Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Neon Strike Vi

Replies

• Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Yaaaaaaay retoping!!! Her face is super dense, but when it's all finished I'll go over it and clean it up! :)

10616162_10205380476060433_8842489990808968130_n.jpg?oh=d68e0ccb2eab26634650dd998375f6c9&oe=54EBDC88&__gda__=1423953468_3e4b7c404e06f9f91a6d282e9e997f89
  • Enalya
    Looking great Layna, keep it up :) I especially love her hair color and how it's lighter at the points.

Are you retoping in 3Dcoat? It's the step I haven't been through yet, so I'd like to hear about people their workflow.
  • Perzik
    Offline / Send Message
    Perzik polycounter lvl 5
    Keep it up !! Can't wait to see the texture !
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Great improvement, she's looking super sweet and I love the hair :) Can't wait to see it done!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    WOO! Alright, finally...retop is finished, unwrap is finished, now I need to spend some time packing it correctly!
    It looks like after everything is baked and textured I will go back and make the legs longer as well as add some more polys to round out some edges (^・o・^)ノ”

NVi_retop5.jpg?1415852619

NVi_retop4.jpg?1415852616
  • Lazar
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Enalya- Thank you very much! Yep, I'm using 3D coat! I used to use Nex but 3D coat seems a lot more fun and easy to use. Sometimes it gets hard to see but for the most part it's very quick. It has a lot of handy tools are well to get the job done!

Perzik- Thank you! Kind of scared for the texturing part :(

Zaphk- thank you very much, that means a lot :) I'm actually really glad I ended up going back to the original design. I was having a lot of trouble with the other hair ;__;

TeriyakiStyle - You're silly lol. We have almost a month left :P
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    TeriyakiStyle-

Contest starts October 12th, 2014 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (PT)
    The deadline for entries is December 19th, 2014 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (PT)
    Winners will be announced and posted on Polycount on January 30th, 2015 at 12:01 AM Pacific Time (PT)

xD
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice retop! I love using 3D Coat as well. Such great progress on her, can't wait to see some textures.
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    erroldynamic- Thank you! I used to use Nex then learned 3DCoat..never going back! :P
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    <3 I love your work, can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • goicaue
    Offline / Send Message
    goicaue polycounter lvl 9
    Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see texture coming out.
  • sagarart
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Saawweeeeet!
    So after making a handful of mistakes, i.e baking..painting..rebaking..repacking..reuving..lol... I finally got it..haha!
    Her bakes are finished, now to clean up all the gross mess on there and start painting!!
    Huzzah! ヾ(=゚・゚=)ノ This will be my first handpainted character...so I'm super nervous...O__O; Pheww..really nervous..

8945_10205471267770169_3045934802241824784_n.jpg?oh=646e2f0bb6a793621f9107070af2af2a&oe=54DFB6B0
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Tits- Thank you ;___; That means a lot coming from you!!

Goicaue- Thank you very much! I'm anxious to see if I can make it fly for even passable textures...

sagarart- thank you!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    She looks great, and the baking comes out well too!!
    First hand-painted character for you and me both ^^
    Cheeers to how mine will come out crappy while yours is top notch.
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    This is getting really good! Great job! Keep going! =D
  • mafubash
    Offline / Send Message
    mafubash polycounter lvl 5
    she's looking great! I can't wait to see her with textures :D
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    bake looks clean! whites are getting blown out a tad but no biggie since you're painting everything. Don't forget a bottom up gradient!
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    She's looking good!
    First hand-painted character for me too.

You can do it!! :)
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Waiting eagerly for updates! :)
  • art.Rishabh
  • andyvargas
    Offline / Send Message
    andyvargas polycounter lvl 5
    wow! looking great!
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    PyrZern -Don't worry man, you will do great :)

karytsukino- Thank you very much!!!

mafubash- Oh man...thank you. I've had your Sejuani piece open for ages, trying my best to study her. I absolutely love that piece and want to do my best to understand how you painted her and try my best to get even a teeny bit close to that level of fabulous. I really look up to your skills!

slosh- Thanks man! I totally agree with that, I'll pump up her AO.

Chantel-sky- Thank you very much! We can do it!

Sukotto- haha! Doing my best to work as fast as I can :D Texturing her is just taking a bit long...;__;

art.Rishabh- thank you very much!!!

andyvargas- Thank you!
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Beginning WIP of Vi's textures!

I finally threw down some base colors and a bit of shading for Vi as a starting point, wanted to take some pictures of where I will be starting for today and take another set of pictures to see where I end the work day! She's got a long way to go! After staring at her for so long I'm also seeing where I should and need to add more geo. Her legs could also be a bit longer. I'm kind of scared of texturing the metal T___T I suppose let's see what happens!

Crits welcome ^_____^

layna-lazar-nvi-texures-02.jpg?1416879368

layna-lazar-nvi-texures-01.jpg?1416879414
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    oh sh*****t this is looking sweet!!!
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Gah! Thank you Tits!! I've been and still am so so so so nervous about doing textures...;______; I reeeeeeeeally hope it turns out okay ^^;;;
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like you're off to a great start!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
  • Enalya
    Doing great, she's really nice to look at already ^^

