Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Catwoman

Replies

• artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    For me, the hair needs a bit more polish. Specifically the ends and the back of her head. The ends in front are kind of abrupt with the ends, and the back you can see through to her scalp.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Great work!! I've been lurking this one for a while and im stoked to see you finish up strong.

awesome job.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    this is awesome work man! The only thing that is holding it back is the hair imo (as artstream mentioned). All the detail of hair comes from the spec and its not behaving correctly right now.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Love it, amazing work :D Now give her a nice cat pose ;)
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Almighty_gir - Thanks man, Ya i'm very proud of her. Ya I pushed the textures further in the update below thanks for the crit.

X³²Lapis - Thanks man :D

Afisher - Thanks alot man, your art is very inspiring :). Thanks for the crits I pushed the texture further and worked the hair more in the update below.

Rumkugel - Ya thanks I softened up the edge of the iris on the normal and diffuse and it helped.[

artstream - Ya I fixed the hair and got rid of the abrupt ends on the hairs

heboltz3 - Thanks man :D

Bradmyers82 - Thanks man :D Ya the hair was definately lacking, Im still messingh around with the settings in marmoset to fix it hopefully I fixed it in the newest update.

Xaragoth - Thanks man ;D I'm definately going to give her a cat pose its gonna be fun to do.

Hello everyone Thanks for the awesum comments Its been very helpful. So the two major things that people pointed out was the hair and Pushing the texture detail further so those were the two things I worked on, I'm still up for crits but im going to call the modelling phase done on this bad girl and move onto rigging and posing.

Also does anyone have any suggestions or tutorials/advice on posing a character? I downloaded the digital tutors video on rigging game characters I was gouing to use that. ALRIGHTY THEN heres the Kitty cat :)

3486dc2.jpg

1zztllg.jpg

308d1r4.jpg

2hnthdl.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This has come a long way and it looks great! I think the hair could still use fade at the end of the curls in the front...the bunching a the ends just looks unnatural. Great work though man!
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    That purple....change it please. Other than that this is looking great!
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Killer stuff! Though as slosh pointed out the ends of the hair are kind of funky. They would end in a tapered point not a faded square. Fix that and then get it posed out and you have a great piece!
  • nyx702
    Awesome. The subtle texture additions help so much! How did you do the hair geo?

If im being nit-picky I feel like the scale/intensity of the white makes on the boots are a high.
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great. Good to see you pushing it further. I like the extra variation in the clothing, just keep in mind not to just add random scratches, try to think about the placement of them, like where the wear and tear would mostly occur.

The hair is looking good, I think if you adjust the ends, it would add a lot to it. Here's a really quick paintover to show you what I mean. (please excuse how rough it is). Hope it helps

midYObjM.gif
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    hmmm the purple suit..

you think you could darken it a little, turn up the gloss and give it a purple spec?
    this would highlite the eye´s a lot more, give her a little more.. spooky edge.

and i dare you, remove that hexagonal pattern from her butt.. doenst do her good imho :D
    you know... just cause of the.. uhm.. spec.. and.. shape.. you know :D

and ditch the "scratches" on the leather, or change them.
    it feels just slapped on.
    if scratches, then put them into the gloss, so they´re rougher.
    but dont make the diffuse white.
  • Jon Mills
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    this has come along alot since I last saw, great job man it looks really nice, awesome work especially on the face, she has a ton of personality!

only things I would say is I agree with afisher... you could improve on the placement of the wear and tear, especially on her claws/gloves and her boots and knees etc.

keep it up tho man, great stuff!
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with afisher's paintover for the hair ends. The less hair looks like cards, the better and more natural.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The hair looks so much better dude, and I like all the details you are putting into this. Afishers crit is spot on, so I would make an effort to try what he showed you there.
    In terms of posing, I know some people do some quick and dirty posing stuff in zbrush. Personally, I use 3ds max character studio. It gives you a standard rig, and all you need to do is place it there (learn a few controls) and skin the mesh. There are a few quirks when dealing with character studio, but there is also a lot of information out there on it.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    BIG UPDATE

Hello Everyone, before i respond to your comments I wanted to freak out because My Catwoman was just featured on the poylycount recap!! This is a very big moment for me, I ve been working on my character art skills and specifically this character for a long time and one of my goals hopefully that one day one of my characters would be featured on the recap, and now that it happened im blown away and more motivated then ever :D But I definately wanted to thank everyone :) For all the critiques, advice, tutorials links,and all the amazing comments you guys have given, it means alot to me. So thanks guys :D:D:D!!

Slosh - Thanks man , ya the hair i fixed big time in this update.

Pixelpatron - Thanks man, Im trying to do a version of the 1990's catwoman and her costume is purple and black so the purple stays on this one.

Stevston89 - Thanks man, ya i fixed the hair in this update.

Nyx 702 - Thanks man, I modelled the hair cards in 3ds max, I think i made the gloos to bright for the boots, ive tweaked the gloss on the boots a bit so hopefully its fixed.

