Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Speed Animating Thread

Replies

• cedrico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cedrico polycounter lvl 13
    hey cainy, yes i mean the ability to lock part of the rig with the rest following along for instance. Am i clear enough :-) ?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    ik?
    I'm so confused right now
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anthonymcgrath polycounter lvl 3
    how have i missed this thread?! :)

Steve - the t-rex and four soldier guys are comedy gif gold! love it hahaha!

heres a few little anims from myself.. sorry but they're on vimeo and chewyube mainly because i'm useless at giffing up - i'll try and sort my act out!

simple hi speed parkour super acrobat sequence..
    https://vimeo.com/23707027

a shorter clip - just playing with a butterfly twist..
    https://vimeo.com/34839959

death animations.. meatsack physics heh..
    https://vimeo.com/36614536
    https://vimeo.com/36614597
    https://vimeo.com/36614635

i've got one or two other clips i'll try and dig out too

love this thread :D

ps - these aren't 20 min time trial clips btw sorry about that but thought i'd share as its always fun to see all the different anim ideas ppl have :)
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    Can anyone tell me how I make gifs out of my animations? I'm using 3ds Max
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve explains how he goes about it a few pages in
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve explains how he goes about it a few pages in

Oh right thanks I'll have a look through.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second step, bouncing a ball that comes to a stop.

I'm open to critique, this is now my 2nd animation ever and I want to learn from every mistake.

oiKgkWp.gif
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Second step, bouncing a ball that comes to a stop.

I'm open to critique, this is now my 2nd animation ever and I want to learn from every mistake.

oiKgkWp.gif

You should really concentrate on the timing/spacing on these bouncing balls. Right now the falling of the ball feels off because it takes too long to fall and bounce back up. If you have the animators survival guide(which you should get if you dont) there is a much better explanation of how to apply these

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qE6xcl75m0w/UoMAKw5TJ5I/AAAAAAAAAjg/-q8SYfiZGvo/s1600/Timing_Williams2.png
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep agreed. After first bounce it seems to drop a little fast which throws off the physics a bit. Also the arcs at the too of the bounces need stretching a bit.
    Good attempt tho and definitely get that book it's a pearl. Also "the mechanics of motion" is great too. Both are good books.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez@ Thanks for the advice, I'm watching digital tutors tutorials and will definitely check out the survival guide and thanks for the link it's very helpful.

@anthonymcgrath - I can see how bad it is now, I'm going do some 2D studies and get try again. I'll look into that book as well, thanks.
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one - i did a google image search for "bouncing ball animation arc" and there's heaps of pics showing how to go about it :)

bear in mind you need to decide what kind of weight the ball might have too - its a good exercise to do say 3 different balls bouncing down a flight of steps.. bowling ball, tennis ball and maybe a powerball or a more 'cartoony' ball
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    F*ck f*ck and re-f*ck...this thread just made me realize how much I've been slacking this past month...

I have nothing serious to show you guys and that's sahme considering I wanna work in the indsutry as an animator..Keep them coming, I shall bring something to the stage one day.-_-
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a quick question, I noticed that when animating game characters you create a walk cycles/run that stays in the same place but how do climbing animations work? are they in the same spot as well?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Walks and Runs are sometimes done in place. But not always. A lot of games actually do walk cycles that translate through space, and use a trajectory bone/pill/connect. Different names depending on different studios.

But yes. just like runs and walks, climbs can be done in place, or moving. Generally for any of it, if you do the motion, and have them actually walk forward, or climb up, it will look more naturaly than an in-place walk cycle.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Walks and Runs are sometimes done in place. But not always. A lot of games actually do walk cycles that translate through space, and use a trajectory bone/pill/connect. Different names depending on different studios.

But yes. just like runs and walks, climbs can be done in place, or moving. Generally for any of it, if you do the motion, and have them actually walk forward, or climb up, it will look more naturaly than an in-place walk cycle.

That is really interesting, thanks for the reply.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    pill
    :poly141:
  • Slozhny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slozhny polycounter lvl 5
    can't set 15 fps in gifCam ((((
  • MattiasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattiasG polycounter lvl 8
    lol, 20 minutes is not much time xD tried to stick to 20 mins for this one. But to be honest i ended up spening 30 mins on it xP

8d84f1bbe0-chopper.gif

He needs alot of polish, and something more to make it more interesting, maybe some belly fat jiggle :)

sooo, brb ^^
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    ak_melee.gif?lgfp=3000

Still working my way back into fp animating after my 4 or 5ish year hiatus.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic walk cycle, crits welcome, I'm immersing myself in as much animation information as I can find and loving every minute.

