Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Handpainted Cellar

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
TuurSangers polycounter lvl 5
Latest :

hc01.png
hc02.png

Heey guys first post here, always wanted to post a project. So sorry if I make any mistakes.

I'm currently working on an environment entirely from scratch, with handpainted textures and stuff.
I started with creating the barrels. The texture is quite plain, which I did since there need to be a lot of them in the scene.

barrels.png

Somewhere between creating the textures and assets I made a small sketch of the scene in Maya.

maya_sketch.png

I figured the scene would be build out of four main textures, which I would edit to save time.

main-textures.png

I wanted the walls to have a broken feeling so I set up a vertex painting material which switches between the plaster and the bricks.

vertex-painting.png

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• LSheridan
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great so far. I like that you didn't go overboard with highlights and details on your textures. Makes for a nice 'clean' look despite being full of dirt/sand. :)

Would love to see that room textured out.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looking great so far, looking forward to seeing progress! One quick crit.

The floor is too repetitive. You have a lot of space in your texture map to vary the layout of the stones. Search around for hand-painted floors on here and you should be able to find some examples of tiled floors with more variety. Looks great otherwise though!
  • LSheridan
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Also,overlaying the sand you have on your wall onto your floor will help mix it up as well.
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback :D
    So I did some of the wooden bars to give the scene more structure and did a cloth simulation for over the barrels, but I think I'll give a cleaner look soon.
    02.png
    01.png

@Beefaroni I tried to vary the texture map, but I couldn't really get it to work. It's indeed really repetitive. Espescially from above. Have to look into that again
    @LSheridan Good tip, I also gave it a position offset to give it more the idea of dust.
    06.png

I also think the lightning is quite of, so definitely gonna tweak the scene a bit
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea, I don't have any saved but there are definitely a few threads here that go over really varying rock textures. Sorry I can't remember off hand though!
  • ClusterOne
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Are you using a blend mask for the vertex paint? The textures will looks much better if you use a proper blend mask.
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    I like where you're going, but my biggest crit is that for both your floor and the bricks, everything is very clean. There are no overlapping bricks, and they are all sticking out at the same distance. Some of your bricks have cracks in them as well as worn edges, so try and add some variation in the height map and let some of the bricks run into one another. They also all seem to be roughly the same shape. Throw a few variations in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNgs2DcAsF4 Try looking here to see how he makes his wall.

But keep it up, I'm interested to see where this goes.

Also, for the cloth laying over the barrels, have you looked into Marvelous Designer?
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :) (bowing deeply)

Finished some small assets, inlcuding some fan art of AC3, Amnesia & GOT (couldn't help myself).
    I looked into making the stone textures more variet and came to the conclusion that I have to paint a lot of new stuff in them. So thats probably gonna take some while. But I'll promise it's coming
    The stone material also uses quite a bad blend mask, so that too I must update.

So far, everything is going quite well, while there's still a lot to be done.

papers_t2.png
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Liking the progress!

Right now, the lighting doesn't make too much sense to me. I THINK (not a lighting expert) there would be a lot of light bouncing around the room with the strength of the light coming through the windows/on the table. It all seems to die off too quickly.
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, I also tried to add extra lights on the surfaces hit by the moonlight, but so far that hasn't help. I'm thinking of expanding the room so that the moonlight and the oil-lamp don't intersect.
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    I edited the stone texture for the walls with some smaller stones. I also edited its shader so it has some harder sides where the plaster overlaps. The stone texture from the floor still needs an update, and I'm thinking about creating some missing stones which I can place randomly over the ground. Then I could use those assets to create some stairs in the room next to it.

stonewall_t2.png

I also increased the room and added a lot of barrels. At last I added a directional light, because each light throught the holes was coming from a different spotlight.

09.png

Here's some new concept I came up with. One of the barrels is leaking wine, which turned out too look a lot like blood. So maybe I could take the scene in a more sinister setting ... What do you guys think?
    editedscene_lr2.png
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    coming along nicely
  • DireWolf
    Looking very painterly, nice! The darks are still a bit too dark imo.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your cracks don't work. You seem to want to incorporate intricate patterns like cracked concrete, earth or natural rock, but it's too uniformly laid out and most importantly, it's a brick wall. Right now what you have seems like a simple overlay crossing all the stones without taking into consideration how the structure is built. Generally you'll see a lot of cracks that follow the mortar lines because it is weaker, or bricks cracked in half, and not many pebble-sized bits. In short, a larger scale, more 'organized' crack.

old-red-brick-wall-with-cracks-2cf2f5.jpg
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a really long time since I last uploaded, sorry. Yet, I'm glad to say it's almost finished.

I tried putting in the wine on the floor, but it just didn't seem to fit and so I got rid of it. Still wanna show you what it looked like.

16.png

I added in a new room with some stair, updated the postprocess, added in some fog and fake volumetric effects. Finally, I'm quite happy how it turned out. Let me know what you think of it.

10-copy.png

11.png

14.png

12.png

15.png
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Lighting looks great and the subtle things like the window shadows and the light leaking through the door frame are really nice, but the bloom is way too strong in my opinion. The third shot is literally all bloom. :poly124: The last two as well.
  • TuurSangers
    Offline / Send Message
    @leleuxart You were right. Think I kinda became a bit too enthusiastic about the bloom effects :P
    I uploaded the screenshots again in the previous post
  • Atokal
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    This looks really cool!

Quick critique: Watch your saturation.

Value creates interest, but so does saturation, and when everything hits a similar spectrum, your focal point is stifled a bit.

Maybe soften the blue from the exterior light, and on bounce, start to shift it to some purple hints so that it feels like the warmth from your interior, and the cools from the exterior are converging.

Keep it up!

-Jon