Home Dota 2

Motenai - Dota 2 Workshop

Replies

• quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    agito666 wrote: »
    my wild guess he is refering the massive fur that resemble Anuxi's mirana set or anuxi's CM snow drop set or feather feature :P

^ this, mean no offense though. As i said above the set looks awesome :D
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    ^ this, mean no offense though. As i said above the set looks awesome :D

No offense taken ;)
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Looking forward to the final asset!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the pie is baked...
    (the clipping you see on the arms is damn max viewport)
    FW1ulyB.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Which max version are you using? "realistic" in 2014+ actually manages to SORT transparency!
    Not kidding ;)
    (right now the alpha seems to cut your body in the viewport)
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    ooooo this dizzle seems looking great :D
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which max version are you using? "realistic" in 2014+ actually manages to SORT transparency!
    Not kidding ;)
    (right now the alpha seems to cut your body in the viewport)

I'm back to 2012 :)
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Is it really baked? the fuck. It looks like highpoly, such great
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    LEGIT. Looks great man, I really dig the direction, I just hope the ponytail reads cool from above, and the arm wraps might feel a tad too noisy but that will probably be a non-issue after you texture it. can't wait to see this bad boy running around in game.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaaand the color texture is finally ready...time to move on masks...

42IZVNT.jpg
  • Darren Pinard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    As always, Super impressive work Motenai, Have to say that personally I'm a little on the fence about the red.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    man that looks great. I do agree with Darren a bit though, it feels almost a little too overpowering, might need to see it in game first though. I think it would be a fantastic accent but maybe its too much on the bottom? then again, in game you probably see the bottom the least.

can't wait to buy this mofo!
  • terra.cotta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome. Except the red.Too much man.
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Great job! Agree with other guys. Too much red colors on the bottom, may be some gradients will help :)
    Keep your great works up!

Btw, can I see grid, wanna see how tail on his head works.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome but yeah, gotta reiterate what everyone else is sayin, the red parts really need a top-down light-to-dark gradient. Less saturation at the bottom would help too, the fur at his feet shouldn't be more saturated than the mask on his face.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ye i've heard others telling me about the red, i'm gonna definitely tweak it a bit...probably darken it a bit and shift it slightly to magenta tone...
    thanks everyone for the constructive comments! ;)
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe try something else about the eyes, Dazzle doesn't really seem to be an evil red-eyed figure. He does heal people :). The gradient on the hair feels kind of strong too.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dazzle reminds me Vladimir's Offering
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Dazzle is evil though. He heals with dark magic. I like the scary face. but agree the red would throw me off a bit.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    Dazzle is evil though. He heals with dark magic. I like the scary face. but agree the red would throw me off a bit.

Yep, already corrected the red, toned it a bit more towards magenta, and darker
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Congratz with your CK set dude! Keep it up!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    GOT IT! But no alternate style helmet :/
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    GOT IT! But no alternate style helmet :/

There will be not skull helmet apparently, courtesy of china rules :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Congrats on another set successfully getting in !
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah! Congrats on getting the CK set in. I don't play him but I still bought the chest a few times so that I could get it!

Now I am waiting for your Venge and Dazzle sets to get in. I will be all over that!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the compliments about the CK set, i'm very happy about it, unfortunately no skull helmet :\

On the other hand, here is the Dazzle coming to an end....i listened to you guys and in tweaked some of the textures, and the red fur, that now is slightly darker and tinted to magenta.
    I did the turn-around of the alternate version, cause as i said, skulls aren't going much far in the workshop, so this will be the main style, and the skull will be the alternate

XtTQCnF.gif
  • Sebostian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebostian polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work! I like it :)
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    awesome work !
  • Eden of Chaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was running an idea by a friend of mine and he pointed out that skulls would probably be an issue because of the Perfect World servers in China, which is probably why we won't see anything like that added in.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've managed to capture a great amount of detail in your bakes! Loving that treatment of cloth on his upper thighs, very natural.

My only small crit would be that I'm not particularly drawn to his eyes, as the upper face is tonally matching the hood and the eyes them selves being outshone by the bright teeth drawn attention.

-Toasty
  • phobalien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phobalien polycounter lvl 6
    Hi again guys!
    I'm cross posting from the main thread to share the Life Stealer set I'm doing with motenai!

As written in the other thread, I took care of general concept design and the high poly. What you see here is the final version after some tweaks agreed with my partner!

When motenai is ready, you will see the lowpoly and bake. Enjoy!

zM9tB7f.jpg?1
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaaaaaaaand here the lowpoly + bakes... now time to move on skinning lods and textures

7vW6zYX.jpg
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's really cool. Is that supposed to be the "wizard" on his back?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +10 points to ReMixx...
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Oh I thought it was based on old slavic mythology and the tale of Koshei the immortal and his ability to steal life etc... Nope, wizard. xD
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy wrote: »
    Oh I thought it was based on old slavic mythology and the tale of Koshei the immortal and his ability to steal life etc... Nope, wizard. xD

No sorry i don't know the Koshei myth.
    In general Phobalien and I (but mostly him considering he designed the set) tried to stay more on the actual Lifestealer lore, were he was closed in a jail together with a wizard that then tried to infest Naix's body to escape the prison but remaining instead trapped inside Naix.
    So the body on the back of this set should be the one of that wizard :)
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    A very unique idea and awesomely executed. I hope this doesn't run into those notorious Lifestealer rigging issues I have heard about. I look forward to seeing your texture work.
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    +10 points to ReMixx...