VYFkKyF.gif
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slozhny > cool walk! liking the arms and legs a ton. it's not looping, guessing thats bips fault? :D
    but still, having done such a smooth walk using bip is a feat in it's own right! amazing!:thumbup:

svenWip1.gif
    ~3 hours (hey, it's biped! I'd say that has to be a world record of sorts.. with these tools)

dark souls inspired stuff I guess
    got a bunch of cleaning to do ofc, but I think the base is there..
    just as he does the spin move, I had a ton of gimbal lock on the COM rotation (not that I'd ever know since the curve editor is made by/for monkeys), couldn't find a way to fix it (not gonna mention that motion builder has a gimbal lock filter), so I had to key every frame there..
    ofc it probably looks like ass between those frames, but that'll be fine for now :)

edit:
    also, some of the dota2 rig guys have messed up uv's (opened in maya 2013)..
    so Sven here (I dunno, Leauge4lyfe) had to go without textures :(
  • ParksMarks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParksMarks polycounter lvl 5
    I did another walk cycle- I think I'm going to have to do some hardcore research before I do anymore.. forgive the awful rigging- this is my second character rig.
    bazt_walk.gif
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    I had a ton of gimbal lock on the COM rotation (not that I'd ever know since the curve editor is made by/for monkeys), couldn't find a way to fix it (not gonna mention that motion builder has a gimbal lock filter), so I had to key every frame there..

Did you try curves -> Euler filter, in the graph editor? Solves most of the usual gimbal lock issues.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using 3Ds max to animate but whenever I try to use in/out tangents (step I think) it just acts as if it's a normal default tangent. I was watching a tutorial on digital tutors and his seems to work correctly and I followed him exactly but mine just reverts to auto smoothing between frames. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More ball practice, I found tutorials on spacing and I'm trying to get it right - any crits?

xwFgQFy.gif
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    I would really recommend that you use curves to work with your bouncing ball. If you can make the curves appear like in the image below, you will be able to make a great bouncing ball in no time with minimal amount of frames. Note how you would have to break the tangents to make a sharp change of direction.

soc_18.jpg

Best part is, you can use a similar technique when working with characters jumping around.
  • cainy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cainy polycounter lvl 5
    Small update

[vv]100600516[/vv]
  • Nixellion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nixellion polycounter lvl 7
    dark souls inspired stuff I guess
    got a bunch of cleaning to do ofc, but I think the base is there..
    just as he does the spin move, I had a ton of gimbal lock on the COM rotation (not that I'd ever know since the curve editor is made by/for monkeys), couldn't find a way to fix it (not gonna mention that motion builder has a gimbal lock filter), so I had to key every frame there..
    ofc it probably looks like ass between those frames, but that'll be fine for now :)
    (

Yeah, as MiAlx said, try Euler Filter, it is pretty much the same as in Maya.
    I am trying to move to Maya myself, and I had a period where I though "Damn, maya's animation tool are so good, I wish I had those in Max! Like just look at that awesome Euler Filter in Maya!" but then I saw that there is just the same filter in max, and it works the same way...

Next step of my thoughts: "Damn, maya has such a cool and easy way to set up IK-FK switch, it is built into the IK solver!"...
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny wrote: »
    I would really recommend that you use curves to work with your bouncing ball. If you can make the curves appear like in the image below, you will be able to make a great bouncing ball in no time with minimal amount of frames. Note how you would have to break the tangents to make a sharp change of direction.

soc_18.jpg

Best part is, you can use a similar technique when working with characters jumping around.

Thanks for the advice, I took some time to learn more about the graph editor and produced this -

7YifTCM.gif

I'll make sure to keep that those graphs saved to my desktop for when I attempt a ball coming to a bouncing stop.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jimmyswang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread is such an encouragement!
    I did this earlier, and think should join you guys
    21xcr8C.gif
  • jimmyswang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all, this thread is so inspiring! I want to join in!
    here is my recent practice, takes couple hours.
    21xcr8C.gif
  • MattiasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have polished my speedanimation of this big guy smacking the ground with his axe. Feel free to comment with your feedback :)

chopper.gif
    chopper2.gif
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx wrote: »
    Euler filter, in the graph editor?
    I thought I wasn't allowed to use tha graph editor with bip? I'm sooo confused! :D

