Home General Discussion

Max to Modo is it a good idea?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
I am currently using a student copy of Max for 2 years now and I am starting to consider Modo as an alternative. I would really love to know if it would be wise to move on to modo. From what I have seen the tools seem solid, fast and very capable, so I would love some input from others on this.

Replies

• beefaroni
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Try modo and decide yourself. I replaced Max with modo since its first version and i don't regret it. At the beginning modo can be very frustrating, but that happens with every new app we want to learn, and it's because you may be customed to Max, Maya, Blender, etc.

Anyways, there are some minor things that i need to do in Max or Maya.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    If you don't use splines and modifier stack.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, you learn quickly to work without the modifier stack. I don't even think about it anymore.

EDIT : I mean, everything is a compromise. Using Max is great if you don't want to use MeshFusion, rounded edge shaders that bake into your normal map, or an easily customizable UI that you can tune to your exact workflow. :P
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I would recommend is not to try and force your Max workflow onto Modo. Try and get used the Modo workflow, it'll make things easier in the long run.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox wrote: »
    If you don't use splines and modifier stack.

I like how Snefer gets his piping curves off a solid instead of using Modo's simple tubing tool (simple when compared to Max's spline tools).
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    I like how Snefer gets his piping curves off a solid instead of using Modo's simple tubing tool (simple when compared to Max's spline tools).

there's also a seneca script that creates tubing on the path of the selected edges. Alongside beveling and deleting inward polys and making tubes out of remaining corner polys, I saw him using that 'makepipe'(or somthing else) script too.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I used maya in school, and liked it. Then I used max professionally for 2 years, and thought that was a big improvent over maya, and that I had found "the perfect app!". Then I bought MODO for my personal use, and once I got over the first initial frustrating steps with any new app, I have simply loved everything (98%) about it.

I can definitely recommend it. Everything feels so stiff and slow when you back to other applications after having been in MODO. We use Max at work here, and I catch myself thinking "I could have done this SO easily in MODO" several times every single day, at different stages of production.

Get demo. Try it.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys I've been away so I haven't had much time to look at this but you have definitely got me intrigued into trying modo
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    igi wrote: »
    there's also a seneca script that creates tubing on the path of the selected edges. Alongside beveling and deleting inward polys and making tubes out of remaining corner polys, I saw him using that 'makepipe'(or somthing else) script too.

It's funny, but I personally, rarely used max splines to create tubes. I used it to create... arches! Gothic, Moorish, Moroccan, and other similar, which are not simply half circle.

And that is one thing I find quite difficult to do in modo.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I've been mainly a Maya user for a few years now, I'm still back and forth about what to switch to between Blender and Modo (learning a new app can be pretty time consuming, so its important to weigh up what you really want to go with.) I've only really been through the basics of what Modo can do, but it seems like it has a lot of potential!
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    iniside wrote: »
    It's funny, but I personally, rarely used max splines to create tubes. I used it to create... arches! Gothic, Moorish, Moroccan, and other similar, which are not simply half circle.

And that is one thing I find quite difficult to do in modo.

Check for fallofs, you can create many different arc shapes out of a polygon strip by using fallofs and then convert the outer edges to open curve and then use curve extrude to extrude along the curve with a 2d polygonal shape (or use profiles).
    Modeling in modo mostly requires a different mindset, better to adapt it's own ways instead of emulating the app you migrated from, it's still possible to use curves effectively even though not that non-destructive as 3dsmax.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I think the single largest issue I've had with Modo is community support. It's fairly easy for a dumb issue to crop up, like accidentally pressing some hotkey and breaking the viewport (I recently managed to accidentally activate Falloff, preventing me from being able to transform anything, and it took a few hours to figure out).
    When I first started using it, it took me two weeks just to figure out how to get it to properly bake and export maps. The Luxology forums are a wasteland.

With Max/Maya everyone and their mother uses it so documentation and guides are everywhere, and Blender has an absolutely massive and helpful community.

Even decent tutorials for Modo have been relatively hard for me to find outside Digital Tutors (a site which I really don't like).

Other than that, I do really like it. Maybe there's a better community site for Modo than the official forums that I just don't know about.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Right here...
    Group - Modo for game dev on Facebook
    Group - Luxology modo on Facebook

I wouldn't really consider Facebook a place for constructive discussion. More just news updates.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I wish more studios used Modo. I think it's better than Max and Maya
  • fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fandiwhuang polycounter lvl 9
    Modo is great program !! Do it !!
    make sure you install vertex normal kit and other handy script :D
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am using max at home and modo at work and it looks like I get same things done a lot better in modo. For instance, you can model and unwrap and add hard edges at the same time while in max you have to add unwrapping modifier and when it is on you cant model. However max feels more precise to me and modifier stack is the ultimate thing which I really love. Anyway I guess modo is a really awesome app and can save a lot of time

PS. yeah and dont forget to get some scripts like you would do with max
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I've been really interested in modo for the longest time, not least as a cheaper option over my trusty old 3dsmax and xsi, but because I used Lightwave professionally for years too and always liked Brad and crew's approach to things. I did try 401 way back but was never able to find time to try a proper switch.

