Home General Discussion

Short games

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
So there is a new controversy going on right now about the alleged lenght of The Order: 1886 for Playstation 4. Many gamers who've finished the game already claim that it's only 5-7 hours long and 40% of it is cutscenes. If anyone here reads NeoGaf, you know how people feel about that. When enough gameplay is enough for you? How do you feel about spending 60$ on a 5 hour game with no replay value? Should games have right to complain about a game's lenght or lower review scores because of it? What do you think?

I think that 5 or 20 hours, it doesn't matter, as long as I'm well informed about the facts and decided for myself that this is what I want for my 60$ and therefore I will not complain about the game's lenght. A studio made a game, informed me about it and I made a decision to buy it or not.

What do you think?

Replies

• Jamie!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! polycounter lvl 7
    I prefer a game that's in the 10 hour range, it means there is a chance I can actually finish it. The older I get the less time I can commit to a game and as long as it's a well made game I still think it was worth the money.

I think a bigger problem in the arguement is that people expect every game made to be tailored to them. If you need a game to be 60 hours to be worth the money then simply don't buy 5 hour games. You don't need to stop shorter games from existing.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I just want to see some gorgeous artwork I can admire/get lost in, coupled with a decently interesting story, and "playable" gameplay.

Some games that come to mind.

Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Remember Me

Both were beautiful games, with decent stories, and average gameplay.

And ya, I agree with Jamie. It feels like people have this expectation of what a game NEEDS to be. Anything else is unacceptable. And apparently they aren't okay with simply not buying the game and moving on?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    And apparently they aren't okay with simply not buying the game and moving on?
    Some may feel that games like The Order set a dangerous precedent and if it does good it will allow other developers to stop longer games.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    This thread seems to be getting a bit ahead of itself.

Have you played the game?

The only real play-through times I have read are from sensationalist websites. I'd wait.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Length was cut down to cinematic size just like the aspect ratio was ;)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I don't really mind shorter games but I would probably not pay $60 for a four-hour game, especially if there wasn't really anything new about the gameplay. I won't be playing The Order regardless, as I don't have a PS4 and won't be getting one.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    This thread seems to be getting a bit ahead of itself.

Have you played the game?

The only real play-through times I have read are from sensationalist websites. I'd wait.

I haven't yet. But there are few reviews, one from JeuxVideo magazine and there's a full video playthrough of the game on Youtube that clocks 5:30. There are several user reviews out there that say the game is 7 hours long. The game is very very linear and cinematic, the only real way to prolong that play time is to daydream about and hunt for collectibles, but that doesn't really count.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I think this is a negative trend in the game consumer mindset. Instead of judging quality, they just judge length...
    I would rather play a good short game than a needlessly extended and filler packed long game.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    AAA games tend to carry a different set of expectations. They cater to the casual gamer, and what the casual gamer wants is an entertaining time killer. They couldn't care less about arguments of length ≠ value.

Granted, I'd be pissed to if I paid $60 for a linear "cinematic" game, but that's beside the point.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I think this is a negative trend in the game consumer mindset. Instead of judging quality, they just judge length...
    I would rather play a good short game than a needlessly extended and filler packed long game.

From what I gather most consumers are concerned of paying a full $60 for 5 1/2 hours of content. I can kind of see where they are coming from, but it's interesting to see how this will all play out.

I can think of only 2 other examples of console AAA games being marketed at less than $60;
    Metal Gear V ground zereos - $20
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - $40

Both games having less than 6 hours of main story content. I don't think most people are judging the quality, but rather is it really worth $60 or should I wait for the price to drop. At least this is what I perceive is going on.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    What I find irksome is that the conversation is centered around game length when what people should really be discussing is if consumers actually want highly polished AAA narrative game experiences. Consumers feel they are getting less for their money but as developers we all know how the workload scales up massively for each new console iteration. As tech moves forward and budgets increase, consumers have to chose between paying more for games, or getting shorter/tighter experiences. Publishers and developers are not going eat the costs of continually expanding budgets.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I think the better question is why people are getting up in arms over a 5 hour speedrun? Seriously, if you're paying 60 dollars to speed run a game on your first playthrough you're doing it wrong. I dunno... It just seems silly when people say games are art and then get pissy when the creators makes choices like this. They feel this is the appropriate amount of content to do achieve what they want to achieve. Good on them I say.

Hell I can complete "most" long form games in 1/2 to 1/3 of the time if I skip everything and burn through it as fast as possible.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    What I find irksome is that the conversation is centered around game length when what people should really be discussing is if consumers actually want highly polished AAA narrative game experiences.

It's a two way street, we're in the business of entertainment for the consumers. As much of a craft as it is for us, for the consumers it's a source of entertainment at the end of the busy day.

On the flip side, with huge publishers like 2k and EA royally screwing things up by putting profits before quality, the consumers are very justified of being skeptical of new games. Although, the consumers themselves feed into the vicious cycle as well(pre-orders, day one dlc, etc.).

I'd say it's disingenuous to call out the consumers solely as bickering babies; with the current state of the industry, damage is being done on both ends.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think length = quality.

