Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Redeemed/Demacian Riven

D_Wall
polygon
Offline / Send Message
D_Wall polygon
nLNYZnu.png
[SKETCHFAB]af16681aff544c98b619959a6da22ead[/SKETCHFAB]

Man! The things I want to do with this contest haha, really hard to make a decision. I've actually always been a fan of the League's lore, mainly because it's just enough to flesh out the world and characters, but still leaves a lot to the imagination. I wanted to do an Ionian theme'd Riven because of the hinted relation between Yasuo and Riven.....buuuut I felt that the Lunar Revel skin for her had enough Ionian thematics, and I didn't really want to remake that skin. I've always loved Redeemed Riven's splash art though, and her in game model isn't really all that close to the splash art though so Redeemed Riven is the way to go!
iNQVwUA.jpg

Because I'm shooting for something closer to the original splash I wanted to first get a silhouette down to better understand her form's and proportions, at least the major ones.
I0bZjhu.jpg

After that I started sketching out ideas of the body shape underneath all her armor. I quickly realized that major parts of her armor are practically skin tight, so I might have to adjust slightly for believability.
qZ0ANe9.jpg

Time to jot down some notes! Can't obviously just copy the splash directly because she's in pose, and was also time to measure height.
xZUd3m1.jpg

League is very hand painted; variations are there between itself and it's peer's like Dota 2 and other handpainted games like Darksiders and Torchlight, but I wanted to gather reference for ways to represent the materials that Redeemed Riven's going to have. To get an idea of current techniques I looked at Riot's more recent skins and champions like Sion, Azir, and Yasuo. I also looked at Garen because Redeemed Riven's design feels much more like a Demacian then an Ionian or Noxian. I also looked at some of the stylized texture art by Genesis Prado to get some inspiration on how I want to handle her materials.
QAAvyNh.jpg
resample(lanczos).jpeg

That's it for now! Can't wait to start the sculpt :)

Replies