Afisher - Thanks so much for that paintover man very helpful, Ive been having trouble with the hair that paintover eally pushed me in the right direction. Ya I think i accidentally got carried away with the scratches ive toned them down alot in this update and put them in areas like the knees elbows and gloves.

Rumkugel - There was alreayd a purple spec on it but ive tweaked the purple around some more to darken it. lol hexagonal pattern is getting in the way of her "assets" lol, ya ive ditched a bunch of the scratches in this update i got carried away with them.

Jon mills - Hey man thanks alot :) Ya the wear and tear i have to emphasize and focus on those areas with the scracthes some more.

Artstream - Ya i fixed them up in this update.

bradmyers82 - Thanks man :D Ya Im definately following his crits for sure. Ive never heard of character studio gonna have to look that up.

Okay now with the update, The two main things I Focused on was the hair, and Properly placing the wear and tear and toning down the insane amount of scratches she had, i got carried away with that. I really like this update so I'm still looking for crits but im definately gonna rig her and pose her now and then come back and fix the textures up some more later.

Also take a close look at the elbows and kness is that good wear and tear?

And any advice on lighting? I'm having sum trouble with that.

6zxx5g.jpg
    2i8f1pd.jpg
    1zg96zb.jpg
    22nyqe.jpg
    2646ts0.jpg
    11smv49.jpg
    219tmc7.jpg
    f1m60y.jpg
    10cnrwo.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Awesome update, and congrats on the feature!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    BagelHero - Thanks man :D
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    This turned out great! awesome job man
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    ArtisticTiger - Thanks man :D
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that's good. Maybe you should put up a NSFW note because of drooling :P
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    still think u should change title to "best gotdayum catwoman"
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Xaragoth - LOL Thanks alot man :D

Pancakes - lol ill get right on that :P
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Love the hair! Looking sweet!
    I do agree that I find the purple a bit intense myself (but I don't know anything about catwoman) I would have imagined a less saturated and darker purple.
    Would give it more of a sexy vive, this is very ''flamboyant''
    But Great work, I really enjoyed following the progress and the improvement. The eyes looks very good!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Tits - Thanks alot, greatly appreciated!! :D Ya After im done posing her I tihnk im gonna go back and go through color variations of the purple I started noticing that it is flamboyant.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I agree with darkening and desaturating the purple a bit (or a lot).

Also, I want a break down of that hair; how you modeled it and how you textured it. It's fantastic.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    makkon - ya I'm definately gonna go in and do some darkening destaurating variations, And thanks for the comment on the hair, I'll try to put together breakdown when im done posing.

Quick update shes almost posed, ive made a cool rooftop pedestal for her I'll have the final up tonight!!! Super excited :D
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend wrote: »
    Quick update shes almost posed, ive made a cool rooftop pedestal for her I'll have the final up tonight!!! Super excited :D

Your fantastic work on her makes me wanna go and do a new female character attempt (my last one tanked a lil' due to knowledge gaps) but I need to finish this UE4 level this week. Argh, why is there only so little time in a day. Need one of those chambers were a year is like a day.

Looking super forward to the result :D
  • SA_22
    this is looking sweet kend!

agree about the purple, if it was move of a comic book style i would say stick with the brightness, but the realistic look needs it toned down abit imo.

although i REALLY wanna see what this looks like in black! just using the different materials to add some contrast!!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Xaragoth - Thanks man , Time chambers would be very helpful lol, Ive had characters tank before cause of knowledge gaps know wat u mean. looking forward to you work :D

SA_22 - Thanks man, Ill probably make different color suits for fun once I figure wat pruple to go with.

Ok quick update heres my wip pose in zbrush, and my purple test TONIGHT for sure im finishing this, have to work today so I wont be able to finish until tonight . I really like the new color I agree with everyone that it was too bright lol

2w5lfvb.jpg

11qshw5.jpg

mkxcea.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, I never had any feeling one way or another about the purple. Got to say though, the new one looks fantastic!

For her pose, maybe have one foot resting on the platform with her leaning back just a bit? Right now the pose works well for her, I think it could be pushed a little more to get the Catwoman feel. Finishing off strong!
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The new purple looks great. Love it. It actually draws the eye more, cause it's not so harsh.

As for the pose, have you thought of something a little more.. catwomanly? I always thought she was the "seductress" in the Batman universe. I'm not suggesting an overly sexualized pose, but perhaps something with a little more umfh. If you get me.
  • Jon Mills
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    new purple looks great!, i agree with Stirls on the pose, defo go all out on it and really give it a final push as a dynamic pose will really allow you to take advantage of some cool lighting and getting a awesome final image out of this cracking character!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Such a good model needs a way better pose than what you have right now.