My main question though, is how well does it deal with bigger pipelines? My hesitance to switch fully to it over learning maya more comprehensively, is that I'll still need something with a fully featured, production-ready rigging and animation tool kit, and something that has solid options for scene and rig referencing, multi-artist collaboration, and general game-engine ready tools.

I talked to a former modo evangelist over the summer and he alluded to it not being up to scratch for some things still (issues with smoothing, etc) and that in terms of feature set maya and max still cater better to production needs.

And on that note, is modo used much in studios outside of just being a modeler that people export out of for another package to rig/animate?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Can any of the Max/Maya users that have switched over to Modo briefly comment on what they are liking in comparison to their previous apps? I am interested to know how this has effected your workflow. Have some free time so am currently learning the basics of the app and getting to grips with it :)
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Has anyone here moved from Blender to Modo?

From a brief look at the UI of Modo it seems closer to Blender than Max or Maya does.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Can anyone give a quick rundown on the way updates are handled? How often for what cost? What about plugin compatibility?
    How does Modo deal with large scenes? (Let's say 20 million polies and hundreds of objects.)
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Thx a lot! Not the kind of scenes I was thinking about, though. These Rage scenes are highly optimized for interactivity anyway. (Though other softwares might not support the Megatextures). I was asking more from a HP background because I heard of some people who had problems with larger scenes in the past and I see some updates meant to adress that.
    "Updates are free.
    I guess what I really meant was upgrades. So are those free, too, from now on? (That would be awesome, of course and a huge point for a purchase. Unfortunately not very likely.)

How quickly are the plugins updated for new releases usually? Including minor ones.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    AFAIK upgrades, e.g. from 701 to 801 are not free. You have to pay for them, but if you decide that you don't want a particular upgrade because you feel it doesn't have much to offer you, you can skip that upgrade without having to pay more for the next upgrade after that. Upgrade price is usually a little less than half the price of a new license and is typically discounted 20% during sales.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    The Foundry also do periodic sales, where they knock 40% of the full price (and 20% of upgrades as Jed mentioned), they're currently doing one now, but it ends in about 3 and a half hours. They usually do them round christmas time and round release of the next version. And I believe that, just before the release of the next version, they offer a free upgrade if you buy a new seat of the current version, so when 901 is close to release, they might offer a free upgrade to that for anyone who buys 801.

I think plugins are usually updated within a week or so.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Damn. Considering more and more about switching from Max to Modo. It will probably happen for me in the next year.

I think Autodesk has really shot themselves in the foot with their pricing and lack of development regarding upgrades.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    You should check out the trial, some of the features are really nice - when I learned more about the workplane I was like.... Damn, this is mental! It has some great tools, didn't used to like the UI at first but it's really growing on me. :O The hardest bit is trying to transition and get upto speed with a new app, but it seems worthwhile :)

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback Tidal!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Just like Substance Designer/Painter, Modo is part of a new generation of 3D softwares.

Not to derail the topic, im just curious what the big deal is with painter.
    I bought it, and I dont get it. What am I missing?
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Somebody should do quick yet solid tutorials on gumroad for transitioning from Max/Maya to Modo. I bet people (myself including) would be throwing money at the screen.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Torch that workplane is still so alien...
    Somebody should do quick yet solid tutorials on gumroad for transitioning from Max/Maya to Modo. I bet people (myself including) would be throwing money at the screen.
    Yeah this would be handy!

After taking it for a short spin, do people not model so much in the "planar" modelling method, where you extrude polygons from edges? I know it's been said to try not to use your "previous methods" and instead do the Modo way, but planar modelling (rather than box) is how I work in Max...
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    What makes the workplane alien? It is just... sexy!! :)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    I know it's been said to try not to use your "previous methods" and instead do the Modo way, but planar modelling (rather than box) is how I work in Max...

Uhh, you can extrude edges into faces or bridge edges in Modo. Check out the edge tabbed tools. You don't have to necessarily model or even use sub-d.

Two things foremost, if coming from Max, to get used to is "dropping tool" concept in Modo and the fact that there's no modifier stack.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Uhh, you can extrude edges into faces .

