Home Technical Talk

UV Script Tutorial Not Understanding

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
I have a UV Tutorial using a script, I'm having a hard time understanding, at this point, two of the steps in the tutorial with regards to the script. I'm hoping someone can install the script and read the tutorial and help me make sense of it ?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'd be really useful if you posted a link to the tutorial, the script and tell us what the software you're using is and which step of the tutorial you're having issues with.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    It'd be really useful if you posted a link to the tutorial, the script and tell us what the software you're using is and which step of the tutorial you're having issues with.

I don't know whether I should post an image of the tutorial, can I email you the tutorial ?
    [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/[Imgur](<a href=http://i.imgur.com/YOufh2H.jpg target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/YOufh2H.jpg</a>)[/IMG]
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If you want help with an issue you need to post a lot more detail than you currently have. Why would anyone care about such a vague problem? You don't even say what software you're using, what the name of the script is, what the script does exactly, no link to the tutorial, no explanation of what the steps you find troubling are, no summary of what you've tried so far and how that doesn't work...

You can't expect someone to email you personally and help you figure stuff like that out (and unless the tutorial is poorly written you should be able to figure it out). Posting on a public forum is better because when other people run into the same issue they can find the previous solution through a search; posting isn't necessarily to help you specifically, but anyone with that problem.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand the first two steps of the tutorial, specifically the first step from the words "If we..."
    YOufh2H.jpg
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To my surprise after posting what was required I got no replies. I assume no one understands them-self ?
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    It's basically a convoluted way of saying "avoid distorted UVs by making sure they are similar in shape as the polygons." The more compressed or stretched UVs are relative to the polygon they represent, the more or less texel density you will have. For instance, if you have a square polygon, you'd want a square UV shell if possible. You would then want to match the same size of each shell with all other shells. Another example being, if you have two polygons of the exact same size, the UV shells should also be the same scale.

Most UV shells will have SOME distortion unless they are simple hard surface shapes. You just have to use your best judgment when it comes to shell distortion versus ease of texturing.

Here's an example of what I mean. The ear piece is perfectly round on the model but in the UVs it's a little distorted.

aide_diffuse_shot_by_tsabszy-d7ipvxn.jpg
    Image by tsabszy
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon wrote: »
    It's basically a convoluted way of saying "avoid distorted UVs by making sure they are similar in shape as the polygons." The more compressed or stretched UVs are relative to the polygon they represent, the more or less texel density you will have. For instance, if you have a square polygon, you'd want a square UV shell if possible. You would then want to match the same size of each shell with all other shells. Another example being, if you have two polygons of the exact same size, the UV shells should also be the same scale.

Most UV shells will have SOME distortion unless they are simple hard surface shapes. You just have to use your best judgment when it comes to shell distortion versus ease of texturing.

Here's an example of what I mean. The ear piece is perfectly round on the model but in the UVs it's a little distorted.

aide_diffuse_shot_by_tsabszy-d7ipvxn.jpg
    Image by tsabszy

I understand what you mean, but how does the script interpolate all this and what is meant by the explanations, especially the first two steps of the tutorial ? I must have tried this tutorial numerous times to get an understand without any success !
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't really answer how the script works it magic. Step one is all about making sure you have a uniform resolution across all your UV shells, while step two seems to be about configuring Maya's UV Texture Editor grid to work with how Mari interprets UV tiles (as explained in step 4).
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't really answer how the script works it magic. Step one is all about making sure you have a uniform resolution across all your UV shells, while step two seems to be about configuring Maya's UV Texture Editor grid to work with how Mari interprets UV tiles (as explained in step 4).

In Step 1 of the tutorial how do you figure out the correct pixel density ?

When following the tutorial and creating a cube and setting the pixel per centimeter to 204 the cube shell shrinks, in that case the first step of the tutorial mentions that the pixel density was off and would need adjusting, how do you calculate the adjustment ?
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I can't be of much more help, as I've never used UVDeluxe really, but I think you might be over-thinking the tutorial. The value 204 seems pretty arbitrary. If you weren't following a tutorial you would determine your own pixel density based on the requirements of your project, similarly to how you would decide on the DPI of a Photoshop project.

The shells change in size because they are being adjusted to the pixels per centimeter (PPC) that you defined with UVDeluxe (204). If a shell shrinks it means that shell covered an area that was more than 204 PPC; if the shell grows, it had a lower PPC than 204. You could enter any value as long as all the shells are occupying the same uniform area and are able to fit into whatever UV region you intend to fit it into.

Your pixel density is easiest to visualize by applying a checker pattern to your model. If the checkers are all the same size across your entire 3D model, then you have a uniform pixel density. If there are sections that have huge or tiny checkers compared to other areas, then your pixel density is not uniform. You can enter a PPC of 1 or 1000, it won't matter. As long as the checkers are all the same size uniformly, your shells all have the same pixel resolution.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I can't be of much more help, as I've never used UVDeluxe really, but I think you might be over-thinking the tutorial. The value 204 seems pretty arbitrary. If you weren't following a tutorial you would determine your own pixel density based on the requirements of your project, similarly to how you would decide on the DPI of a Photoshop project.

The shells change in size because they are being adjusted to the pixels per centimeter (PPC) that you defined with UVDeluxe (204). If a shell shrinks it means that shell covered an area that was more than 204 PPC; if the shell grows, it had a lower PPC than 204. You could enter any value as long as all the shells are occupying the same uniform area and are able to fit into whatever UV region you intend to fit it into.

Your pixel density is easiest to visualize by applying a checker pattern to your model. If the checkers are all the same size across your entire 3D model, then you have a uniform pixel density. If there are sections that have huge or tiny checkers compared to other areas, then your pixel density is not uniform. You can enter a PPC of 1 or 1000, it won't matter. As long as the checkers are all the same size uniformly, your shells all have the same pixel resolution.

How can you calculate the exact PPC ? Applying a checker pattern to a model won't tell me the PPC, there must be a way to calculate the exact PPC !
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how to calculate the exact PPC, sorry. What is your specific need to know how to calculate it? Frankly, UV mapping doesn't need to be as complex as you are making it out to be. From what I can see of that tutorial, it does a terrible job explaining why you need to do the things it's telling you to do.

Knowing a precise PPC value is not necessary, at least from my perspective of developing assets for games. Maybe it's different for film, but no one else is really chipping in to say otherwise.

Here's some simple steps for preparing UV shells for texturing, without any overly technical mumbo jumbo:

1. Make sure all the UV shells are the same resolution (either manually or let a script resize everything for you)
    2. Fit them into the appropriate UV region (scale up or down to fill this region if necessary)
    3. Generate your texture maps at your desired map size (1K, 2K, 4K, etc.) in your software of choice
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The script is suppose to create near perfect UV shells for multi-tile UV mapping. I have contacted the author and I would love if he would reply on this thread because a few weeks ago I got a reply, he asked me to ask the questions I wanted to know and I did just that, since then I haven't heard back from him.

I don't think many would wait as long as I did to understand this script; I've run the tutorial by a few people they came to the same conclusion as yourself; although I was informed by I may have to speak to someone who knows more technical aspect of UV mapping, the parts most simply ignore.

There must be a mathematical formula behind calculating the PPC and entering that into the ratio value so everything works out perfectly. You could say the author of the tutorial did not write it very well, there are alot of holes.