Heavy Rain was probably my most expensive purchase based on start to finish time, and i'm itching to money down another quality quanatic dream story. I had a great time.

on the flipside, I've clocked up a few hundred hours on Civ5 according to steam, which would make it the cheapest by the hour game i've played in recent memory. more great times.

For me the important thing is how much i'm enjoying the game.
    There were many hours of torture I spent grinding through the frankly awful gameplay of bioshock infinate, but I forgave it when i finally clocked it because the story was so amazing.

It was harder to forgive assassin's creed, call of duty singleplayer battlefield singleplayer, hitman absolution, the half of uncharted 1 I played, or any of the other grindy slop that's become more and more prevelent over the last generation. All of those wanted to be films, and I wished they'd just ditched the 'gameplay'.

make games i care enough to play over and over and i'll show my custom, regardless of how many hours the 'campaign' is.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    For linear games, I have a hard time justifying the default asking price of 60usd. They're like films, I'll experience them once and 90% of the time I'll never experience them again so I'm probably just as well off watching Netflix.

I'll buy open-world games at launch if I'm really amped over them, since I know I'll be able to eek out at least 60 hours on them over the course of a year, but I haven't since Skyrim.

If people really cared about length, they'd do what I do- not complain, and just wait a couple years for the game to hit the bargain bin.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    If I recall correctly the controversional youtube playthrough involved the person playing the game on the easiest difficulty which is pretty unfair to the game's length since the difficulty is designed for the people that just want to quickly get through the game. Most big name titles have their average playtime cut in half if you just switch from "Normal" mode to "Easy." I believe the player was taking their time though, so the game is probably on the shorter side.

If a game is short but an enjoyable experience, then I'd say it would have been worth it, some of the best games I've ever played were under 5-6 hours long but they still managed to be inspiring and enjoyable experiences. I'm sure many people will be flaming about the game after launch but I'm glad there are studios that are trying to create high quality cinematic experiences, even if the average gamer thinks it's not worth the money.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Would you be ready to pay $60 for a short expansion to this game when that would eventually come out?, if time is not a part of the equation for you that is.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    If I recall correctly the controversional youtube playthrough involved the person playing the game on the easiest difficulty which is pretty unfair to the game's length since the difficulty is designed for the people that just want to quickly get through the game. Most big name titles have their average playtime cut in half if you just switch from "Normal" mode to "Easy." I believe the player was taking their time though, so the game is probably on the shorter side.

This is what the guy who uploaded the walkthrough has to say about it:
    J0aS9ZI.png

Seems fair enough. That's how I'll be playing the game. You can literally stretch any game to infinity if you apply some imagination, that's not an argument to its lenght. Sometimes games are just short.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Well that's a bit disappointing, I'll still pick up the game and give it a shot myself though. The story looked interesting and I have never seen better art in a game before so I don't mind the length, I just hope there is a big art dump soon!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Well that's a bit disappointing, I'll still pick up the game and give it a shot myself though. The story looked interesting and I have never seen better art in a game before so I don't mind the length, I just hope there is a big art dump soon!

You should check out Ryse: Son of Rome. It looks just as good as Ryse, if not better(on PC).
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    The length of a game does matter, it doesn't matter as much if the game is good. A few examples I've got on steam are; Braid - 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - 3, Hotline Miami - 3, SteamWorld Dig - 4, SHoDN - 4, Super Meat Boy - 2 (numbers are hours played). If you jacked these games up to 60 dollars compared to their release price I wouldn't have bought any off them, but for the release price they had I would recommend any of them in a heart beat to anyone. But this is all personal, every single person out there is gonna give you a different answer because they have a different opinion then you. Developers needs to find their target audience and market TO THEM, and it seems The Order: 1886 failed in that respect.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly, in this day and age I've found I care very little about a games length. If the experience was great and worthwhile, then the time it took to complete is justified. There is absolutely no reason a game should be dragged on for a period of time then it needs to be... adding in senseless parts of gameplay is just fat and does nothing.

One of my favorite gaming experiences I've ever had is the game Journey, and that game is just a little over an hour long, and yet while doing so much with so little, it leaves a huge impression and a great and memorable experience. The one hour is worth it, along with the 15 dollars it costs, because the game itself is amazing, beautiful and leaves an impression.

Rather than the time length of a game, I find myself much more concerned with the content inside and what it does with it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't mind short games if it doesn't feel rushed and it had a lot of content, but it better be a good game. But 3 hours of gameplay and 2 hours of cutscenes sounds too short, unless the cut scenes are great like Blizard cinematics. And If I don't care for the cut scenes and there's only 3 hours of okay gameplay, I'd be annoyed that I paid $60 for it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If the game is fun and short, I really don`t care. Shadow of the Colossus is a 7-8 hour game and it came out at about $60. Shadowgate is a 12 minute game if you know what to do and it came out at $60. Most games I am interested in need to fall into the sub 20 hour range. I WANT to play full RPG`s but I can`t sit for a long period of time and play. Kids and job and stuff... like going outside.

