cwMXWa1iocM.jpg
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Get. Hyped.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ"]World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Cinematic - YouTube[/ame]
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I really liked how they linked it to the Warcraft 3 Orc Campaign cinematic with the shot of Grom against the explosion.

Also kinda interesting where they're taking their cinematic style to in more recent years, probably in preparation for the movie.
  • zicoV
    I havnt played WoW in 8 years and i'm still excited for their cinematics. Good stuff.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Their cinematics are always fucking badass.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    I feel like I am missing a lot of lore to really appreciate the cinematic to its fullest. Like usual Blizzard cinematics look insanely beautiful.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Play WC3! It's only $10 on Blizzard's digital store and it's a fuckin' amazing game.

My wife is playing it right now for the first time and I'm watching her play on our TV (hdmi out) :)

Main characters in cinematic:
    Gul'dan (the corrupted orc)
    Grommash Hellscream (the orc that refuses the drink)
    Garrosh Hellscream (son of Grommash, leader of the Horde in MoP & Cata WoW)
    Mannoroth (the huge demon, responsible for orc corruption on Draenor)
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    That was one fucking amazing cinematic! No surprise from the king of CG shorts.

This is the first cinematic though that story wise I feel you need to have played the previous WoW expansion and RTS games to really understand an appreciate. All the others, even the one with Arthas were totally stand alone.

Still great though and a huge fan service. And as a big fan of all things Warcraft it got me all giddy :)
  • vargatom
    As far as I know the cinematics team won't work on the Warcraft movie, most of the effects are done at ILM(!)
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Yea, the Arthas wotlk cinematic is my all time favorite. To this day I get goosebumps from watching it, and I had very little familiarity with who he was before watching. They did an amazing job introducing him to people who were unfamiliar with his back-story. On that note I am going to go watch it. There is something special about the pacing.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    vargatom wrote: »
    As far as I know the cinematics team won't work on the Warcraft movie, most of the effects are done at ILM(!)

Of course, but I'm guessing they want to keep the style somewhat consistent across the cinematics and the movie.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Fucking awesome cinematic as usual, I am moist with anticipation.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    There are basically only two games that I am excited for their cinematic... WOW, and EVE !!!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Saw a game play video for it today, it looks fantastic! It seems that the workflow is now sculpting then baking AO down to a model rather than the standard low poly then hand paint texture pipeline, I imagine they wouldn't be using anything but diffuse maps for the new update but may be wrong...
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Torch wrote: »
    Saw a game play video for it today, it looks fantastic! It seems that the workflow is now sculpting then baking AO down to a model rather than the standard low poly then hand paint texture pipeline, I imagine they wouldn't be using anything but diffuse maps for the new update but may be wrong...

From my understanding some of the departments moved to this workflow awhile ago. I believe Josh Singh spoke about it at a zbrush event. I think the video is still on ZBC. For anyone who hasn't tried it I highly recommend it. It's super fast and fun. :D

The new character models look amazing in Dreanror! I can't wait :D
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Arthas trailer is still my all-time favorite, probably because the voice over is just plain brilliant.

This still looks amazing though. I love the WoW style of course, but I'd be in heaven if Blizzard ever decided to make a game with their grittier cinematic style with shiny pbr materials and high-poly assets galore to mix things up a bit.

Blizzard's cinematic art direction in an elder scrollsish game-mechanics setup? No that's too good to ever exist. Co-op would be greedy.. oh my off-tangents.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yes definitely agree, a grittier game would be cool as well, would be interested to see how a modern take on their old 'Ghost' project would look!
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Their cinematics are like icecream. - Really delicious and always leaving you wanting more :icon60:
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Their cinematics are like icecream.

Exactly, they're so sweet, watching too many will give you diabetes XO
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    mMmm diabetes and brainfreezes all day
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    This has got me back to watching Lets Plays on Youtube while I work.

I'll definitely resub in October when 6.0 is released.
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    This has got me back to watching Lets Plays on Youtube while I work.

