Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Paskie
    First item for Chen that i have made, think I'll do a helmet also.

BBFA324D9FDDF0EE80A30030DED660E5FD2206CC
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Konras wrote: »
    @Dvonio yes, however map is empty, no other heroes, no creep. I would like to take some video footage with some kills/skill usage. Or is there any console/chat command to actually start a game?

you can use -spawncreeps , but you have to enable cheats in console "sv_cheats 1"

in this link you have all the commands I think http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=22468 and you can also create enemy heroes and level them up
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    700_max.jpg
    some bristle stuff from me and Zalak!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The set is good overall, but I'm not a big fan of those gems. The green is just too saturated and popping out a bit too much. It should blend a bit more with his other colors.
  • sdalton
    Offline / Send Message
    sdalton polycounter lvl 6
    bozza wrote: »
    This seems like a silly question, but particles are now required for the BH weapon so i just chucked in the LOD1 to test it out and it doesnt have the same alignment? I think i understand how the particle effects work, but given im using the same .smd file i thought they would align up.

EbO0oGu.png
    Good catch, this is our bug, not yours! This week is oddly scheduled due to the holiday here in the US, but a fix will go out with the next release!
  • sdalton
    Offline / Send Message
    sdalton polycounter lvl 6
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Thanks, I already posted on dev.dota on a particle bug thread that anuxi created yesterday, but will upload it when its finished and leave a dev comment and look trought dev.dota thank you man.

I've fixed this so it should be easier to work with in the future. The effect will orient upwards only now. This week is oddly scheduled due to the holiday here in the US, but it'll be fixed in the next release. You shouldn't have to change anything on your end.

Thanks!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all,
    So I've noticed a huge bug on my items (at least one of them).
    My positive votes have reverted back to an earlier number and have reduced my star rating on my dagger for slark:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154830012

Here is a screen shot of the view stats:

(removed)

Now this is the same item that disappeared from the workshop for a time. You can see the drop in views/votes.

I'll be contacting support of course, but man... that's disappointing to see because the dagger now only shows 4 stars in the workshop. :(
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    This stuff happens a lot. It should pop back up soon.
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the support and critiques everyone!

Spudnik - Thanks man! Yeah I used the Xoliul shader for the screenshots :)
    Nice work on your SK set! The shaders came out really nice!!!

Robo - looks cool! though i think i'd prefer the gem with a little less glow, nice work on your other recent sets as well
  • Plant
    bozza wrote: »
    This seems like a silly question, but particles are now required for the BH weapon so i just chucked in the LOD1 to test it out and it doesnt have the same alignment? I think i understand how the particle effects work, but given im using the same .smd file i thought they would align up.

EbO0oGu.png

Is there any chance you can post a mesh you used for creating the particles? I haven't had a chance to sit down and work with it so just curious on what you're actually importing (just verticess or a full mesh)

Would be much appreciated!
  • PoPcorn
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    My positive votes have reverted back to an earlier number and have reduced my star rating on my dagger for slark:

Here is a screen shot of the view stats:

JpYC9ey.jpg

Now this is the same item that disappeared from the workshop for a time. You can see the drop in views/votes.

I'll be contacting support of course, but man... that's disappointing to see because the dagger now only shows 4 stars in the workshop. :(
    That happened to me when I looked at my latest set this morning. It's back to normal now though.
  • gordon13
    Hi, I'm working on a courier and have been trying to test it in game using the importer, but dota keeps crashing every time i click the import button. The importer window just says "attempting import" (or something along those lines) and the game simply shuts down without any other message.

The setup of the model, skeleton etc seems fine because I compiled it manually using studiomdl and works perfectly including all animations in the Alien Swarm model viewer.