Go for something more dynamic, like in the middle of a jump or an attack. You take critics very well, I'm sure you'll find a great pose =)
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    personally, id put one heel on the bar, give her a nice arched back.
    pushes her assets.

then, dont forget abotu giving her pelvis and upper torso an opposite twist,
    looks too stiff atm, and not very cat like.. think of michelle pfeifer´s catwoman impresson.. meow...

see:
    KG-Klassisch.jpg

And about the suit purple:

kadseu4ppd.jpg
    a bit of a material contrast to the leather boots and gloves. like latex maybe.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Your new one is great, could still be a tad darker but the overpaint by Rumkugel looks pretty bad to be honest, it's not readable at all :|
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Nice updates on the textures man...the new purple is a much better fit. I agree that the pose is too static. I don't think you need to do action but definitely add some more appeal to her current pose. Maybe bend one leg and bring it up like someone suggested. Adding more tilt in her shoulders and waist will help as well.
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    neox, it´s not like i´ve put hrs of effort into it :D
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This came such a huge way. Really glad to see you pushing it.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great Kend! The color change made a huge improvement, this is looking sweet,
  • LeonDustin
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    neox, it´s not like i´ve put hrs of effort into it :D

I understand that, but i fear making it latex will kill all readability ;)

anyways personally i like that it is not thaaat contrasting
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    The new purple is much, much better :)

@Kend: It's gonna be a while yet, but I hope I can do something that at least aspires to be this good :D
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    I too thought the old purple was good, but I definitely like the update! It looks like the purple on her sides are a slightly different purple, or am I imagining that? Either way I think if you made that side purple just a bit darker or something to get more variation that might look cool.

I also agree with the pose, could definitely be more action-y. One of my favourite turntables for a character was a Batman that someone modelled and instead of him standing or something, he was in mid-air, leaping off of the bat-signal, ready to punch someone in the face. Sadly I can't find that piece of art anywhere (maybe someone else knows where to find it?) but it was super memorable and if you did something like that this piece would be even more amazing than it already is!

EDIT: How about her, climbing up a building or something, escaping from a heist? Pretty much like this. I guess the trick is finding a cool pose and being able to show off all the details and stuff, and climbing a wall doesn't really show that off. Oh well just thinking out loud haha

CW-CV80_solicit.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    @ gloriousczar, I think you're talking about this? http://ckuhner.dunked.com/the-batman

@ Kend, yea I think an actiony pose could look really nice as well. You've got a great character here, so you definitely want to make the pose bring it home. Something subtle yet sexy could also work for her as well (someone above mentioned the arch of the back with a slight head tilt).
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Wow Lots of replys :D

Artstream - Thanks man, I ended up changing the pose check below.

Stirls - Thanks man, Ya I changed the pose in the update below.

Jon Mills - Thanks man

Popol - Thanks man Ya I changed the pose check it out below.

Rumkugel - Michelle pfeifers catwoman inspired the pose below. I really dont understand that paintover at all man I dont know wat you were trying to capture there?

Neox - Thanks man, Ya i dont get the paintover.

Slosh- Thanks man Ya i have two new poses in mind in the update below.

Rumkugel - I understand u didnt put effort in it I just dont get where u wer trying to go with that.

Lroy - Thanks alot man :D

Shiniku - Thanks man

Leondustin - Thanks

Xaragoth - Thanks alot man :D

Gloriousczar - Thanks man , And I absolutely agree with the stuff on the pose.

Okay so Ive found two poses that I want to use for her on my presentation of her What do you guys think about these?

FIRST POSE (More of a actiony pose to show off the character)

5e9xdi.jpg

]SECOND POSE Have posed model yet (More subtle pose too show off the details.)

16i8gna.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    I think both poses would work great for her! The second one I think would work really well for like you said, showing off the detail of the model. I'm not sure if the first one would "work", with her foot on its side like that. Could just look weird without a ground plane.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the arm would look better if instead of being behind, she'd hold it more like a cat paw ready to strike. Thinking something like this here:

Catwoman_rapsheet_h4.jpg

Generally I think it's important to get the pose to look very feline. The Batman games and Injustice are a great ref for that. Hitting that sweet spot on her is really gonna make her look amazing :D
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Artstream - Thanks man, Ya I definately have to put a ground plane down and work that.

Xaragoth - I forgot to mention that im thinking of putting a whip in her back hand as if shes about to strike target dfown with her whip, but ya I'll have to play around with it more.

So quick update im gonna go through with the second pose first because its the easiest to do then I'll go back to the actiony pose.
  • SA_22
    second pose is begging for a whip!! :D

new purple looks killer!!!
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Man this damn good stuff. The face looks incredible, its near photo-realistic. Unfortunately next to the face the suit stands out as non photo-realistic. It's close but not quite there. Maybe if you add some wear into the leather and lighten the seems it could finish it off. Something like this:

24-Tony-Almeida-s-Carlos-Bernard-Screen-Worn-Leather-Jacket-Season-7-1.jpg

Good luck, this is inspiring work!