Home General Discussion

Need help choosing computer!!!

Hi

I am an aspiring 3D animator/vfx artist

I am planning on attending university in the next year.

Before now, my only requirements for buying a computer have been price and average specs.

I need answers to a few questions and I thought this would be the best place to post it considering the amount of 3d artists and whatnot here.

So here are my questions...

1 Laptop or desktop?

I understand desktops are cheaper and laptops are portable. But I need to know how often, you really need to move your work around when in university?
I am obviously buying a comp/laptop in the hopes of it lasting a good 5-10 years so I need to keep post-university in mind too.

2 Next, what kind of graphic card do I need?

From my limited understanding of these programs and the whole animation scene, a graphic card is what allows you to render images/scenes and the better it is the faster/better? the render.

So I need to know whether I need a good graphic card or an extremely dedicated one as I can imagine 3d work might put a strain on the usual card.

3 Render farms/Cloud based rendering?

Okay so I don't have any work/nor can I produce anything worth rendering on farms right now. But I need to know if my computer can have lesser specs because these render farms exist or are they only used by companies/studios.

4 how much ram and what kind of processor?

I know this is a lot of questions but I really need to know how much each of these components affect workflow and whatnot.

I am not very rich but I have been saving up for a few years. My limit is around $1500.

Any recommendations/tips are extremely helpful.

Thank you

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Which uni are you planning or going to attend?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. Build your own desktop.

2. Mid range GPUs are fine, newer is better because they are more likely to be supported by newer APIs like DX12. The GPU basically handles real-time visuals (like a game engine or view port). GPUs can also do some parallel processing for things like baking AO and Normal Maps, but GPU compute is not widely supported or used.

3. Render farms are only useful if you need to render a out a lot of frames in a short deadline. They aren't useful for game engines or real-time work.

4. 8 gigs at least, and as many cores as possible, as long as it fits in your budget.

This is my thrown together in 10 minutes build for that budget, just showing you the specs you can get if you build it yourself.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($326.75 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial V4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.95 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($135.76 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($135.76 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1459.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 23:17 EST-0500

That build is $1088.97 without the OS and monitors. You should be able to get a huge student discount on Windows 7 or 8.
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JadeEyePanda

I recently moved to canada from the us a few months ago, so i'm still looking around
    but universities like emily carr/sfu are on my list.

@ZacD

1. Don't know how and right now I'm focusing on getting my portfolio together.
    2. didn't understand much after the first sentence. I know what gpu compute is but why is it not supported and what is supported in its place?
    3. Got it. So basically your computer needs to be able to render.
    4. I undertand more cores=better, how many do you use?

and thank you so so much

Also I live in Canada so the prices on Amazon are jacked up extremely high and online ordering is almost non-existent compared to the US.

Damn, now i have to learn stuff about video cards/storage/cpus in order to understand what each of them mean when working in 3d. And i only have a couple of days b4 christmas sales are gone.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. It's like adult legos, it's very easy, and hard to mess up. You just need to watch one in depth video to be able to put one together yourself.

2. Basically normally your CPU does compute work and your GPU does real-time graphics work. There's some applications and situations where your GPU can do compute work, and it is much faster, but the application has to support GPU compute. Most renders like Mental Ray and Vray have limit support for GPU rendering, and will mostly use your CPU, and take a lot of time to product a single image.

3. If you are a company or do freelance work that requires rendered animations, render farm services aren't worth it.

4. My new computer has i7 5930k (I got a deal on it, would of got a 5820k otherwise), 12 threads, 6 cores. Intel processors have better single core performance when compared to AMD processors so in non-multithreaded tasks they are a lot snappier. AMD processors have better performance per dollar in pure multithreaded applications, so if I wanted to build a pure render farm I'd probably go with them.

PC part picker has a Canada option, that build I posted previously is $1666.65 in Canada, I probably could get a very similar build under budget.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Here's a quick $1500 CAD build, but I'll need to play with it more, had to remove the SSD and a HDD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($365.89 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($65.05 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($82.66 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.89 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($369.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($37.95 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($175.65 @ Amazon Canada)
    Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($175.65 @ Amazon Canada)
    Total: $1499.67
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-22 23:34 EST-0500
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah!

So your gpu is basically your non-rendered view and your cpu renders it. Wow thanks, that really clears it up.

You've definitely got me sold on building my own desktop if I were to get a desktop.

