Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Town Pre-Demo [Adventure Horror Game]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
ot-01-280311.jpg

Here's what happened: my pc popped. That put me back and few days getting new parts only to find out more damage was done putting me weeks behind. Instead of this delay, I'm releasing the demo early with a Pre-Demo version that was currently testing for the full release.

The plus side is the demo is out. The downside is I'm not going to be able to quickly implement feedback, fix bugs, and move forward for at least a week or two. No big deal.

What the demo includes: a single level with, on average 20-30 minutes run-time, plenty of secrets and the overall feeling it wasn't exactly what was meant to be released.

All of the content was created by myself. However, the sounds are all still UDK included sounds, and there's still a lot of placeholder art.

Link to download:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/old-town/downloads/old-town-pre-demo-alpha

couple of vids to get you wet:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SIE7UdYvfc[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNgWkcvG3I[/ame]

On-going progress in my sketchbook thread:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52565

It's a stroke of bad luck, but maybe for the good.

Replies

• Fang
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Cool! Will be sure to check this out.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Cholden: I got this from you via a PM. Downloaded and played it, and here is my unfiltered criticism.

Pretty weird dude. I can kinda sense what you're going for it seems. Somewhere in the same neighborhood as the Penumbra games, Silent Hill or Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Its definitely an accomplishment to have done it all yourself, but it feels very rough right now to me. Especially graphically. You've got just a couple simplistic reused items, and a lot of very low res textures, plus some awful detail normals on all surfaces that makes everything look like rock. The writing and grammar on the mysterious journal notes also seems about middle-school level or worse. I remember as I was playing through seriously wondering "Are these notes supposed to be written by somebody who's mentally handicapped, or just really high?"
  • jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    The oven in the second video looks super clean, like... cleaner than my oven :P Otherwise it looks cool, will download it tomorrow and check out the game
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Very impressive to have done it all yourself. I played through to the elevator but when in it my computer decided to go super saiyan and got at least 5 times louder. Haven't experienced that before but I have 2 weeks to finish uni work for graduation.. I closed the game.

Anyway, I gotta say it's incredibly annoying wrestling with the camera, turning left and right while i'm turning.. shakes would be better. Also annoying when doors shove you out the way, usually into a corner, if you could implement doors that allow you to move back yourself then that'd be good. Some types of lights have far too much bloom that I can't see the model, but for the normal lightbulbs there's no bloom at all.

Little bugs - There are some walls I can walk into and see the other side:
    sdfsdfsn.jpg
    ssdsdeee.jpg

These cabinet doors also rotate too far and clip into one another:

aaawwe.jpg

There's also a lot of decal problems on many things.
  • Fang
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Agreed with what's been said, impressive. You have captured a great moody atmosphere too, I'm digging it. If you want crit on the gameplay itself, one thing struck me. The first room you start out in, I would've liked some GUI when I hover over the cabinet doors, visual feedback that I could interact with it. I also later found myself spamming the 'E' key (interact) on other cabinets to find out which one I actually could interact with.

Keep it up though!