Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: aecoleman

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aecoleman polycounter lvl 6
Hi Polycount! I've been meaning to post here for a long while now. I freakin love this community, and am eager to get in on the action! I'll be using this thread to regularly update my sketchbook but also hopefully get some much needed CRIT! Any and all! Let me have it!

If you don't know me I'm Avery Coleman, Concept Artist/Illustrator. I've worked on mostly games like Darksiders 2 and League of Legends!

Just because I really haven't posted too much I'll just throw up some of the final work I've done in the last couple months or so to start things off!

These Blubber Busters Concepts have floated around but I think they're worth including here too.

Spacewhale_finaljpg
SW_PlayerChar_NURSEjpg
SW_PlayerChar_JANITORjpg
EMT-2jpg

Some personal Pieces

robot-demon-face-dudejpg
mail-man2jpg

I plan to keep this thing going here and to post regular style with finished work as well as process and tons of sketches. See you soon!

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Well, I think your work is absolutely fantastic so I can't be of any use to you right now. Hope to see some actual sketches though. Although your rendering is superb I'm very much interested in your design sensibilities, your process in that area and so on. Maybe you got some neat tricks or principles to share, another tool for the tool box so to speak.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    This is just full of yes! Ive been following you ever since darksiders 2 and to see you post here with your amazing work is so cool. Please spam that post button :).
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Dope dope dope! Looking forward to moar!
  • Spaceman
    Very cool stuff. Looks pretty clean. I like your color. :D
  • aecoleman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! Wow, thanks for the boost to the moral! Some bits from my sketchbook today.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
  • blue_skies
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    Oooh, didn't realize you were responsible for the awesome Blubber Busters concepts. I've been following its development on and off. I'm particularly in love with the colour schemes you used for those pieces.. all that awesome orange and teal. :)
  • aecoleman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Blue Skies - Thanks! We're really excited about the project.
    For anyone intrested in Blubber Busters, go check out the team's progress over here.

AimBiZ - I'd be happy to show ya some process shots of those paintings! I'll bring that up tomorrow no problem.

And now, more sketchbook for you Polycount!

7.jpg

8.jpg
  • aecoleman
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man I'm feeling the sketchbook addiction comming back. This is way fun! Here's a couple new pages for the pile!

10.jpg

9.jpg

Here's also a lil bit on some of my shameless half hazard process that was being asked about! Here's the Mail Man - Zombie Dog - Thingy's process shots:

Since the mail man piece was just for fun I didn't go though an elaborate design and planning process. I started with a sketch and put some quick quick value on it but then decided it was lame. It's sorta what i get for just going for it, but sometimes it's fun just to shoot from the hip :)

mail-man1.jpg

So I reposed him and drew up a new sketch. I gave him just enough shameless value to throw some color on him. I usually like to play with a mixture gradient map tools and straight up brush work, depending, just to plan out his color palette with a few ideas about his final value.

mail-man2.jpg

And from there its the render factory and adjusting as I go!

mail-man2.jpg

This is about as shameless as I get with my personal work at this level of finish. But this particular process gets me to near final ideas about what I want to do with color fast, and I dig that! Of course there's a million ways to do all of this, and I'm always experimenting. But I do tend to rely on some of this process more regularly for concepts.

Thanks for asking AimBiZ!
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for sharing. Indeed there's any way to do it. That's why it's important to watch many different artists and their approaches. In the end you do what fits you best but there's always ideas to be found everywhere.
    Generally, for refined rendering, doing one aspect of the image at a time certainly lends more control and less anxiety as you're taking it one step at a time. Something that can be easily forgotten when looking at the final image and seeing all those steps coming together at once.
    I really like your line weight. It gives everything a sense of mass, which is carried on to the painting.
  • aecoleman
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new pages to share! :)

11.jpg

12.jpg
  • Frawmus
    Will you marry me? I freaking love your art style!! I am just silent in awe at all your work. Incredible :)
  • Sweetangel0467
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    What an awesome find I got! How do you go about blending your lines into your rendered work?