Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

xNormal reimagination

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Hey guys

I had the desire to work on a hypothetical design for xNormal for some time
and had some free time today and just started working on something

I know this rather belongs in the 2D section, but I want to ask you 3D guys what you think of it, as it is a 3D tool and the userbase is there and User experience is the most important part in designing an UI.

Would you enjoy it with such a design ? If no, what do you dislike ?

XNormalEK.png

Keep in mind its just a concept as Interface exercise and not related to Santiago Orgaz / xNormal in any way

Replies

• LlamaRider
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaRider polycounter lvl 8
    I kinda like it, lovin flat design but there's some stuff you can change. At first I would replace list of "Maps to render" to a list of images like in quixel products. Also white text on green boxes is a little bit unreadable.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Seems lot more usable than the normal one and a lot less of an eyesore good job!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One thing that the current one is pretty good at is communicating the UI hierarchy through strong value changes. That's certainly something to keep in mind for an overhaul proposal, since making input fields instantly identifiable is pretty important for a good UX.

greynormal_zps9556fb63.jpg~original

Also, please, keep tickboxes as *tick*boxes :)

(Now I personally don't mind the current design at all - its kinda ugly but it is familiar :) But props to you for taking the time to put together such a proposal, as I am sure that great things can come out of this !)

From a purely functional point of view : Would love Object Space and Tangent Space normalmaps to be two different map types in the list as opposed to a switch within the "Normalmap" option.

(also this thread might be better off in Tech Talk ...)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Good points

The green boxes definitely dont have enough contrast, and I was wondering about the yellow ones aswell

Tick boxes as tick boxes ? You mean having a checkmark instead of a dot ?

I do not really see how it communicates the menu hierarchy due to the contrast, its pretty randomly arranged, but it easier to find buttons definitely, but mine uses color contrast and thats obviously not apparent on a black and white comparison ; )
    But gotta work on contrast right!

Would love to do a pic for every map but that would be a lot of work for this purpose , and didnt want to break the old things too much to keep habits, and a list hierarchy seems to be the way to go for so many things

Here is an update, more obvious checkboxes, if not I go with checkmarks then, and made the middle less noisy

Not super sure about the text only layout, it looks better than before but not sure if thats worth it

XNormalEK.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You should redesign a Batch Baking screen in there as well.
    How it should look like. How it should function.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Alright, couldn't resist giving it a try :) I hope you don't mind, and I hope this is constructive somehow !

graynormal2_zps794b3128.jpg~original
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    pior wrote: »
    From a purely functional point of view : Would love Object Space and Tangent Space normalmaps to be two different map types in the list as opposed to a switch within the "Normalmap" option.

+1 to this.
    And maybe even user configurable suffixes for the output names for each bake type in the options.

While the focus of the mockup is on the baking options screen, I would like to see the high and low poly mesh screens combined, and what that may look like.

Have something like Max's material id baking so you don't need to explode your meshes.

Also a feature like in dDo where when you load a map that follows certain naming conventions, it would load the rest of the meshes (low poly & cage).

Maybe what a queue/batching window might look like.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    From a functional perspective there could be a lot different In general in xNormal I suppose

Batch baking screen, hmm

I like how you did leave away things Pior, stripping it to the minimum, but Im not sure if thats what would be desired. Without those things it sure looks cleaner, but you cannot delete the name, or the version, the descriptions etc

New users would have problems, your version is basically done for the expert guy that knows it per heart. And per example your "Use preset slot" builds upon the fact that I explained it before on my picture. Take my picture away and its a lot more vague. But sure, your version would be the most straightforward for most of us, but then again it is not very visually pleasing, and my personal intention was to make it more fun to use through aesthetics with a friendly and inviting look. But I should totally take the checkmarks then, and maybe leave the submenu text away hmm

My other idea was going towards a "empowering" route, making it look like what you
    did is like working on heavy powerful machines, with construction stripes and a fancy red lamp as button etc, to empathize the baking process as an act of power (which it kinda is) but it would probably be too cheesy
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Oh woops my bad - I forgot to put the application name and icon in the top-left window border :) I agree, it certainly should be there.

