to maintain your creative fuel as it just tends to ebb away the more you invest in the project regardless of your excitement or interest in it :(