I'll definitely resub in October when 6.0 is released.

lol! same here.

love the new look characters are getting.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Kiljaeden's going to be pissed the orcs didn't drink the blood!! Wonder where this will go, exciting! They killed Mannoroth there, does this mean no demon attack on Azeroth, and maybe a full scale demon attack on Draenor? If Guldan gets unseated... would he still gain power, and still lead to creating demon Illidan in War3? Maybe Guldan will go back to being a shaman and not a Warlock?? ahhhhhhhhhh

I love that the story in the expansion is less "back to the future" and more "LOST," so we may not get the effects of the story in game, unless they have super crazy shit planned.

aweeesomeeee, fucking love that the amount of effort and love going into World of Warcraft is still very strong. I know a lot of people have stopped playing, but you wouldn't be able to tell by the quality work going into the game.

edit: Also, badass Bladefist

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG3RVCEwCPg"]Lords of War Part One ? Shattered Hand - YouTube[/ame]
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently Grom is the end raid boss of WoD. I'm curious how that plays out.

Sounds like the Iron Horde pretty much invades anyways, without the demonic corruption.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I've only followed up to about the lich king. I didn't realize the storyline got so complicated. I tried to catch up and this is what I got.
    Garrosh Hellscream's intent to create a world ruled purely by the orcish race alienated most of the non-orc members of the New Horde during his reign, and at some point he even decided to eliminate or enslave every non-orc, no matter if they were members of the Horde or not - for him the only true Horde would be purely orcish, and orcs would be the master race of Azeroth. This move eventually brought an entire rebellion and the Alliance to his doorstep, and their tenuous coalition ultimately deposed and captured Garrosh, who was then incarcerated by the Shado-Pan in Pandaria. However, before his trial could begin, he escaped from prison with the help of a bronze dragon, Kairoz, who sent him back in time to Draenor before the orcs could drink the blood of the pit lord Mannoroth and thus created a parallel timeline.

Garrosh brought modern technology from the present day, courtesy of Blackfuse Company to arm the orcish clans of this parallel Draenor and unite them into a single faction: the Iron Horde, under the leadership of his father, Grommash. Garrosh is able to persuade his father not to drink Mannoroth's blood, but instead to prepare a technologically empowered army in order to ambush the pit lord Mannoroth, and overthrow the Burning Legion's efforts to enslave the orcs.

When Grommash's refusal to drink Mannoroth's blood causes the pit lord to reveal himself, at Garrosh's signal the hidden Iron Horde bursts forth, firing ballistae and chains at Mannoroth. The mighty demon quickly countered their attempts to trap him and lay waste to the orc army, but was ultimately defeated by Grommash, leaping through the explosion from one of the orcs' iron stars to drive Gorehowl directly into the pit lord's forehead, the technology provided by Garrosh thus directly liberating the orcs from the Legion's plot and changing their destiny.

With the Legion's plot foiled, the orcs clans were united under the single banner of the Iron Horde. Grommash proclaimed a glorious future for their people, with Gul'dan's original plans to invade Azeroth repurposed to suit the new Iron Horde lust for conquest.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    LRoy wrote: »
    I've only followed up to about the lich king. I didn't realize the storyline got so complicated. I tried to catch up and this is what I got.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. An interesting bit about them changing the timeline though: initially after drinking the demon blood the orcs turned to fight the Draenei. The orc shaman Nur'zhul originally united the clans but was manipulated by the Burning Legion and Gul'Dan to destroy the Draenei since the Draenei were on the run from them. After the war, the Draenei are almost completely destroyed and without an enemy, the orcs start to turn on themselves due to their blood lust. Gul'Dan worked with the Burning Legion to and Medivh to open the Dark Portal and invade Azeroth.

It's interesting to me that by jump starting the invasion on Azeroth, it feels like the Iron Horde hasn't really had time to secure their position on Draenor. We're getting to see most of the Draenei before they were corrupted or destroyed.