I am not sure to see the point of the category names/descriptions though - the user doesn't need to be told that "bitmap size" is a setting. Put differently : if a user needs to be explained that, then the user in question is not part of the target audience of the program in the first place. Keep in mind that anyone potentially using Xnormal, by definition, already knows Max/Maya/Zbrush/Mudbox/Blender - which are a gazillion times more complex than a relatively simple baking tool.

I think Handplane is a fantastic reference to look at - straight to the point and crystal clear.

ProgramManager_2014-04-26_23-11-21_zpse610e07c.png~original

UI/UX design sure is a fascinating subject ... Thanks for being open to suggestions !

(by the way : the Bitmap Size part should indicate which is W and which is L - I got tricked by that more than a few times, it certainly needs some clarification)
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    I feel like we someone should email the developers and link them here. A lot of these ideas would be great to see put in place.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    You mean the guy right above your comment ? : )
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    As far as I'm concerned oldschool beveled buttons will always be the best choice for technical software.

Sure, they may not be super stylish, and don't follow design trends from last few years - but they add clarity that flat color stuff just doesn't have.

This is precisely why I find handplane interface more appealing than xnormal redesign so far.
  • Make666
    Offline / Send Message
    Make666 polycounter lvl 4
    This is little offtopic but i couldn't resist the temptation to make concept :D I love xNormal but UI is very outdated. I think the ui needs complete overhaul.
    qq3yURR.jpg
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Make666 wrote: »
    I couldn't resist the temptation to make concept :D I love xNormal but UI is very outdated.
    qq3yURR.jpg

I second this one!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    What's wrong with WinAmp skin?

Seriously though do this!
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    DO BOTH

Inb4 Xnormal UI competition
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    qq3yURR.jpg

I like this one more, although there are few things bugging me.

Option to disable preview is missing (I sometimes bake models I can only view individual partsa of).

Size, Edge padding...Antialiasing don't show in any way you can't type in what you want rather than pick presets.

Plugin manager and sounds are missing.
  • Make666
    Offline / Send Message
    :)@JustMeSR Yeah there is a lot of things missing but it was very rough sketch. Maybe i try to make it better someday .
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i... i want all of this...
  • BobtheGreatII
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Ha ha, I'm glad other people are bothered by xNormal's UI.
  • Raztt
    Offline / Send Message
    Raztt polycounter lvl 10
    I've actually done this in my head before, and I like the designs.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    This is little offtopic but i couldn't resist the temptation to make concept :D I love xNormal but UI is very outdated. I think the ui needs complete overhaul.
    qq3yURR.jpg

I think this is pretty but it looks useless.

It needs slots for loading multiple meshes, so line items are going to be better since I need to be able to quickly reference what I have loaded and what I haven't (goes for both high and low poly lists), it needs slots for textures to be loaded, options for the maps.

Personally I think that Xnormal is well designed UI wise, it just also happens to be ugly. Fix the ugly part, but leave the UI alone would be my suggestion.

I also really dont want a live 3d preview, my system is being taxed enough and I have never gone into the viewer.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    qq3yURR.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of over-simplifying UI, in the high-poly/low-poly window where is the ability to load multiple meshes. Even if it is nested in some sort of settings menu, doesn't that just defeat the purpose of re-designing the UI by adding more steps complete a task in the re-design.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    m4dcow wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of over-simplifying UI, in the high-poly/low-poly window where is the ability to load multiple meshes. Even if it is nested in some sort of settings menu, doesn't that just defeat the purpose of re-designing the UI by adding more steps complete a task in the re-design.

If it allowed shift clicking multiple meshes, it wouldn't be too simple. But there should be a cage button with it.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    XNormal looks so outdated, almost as if transparency layers had just been discovered. I think a UI facelift would do the program a world of good, a 3D preview would also be fantastic!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    ysalex wrote: »

Personally I think that Xnormal is well designed UI wise, it just also happens to be ugly. Fix the ugly part, but leave the UI alone would be my suggestion.