Do you have a laptop and do you ever use it?

And do you work at a studio or freelance?

And when in university (if you attended) did you need a laptop often for classes?

From what I'm understanding here's what you need to have:

-Average graphic card (so that your viewport runs smoothly)
    -fast cpu for better computing/rendering
    -and more ram for what exactly?

and one more thing.

What screen size do you prefer for your desktop and a laptop?

Can you just work fine in 15.6 in or is it much better to have 17 inch?

And once again, thank you for your time :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I had a laptop during uni. Never effectively used for game development work. At best, an excuse to have Photoshop lying around, or access to the internet. Most of the classes that required notes from me, I used paper. Rarely did the classes I took at the University of Southern California require a computer that I needed to bring. Either it was provided, or paper was fine. These were mostly for General Education courses, the typical read book, attend lectures, attend discussions, etc.

Laptop is useful for word processing and internet exploring. At best, running low-end games. A rule of thumb understanding is that you get max power from a desktop, NOT a laptop.

RAM can be conceptualized as "How much stuff can you be running at once on your desktop?" instead of storage (A regular hard drive). High RAM is almost a necessity for work station computers.

From my experience, 17" is unnecessary for a laptop screen. Go under if you can. You sacrifice mobility and ease of carry by going any higher than a 15".
  • eCupcakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCupcakes polycounter lvl 4
    AUSTRALIAN HERE -

if you want to save cash, i recommend build your own desktop. if you have around 1.5k, you can go for a cheaper custom build laptop. for me i studied with a laptop priced around $1700 for 4 years, but i'm lucky enough to have had a really great paying part time job to fund my studies. i know everyone is not as fortunate :(

to be honest, if your teaching facility has computer labs that allow you to do your work after hours( like my university did), you won't need a laptop build that much. yes it's convenient to have your own build with you at all times, i used to find quiet spots in certain study places at uni to focus on my work.but as long as school computer labs give you access to required software, there won't be much of a problem.

i recently ordered a custome build laptop from metabox(clevo makes em)

from australian retailer http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/contents/en-us/d489_metabox-clevo-p650se-laptop-notebook.html - clevo is known to make well built laptops for gaming and professionals without the branded price. i built it for the purpose of doing zbrush/mudbox modelling + texturing + illustration/concept art work.

i customized to following hardware/ OS

Operating system: Windows 8.1 - 64-bit with DVD and drivers (A$99.00)
    Screen type: 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 LED/LCD screen Matte
    Crucial mSATA slot 1 or 256GB Plextor M5 Pro SSD drive(comes with base price)
    1Tb WD 2.5" SATA Notebook Hard Drive 8Mb Scorpio Blue WD10JPVX 9.5mm high ($89)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 6GB GDDR5 graphics (A$169.00)
    Processor: i5-4200M Dual Core CPU 2.5GHz up to 3.1GHz (A$-60.00)
    RAM memory: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (2 x 8GB)
    Optical drive: Dual Layer DVD+/-R/W optical drive
    Wireless WiFi: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth v4.
    Specifications: HD Web Cam, Mic, built-in 2 x Onkyo speakers, subwoofer, SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB3, 3 x USB 3.0 (eSATA), 1 x USB 2.0, Firewire, Card reader, HDMI, Mini Display port, S/PDIF, Fingerprint reader, Colour backlit keyboard, LAN, AC Adaptor 180W, 8-cell battery.

overall the price was up to $1827 including tax.

don't know where you are in the world but seriously SHOP FOR HARDWARE PRICES. online sites tend to be cheaper and with bigger range, but occasionally you'll find bargains on some facebook groups/ craiglist like websites/ ebay. metabox does have some builds for less than $1500 but i don't know how much the pricing is for 8gb ram.

i7 seems to be a good go, but i'm currently on i5. no huge issues here.

also, don't bother about getting a HUGE msata ssd( they are priceyyyyy!). you could do with a crucial msata with enough space to install your os and essential work programs eg zbrush/ cs6 . all my other data and installs go onto my second drive( which is a cheaper 1tb mechanical HD)

good luck with your build!
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so I have been looking around and reading tons of articles on computer parts. Here are a few more questions I have:

Can you please list these in the order of importance for an animator?

- RAM
    - SSD Drive
    -Graphics card
    -processor

so i will know where the money should go.

