Home Dota 2

Xajai's Workshop Thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Xajai polycounter lvl 3
Will include all my stuff here! in the meantime...

accepted items:

200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

Replies

• Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Created this ward a couple days ago, but honestly i don't have enough experience in importing it into Dota, I'd rather someone take care of the animations/importing. Any takers? the lowpoly and normals are done, just working on the textures.
    D3Aaomc.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, is it inspired by a hero?
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah! it was inspired by the chest piece on Warlock. The textures should be done today, but in that note, does anyone know if its possible to add lights to a model? ie. putting a light in the place of the eye, then making the eye not cast shadows? i know its quite technical, but if theres a way that would be awesome.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Xajai wrote: »
    Yeah! it was inspired by the chest piece on Warlock. The textures should be done today, but in that note, does anyone know if its possible to add lights to a model? ie. putting a light in the place of the eye, then making the eye not cast shadows? i know its quite technical, but if theres a way that would be awesome.

Sounds like you're talking about either custom particle effects or maybe self illumination which can be tweaked through the masks.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    was actually hoping more like a dynamic light, kinda like the ones there are in the runes that cast color and shadows.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Got the lowpoly with the textures! working on the masks, anyone got a good tutorial for importing wards into the game? still looking for an animator to do it tho :x

8WAsdH9.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I can have ago at it if you are ok with that. Hit me on steam via Vayne4800/Vayne.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Vayne, thanks! after a couple of minutes of messing with the files i think i got the basics of how to export it and import it into dota, not looking great at the moment but i managed to import a simple animation, I'll try to do something with it and if I fail ill send you a msg! thanks!
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Making progress on my courier's texture! will have the bake and maps by the end of the week!
    wQdXbAs.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    you know that there is a walrus courier in the workshop?
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Yupp, yet i think this guy's different enough.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Some terrorblade concepts, hit me up if you wanna collab on any!
    #5 is taken by @chiniara
    #6 is taken by Mdk
    #1 is taken by Andumy

QLckPnF.jpg
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Can I take number 6?
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    you know that there is a walrus courier in the workshop?

It's almost impossible to not make something like in the workshop. First you have to spend a lot of time trolling the workshop to make sure you don't 'duplicate' someone's work. (thousands of items and none can be close to someone else's?)

Second, there's no reason someone else couldn't make a Walrus anyway. Valve is gonna pick the best one. I don't condone 'stealing' (if you can even call it that) someone else's ideas.
    Every TF2 item I ever made was an idea I had and wanted to do, not trying to duplicate someone else's ideas. But that's no guarantee that I haven't. And I have seen plenty of my ideas used (stolen or not) and even put in game.

Just the nature of the beast. It's a free market.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    #5 is taken by @chiniara
    #6 is taken by Mdk

QLckPnF.jpg

Those are concepts? Jeesh, they look like finished pieces.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Plus its a seal, not a walrus…. I don't think its a problem of being too similar
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Crazy idea here.... and bear with me, it could be cool.

We are making "hats" for characters, wards and couriers, but latley ive seen a lot of sets with alternate styles. These normally sell for more and are more appealing to the players.

Back when the greedoviles (sp?) were the couriers to have, I started to picture something. Im a big fan of the little big planet style, and i would love to bring something like that to the dota world, but i had no idea how. Then while walking in a mall in canada i saw these
    http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/10779005/plush_animal_head_hats.jpg

Im sure youve seen them, they are cute and funny. So i started to hatch an idea. What if there was a courier, that could use these type of hats, and the hats were based on the heroes from dota?

itop5VR.jpg

a simple base mesh of a courier ( in this case this little dragon i just sketched to prove the concept) with a polycount of arround 1.5k tris. leaving 1.5 for the hat, more than enough to create something like :
    CcD6gX8.jpg

Different styles would b eunlocked either by chest, or completing hero specific challenges, like, land 10 hooks in a round while the courier is active.

The hats would have a similar base, meaning they would all use the same bones to keep it as simple as possible, maybe a little charm just dangling from the dragons tail or the back of the hat for each hero? Again, im just shooting some ideas see what everyone thinks, it could be a lot of work modeling several hats for this guy, but then again, the simple style should cut that time considerably.

I could just go ahead and model a couple and see what ppl think, but i guess ill wait to hear some feedback!
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    #5 is taken by @chiniara
    #6 is taken by Mdk

QLckPnF.jpg

first thing when i saw them it was something like ,wow 6 style terrorblade weapon,not bad ,and after when i read concepts i wal like wtf XD
    if it's available i would go for nr.1 :D
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Was working on a quick sculpt this morning, and it ended up being a pretty fun project, it even gave me the idea for a treant based on the staff! i know it seems a bit oversized, but it looks so cool in the game i had to keep it that way. any comments?
    YNbKkEh.jpg
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Make the leaf sharper ,it looks like a bean atm XD .if you don't want to make it it sharper you could flatten it a bit to cancel that bean effect.
    the concept and the realization is awesome overall :D
  • MrTrojan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That leaf for np is so unique!! can't wait to see where you take this :)

also, how goes your progress on that ward. it's looking good so far.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #5 is taken by @chiniara
    #6 is taken by Mdk
    #1 is taken by Andumy

QLckPnF.jpg

eh terrorblade technical requirement already out?
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    @Andumy yeah i think you are right, the in game shots dont have any maps tho, im sure that with some spec and rimlight the shape will show better.

