Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Blobby from the standard brush. From trying to build form at high subdivs. Build form at lower subdivs, use the higher ones to refine.
  • Uliss
  • ZUBILO
    Uliss wrote: »

Awesome textures! gj :thumbup:
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

Looking Great! :) Wasn't sure about the handle, but it seems to work pretty well.

I've blocked out the rest of my brewmaster set.

For the back I'm going with a wooden shield with parts from a barrel and a spear. I will probably have some tri's left so I might add something.
    The shoulder will have a dragon skin armor like the concept I made and also a hairpiece so it looks more like a warrior.
    As for the arm slot I will keep it simple and go with the concept I made, but except for the pointy spikes I will make some nice round extrudes on it.

Let me know what you guys think, before I start working on the high poly versions :)

jjgNXUY.jpg
  • Asi
    How to fix "non manifold mesh as input" in blender, is Decimate only modifire that can reduce number of tris? I would appreciate help :D
  • Don Don
    Made a new account in an effort to start unifying all my online IDs (previously Junglehermit). Hopefully I never "outgrow" this one and feel the need to change it again!
  • shellnut
    Asi wrote: »
    How to fix "non manifold mesh as input" in blender, is Decimate only modifire that can reduce number of tris? I would appreciate help :D

Dude.. I use Blender too. I do it manually because if you use Edgesplit/Decimate it ruins your model and you don't want that.

You can check the non manifold meshes by this method I use. Without selecting anything in wireframe mode (vertex), press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M. You will see all the highlighted vertices. Just join adjacent vertices at the centers. (Alt+M) and you're done. =)
  • shellnut
    Blobby from the standard brush. From trying to build form at high subdivs. Build form at lower subdivs, use the higher ones to refine.

Thanks Anuxi. Unfortunately, I use Sculptris and when ever I sculpt from lower subdivisions I get problems when baking normals and A0's in Blender. So to avoid that first, I subdivide the model in blender and then export it as obj to Sculptris.
    [EDIT:At this moment I really didn't understand what Anuxi said due to my noobness in modeling.. I already had a formed lowpoly models for the whole set before Sculptris. lol]

Anyway, this is what I was trying to achieve as close as I can Sculptris from my imagination. Just needs more polish. hehe

8599385311_f27a797470_b.jpg
  • Trow
    @Asi - There is also an addon for blender called "meshlint" that will select non-manifold, triangles, N-gons, and poles for you.
    It has saved my sanity when trying to export .obj to sculptris or xNormal.
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Just keep in mind that if your details are not really refined on your high poly with 2K maps, they will barely show up (if at all) on your scaled down texture maps. You can lose a lot of information during this process if it's not planned ahead.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Asi wrote: »
    I know when I have this problem in Maya there's a Cleanup menu option - not sure about Blender though :(
  • Uliss
    shellnut wrote: »
    Thanks Anuxi. Unfortunately, I use Sculptris and when ever I sculpt from lower subdivisions I get problems when baking normals and A0's in Blender. So to avoid that first, I subdivide the model in blender and then export it as obj to Sculptris.

Anyway, this is what I was trying to achieve as close as I can Sculptris from my imagination. Just needs more polish. hehe

8599385311_f27a797470_b.jpg

Anuxi gave u the recipe. Switching from different levels of mesh resolution is a must have option if its not just a concept stage. Sculpting via dynamesh is not enough to get the right results. U must carefully make you clean and polished Low poly mesh and then go and just put some details on higher res mesh.
  • shellnut
    Anuxi gave u the recipe. Switching from different levels of mesh resolution is a must have option if its not just a concept stage. Sculpting via dynamesh is not enough to get the right results. U must carefully make you clean and polished Low poly mesh and then go and just put some details on higher res mesh.

Thanks a lot guys.! Ill do more details in low poly next time. hehe. :)

This is the lowpoly I actually sculpted from.

8599624461_11b9e41761_b.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    FAB673170CD0AACB6BEFBF7493F1BB1E295CCD38
    Clickity click!

I'm so in love with the antimage materials i almost want to make a video of how shiny the blades are. Antimage and Slardar both have the awesomest materials.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    FAB673170CD0AACB6BEFBF7493F1BB1E295CCD38
    Clickity click!

I'm so in love with the antimage materials i almost want to make a video of how shiny the blades are. Antimage and Slardar both have the awesomest materials.

tumblr_mfcv0754GC1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    AHEM
    I don't think I ever gave you permission to use that let alone hear you ask me.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    You can still participate
    ZRJ9v9H.jpg
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    I will reserve this post until the two of you work this out..
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Vlad but this is the last straw, I've reported the submission as stolen.
    I can see you have absolutely no respect for intellectual property.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Art Appropriation is a really common occurrence in our industry. Here's a good read..

http://freelanceswitch.com/freelancing-essentials/what-to-do-when-someone-steals-your-work/
  • shellnut
    Konras wrote: »
    Vlad and Hawt... :D
    WTF Parrot - YouTube
    LOL!!! I faved this video now.. :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone seriously thinks that it's a good idea to "steal" something from literally two threads away?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone seriously thinks that it's a good idea to "steal" something from literally two threads away?