Has anyone had this problem before?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Hey all,

This happens because Steam community server shut down from time to time. Servers goes down, and the statictics (or sometimes whole item) go down with it.
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks mates, after i saw it ingame I'd change some stuff but have no time atm
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    so while looking for a character to do for this upcoming months competition i noticed a discrepancy between what has been "accepted for game" in the steam workshop vs what actually shows up in the in game store..

are these items pending or did get in but have since been removed ?
  • JeremyKlein
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyKlein polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the comments on the Sniper's The Whispering Death.
    It does look a bit 40k, I thought if i textured it just right it would'nt look 40k at all, I may have failed :\... ...but hey, any real 40k fan would know its so totally not 40k :P

HntrLuc, damn man that Blood Covenant Set is pretty damn awesome, the attention to detail, the craftsmanship, and the level of polish on that set, it all looks so awesome. good job dude.

Got another item up on the shop, a Sven Sword, Concept and Lore by Rayph.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157340519
    22968F6FBAD5D0FCC4211F4AF7D89155B393F9F9
    DDCDE04F54A138BFC056405B2A90671D93D57576

here is a crapped up GiF:
    power_Gif_V2_web.gif
  • Hellmouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Egads. That's sick.
  • UltimateHurl
    Nice Sven sword Jeremy, I was one of the people who mentioned the Whispering Death looked to me like a lasgun (on the Steam page), but then it's been a good while since I played 40k!

I'm fairly new to modelling for Dota, just put up my first item in the workshop, based on the myth of the sword in the stone, I call it Calesvol.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157024765
    268x268.resizedimage

Look forward to contributing more!
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    sdalton wrote: »
    I've fixed this so it should be easier to work with in the future. The effect will orient upwards only now. This week is oddly scheduled due to the holiday here in the US, but it'll be fixed in the next release. You shouldn't have to change anything on your end.

Thanks!

Thanks you very much!! very nice to have you around here :D
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Can someone tell me if there's something wrong on my end or Valve's end? I know Vlad's worked with other ability spawns but I don't recall anyone working with Forge Spirits. I wanted to test the base sculpt mesh to see if it would work alright with the default animations, but it seems like there's a problem with the compiler:

In Max, loading the animation file gives a good result, couple of errors but the design works fine with the animations.

Loading the animations in Dota 2 however, is a different story:

What's going on here?
    17TETSz.jpg

Looks like the animation files are being scaled down or corrupted someway when I compile them. Anyone got a idea what's going on?

EDIT: To make sure I wasn't going crazy, I tried compiling the original forge spirit FBX. It loads fine without any errors. This makes me believe there's something with the quickly thrown together rig, but if that's the case why does importing in the animation in Max have no errors?

Headaches for another time, I'm going to start the sculpting later.
  • gordon13
    Hi, I'm working on a courier and have been trying to test it in game using the importer, but dota keeps crashing every time i click the import button. The importer window just says "attempting import" (or something along those lines) and the game simply shuts down without any other message.

The setup of the model, skeleton etc seems fine because I compiled it manually using studiomdl and works perfectly including all animations in the Alien Swarm model viewer.

Has anyone had this problem before?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Damm JK that sword is epic! haha!

Thanks to those who are adding to the particle bug thread! Should help them find out whats wrong hopefully!

Welp I finished my drow set!
    presentation_jpg1+-+Copy.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @JeremyKlein
    It seems that your textures ingame always look as if they're double resolution from anything else, always really crisp and clear... Are you a wizard and where can I learn this Black Magic?
  • bozza
    sdalton wrote: »
    Good catch, this is our bug, not yours! This week is oddly scheduled due to the holiday here in the US, but a fix will go out with the next release!
    Yesssssss, i didnt screw up something! Thanks for the update, i think its great you post on here.
    Plant wrote: »
    Is there any chance you can post a mesh you used for creating the particles? I haven't had a chance to sit down and work with it so just curious on what you're actually importing (just verticess or a full mesh)

Would be much appreciated!
    I literally chose the same .smd file as my LOD1 just to test it out, so what you're seeing there is me importing the full mesh into the particle section identical to the weapon model, so i guess it just "spawns" a particle on each vertex of the model (up to a certain point) and ditches the rest of the geometry. Hope that helps!
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Got another item up on the shop, a Sven Sword, Concept and Lore by Rayph.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157340519
    22968F6FBAD5D0FCC4211F4AF7D89155B393F9F9

Amazing work. It's a Darksiders dream team!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @JeremyKlein
    It seems that your textures ingame always look as if they're double resolution from anything else, always really crisp and clear... Are you a wizard and where can I learn this Black Magic?