@MrTrojan Thanks! the ward is finished and imported, but honestly i didnt like how it looked in game, ill throw some screenshots later tho!

@agito666 nope, not yet, just made some concepts and ppl wanted to start on em :3
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Update on the Staff! will upload tomorrow.
    9djzhFj.gif
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Created a concept for a NP treant.... what do u guys think?? too weird? maybe remake it into something for veno?? or a courier??? i really like the idea and id love to create a wood/fire/ice/stone if i make it a courier, or simple wood for a treant!

YEE5PzM.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How does it moves?
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    Created a concept for a NP treant.... what do u guys think?? too weird? maybe remake it into something for veno?? or a courier??? i really like the idea and id love to create a wood/fire/ice/stone if i make it a courier, or simple wood for a treant!

YEE5PzM.jpg

wait ,concept?! so this is a draw too? O_o i hope you're kidding
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    hehe its a quick sculpt, and painted on photoshop.
    the concept is, half of him would be underground, so rocks will pop out when he moves half underground... ill make a quick animation, but i think i know how to handle it.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe its a quick sculpt, and painted on photoshop.
    the concept is, half of him would be underground, so rocks will pop out when he moves half underground... ill make a quick animation, but i think i know how to handle it.

well i just curious how you gonna do flying form if that is courier :v

i know it is pretty same concept like the diglett figure hehe...
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    It's interesting for sure, but I don't know about a courier? I feel like its really hit or miss.

Like wyrm, then flying wyrm/wyverion thing. The animations could be cool for sure, but idk. I think its risky for a courier, could be really neat for a treant, or ward for sure.

You seem to be falling into a groove of "making art first, and retooling for characters/item types later". A little bit of pre-prod/design integrity would go a long way, I think, to push your concepts and pieces further, grounding them in lore/design integrity, and really solving questions that appear after, and letting us focus on the art itself.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    I been thinking about that Treant i made, and i decided I would try to make it into a full set for NP, the shape of the head will be the base for the whole set, here is a really early concept for the ward that will come with the set.
    Maybe ill try to smoothen the top of the ward a bit more, but well see while the set evolves.
    w5zLw4u.jpg
  • Sanki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Staff! will upload tomorrow.
    9djzhFj.gif

if you dont get the staff into workshop, consider using the leaf as shoulder pad (or someone else will).
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    @Sanki yeah, it will be part of the full set hopefully! well see how it works out tho.

So I started doodling something in Zbrush last night, and being stupid i came up with what i thought was an original idea... then i checked the workshop... turns out its not original at all... so i think ill just save it for the future , what do you guys think???
    zkXZJbs.jpg

heres the link to the workshop submission http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190588759&searchtext=
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    did a highpoly for a jugg ward, it will come in 2 styles! Im planning on having the fire particle in the middle on top of the wooden beams... and the death animation will be the bell/gong falling to the floor and rolling, could look cool!
    G4lPhvg.jpg
    olVKbMx.jpg
  • HFresch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the ward! Really cool, will probably look great in game as it's not too bulky.

Btw, like the jade bell version best ;)
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots of cool stuff in here - nice work!
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    So i revamped one of my old sets for Morphling, people complained a lot about the textures in the set pieces, so i went back into zbrush and actually modeled the runes, instead of just drawing the normals with crazybump (which is horrible, dont do it) anyways, im done but while i was doing the promo, i experimented with colors... and now im lost, im turning to you guys for some comments! thanks!!
    CA0JBxa.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I was leaning towards 4 but I think I actually prefer 3 now. The contrast of colours is nice and looking at his(its?) other sets, I don't think the difference from Morphlings palette will cause a problem.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I agree with MdK. I was thinking about the 4th one, maybe a bit brighter, but the red one offers some really nice contrast. You could upload both as styles, and go with his theme of AGI/STR morph, having a red and a green version.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks! thats actually a really good idea, ill work on both of these colors and test them in game
  • Gajun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say add them as changeable colors ingame!
  • KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love that idea of styles for AGI/STR
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    A ward concept for Invoker, im not 100% sure imma go ahead with this one, but the animations would be so much fun to do, the books will fall from the sky one by one really fast when it spawns, and when it dies, the book thats floating closes and the eye goes into it, while the pile falls down... as06mGI.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    damn xD i started working on a ward concept a while ago and never finished it, but it was pretty much what you posted ^^ damn i should have continued. good job on that one!
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    thanks Coyo.Te i had this idea while ago too, but just forgot to put it down on paper till now :3

anyways, heres another concept for a clock/training dummy ward!! any input is greatly appreciated
    GJI31NZ.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    #5 is taken by @chiniara
    #6 is taken by Mdk
    #1 is taken by Andumy

QLckPnF.jpg

Hey guys, Xajai asked me to post that #6 is no longer taken.

Cheers.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Since #6 is no longer taken, does this look nice?

v5TcFE1.png