Home General Discussion

Recruiters? What?

So, I feel like this is going to sound a little weird, and it's not the usual thing people ask about. But I had an interview today with a large company and it went really great. I talked with a recruiter and now we're working on the follow up. The hitch comes from, it's an 18 month contract, and a move across the country to Seattle. I've never worked with a recruiter before, I've always dealt directly with the company and I've been fortunate enough to only have 2 jobs since graduating college (10 years ago). So while I know many of you either freelance or find yourselves changing jobs every few years, this whole process makes me really really nervous.

What I ask of you, gentle Polycounters, is what have your experiences been working with recruiters? Do I have to worry about being taken for a ride? I know that if something isn't in writing it isn't real and I should plan to be out of a job in 18 months if I take this position (regardless of how many times recruiter-man dangles the possibility of being hired on if I'm a good fit). Is being hired through a recruiter like working for a temp agency? I did that once, I didn't like it.

Are my questions too specific without mentioning the company I'm applying for?

Any insight you guys can give would be welcome. Even just what you thought was important when moving a long distance, things to look for and ask about. I'm trying to hedge my bets and make sure I don't end up on the street should everything explode in my face. Thank you all so much.

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I had a good experience over 4 years with Filter.

I would not go back to Aquent, even 5 years after the fact.

A number of my friends have used Yoh and been pleased with it, although they are a very barebones agency and the higher rate you get is offset by a very no-frills support structure.

Since you're going through a contract agency for a Microsoft studio, expect to get taken for a ride on your hourly rate unless you're there for a relatively mid-to-senior level art production position. Everywhere else Microsoft has become notoriously lousy with pay for CSGs. Bad enough, in fact, that they tried to convince me they were doing me a favor by offering me a 1/3rd pay cut for my last contract. I was unconvinced.

I had no choice at the time but left as soon as possible and many others are leaving rapidly as well due to low pay. If you have any way to do so without jeopardizing your hiring, I would lean heavily on your contracting agency to reduce their cut and increase the pass-through to you, without increasing the total billed amount that MS pays.

Also be forewarned that you are jumping into Microsoft at a time of major turmoil and tension with regard to contractors and their role in Microsoft Game Studios. Middle management's handling of the issues raised by the access policy change have been myopic and sluggish, and upper management is deaf and uninterested in the ramifications it will have long-term. Don't just expect an 18 month off-point, plan ahead and have another position ready to roll before the 12 month mark if you can manage it.
  • Tigerfeet
    Wow thank you so much. I've been doing a lot of reading and learned quite a bit about contracting. I'm a lot less excited for this position than I was. Or more accurately I'm feeling a lot more cautious. I had no idea about recruiter rates or anything, and the guy I talked with didn't mention it. Got a list of questions now though. The company seems to get either glowing reviews or dismal ones, which doesn't sound terribly promising, but I still want to move out to Seattle, it just has to be done right.

Thanks again for your insights, they've really helped a lot. I'm going to look into those other companies you mentioned as well.