Home Marmoset

Bright outline

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
Hi, I'm currently working on a portfolio piece and I have an interesting issue.

There is a bright outline where the eyeglasses meets the head. And this is only happening with the skin shader applied.

Do you know why that might happen, and if there is a way to fix it?

The glasses use a lambertian diffusion.
The head use a skin diffusion.
There is one light (a spot with cast shadows, and contact refinement on).

Local reflections, high-res shadows, ambient occlusion and front-face shadows are also on.

Thank you!

jean-pascal-berthiaume-portrait-wip-3.jpg?1441232857

Replies

• EarthQuake
    It's difficult to say by looking at your image. If you care to package up your scene and textures I can take a look at it.

One thing that will probably help is to make sure the sampling is set to a high value in capture settings (ctrl+P), and if so, renders at double resolution and size down in photoshop for better anti-aliasing.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply EarthQuake! Thankfully I was able to pinpoint the issue (it always happen right after asking a question haha).

I thought the issue was coming from the the "shadow blur" setting. But I found out that this setting is dependent on the scale of the object, and therefore the "halo" disappeared after reducing the size of the head.

My head is real-size (around 22cm in Maya), therefore I thought the scale would be fine in marmoset as well. That being said, after opening the reference cube found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/scalecube.obj I noticed that the cube was only 6cm high in maya. To be 6 feet high (180cm), that means that it'd have to be multiplied by 30.

In other words, does everything have to be scaled down each time before exporting to marmoset? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks again! :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    You may want to check the scene scale settings in Toolbag.

You can check the settings for the current scene by clicking Scene in the outliner, and then making sure the units for the scene (and for your object) match what you worked with in Maya. You can also permanently adjust these settings for new scenes in Edit>Preferences.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I wasn't aware it was implanted in Toolbag. Great, thank you!