Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge July 2014 (21)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge July 2014 (21)!

I'm testing out a secondary prop challenge for the month!

Join our Skype group too if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to though, you don't need to ask to participate or anything, just start doing it and post in this thread!

This month's concept:
oFP9y92.jpg
http://www.artstation.com/artist/Torewesolowskidesign
This month I added a secondary prop challenge if you don't have the time or skill to take on a whole scene.64jdpc2.jpg

Feel free to approach this however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized:) It's up to you, as long as you are learning then it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up the concept a bit as some people wanted feel free, interpret this concept how you want.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers,
if you only want to do a few props as best you can, go for it! This way you can work on building up to a full scene.

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

When you are just starting out making a scene can seem complicated or imposing, so break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible plan it out, a lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some refs as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.
Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:
Try to do one crit for every post you make, this will make for a better learning environment and help us grow as artists.

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used, but feel free to use any.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Replies

• cameronthughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cameronthughes polycounter lvl 9
    Gonna be doing the knifes/Swords first. They're just too good.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

Cant find artist name

You can barely make out the name Tore Wesolowski at the bottom of the image.

Found this artstation link http://www.artstation.com/artist/Torewesolowskidesign

On another note, I also found the image here along with a lot of other badass concepts.
    http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/2014/05/student-work-entertainment-design.html
  • Sim3DArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sim3DArtist polycounter lvl 7
    Hello all

Do you need to use Game engine as i don't have access to any ?
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I think I'm in for the temple :)

Did a quick color coding of the different elements:
    temple_layout_by_dethling-d7ospl6.jpg

Also started the first blockout:
    temple_bo_by_dethling-d7ospk8.jpg
    I'm not happy with the rear part as it's a little dense/small. I think I will strecht it a little bit more.

At the moment the scene is in 3DMax only as I plan to create all elements there and then export them to UDK.
    My plan is also to do this all modular so it can be used for multiple similar buildings/rooms.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Hello all

Do you need to use Game engine as i don't have access to any ?

Most engines nows a days are fairly cheap and work on a monthly subscription basis so you could certainly gain access to something like CryEngine or Unreal fairly cheaply for a period of time. There are options like Unity as well which is a freemium Engine. It doesn't come with all the bells and whistles but it is easy to use and functional for the purposes of the challenge.

I think I am going to attempt one of the knifes for this month, I'll probably get started on it much later though as I am still plugging away on last month's environment.
  • Rafelious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to try the Knife first. Never really built an asset like this before. Previous high polys tended to just be chamfered to hell. Trying to add correct supporting geometry and turbosmooth this time.
  • jakebelgian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    On another note, I also found the image here along with a lot of other badass concepts.
    http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/2014/05/student-work-entertainment-design.html

Wow, they're beautiful! Would love to see some of those creep into next months challenge. Cheers for the link there.
  • MDStranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do we have to do both the exterior AND the interior? Or can we just do one or the other?
  • Pocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafelious wrote: »
    Decided to try the Knife first. Never really built an asset like this before. Previous high polys tended to just be chamfered to hell. Trying to add correct supporting geometry and turbosmooth this time.

nice!
    just stopping by to say I've done those knife sketches. Nothing against you guys using them, just thought I met let know in case anyone was curious!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    No Sci-fi
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJehlr1tEw"]Grandpa Simpson walking in and out. - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rafelious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pocky wrote: »
    nice!
    just stopping by to say I've done those knife sketches. Nothing against you guys using them, just thought I met let know in case anyone was curious!

Awesome work man, regretting that I don't have the skills to do one of your wicked holo-knife concepts. It was bugging me that I couldn't who to credit, I should be better at goggling I guess.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
  • Bchang3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bchang3d polycounter lvl 3
    So I'm basically modeling one side the concept- since it's symmetrically. I am doing a fast block-out and I feel like the scaling is off? Anyone have some pointers? Is it just the concept itself, since it's kinda of a top down/RTS perspective?
  • jordanpascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pocky wrote: »
    nice!