That's absolutely no excuse, If I recall correctly I said in BOLD
    cV49PA3.png
    My concepts are up for critique and nothing else
    if someone wants to use one I expect them to ASK ME first
    In the case with Jalcobers Alchemist set, he ASKED ME if he could take a crack at it and I happily agreed.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    if someone wants to use one I expect them to ASK ME first
    Oh sorry i missed that, you want me to ask you now?
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    As entertaining as this is, at some point you guys should consider the private message system.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    As entertaining as this is, at some point you guys should consider the private message system.

Hey I didn't ask for any of this, I'd much rather not spam up the dota thread with this either.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I didn't ask for any of this, I'd much rather not spam up the dota thread with this either.
    It would've been cooler if you answered my question too, you know.

So what do you guys think? It's so cool, it's a shame Valve just used it all on his weapons almost exclusively
    89A0B1D233D88FE23C958BC0458F18A06642926A

Is the guy who did the Brew set that got in is among us? I wanted to ask him how he textured those wraps.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    We're all friends here, except one.

Is no one going to do anything? No one thinks this is kinda scummy?
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12

I guess it was removed already.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    shellnut wrote: »
    Thanks a lot guys.! Ill do more details in low poly next time. hehe. :)

This is the lowpoly I actually sculpted from.

*snip*

You can try using the multiresolution mesh modifier with the sculpt tool in Blender.

I think Blender Foundation is going to focus in polishing their sculpt tools in the next updates for Blender, so give it a go, as it's already very usable ;)

This can help you out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pO58JyGh7SM
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    DK_Sword_001.jpg
    DK_Sword_002.jpg
    Dragon Knight Sword (if you cloudn't guess by yourself lol).

I think the dragon heads have to many to small details, but I'm so proud of it Im going to leave is as that and see what happen :D.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    5UTqjJY.png
    highpoly progress

plus a few alterations to the threads
    UXdhY8B.png
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i too think that calling names the guy who wants to help you is scummy :(
  • shellnut
    oh? Who is this hood for? Right now it looks pretty roughed out
    I would go in and retop and refine it more to clean it up. Unless the hood is made out of clay :)

LOL. Now I understand what ytou meant about the clay. I actually sculpted it from this low poly I made.. hehe

8600582163_feb390caa5_b.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    iniside wrote: »
    DK_Sword_001.jpg

Dragon Knight Sword (if you cloudn't guess by yourself lol).

I think the dragon heads have to many to small details, but I'm so proud of it Im going to leave is as that and see what happen :D.

Alright, a few suggestions here.
    First off, your mesh looks like its a bit messy, you might want to go in there and use TrimDynamic, Hpolish, and Polish around pretty much any flat area.
    The tip of the sword could use some sharpening, it looks like a butter knife right now.
    While the design is cool, I think that the dragon heads aren't going to read in-game at all. What I would suggest, is either making them bigger (way bigger, but not to compromise the sleekness of the sword), or remove the dragon heads, and scale up the wings a bit.
    What I usually do is zoom out roughly the distance you can see Dragon Knight in-game, and make sure that the shapes and forms are easily recognizable.
    For the handle, it's awesome, but is a bit bland (although I guess it doesn't matter since his hands are going to be covering it)

As I say, when in doubt---straps. It's Valve's love language.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i too think that calling names the guy who wants to help you is scummy :(

Hawf made it clear he did not want anyone to create his concepts without permission. You might have asked him, and he probably didn't respond, but that still doesn't give you the right to act in the way that you did. With that being said, the fact that you took his concept and just did it anyway shows you have no respect and think you can walk over anyone without justification. If I was working professional with someone and found out they did this I'd make sure to have them fired on the spot. If you wanted to help you would have just walked away.

So to reiterate, I called your behavior, actions, and way you treat people scummy.

I know we try to keep it professional on these forums, but sometimes things like this happen and we might have to get just a little bit dirty to make sure it doesn't happen again. I don't stand for things like this, even if he did take it down it wasn't right to begin with, Just because he did take it down doesn't mean he should be vindicated.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    the fact that you took his concept and just did it anyway shows you have no respect and think you can walk over anyone without justification.
    Woah, so making 3d models for your own enjoyment is the rude thing to do now? Wow, just wow.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    tumblr_mfcv0754GC1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    AHEM
    I don't think I ever gave you permission to use that let alone hear you ask me.

shame on you Vlad

now we need keep concepts as a secret?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, so making 3d models for your own enjoyment is the rude thing to do now? Wow, just wow.

