Home Technical Talk

Mudbox Texturing Issues

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
Just wanted to put this out there to you guys to see if you can offer and advice before taking it elsewhere.

Ran into some issues recently, and I'm not entirely sure why this is happening. I do not know if this is GPU based, but that is my closest guess on most of these issues.

Opacity and pressure sensitivity
: *pppplllllltttttttt* nasty. I will usually have to have opacity down extremely low to really gain any slight control, and even then, it's very touchy on how well it handles strokes.

Paint blurring/burning while painting regular color
: Gives the rainbow effect even if the layer is set to 16/32 bit tif. This also relates to the opacity and falloff as it just simply doesn't behave as one would think it should. Painting a lighter color over a darker one or vice versa will give this affect. Almost like having the burn tool attached to a regular brush or painting with wet edges.

Stencils: Stencils come in nice SOMETIMES when you bring them up in the viewport ("Q"). Other times they will come in like they were saved out as indexed pngs or gifs. In addition, resolution doesn't hold up within Mudbox. If I project a high res image over a model, the quality degrades tremendously. If I export the channel to PSD, use the same image on the texture sheet, and reimport the PSD, the quality is retained. This is baffling to me as the software was built to maintain the quality within Mud, one of the key features of the program's texturing abilities. This also eliminates resolution and UV to textel density since it holds up cross application and again, the layer is set to a 16 or a 32.

Non-square Maps: I don't typically use them, but recently I had a special case. Started out great and everything transitioned cross app perfectly and with ease. Then, suddenly on updating the PSD after export, the map gets compressed. So let's say I'm working in a 4k x 2k. Upon updating, it will go to 4k square. This has happened twice now. The first time it happened, I thought it was because I went into texture view (Alt-T) within mudbox. The second time it happened randomly. To fix it the first time, I deleted the model, reimported, and rebuilt the material (at this point I only had a few paint layers so it wasn't a big deal.). The second time, I couldn't get it fixed back even after saving the PSD at the 4k x 2k dim. However, I had reached a point where I was mainly going to be adding in stuff within Photoshop, so it wasn't a big deal again, but still curious as to why this is happening.

Any thoughts, advice, experiences would help greatly on these issues.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there is no "real" opacity in mudbox for painting brushes... its more like flow in PS....

this burnign effect should not appear with 16bit... but you say its there report it as a bug...
    in mudbox help --> report a problem

stencils are projecting the full resolution so there should be no quallity loss except the face agle is not 90 degree to the camera...

non square maps are not supported... if you need them use the report a problem button again...
    the mudbox team needs to know what your problems are...

are you using mudbox 2011 SAP..?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Firebert wrote: »

Opacity and pressure sensitivity
    : *pppplllllltttttttt* nasty. I will usually have to have opacity down extremely low to really gain any slight control, and even then, it's very touchy on how well it handles strokes.

Might be that you've unchecked Stamp spacing. That will destroy any pressure sensitivity. It's fine to set the value at zero, just make sure the box is ticked. (Same goes for sculpt brushes)
  • asag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asag polycounter lvl 2
    burning effect is gone with 16 bit layers thanks!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Firebert wrote: »
    Stencils: Stencils come in nice SOMETIMES when you bring them up in the viewport ("Q"). Other times they will come in like they were saved out as indexed pngs or gifs. In addition, resolution doesn't hold up within Mudbox. If I project a high res image over a model, the quality degrades tremendously. If I export the channel to PSD, use the same image on the texture sheet, and reimport the PSD, the quality is retained. This is baffling to me as the software was built to maintain the quality within Mud, one of the key features of the program's texturing abilities. This also eliminates resolution and UV to textel density since it holds up cross application and again, the layer is set to a 16 or a 32.

my experience as well in mudbox 2012 and 2013 with all available servicepacks applied. stencils no matter how high resolution can end up badly pixelated when painted through. in my experience the issue can be somehow worked around by zooming in/out a bit before painting. suffice to say stencils are among my least favourite tools used in mudbox for precisely this reason.
    not isolated to a specific machine either.

i ended up switching partially to zbrush/zapplink instead because of this.