@JeremyKlein...

Yes, please! Must share secrets! :D

That sword is amazing.
  • Robbiek1000
    anyone have access to the new Lion model and textures yet? If yes, where can I get them/ can you give them to me?
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Hello everybody. Cool stuff as always.
    Anuxi - Great job, very inspirational.
    @JeremyKlein - please share your secret. Fantastic sword.
    And I came with problem.
    Almost completed the Lone druid set I started long time ago.
    drutest.jpg
    tftest.jpg
    beartest.jpg
    But can not test it ingame.
    druid-test.jpg
    Tried to insert files in the client manually.
    this method http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...postcount=2728
    does not work for me.
    tried different approaches, but ingame preview does not change default state.
    I see no changes in loadout window and ingame.
    Never tried manual ingame test before.
    My latest SK test worked fine with dota2test integrated ingame previewer.
    May be there was some updates in client since tutor was written.

I compiled all the files via dota 2 test client.
    I took them from their folders
    E:\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\lone_druid\0x055765fc
    and place into
    E:\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\lone_druid
    All naming is same as dota2 beta client(checked with cgfscape)
    also added cloth files and all other files from dota 2 beta lone druid model folder.

Have no idea what I do wrong. Killed 2 days trying to solve this, no luck(
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap wrote: »
    Hello everybody. Cool stuff as always.
    Anuxi - Great job, very inspirational.
    @JeremyKlein - please share your secret. Fantastic sword.
    And I came with problem.
    Almost completed the Lone druid set I started long time ago.
    drutest.jpg
    tftest.jpg
    beartest.jpg
    But can not test it ingame.
    druid-test.jpg
    Tried to insert files in the client manually.
    this method http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...postcount=2728
    does not work for me.
    tried different approaches, but ingame preview does not change default state.
    I see no changes in loadout window and ingame.
    Never tried manual ingame test before.
    My latest SK test worked fine with dota2test integrated ingame previewer.
    May be there was some updates in client since tutor was written.

I compiled all the files via dota 2 test client.
    I took them from their folders
    E:\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\lone_druid\0x055765fc
    and place into
    E:\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\lone_druid
    All naming is same as dota2 beta client(checked with cgfscape)
    also added cloth files and all other files from dota 2 beta lone druid model folder.

Have no idea what I do wrong. Killed 2 days trying to solve this, no luck(
    Ahah, i see what you problem is. Frst of all, to test the bear you have to go to the Ability section of the import, then select the druid and you'll be able to select the Spirit Bear.
    Second of all, the True Form is not supported as of now, but when it will be, it'll appear in the same menu.
  • Stefco
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco wrote: »
    Axe is so manly he needs no six-pack, 4-pack works just as good!
  • Stefco
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    hahaha exactly.
    well his textures are so blurry i could only see 4 abs, the other 2 are hidden by the belt :D
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message

here is a real crapped up GiF:
    power_Gif.gif

Thats AWESOME.

how did u get the scrolling UV's and color change to work on a weapon?
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Stefco - Good job.
    Vlad - thank you. It works now)
    I will have to fix weights and make some shader masks adjustments, but it is already routine)
    Hope Valve will fix true form soon. Eagerly want to look on mine ingame.:)
    importingFail.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Pale-Face wrote: »
    Thats AWESOME.

how did u get the scrolling UV's and color change to work on a weapon?
    Color change works on every Sven cosmetics, and scrolling texture is defined by the detail map.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    with the scrolling uvs.. can u supply your own detail map texture? and do u have to do some VMT trickery to get it all working? or must the character support this originally
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The character must support this originally.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Pale-Face wrote: »
    with the scrolling uvs.. can u supply your own detail map texture? and do u have to do some VMT trickery to get it all working? or must the character support this originally
    VMT magic is forbidden, hero and all of his items use one material, this happens because hero and all of his items are "baked" at the start of the match, i guess.