Yea, you shouldn't break user habits, and functionality wise is xnormal not really bad, it just dosnt look post 2000

I like the interpretation, but its missing tons of functionality , and with them it would not look as good anymore I guess
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    If it allowed shift clicking multiple meshes, it wouldn't be too simple. But there should be a cage button with it.

Yeh, but I guess having the word "model" implies singular, but even so on that design there isn't anything to indicate what meshes are loaded/selected to be baked which is sort of a step backwards IMO.

Even if you look at the handplane UI, it is pretty simple and has all the options you need in reach, but in xNormal many people tend to work with more files and more complicated setups than would ever be in handplane. I just think by over-simplifying things you might make it worse.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hm now looking back at the tread, I felt not satisfied with my design and response dosnt seem to good either so I went back and simplified some more and made things clearer, buttons physical better spacing etc
    Edit: more contrast now

XNormalV5.png

Anyone even liking the colors ? Its pretty nature-ish, like it tho, but kinda unusual however

Also I wouldnt use handplane as an example for ui, it has literally no functions and thats obviously the dream for a clean ui. Still it drives me crazy as I never know if something is inverted now or not because its very badly described imo. What please is default and what is inverted ?
    And then if you are doing it right, it gives you an error message, saying it should invert the stuff, and if you agree it comes out wrong. Or maybe im dumb, but its always screwing me over, terrible UX for me.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I find the light colours make my eyes wonder onto other areas. Try a dark grey layout like Handplane. Otherwise I'm all for it, I love the design.
  • JPomeisl
    Offline / Send Message
    JPomeisl polycounter lvl 3
    somehow there's a certain charm to the ugliness of xN... the design isn't equal to what the program is giving you, but it feels right. these new designs (even though they're nice in their own way)just don't feel right, maybe nostalgia? more purple?
  • Make666
    Offline / Send Message
    I made another concept and i dont know if it is any better.
    another_xnormal_ui_concept_by_make666-d7h2hqj.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    please let me stack maps and define custom suffixes, k thx bye!
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the new one!
  • Abdullah
    i am really loving Shrike's design. I hope i see it one day in Xnormal :)
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I love your design shrike. It's simple and everything looks easy to find and read. I would definitely use it :D
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    If I opened up x-normal and it looked like shrike's I would literally shit my pants. I absolutely hate the layout that xnormal has mostly because of the gigantic buttons and unused space it takes on my screen. That said.. Its free so... i can't complain too much.
  • steve0
    Offline / Send Message
    steve0 polycounter lvl 5
    This is awesome! It is awesome to see someone finally take on the task of changing the UI, super helpful. I completely agree with @Prior saying have, "Object Space and Tangent Space normalmaps to be two different map types in the list as opposed to a switch within the "Normalmap" option."
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    steve0 wrote: »
    This is awesome! It is awesome to see someone finally take on the task of changing the UI, super helpful. I completely agree with @Prior saying have, "Object Space and Tangent Space normalmaps to be two different map types in the list as opposed to a switch within the "Normalmap" option."
    A feature that could go further, is being able to do the same map types with different settings (along with custom suffixes per instance), which would solve the normal & object space normal thing and I know some people bake out multiple AO maps with different settings to use for different things.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Really I think a batch based approach would be best, where you can setup multiple maps to be baked per batch, and where you can also have the same map serviral times in a batch with custom suffix.

That would be useful since I sometimes bake the same map time multiple times with different settings, such as multiple AO bakes, to get varying types of detail or bakeing a tangent space and a object space normal map.