@ecupcakes thanks for the info and build. just a quick question. You really didn't put any money into your processor but you put much more emphasis on the ram. Doesn't the processing determine the speed of your renders? and in that case how do you render stuff?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can "render" out animations in almost real time using viewport shaders, especially if you are just showing off animation work (like in a portfolio). If you are doing work for as freelance or for a studio, you might have to render them out.

8 gigs of ram should be enough, I'd make sure you have room to upgrade though. If you are doing a lot of multitasking, video rendering, and heavy work in Zbrush, 16 gigs would be worth it.

SSD is nice, it really speeds up the restarting of your computer, and the opening of large files and apps, but it doesn't make actually working in an application any faster.

Graphics card, I'd just suggest getting the GTX 970, great card, newest from Nvidia, should work great in any application or game engine.

Processor really depends on how much you are rendering and baking. If you aren't doing too much, and i5 has just as good of single core performance as an i7.
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... I am actually not sure what I would be doing since I started recently and I have yet to go to uni let alone work for studios etc.

So here's my general build and I will posts specs later:

8gb ram upgradable
    No ssd

gtx 970 or quadro cards?

how do cuda cores help?
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I spent loads of time researching and I have a finished build.
    I would really like to know your thoughts on it and whether it will be good enough for 3d work in maya/zbrush/cinema4d/houdini

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Memory Express)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($164.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.75 @ Vuugo)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($34.95 @ Vuugo)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1507.83

With a monitor, it should be around $1600-$1700

Overall Specs:

-4ghz Quadcore
    -16 gb RAM
    -1 TB harddrive (no ssd)
    -GTX 970 4gb
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't get a sound card, if you aren't happy with the audio quality from your motherboard, you should get an external DAC. Lately motherboard manufacturers have been putting more effort into their built in audio, so unless you have $100+ audiophile grade headphones (not Bose or Beats), your better off spending that money elsewhere. I'd really suggest getting a second hard drive to use for constant backups so you don't lose any data from a drive failure.

I'd still suggest checking out Microsoft's student discounts for the OS. In the US it's $30 cheaper on their online store.
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I will look into a student discount for the OS.

A quick question, do you overclock your cpu at all? and if so, do i need to pick a motherboard that provides better overclocking?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That's a good motherboard for overclocking, it's really easy to do and can really boost your performance. With that heat sink and processor, you won't be able to do any extremely large overclocks, and with the 4790K already at 4.0ghz. You'll only going to get up to about 4.7 ghz, there isn't a huge room for overclocking, but it's easy enough that it's worth the effor.
  • S0NOfG0D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $329.98 @ DirectCanada
    **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $30.98 @ DirectCanada
    **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97extreme6ac) | $219.95 @ Vuugo
    **Memory** | [Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/team-memory-txd316g2400hc10qdc01) | $164.98 @ Newegg Canada
    **Storage** | [Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca100) | $58.98 @ Newegg Canada
    **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970ixoc4gd) | $349.99 @ NCIX
    **Case** | [NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-caph410w1) | $109.99 @ Memory Express
    **Power Supply** | [EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr) | $104.99 @ NCIX
    **Optical Drive** | [Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-optical-drive-sh224dbbebe) | $17.75 @ Vuugo
    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | $98.98 @ DirectCanada
    | | **Total**
    | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1486.57
    | Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-24 20:06 EST-0500 |

OKAY so here's my final build.

I removed the wifi card/sound card and added in a motherboard which includes those 2 and supports overclocking so the overall price should go down and i can probably get the case locally for $90. I only included one hard drive and no ssd to keep the price down and there is space if I ever need more hdd/ssd.

How do you think my setup can handle a 4k monitor? (not that I can afford one)
    and do think I should replace the power supply with a cheaper one?

My estimated voltage is around 350 so im not sure whether the rest of the 400 volts that the power supply is capable of just goes to waste or whether 350 is just the estimated minimum voltage.
  • eCupcakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCupcakes polycounter lvl 4
    S0NOfG0D wrote: »
    @ecupcakes thanks for the info and build. just a quick question. You really didn't put any money into your processor but you put much more emphasis on the ram. Doesn't the processing determine the speed of your renders? and in that case how do you render stuff?

haha you're right. i was going to get an i7 but i don't necessarily need it as i don't do much actual rendering work. i'm mostly a 2d artist who dabbles in mudbox/zbrush to do sculpting(for non modelling purposes) but i won't be rendering anything.