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    using 3Ds max to animate
    O2wSx19394.jpg
    :poly136:
    Nixellion wrote: »
    Euler Filter, it is pretty much the same as in Maya.
    I'm not even comparing max to maya when I flame. it's all about max vs motion builder (or rather bip vs mobu rig).
    But I used the Euler Filter on the cloth on the female mage character here, I mean it sorted out the rotations well enough I guess (even though the cloth isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, but I don't care any more) - but to even get gimbal on something as easy as a skirt flying backwards is just silly :)

Continuing my bip trial by fire exercises:
    (and then some creative fun with unity, sorry about that)
    lina1.gif
    lina2.gif

sven1.gif
    sven2.gif
    this one might be a bit too "cartoony"/bouncy for the style I'd want to hit..but I'm just thrilled I managed to mirror poses and loop something with bip!:poly142:
    sven3a.gif
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thatanimator - lol I changed to Maya soon after posting that, love that image though, it really explains it.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    @thatanimator That flame casting animation is sweet! Could do with the lighting being a tiny bit brighter though. A little hard to see some of the details of the character.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, what settings do i need to put on my playblast in Maya to post the animations here?And where to upload?? This thread is amazing

Edit: nvm, found in the first page how to do it, i will post some of mine later :)
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Knocked-out a quick run cycle with one of the open-source Blade Symphony models, courtesy of Puny Human (http://www.blade-symphony.com/)

ui53GQI.gif

YssTUxb.gif
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Been a while due to setting my portfolios up and networking. Trying out some 2D never properly done it so here's a work in progress.
    About 30min so far:

maximus_wip_by_petro_hawczak-d7s8msj.gif
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another 35min. Still having trouble finding out why some .gif are faster then others...really annoying. Saved and exported the same way as my previous one, but now its faster...anyone know anything?

maximus_wip_2_by_petro_hawczak-d7sceqr.gif
  • Widunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More quadroped practice. Working on a run cycle.

wolf_run_fwd.gif
  • red_egymer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    red_egymer null
    Hey guys, this is a wip of something i've been working on... Anyone know how to embed videos? :S

http://youtu.be/iQhpJdZ0ssI
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little old school fun :)
    Drawings took 15min, compiling was NOT 5mins....

flick_by_petro_hawczak-d7szadi.gif
  • MattiasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    red_egymer wrote: »
    Hey guys, this is a wip of something i've been working on... Anyone know how to embed videos? :S

http://youtu.be/iQhpJdZ0ssI

Awesome ! Cant wait to see he end resault ! :D
  • red_egymer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    red_egymer null
    OH! Some helpful stuff i've found randomly, if you want to embed videos :D
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97388
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is taking far longer then I planned! Probably would have been quicker on paper, but anyway here's another update, need to sort out the shoulder popping in too much. Front foot is far too quick.

There's a lot to fix :poly142: Only real part I'm happy with is how his bottom lip stretches...and that was an accident.
    Crits are more then welcome guys!

maximus_wip_3_by_petro_hawczak-d7uf4d9.gif
  • joekane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and so much of the work here is great. I feel it's about time I submit some work and get a little more active...
    so here is a recent 4 Day animation test

[vv]100150539[/vv]
  • MattiasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sandking.gif

Started this one as a 20 min challange. But after 20 min it looked pretty stupid. Played a bit more with it and ended up with this. Took maybe about 3-4 hours. Fun thing; the shatter effect took me more time to figure out than the acctual animation process xD
    So if anyone have a good tip on how to simulate a cool shatter effect using maya pls tell. I tryed the DMM plugin but I dont know, I didnt manage to get the resault I was after. So pls tell if u have a better way to make stuff break into pieces :)

And feel free to feedback this one. There are some stuff I gonne retweak, so give me a shout if u feel something is wrong with it :)

//MattiasG
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattiasG Really like that creature animation you have there. Lovely rig as well and I too am looking for some easier way to break up the environment, anyone got any ideas?
    Spent a few more minutes on this again:

max_the_dino_by_petro_hawczak-d7v42dp.gif
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    MattiasG wrote: »
    sandking.gif

Started this one as a 20 min challange. But after 20 min it looked pretty stupid. Played a bit more with it and ended up with this. Took maybe about 3-4 hours. Fun thing; the shatter effect took me more time to figure out than the acctual animation process xD
    So if anyone have a good tip on how to simulate a cool shatter effect using maya pls tell. I tryed the DMM plugin but I dont know, I didnt manage to get the resault I was after. So pls tell if u have a better way to make stuff break into pieces :)

And feel free to feedback this one. There are some stuff I gonne retweak, so give me a shout if u feel something is wrong with it :)

//MattiasG

cool ;)