Also for the ui feel, I would use native windows widgets, or go with a dark qt theme like maya
  • EdGaray
    xNormal_Interface_Example.jpg

Here's another concept
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is making me jizz everywhere.
    Seriously, it would be great if xnormal gets a pretty makeover.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    MAKE THEM ALL! Plus post them all on Xnormal forums
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    m4dcow wrote: »
    A feature that could go further, is being able to do the same map types with different settings (along with custom suffixes per instance), which would solve the normal & object space normal thing and I know some people bake out multiple AO maps with different settings to use for different things.

this!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    EdGaray : this looks cool, and it somehow has similarities with the current version. Well done :)

I have to confess I am quite attached to the original Xnormal design too, if just for the fact that it makes the very clear statement that highly technical apps don't have to spend too much time on looking trendy. I feel like your spin on Shrike's design captures the feel of the original in that regard ! More precisely, I like the fact that you have both big graphic elements *and* clear text descriptions. It might not be as hip as the recent trends in UI design, but as far as UX goes this is unbeatable.

My only concern would be the horizontal scroll bar you have down there. I feel like a pro app like Xnormal should allow for very fast UI navigation (clicks, scrolls, and typing) ; having to grab a scroll bar and scrub it horizontally goes a bit against that.

I think it's awesome that this discussion originally centered around visual proposals is slowly incorporating UX and feature suggestions. Cool !

(on a side note, I'll admit that I do have a bit of pre-conceived negative bias against UI overhauls simply because of what happened to programs like Photoshop and 3DSMax, which both became slower and more glitch-ridden when new UI systems were slapped on them a few years back. I'll take a hard coded, ugly yet latency free UI from the late 90's over a modular yet micro-laggy UI any day !)
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I figured I would join in eventually with a UI Redesign/Feature Wishlist.
    3ycOA6c.png

I used a bunch of stuff on here like the presets, and the always exposed map settings.

So I figured I would group together the high and low meshes into the same section.

A wishlist item for me would be to group high poly meshes under low poly ones, to sort of bake in batches, basically a way to not have to explode meshes for baking.

So the idea is you would select the low poly mesh on the left, and then check the boxes under the "G" (G means group) heading in the high poly section. Thinking about it now, there should be a checkbox on the map options to enable group baking if desired, ie: for normal, but not ambient occlusion.

The C and B stand for Cage and Blockers files.

Auto import meshes will load both low and high poly meshes based on some sort of naming pattern. ie: if you load char_body????-low.fbx it would load all the high files with that prefix.

Auto Group Meshes would basically group the corresponding high poly meshes under the low poly meshes. Some sort of standards for naming and delimiters would need to be established.

A lot of the other options for high and low poly meshes would be accessed by clicking the options wheel, would be good to be able to select multiple meshes and be able to edit the options on all of them at the same time. Often used settings can always be kicked out to the main list.

On the Baking options window, the "Maps To Render Section" would allow the user to render multiple of the same maps with different settings in one "job". There would also be custom suffixes for different types of bakes ie: If you wanted to bake a tangent space map and an object space normal space map in one go they wouldn't overwrite each other.

The Map Settings would be a quick way to get at individual map settings.

Bake Queue is just a way to batch files, but having it on in this section it would be cool to be able to select multiple jobs, and change similar settings. Like change resolutions, Map settings etc... across multiple files. This is also the reason I broke up filename and output directory, so you could feasibly change the output location on multiple files quickly. Should probably be a save button at the bottom too.

I'm sure Jogshy has lots of cool stuff queued up for xNormal 4, but hopefully stuff like this allows him to make xNormal even better.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Ha! I had considered revamping the xNormal UI as well. Nice job so far to everyone!
    pior wrote: »

A Bent Normal map is just another name for Object Space/World Space normal map so just choose that along with your tangent space normal map.
  • Abdullah
    are there any ppl from xnormal developers watching this? i'd love to see a comment from them.The tool is an amazing one but the UI needs a lil tweak :)
  • Dn2
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    Shrike, thats sexy :D

I think "Use preset slot" would make more sense as a drop down with a save, load and delete (buttons) presets options. Will allow for naming them and uses the space better. Also less of a limit in how many you can have.