Dude you could totally make this knife look sci fi like, like the thread post says, feel free to modifiy the concept as you wish haha :P
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,

I'm currently attending FZD but I started off as a 3D environmental modeling guy. I kept telling my class how if they do cool work that their stuff will show up on here and students who are learning how to model will want to work on it. Well, guess what, I get to show off a bit of your stuff. I will make it known to the school that some of their students stuff is the challenge this week and I'll try to find the guy who drew it so he can see.

Cheers and happy modelling!
  • LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LensFlare polycounter lvl 7
    Rafelious wrote: »

Pardon my ignorance here but what is the downside to chamfering things? I used to be an entirely supporting geometry guy until I read this. I've been getting better looking edges on my models due to this. Should I go back to the running edges alongside things method?

Going to jump onto the knife concepts, doing the Slice of Life contest this month so not expecting to have enough time for both that and the full challenge.
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome, I love the concepts! :) Don't know how much time I will have to make it in a month, but here's my initial analysis and rough blockout in UE4.

0qBxfgq.jpg

yv7tWgZ.jpg
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    JoachimC wrote: »
    Awesome, I love the concepts! :) Don't know how much time I will have to make it in a month, but here's my initial analysis and rough blockout in UE4.

0qBxfgq.jpg

yv7tWgZ.jpg

Nice analysis !! I'm new in that methode. Do you use photoshop to split each part in differente color ?
  • Sentientv2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sentientv2 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I'm new here. I work professionally in games, but mostly on the programming side of things. Wanted to challenge myself this month to get off the sidelines and try this challenge. I will probably go with Unity because it's what I know and have spent the last 3+ years working in.

@Dethling thanks so much for posting your color blockout! I know it'll be important for me to break things down into parts to get it done in time :)
  • Machiavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Machiavelli polycounter lvl 9
    This is my first time using a game engine..is Udk free good enough to showcase my baked models? Is the lighting good in that program?
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    This is my first time using a game engine..is Udk free good enough to showcase my baked models? Is the lighting good in that program?
    yes, very much so. It's pretty perfect for showing off art.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, I'm in! Going to work on the knife as time is limited right now. :)
  • ad3lynn
  • ad3lynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello~ im giving a try on the egypt dungeon. but i wonder is rendering in maya ok?
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far ^_^
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball wrote: »
    Nice analysis !! I'm new in that methode. Do you use photoshop to split each part in differente color ?

Thanks :) this is just the concept with a transparent layer on top of it where you color code separate parts you want to make. So yes, just traced and filled with Photoshop.

Honestly what matters most to me at this stage is just forcing myself to look at the concept in detail to list all the unique assets and get a feel for the size of the space.

My plan is
    - Set up a Maya file with the same grid units and snapping as in UE4
    - Get the simple BSP into it and iterate on it
    - Start modeling and going back and forth between Maya and UE4 for testing
  • Machiavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO of model so far. Really want to learn how to use UDK and build assets for games. I am a max user for 3D technical illustration but my passion is in games and want to convert over. I downloaded the free UDK, will I be able to promote my work well using this engine? What are its pro's and Con's?
  • Machiavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS wrote: »
    yes, very much so. It's pretty perfect for showing off art.

Didn't see this post, thanks. Any tips before I start exporting to UDK?
  • VincentM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VincentM polycounter lvl 2
    Hello everyone,

I jump in the arena and try my best on this beautiful dungeon :)
    Like Poinball and Dethling, I drew a small color pass on the original picture to identify similar assets and the environment in general.

So here is the color pass :
    IMG_setup.jpg

Here is my simple blocking pass in max+ simple omni lights ( max 1h on this one to get right proportions) :
    IMG_Blocking.jpg

And right now I'm modeling an "advanced blocking", more like a "almost complete Low poly environment" :
    IMG_LP.jpg

Now, I need to finish some details like the Falcon Head over the door :)
    I'm open to critics so don't hesitate (I really need to improve ;) )
  • MDStranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, this'll be the first ever challenge I've entered on here, I've gone through the main parts of the environment thus far, and am going to add the last few bits soon.