So you'll have to roll with the detail texture that hero has. Hopefully, they're fitting most of the time.
  • hellmasterx
    Need feedback, any tips to make it better? also nice bear.

lLdDPI9.jpg
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    hellmasterx: The helmet could have a lighter color (similar to the shoulder), to make a better contrast with the horns. :)

Mount done!
    BcArIMM.jpg
  • Gamer_Alien
    Hi everyone.

I have finished modeling a new staff for crystal maiden, but i dont have a clue on the method that *should* be used to get some promo pics off my model (noob here, go easy)

I dont want to use the ingame pick from the model importer, and inside blender i have no mask effects which are essential for realism. I also dont know how to import it into the alien swarm SDK model viewer ( although it works perfectly for all the models already ingame, just gives me an error when i try to import my compiled mdl)

Thanks for the replies, as they will become resources for future people that have such questions.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Everyone does it differently. Some do use the alien swarm SDK and I know a lot of people(myself included) use Marmoset Toolbag. Sure you don't get the EXACT look but you can fake it with lights and post-fx
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    my items that were accepted last month and put into a patch still haven't gotten into the shop. Does anybody know if this is a common occurrence?
  • Gamer_Alien
    @Sukkoto Thanks for the reply. i have take a snapshot from inside blender to show it to you guys here ...

How is it ? if it has flaws, tell me and i will try to fix them.

lxv1k.png

So .. anything wrong or general opnions/ critics?
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    @Sukkoto Thanks for the reply. i have take a snapshot from inside blender to show it to you guys here ...

How is it ? if it has flaws, tell me and i will try to fix them.

lxv1k.png

So .. anything wrong or general opnions/ critics?

Well. I would say you to look more on how Valve create their textures.
    Gold is not just bright yellow color. Actually gold has reflections and its color varies. Try to look on photo reference and top rated workshop items. Chen is good example what i mean - there are some golden elements in his armor. Look through his materials, I think it will help. Also If you trying to create crystal - Look at the crystals handpainted examples.
    IMO World of Warcraft textures are good thing to look at.
    Also do not forget about gradients and hand painted shadows. Surfaces are rarely looks like plain color. Brightness varies from top to bottom.
    Baking ambient occlusion can help a lot.
    Anyway interesting design, but too bright now in my opinion.)
    Hope it help.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Ceedric and I were hard at work on this Pugna set. Last night he uploaded the sculpt and forgot to update here. Let us know what you think as we are moving a long to the next stages.

hwze6qli.jpg
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe we should sticky some kind of a technical thread or make a FAQ thread. Right now its hilarious how many single threads are made, and the forum in general are becoming a bit messy.
    Something like this could be easily just a question in technical thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122812
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122545
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122746
    Just first two pages of and 3 threads that should be not here.
    Also some people started making thread for sets, instead of their workshop grouping all of their work, that in my opinion should also be forbidden.
    However maybe I am just to overreacting, I would like to know what you guys think about it?:)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    There already is a Technical Thread on the 3rd page of threads right now. It should be stickied though to avoid people not being able to find it.

As for limiting the creation of threads, I don't think it's too big of a deal. Nearly everything is posted in here anyway if you check every day. The personal threads are just better to see all of one person's WIP's consolidated. I would prefer as you said to try and limit people to having one personal workshop thread but there's not really a good way to enforce that.
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Good idea. spent a lot of time trying to find info about my Lone druid bug. Definitely need to create something like FAQ without unnecessary comments. May be even hero - specified posts, that can be filled with useful info.
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Crossed Faith - Juggernaut

268x268.resizedimage