Yess 10 more internet points!

Aha awesome! Will China be okay with it? The expression on the wizard's face might be 2spooky4some.
  • phobalien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy to see that the idea is well received! In the end amongst the few we had we choose the best one!

And yes ReMixx you deserve those internet points!:)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Great work on the Lifestealer set, think it's an awesome idea.
    But like ReMixx said: just hope they will be okay with the whole idea.

Maybe don't use too much blood on the texture..
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Great work on the Lifestealer set, think it's an awesome idea.
    But like ReMixx said: just hope they will be okay with the whole idea.

Maybe don't use too much blood on the texture..

I'm actually considering to paint the wizard with more "alive" tones of skin, to avoid the whole zombie problem, and i'll probably also add the second eye, for the same reason.
    But if they are gonna have problems with the jaws on the back of Naix eating the wizard, then, there isn't much i can do, i guess we'll have to rethink that piece
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I'm actually considering to paint the wizard with more "alive" tones of skin, to avoid the whole zombie problem, and i'll probably also add the second eye, for the same reason.
    But if they are gonna have problems with the jaws on the back of Naix eating the wizard, then, there isn't much i can do, i guess we'll have to rethink that piece

No the jaws on the back eating the wizard is the centre piece, wouldn't change that at all! That's what makes is so original.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    No the jaws on the back eating the wizard is the centre piece, wouldn't change that at all! That's what makes is so original.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Aw i know and i agree with you, the only reason why i would change that is if Valve doesn't accept the set for the chinese limitations, like they did with the mutant lifestealer from Vlad.
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

What about for the Chinese version you bundle the wizard's body in a blanket?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ReMixx wrote: »
    What about for the Chinese version you bundle the wizard's body in a blanket?

I don't think the wizard body should be a problem, technically it's just a skinny human, i also added the second eye to avoid any possible reference to gore/zombie or whatever...i don't see why that would create problems...but i guess you never know till the end....
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Well he doesn't have any arms or legs.... Texturing is probably what will determine any problems.

Anyways its looking great!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished today the flat color texture for Lifestealer...blood is kept on a separate layer, in case i'll have to remove it, if the design will ever be accepted anyway....i'm already thinking of a possible low violence version for the back.

2Xu5OCe.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Wow! I have no words to describe how creative and well executed the back piece is.

But as for the rest of the set,Although they are perfectly executed, I see nothing special about them and can't see how the rest of the set works with the back piece.
    I mean yes he was a prisoner and all, but I think with such a legendary back piece, you guys could at least go for things that relate to the back piece. To me it feels like the designer had a perfect idea for the back piece, and then just filled the rest of the slots but then again they don't much relate to that pack piece. They are also similar to past approaches towards Lifestealer and don't standout.
    However if you guys want to keep the rest of the items, I think you could go for a more diverse color scheme. Everything except that poor old guy seems very plain to me.

I hope I have expressed my thoughts clearly and correctly.
    Cheers
  • phobalien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    Wow! I have no words to describe how creative and well executed the back piece is.

But as for the rest of the set,Although they are perfectly executed, I see nothing special about them and can't see how the rest of the set works with the back piece.
    I mean yes he was a prisoner and all, but I think with such a legendary back piece, you guys could at least go for things that relate to the back piece. To me it feels like the designer had a perfect idea for the back piece, and then just filled the rest of the sluts but then again they don't much relate to that pack piece. They are also similar to past approaches towards Lifestealer and don't standout.
    However if you guys want to keep the rest of the items, I think you could go for a more diverse color scheme. Everything except that poor old guy seems very plain to me.

I hope I have expressed my thoughts clearly and correctly.
    Cheers

hi man, thanks for the nice words on the ''main piece'' of the set.
    I'll try to share with you some thoughts we had leading to the final model you see here.
    When I started concepting the set, I wanted to have something cool on his back since is the most visible spot. The initial idea was to have a body chained to it, one of his victims. When we went to double check the lore we were very happy to see that we could bend the initial idea to match the lore seamlessly!
    As you noted, perhaps the wizard being eaten by his back is a hell of an idea that can hardly be match by another number of peculiar designs on the armor.
    So the approach for the rest of the set was to stay in lore and just describe a set of chains and torture devices to hold the creature captive. I worked on shape language and volumes changes more than special ideas.
    I tried to execute the overall design in the most professional way as motenai did with the texturing.
    I would say that in the end, for whoever likes it, is going to be a nice set, well executed with a unique key piece. We hope it is enough!

A sad thing though could be that we had to loose the body on the back if the gory idea is a problem for Valve... That would be a shame and I'm thinking hard to find a solution that doesn't imply severed limbs and skinned back while still having the wizard on his back...

I hope you can understand our reasons to act as we did and I thank you again for the comments ;)
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Reza wrote: »
    the designer had a perfect idea for the back piece, and then just filled the rest of the sluts

Those sluts just can't get enough of perfectly designed back pieces!

Amazing work guys, I wish Dota didn't have these terrible problems with the Chinese market. I hope the non-violence version helps you out in getting it ingame because it's so well done. Dat back piece blending.