I've posted my work thus far below, and am going to be rendering it in both UDK and Unity when completed.

6eu6j_zpsc6f7576b.png

urtur_zps28c2395c.png

ykyd_zpsae9fe0df.png

trjs5tes_zps8fbb7f51.png
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your stairs are a little bit to rampant. I had the same issue, but fixed it by lengthen the rear part of the romm a little bit. This also fixed some issues I had with the "fence"-blocks, as they appeared to small compared to the ones in the front.

As I want to approach this scene from a modular standpoint I cut my blockout into several "modules".
    modules_by_dethling-d7p7pya.jpg

I don't like the water-basin "module" at the moment, I thinking of splitting it further.
    As I have no experience with this kind of work my question is:
    should I group several objects together for one texturemap (e.g. the pillars, the vase, the "fence" into one texture/UV) or should I create one seperate texture/UV for each object? (and the of course smaller texture maps for smaller items)?
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few hours of progress underway.

Knife_WIP01_zps9ae7258d.jpg
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Just wrapped up the models and got them set to scale for UDK.
    Probably going to go into the unwrap process pretty soon!
    jCApDMn.png
  • hollywoodjae026
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollywoodjae026 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I haven't really posted here or participated in any challenges so here we go. I decided to deviate from the original a bit otherwise I would get bored. Hope that is okay. This is still a WIP but I am open to any and all critique.

Started here but like I said it just didnt feel right.

1973778_10152545860674696_987928490600934149_o.jpg

10506607_10152545860679696_8505085002214257939_o.jpg

This is when it got interesting.
    10499585_10152550971554696_3627514764811473950_o.jpg
    1548133_10152550976624696_1681222419643060064_o.jpg

This is a simple lighting setup test. Not sure if I want that much light. Also thinking about adding cloth.

10499346_10152551068224696_3658317790152287401_o.jpg
    10382416_10152551106739696_35563740969478029_o.jpg

Hope that wasn't too much..
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i will start as soon as i have some time! Mid-july this will be!
  • cpullma1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cpullma1 polycounter lvl 5
    I will be making one or two of the blades this month because they look sick! Starting with the last one in the concept, and this is where I am at so far! Crits are welcome! :) Good luck everyone.

blade04_WIP02.JPG

blade04_WIP.JPG
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    Everyone's progress here looks awesome, gonna be following this thread for sure.
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff everyone :) Here's my thoughts on some of the environments so far:

@VincentM: Nice work already, I think you pretty much nailed the proportions if you're going for a still image recreation. Maybe check the pillar spacing bottom left side though.

@MDStranger: Not bad so far, but I would adjust the height on the trim blocks for the gutters at the sides of the pool. How I see it, these are things that are pretty close to the floor so they're easily stepped over.

@Dethling: There are no real rules for grouping items. I usually try to be a bit logical and group things by material and purpose. For instance, the vase props here look very similar, so I'm going to texture them in one go. Same for the stone trims along the walkways. I see them as part of a set that should look and feel the same, so I work on those props as if they're one big item, so to speak.

@Joebewon: Not bad so far. I would check the slope on your staircase. It should be a little bit steeper.