Games like Borderlands where I can do a mission (rush through in some cases) and save the game is good for me. I can choose a mission knowing if it has impact on the story. I don`t have to worry about forgetting where I was at all, I can choose a mission kinda knowing how long it will be. I`ve racked up 60+ hours on BL1 and BL2.. about 120 hours total just because of this.

A games length != quality. 7 hours is perfect for me. I am still excited.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    The length of a game does matter, it doesn't matter as much if the game is good. A few examples I've got on steam are; Braid - 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - 3, Hotline Miami - 3, SteamWorld Dig - 4, SHoDN - 4, Super Meat Boy - 2 (numbers are hours played). If you jacked these games up to 60 dollars compared to their release price I wouldn't have bought any off them, but for the release price they had I would recommend any of them in a heart beat to anyone. But this is all personal, every single person out there is gonna give you a different answer because they have a different opinion then you. Developers needs to find their target audience and market TO THEM, and it seems The Order: 1886 failed in that respect.

You did say it yourself though, you wouldn't pay a certain price for these shorter games. This is really what the debacle is all about, I'm sure people wouldn't complain about the length of the the order if the price wasn't as high.

I would actually pay 60 for the order and its length if it meant that the quality of the game made up for the length, and with that I mean it would have to be one of these fantastic unforgettable experiences and one of the best games ever made, which is quite a feat these days.

But for now the statistics are here, you can't stretch out the cutscenes in the game. the gameplay is the only place where time may variate.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I have yet to encounter a game where I paied full price and I felt that it was way too short.

While I currently stick by "As long as it's good, it's worth the asking price." I have yet to personally find exceptions.

Regarding The Order: 1866, I wouldn't be surprised if the art pipeline just could not handle a longer game given the fidelity.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I've never thought games were too short before, but I've often thought, "I wish it was longer."

Stick it to the Man is a good example - I loved that game and the humour, but finished it in around 4 hours. I wish it was longer, but just because it had such great content.

If it had been longer and had had the same budget, I probably wouldn't have even finished it because it would have been less polished. C'est la vie
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    to me it's more important that the game offers some variety and replay-ability and isn't constantly forcing me to sit back and put down the controller to watch movies. non-interactive bits usually bore me silly. that's not what games should be about in my view.
  • JanMeier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer short-time games as I'm a kinda busy man, I like playing but I don't always have much time for this. Two or three-hour session is my cup of tea.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I don't really have much of a problem with shorter games. But 5 hours is pushing it for a "AAA" full price game. 8 I might accept....

Funny: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-u5tvQC34[/ame]
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Game length used to be a major deal to me when I was in middle-school and high-school. I had a set weekly allowance and buying a game that only lasted a couple of hours wasn't cost effective; thus most of the games I played during the 64bit-120bit areas were mostly RPGs and collecta-thon platformers. If you played these only during weekends and holidays a game could last more than three months, and that's only if you aren't playing multiple games consistently.

Nowadays, it doesn't matter as much, but I would honestly rather play a lengthy story game than a three hour romp. I honestly love old SNES platformers, but the price of admission was too high (actually I played and beat most of them due to block buster rentals).
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I'll admit I wouldn't be thrilled with only 5 hours seeing 60 bucks is a lot of money, but I hardly ever buy linear games at launch price. Or at all, more of a sandbox person myself.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i dont buy games that are short and have zero replay value.
    (exception : i want to look at the art, then i snatch them on a steam sale and "play" them for 1-2hours)

but usually iam looking for games which can keep me entertained for some time. mostly multiplayer or things like civilisation type of games.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Game playing time / length has never been an issue. In fact The Last of Us even became slightly too prolonged. The second arc with the girl was just 'right' for the story and pacing. In all, Last of Us was a good combination of Uncharted, salvaging parts / linear exploring. Enough to not let me get bored.

It's kind of why I've gone off online games in general - BF4, GW2. Or any others that become repetitive. Once a game is finished, it's gone - just like in the days of the ZX Spectrum, if you could ever complete a game.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Eh I'm usually happy with the length of whatever game I'm playing as I usually try to gather as much information as I can to help better judge before purchasing. Never trust the hype... unless it's The Witcher 3 (!!!) On the flip side, I also have a terrible tendency to lose interest in games that I found fun when they reach the inevitable boring filler level/quest/grind.

It seems at least to me that it's the AAA FPS games that are mostly getting shorter, minus the exceptions like Bioshock and Wolfenstein: The New Order (good ole' singleplayer done right!).

I'd say it's probably due to multiplayer becoming more and more of the main attraction where as 10ish years ago most FPS's were about equal parts single and multi. Quite a few actually had the opposite effect of having a long and great singleplayer mode with a rushed multiplayer tacked on to put the little check next to it on their list of features.

$60 is a bit much though when the average length tends to be approaching 5 hours or shorter for a non-replayable, singleplayer game that's not doing anything revolutionary so-to-speak. I'd say $30-40 generally feels more reasonable ($30 being high end but still indie, $40 being full-blown AAA production)