Vlad, I'm really hoping this is sarcasm cause if it isn't your reading comprehension of the english language is that of a child. Would you care for me to explain on a much simpler level? I don't mind taking the time to help a fellow workshop contributor.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    shame on you Vlad

now we need keep concepts as a secret?
    It's like you're not even trying to think.
    People seriously assume that you can grab something and pose it as your own work and then post on the same place where you got it?
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    So much drama, sheesh.
    All of this, instead of just saying "Ok, let's do it".
    Guess i should start from the other angle, i'll just model something, and then you'll decide.

He stated clearly he was going to model one of Hawt's concepts to let him decide if he wanted the help.

I dunno if I'm missing something, but for now it looks like people are making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    So much drama, sheesh.

He stated clearly he was going to model one of Hawt's concepts to let him decide if he wanted the help.

I dunno if I'm missing something, but for now it looks like people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

And Hawf clearly has it in is megathread that no one create any of his works unless he allows it, nowhere so I see him accepting that offer.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    This issue clearly shows some problems the polycount dota 2 workshop community needs to address asap imho. I dont wanna make it too big of an issue but it clearly shows the need for some general guidelines so this wont happen in the future.

I am not a community member for long but I see some need for guidelines so that they are there and no one can say "sry i didnt know"

As tvidotto questioned, do we now have to keep our concepts secret to prevent fraud? I sure hope not cause I like the input it gives to the author of the works to improve and revise his/her ideas. I think I see where vlad is going with his arguement but I kinda have my doubts with it. I think it is totally fine if someone posts a concept and just for the lack of ideas or the pure enjoyment someone models that concept. End of Story - this would be fine to me if the model stays where it is - with the model creator and not in the workshop.
    The game gets turned upside down when someone then actually tries to submit it since then it gets really hairy with intellectual properties. I dont think this is cool no longer. But clear communication is key in this scenario. I would advice to message the concept creator and talk with him, show him the model you have done after his concept. Figure something out, maybe you could really cooperate, maybe he wants to do it on his own, then you have everything in the clear and should respect his decision.

But I am not making rules or guidelines here, if someone says "these are MY concepts, I show them for c/c and I clearly dont want them to be modeled by anyone else but me!" I think it is good artist/creative manners to respect that and not model them. Maybe you even model them just for the sake of modeling something for yourself, no one can hinder you or control you, but for the sake of good community and sportsmanship dont post it anywhere or mention anything about it. keep it to yourself and certainly dont submit it. We are alot of people who take a close look into the workshop, someone will notice and find out about such fraud attempts.

I am not taking sides in this vlad - hawt situation since I dont know much about it, but as I said I think we need to raise awareness and address these things as a community.

tldr; imho we need some guidelines, respect others work and decisions, communicate - win!
  • shellnut
    Rubus wrote: »
    You can try using the multiresolution mesh modifier with the sculpt tool in Blender.

I think Blender Foundation is going to focus in polishing their sculpt tools in the next updates for Blender, so give it a go, as it's already very usable ;)

This can help you out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pO58JyGh7SM

Wow. I didn't know blender sculpt can achieve such sculpt.. hehe. I usually just form vertex to vertex from the sketch. Thanks for this! :)
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    "New" Guidelines: 1) If a model is based on another person's concept, say so everywhere you post it. 2) Ask permission before submitting a work based on someone else's concept.

There. Done. Moving on. Is the drama over yet? Can we get back to modeling now?
  • Robbiek1000
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Bake and base textures done! Still very very WIP :)

mountcolor.jpg
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Alright, a few suggestions here.
    First off, your mesh looks like its a bit messy, you might want to go in there and use TrimDynamic, Hpolish, and Polish around pretty much any flat area.
    The tip of the sword could use some sharpening, it looks like a butter knife right now.
    While the design is cool, I think that the dragon heads aren't going to read in-game at all. What I would suggest, is either making them bigger (way bigger, but not to compromise the sleekness of the sword), or remove the dragon heads, and scale up the wings a bit.
    What I usually do is zoom out roughly the distance you can see Dragon Knight in-game, and make sure that the shapes and forms are easily recognizable.
    For the handle, it's awesome, but is a bit bland (although I guess it doesn't matter since his hands are going to be covering it)

As I say, when in doubt---straps. It's Valve's love language.

Thanks for feedback. Guess I will try to scale up heads and removing them and see which works better.
  • Robbiek1000
    @OniLolz - SO PRETTY!!!!!! My eye keeps being drawn to that seam behind his back leg. But besides that, SO PRETTY!