Right.
    I just hadn't found "Extend" as I thought "Extrude" would do what I wanted.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Fomori wrote: »
    Right.
    I just hadn't found "Extend" as I thought "Extrude" would do what I wanted.

the default Extend command in Modo is awful imo. There is Seneca's script which makes it into a proper tool. It's called Bevelittle. Also there's a script which makes it work like Maya - @y_extrude.py.

Google them.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'm doing the transition from Maya to Modo.. is there any way to change the selection to be like Maya? clicking a component and then double clicking the one after it will select the loop, double clicking in between two selected components will select only in between etc etc..using the L for looping and the up arrow to grow the selection is slow!
    Also, is there a cutting tool in Modo like the one in Maya MTK? 1 tool lets you cut from any component and by middle mouse clicking you can cut loops
    And recommendation for must have scripts and plugins are appreciated :]
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I'll try to be brief.

Basically, substance designer allows you to bake, but more importantly to use a nodal-scripting system to build intelligent materials (aka Substances). That allows the user to build a system to create a texture, add parameters within the system that can be either tweaked in substance designer, substance painter or a game engine. And with one system you can output to all channels (diffuse, metallic, roughness, etc.). You can use your diffuse and branch it out to 20 other nodes if you need. And if you have changes to make, you don't have to redo the whole thing in photoshop. You just change a node and it changes all the rest. So if you are building a game, you can change one node to change all the other textures in the game. It's a very powerful way to do game texturing.

And then in Substance painter, instead of painting with blue color, you can paint with a substance material. So not only you can paint all your channels at once, but you can also tweak them depending of the substance your are using. It's crazy.

Thanks a lot, Tidal.
    Would you say it has any place in a stylized workflow?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    When it comes to modelling/UV's, Modo is my first choice.
    That being said, I usually fall back to Max when its time to bake some input maps.
    Baking in Modo always feels like a hack.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8

They actually have an official video set for those transitioning from Max to Modo.

Its the first set on: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/learn/
    "This tutorial series shows the unique benefits that MODO offers a 3ds Max user. If you're looking to expand your toolset, MODO makes creating digital content easier no matter what package you’re currently using. "
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I've seen them a while ago but it was very limited and felt sparse and fairly random. They touched on important stuff like dropping the object but after finishing I don't feel any smarter than when I started. :/
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's getting there. Look at all the chatter about MODO these days on Polycount. A few years ago, nobody said a word.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I'm trialling it atm and the I am finding some of the tool amazing. But I am kind of upset that its not a non-destructive workflow like Max with modifier stacks
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I think it's getting there. Look at all the chatter about MODO these days on Polycount. A few years ago, nobody said a word.

If Luxology/Foundry play their cards right, and really reach out while developing with game artist in mind... I wouldnt be surprised if the number of user's skyrocketed. But I agree, it feels like its catching on here on PC.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    That sounds pretty easy to do, as scripts go. I'm not really a Max person, so perhaps you could elaborate on what it is you need?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blazed wrote: »
    Yeah that's the only reason why I haven't jump onto modo already, if i have to be good at a software I would want it to be a popular one used throughout the industry and studios.

I just don't know why AD would remove the traditional layer management buttons, in fact the buttons are still in the software if you right click on the tool bar and pick it but you can't actually dock it into the layer manager tab and if you try to select objects and click another layer it deselects your objects.

Are they intentionally try to get users to hate 3ds max?

Got to buy some sort of layer script now, anyone know any good ones for free maybe?

I think the best approach is to get familiar with the "popular software", know how to use it, but move to Modo knowing full well you can use Max/Maya if the job calls for it, otherwise take Modo with you or push it into as many pipelines as possible.

The only way to make software more popular is to use it and let others see you using it. If its good, the desire for others to use it will spread. Modo is good software.

As for 3ds Max. Tbh I think they eventually plan to migrate users over to Maya and will use any means necessary to make that happen (without stirring the hornets nest if possible). For their long term plans I wouldnt be surprised if they see more profit in maintaining one major software package instead of 2-3.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly hope they make Maya more Max user friendly, if they discontinue max, I will eventually move to Modo fully, but I am still trying to get over the fact that there is no modifier stack and that its not non-destructive.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I actually grew increasingly annoyed with the modifier stack and found myself regularly collapsing everything, especially since I had to assign every hotkey twice (for editable poly and edit poly modifier).

But I work the same in Photoshop. Once I have piled up several layers, trying to keep things nondestructive actually starts slowing me down and i need to merge/delete some to free myself up again.

I am not saying that it wasn't a useful feature, in some cases it was extremely beneficial. But there were some downsides for me as well :D
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I don't miss the modifier stack. Embrace the loss and move on. :)
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    You can use the CreaseSet modifier under an Opensubdiv to controll all edge creases, create sets, etc. Works much better than in Maya and you can combine objects without losing your sets.