@hollywoodjae026: Interesting changes you're making... curious to see where this is going. :)

So, I've been going at it really slowly by replacing the BSP piece by piece, setting up links for materials, etc.
    I'm not going for the still image final result, I want to be able to run around in it and see it in motion as well.

x5GCHcn.jpg

This is obviously still very rough, next things I want/need to do:
    - finish up the BSP replacements with meshes for stairs, more trims, more props
    - fix the size of the pool which is off a bit now and clashing with my building block approach
    - start on the first tiling texture to get a large amount of screen space worked up already
  • Machiavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    July_Polycount_environment_Contest.jpg

Need to cut down my poly count :( Some of you guys are coming up with some very promising results with low poly models. Are you going to bake all textures out before sending to engine or apply shader's in said engine? Ill be using UDk for the first time. wish me luck :)
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing to work on the high poly. Taking some elements into Zbrush.

knife_WIP_zps63ea278c.jpg
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little bit or rework on the modules:

modules_by_dethling-d7pkck2.jpg

Also try to setup the first in-engine shot, but due to lackof UDK experience... I failed :(

Still one question remains: How to arrange the UV-Maps? One texture-map/prop or get some props together on one texture-map?
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    I'd say one UV per prop for this type of project but that's just me.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I wish Polycount could have notifications! haha

@JoachimC: Thanks man! I didn't even noticed the stairs! I will definitely be making those adjustments!

@Dethling: Great start! I set-up my workflow to be about the same as yours. And I totally understand where you're coming from. I haven't touched UDK in ages, so this is definitely going to be a huge re-learning experience for me!

I would check out this video from 3D Motive:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXoG2kNe5Ok
    Those guys have a lot of good info when it comes to 3DS Max & UDK stuff!

As for UV-Maps its really a personal preference. I'm going to try to condense all of mine down to maybe one 2048. We will definitely see once I finish this unwrap process!

Everyones stuff is looking pretty good! Keep it up!
  • cpullma1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cpullma1 polycounter lvl 5
    This has been a lot of fun so far! I plan on making another blade this month, but that is about it I think. I made a quick video to show the shader I made for the blade.

Energy Blade Shader:

http---makeagif.com--media-7-07-2014-dwK9tL.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5I0m500aT4&feature=youtu.be

energyBlade01_CompV01.jpg

Grab+4854x2730+Monday+Jul+07+2014+20_27_53.jpg

Grab+4854x2730+Monday+Jul+07+2014+20_21_53.jpg
  • Dustinmaertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustinmaertz polycounter lvl 7
    Little late to the party, blocked this out real quick and threw it into Unreal.
    ukdHXCe.jpg
  • cameronthughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cameronthughes polycounter lvl 9
    Sort of at my first phase of modeling out the hi-poly(I've never done this kind of modeling before). Still have work on sizing and model clean up before I make a low poly and maybe do some Zbrush work. But, I wanted to show where I was at and feedback is always welcome!
    wip_1.jpg
  • Gadorian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    Hello everyone, great work so far.
    I thought it would be nice to participate too, here's my progress so far.
    I've put a grid on top of the image to better understand the proportions and scale.
    1 box= 1 meter. this way it was much easier to blockout the level.
    Also, i quickly imported the blockout in UE4 using 3d person blueprint preset.
    After importing in UE4 i've noticed that the scale was wrong, the right scale would be 150%. so i rescaled the scene back in Modo.
    xXa9QYq.jpg
    DF1kR6q.jpg
    x78kJoz.gif
  • Rafelious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hollywoodjae026 - Absolutely love the addition of the water wheel, I think it creates a nice focal point at that end of the environment. Plus the Lighting is looking stellar so far.

@cameronthughes - The knife is looking great, I'd just keep an eye out incase the model starts looking a little 'soft' Especially on the bolts and the top of the hand guard area.

Here's where I'm at with mine currently, nearly happy with it. A couple of area's are looking a little skinny, could probably do with 'chunking' it up slightly.

nvXzuZ7.png
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Awesome work so far guys.

Im getting ready to release my modular map builder script, and will be testing it with this scene.

Here it is, very basic so far. The only custom room is the bath hall, I plan to add several more custom rooms, and custom halls for the script to generate, as well as more cubetype variations.

IEJK2Ij.jpg
  • ParaPUp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2014-07-08_14-29-19.jpg

Sizing for Source Engine (Since Changed in the engine to fit better.

2014-07-08_18-01-24.jpg

First Blockout within game engine.