Some things that cought my eye:
    - The shiny spots on her breasts might be too light; them boobs look a bit balloony. The shadow when they are almost covered by cloth can be darker and more above lighter to make it more natural (this sounds really vague, hope you get it).
    - The circles on her neck armor don't look so round, a bit sharp-edged. Don't know if that's on purpose?
    - Perfect face and hair!
  • SachinCG
    Looks great.. i love hair part
  • Tickwomp
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    /squeal Textures and colors look great!
  • DmitryGrebenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    DmitryGrebenkov polycounter lvl 3
    Hey hey! If you don't mind me to give some crit - boobs looks bit flat and cleavage (that V thingy) looks bit higher than it should be. Neck looks bit too long, but considering game perspective should work good. Metals tho are simple - one soft light from top, 2 strong lights (and reflections) by 45° from front and back :P
    Looking forward to your progress - looks great so far :)
  • ranzcross
    Offline / Send Message
    ranzcross polycounter lvl 7
    Nice Texture and colour scheme !

some room for improvements :
    - back of the hair can be better, in style and sillhoutte, especially when you see from the side.
    - collar stuff at the neck looks funny, because of the circle design, same as the shoulder pads.

other than that good stuff !
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I saw this on your deviantart! And it's already hit pinterest haha. I like it so far.

Dmitry I've been watching your Caitlyn model (and i have its artstation page favorited <3) and I gotta agree with you. I didn't notice the neck problem earlier (so sorry i missed it in my critique Lazaar!) And the metal texturing tip is something I never though of!

Lazaar I can't wait to see your texture fleshed out. It's gonna be quality I know it :)
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I want to see an update on this :(
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    I"m kind of nervous at how she looks right now ;_; So I haven't taken any pictures of her full on. ^^;

I sat down today and worked on my layouts for the finals and am mid-way through her pose. Once that's done I'll spend the next four or so days finalizing her textures..since they still have a long way to go.

Since the last update I ended up changing a few things
    .resculpted her cleavage
    .re-retoped a handful of things on her
    .re-uved
    .rebaked my maps with different settings which ended up a lot nicer than I anticpiated
    .and started my textures over

Sorry for not posting more updates..;__; I hit a point where I'm kind of too scared to post. Just to be honest. Ha ^^;;;;

layna-lazar-nvi-texures-020.jpg?1418452935

Also thank you guys for all of your crits and help, due to those crits I ended up going back and re-evaluating. It needed some tough love!
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Things up next to be worked on:

.Bringing some warmth to her chest and face
    .Make her hair look like...well..hair
    .Finalize the metal and paint in the highlights so they read better
    .Match the gauntlets to the texturing of the boots
    .make her suit look more wet and spandexy
    .finish pose
    .get in that topdown bake

Any crits would be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciated!!!!

layna-lazar-nvi-texures-021.jpg?1418454270
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret polycounter lvl 11
    That face is looking smexy! I am not sure how much time you have put into the outfit so disregard this if you planned on doing this anyway, but the black streaks going throughout her outfit really stand out and to me are too dark. Also you may have addressed in an early post but where did her big super mega popped collar go? =P

looking forward to more updates.
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Lazar, I think she reads a lot better now.
    Did a quick paintover hope you don't mind.
    Basically I think the model could benefit from some hard cast shadows all over and bright highlights for the metals (unless you're going for something more matte). Also add a bit of top-down gradient to ground her better and some hue shifts from the shadows to the light to make her already vibrant colors pop out a bit more.

EDIT:
    Haha saw your edited post and how you're already aware of the things I listed so ignore them.

Can't wait to see this finished :D

uCteMRx.gif
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Turret- Hey thanks man! I'm actually not sure about the collar still..ive had a few people mention that as well but i'm still on the fence. I feel like it looked really weird >.> what do you think? I agree with the blacks, i'll have to go back and see how i can make it look dark without using black!

Polymator- Actually your paint over really helps clarify a lot of things. I was still unsure how and where to put the shadows and highlights so I really appreciate you even taking the time to do that. I'll definitely apply those changes asap!!! Your paint over makes a huge difference. Thank you so much :)
  • Hellstern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    Cleavage looks much better^) I think you can put a slight gradient on her whole figure also (
    Some crits from me, since you asked! ^)
    f8o1eI1.jpg?1
  • Turret
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret polycounter lvl 11
    I think its worth a little effort to try and make it work. It would add to the silhouette and would surround that neck piece helping anchor it and maybe not make it look as out of place. If you look back to one of the versions of Vi's concept you referenced, the one without the collar, the neck piece was very small, basically just more cloth, while the one with the big collar had the big neck armor.

So I would say either add the collar and try to exaggerate that area, or downplay the neck armor a bit. Just my 2 cents. =3
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Oh man I shouldn't have been so scared to post WIPS and done this much sooner! So many badass tips and tricks! Thank you guys!

Hellstern- Dude. Yes. Those shades really make her feel grounded and taking out the blacks actually make her pop out a ton more. Adding more gradients seems like it also makes everything glow and feel like it stands out. Thank you! I'm glad to see all of this now, there's enough time to work on the textures and implement these things in :D yay!

Turret- I'm sold. I took another look at her and my uvs, ill add the collar :)
  • Dantert
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    Good, good! Follow the Hellstern's suggestions and it will look even better :D
    Amazing work so far!
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Oh my god I didn't realize how much time it can take setting up presentation shots!!!!

I am NO graphic designer that's for sure. All you guys make it look easy x____x!!

Ah well. Fixed her up a little in zbrush in prep for the presentation.

Thank you guys again for all your crits and paintovers. Tomorrow I will finish her pose(s?) and make way on making her textures look better! Hopefully I can do them some justice with the last week left!

:)

I need to fix her eyebrow area..looks bulgy and weird lol.

10835348_10205650783537951_2361111890023366939_o.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    I love seeing your progress, so many changes. It's so nice to see your process and the feedback from everyone. Can't wait to see your final presentation!